Topic: Why stage piano don't work on stage?????

Am I the only who noticed that stage pianos sound terrible on stage????

We see some artists in small stages playing some good brand, like Roland, Yamaha, and the sound just get terrible, artificial, not piano like.

While in mp3 demos of digital pianos, stage pianos, or piano libraries, we heard a good timbre at least.
But take some of them and go to stage, and the piano just fails.

On youtube I'm tired to watch stage pianos fail all the time.

I just don't understand that... 
If somebody knows the answer to this enigma please tell me.

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-10-2009 22:03)

Re: Why stage piano don't work on stage?????

The stage piano sound depends more on actual sound amplification and actual ROOM where it is than how it sounds by itself.

Hard work and guts!

-In TV programs that have a very good sound system for all instruments, guitar, real acoustic pianos, bass, drums, vocal.

-In internet videos in HD, with stages with good overal sound for acoustic instruments .

-In videos of studios sessions live recording a band.

I never heard a stage piano sound well.  For me all sounded just crap on stage.

How could so much performances, so much stages, sound system be all wrong??????

If we heard Roland mp3 demos, Ivory demos, they will be ok.  But all stage recordings I watched sounded crap.

Haunted stages???????

Sound enginering technics conspiracy??????

I have no answers.

EvilDragon wrote:

The stage piano sound depends more on actual sound amplification and actual ROOM where it is than how it sounds by itself.

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-10-2009 02:40)

I guess it boils down to personal taste and how one feels while playing a stage piano. Some like it, some not. Some are using them because of portability factor, over sound quality.

Hard work and guts!

Well Beto, it might just be that stage pianos don't sound so great because they use samples.   And I suspect that the sample sizes in DP's, aren't even as large as sample libraries.  I tried many things to make my Roland KR7 sound good in a recording on a CD, but it didn't work - that's why I use Pianoteq.

DPs just can't have the same level of overtones that we can get from PTQ, or they would require a full fledged dual core or quad core computer inside.  And that would increase the cost too much.

I don't think there is a conspiracy - it's just not cost effective to have a better sound.  We users of PTQ are the only ones that have a reasonable non-acoustic sound.

I listened to another sample demo today:

http://www.soundemon.com/products/spiano.htm

I was NOT impressed at all, yet some thought it was good.  Go figure.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (20-10-2009 03:07)

So much of it also depends on the sound system. Even with a program like Pianoteq, there's always a weak link.

I've been doing some jazz gigs with pianoteq over the last year, playing through a Roland KC-350. When I'm playing through my studio monitors at home, or through my headphones, everything sounds great. But when I get to the gig, it seems like I'm fiddling with eq throughout the whole night, and I've never been happy with the tone that comes through my amp.

Tom

musictom wrote:

So much of it also depends on the sound system. Even with a program like Pianoteq, there's always a weak link.

I've been doing some jazz gigs with pianoteq over the last year, playing through a Roland KC-350. When I'm playing through my studio monitors at home, or through my headphones, everything sounds great. But when I get to the gig, it seems like I'm fiddling with eq throughout the whole night, and I've never been happy with the tone that comes through my amp.

Tom

When gigging, do you monitor the sound through headphones?  Or are you listening to the room acoustics and all the background noise?  I've never been to any restaurant or bar where the music sounded good - in fact it usually sounds awful what with the ambient noise of the crowd that tends to drown out all but the highest notes.

G

musictom wrote:

Of course, KC350 is a - amp. Get a better one. Preferably the one that doesn't say "Roland".

No, really, it's true. I haven't heard so much muddiness in an amp long before. Roland is not for good amps. Search for a Traynor, or Motion Sound, or JBL Eon, or Yamaha Stagepas, etc.

Hard work and guts!

I've also been messing around with the right amp system (tested Dynacord, Yamaha (stagepass), JBL, ElectroVoice, ....). Finally ended up with a Fohnn soundsystem which sounds much like a hifi system....but....do not forget about the cables.

You'll notice a huge difference in sound between different brands of cables. When using the wrong cables you get a tiny (almost nasal) sound in the midrange; all related with bandwidth. This is especially true for a difficult sound as the piano sound is.

Spending some more bucks (sometime a lot more) on cables (especially on stage were you need long cables from time to time; quality gets more important) is advisable. I'm using for example monster cables.

So a good sound is a combination of several aspects:

- good sound source; which is Pianoteq of course
- good cables
- good amplifying system

On stage there's always a trade of between sound quality and quantity. Of course related to the band's budget.

Unfortunately most people only look at the sound source when they think the sound is bad.

Last edited by hvaartsen (20-10-2009 09:23)

I still don't think cables matter THAT much to justify buying a 100$/feet or 1000$/feet cable to a 5-10$/feet cable.

Hard work and guts!

I have had excellent results with  the "GrooveTubes"  Spacestation SX   

http://www.groovetubes.com/SFX_Space_St...69C196.cfm

@EvilDragon

...it's 100 euro per 2 meter ;-)

Of course you'll only notice the difference when having a good PA. First I had some cables out of the box from the musichouse where I got my digital stagepiano from. When I changed to monster cables there was (to my hearing) a huge difference in sound quality, much brighter and fuller sound. All related to timing (phase correction) and bandwidth.

In fact my jack-plugged-monster cable gives better quality than my ten-in-a-dozen XLR cable. Also the speak-on monster cable I use adds to the quality.

I'm using the piano in a live jazzband where every aspect (or lack of) the pianosound can be heard especially when playing solos. If the piano is always part of a mix it is of course of lesser concern.

Statement of the day:
....as soon the weakest link is fixed, another weakest link becomes apparent......

this is especially true for set-ups and in the end your budget ;-))))

Last edited by hvaartsen (20-10-2009 11:18)

Oh purlease, let's not start eulogising about snake-oil cables.

100 euros per 2 meters? That's utterly ridiculous.

Hard work and guts!

:-)))))

My post was not about any specific cablebrand (oil or animal related) but more about the fact that the choice for a good brand can make a difference in sound.....and to look at the complete picture and not at specific parts of a setup.

Last edited by hvaartsen (20-10-2009 11:45)

By all means record some WAV files of the same instrument and PA played in the same room, with the only difference being a monster cable and an ordinary cable,
and let us invert the phase of the WAVs and see if every bit cancels or not

"Snake-oil" doesn't refer to a brand, it's an English phrase.

"...the most common usage of the phrase is as a derogatory term for compounds offered as medicines which implies that they are fake, fraudulent, quackish, or ineffective. The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with exaggerated marketing, but questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit."

(Thank you, Wikipedia!)

Last edited by EvilDragon (20-10-2009 12:04)
Hard work and guts!

Yes I knew that ;-) ..it was just to point out that the discussion got a bit of topic; finally it went more about brands (actually one specific brand) and less about points to consider when making a setup.

Last edited by hvaartsen (20-10-2009 13:19)

hvaartsen wrote:

Statement of the day:
....as soon the weakest link is fixed, another weakest link becomes apparent......

this is especially true for set-ups and in the end your budget ;

As a structural engineer (responsible for the overall strength of a building), I can assure you that the weakest link is normally what causes a building to fail.

And I strongly suspect this applies to other endeavours too.

Glenn

of course it does! just look for example (and I apologise in advance to mac users) at windows performance index. The final number they come up with for measuring the performance of your windows PC is the lowest subscore!

The only problem is that they did not had good cables in old times:

PunBB bbcode test

;-)

One of the very few acceptables digital piano sounds on stage was Pianoteq in this comparison with Petrof pianos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0O1pC6...r_embedded

But the camera was far and there is a lot of natural reverberation.

I think Hugh Sung used just the digital baby Grand piano hoster as speaker sound source. I see no extra speaker there.

In this case we can compare the real grand piano, in this case Petrof, and Pianoteq, in the same room. Petrof got a more powerfull sound, cause the large piano body it's much more powerfull than a digital baby grand piano speakers.
But the sound quality itself have no much difference.

Another performance of Pianoteq, in the same digital baby grand hoster and in the same room:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr-k0_C_7Y8

If anybody find a good quality video of a digital baby grand piano on a large room, using it's own sound banks timbre please send me.

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-10-2009 03:58)

Beto: there's a couple of things you have to take in account. One, live we almost all the time deal with mono signal paths, but stage pianos are mostly sampled in stereo.To "mono" the signal, you take it from the L jack and IMO it always sucks big time because of the way they sum both channels (phase cancellation). I always use hi fi stereo monitors. Here comes the second thing, which is that live we use stage monitors of fairly high SPL rate, which use horn coupled tweeters (drivers in fact) that can sound awfully bad with pianos because of ringing of both the driver and the horn itself in the midrange, not to speak of the crossover network, which could cause very bad phase distortion and, if passive, ringing. I would definitly use studio monitors with phenolic or silk tweeters very close maybe on top of the piano itself, and everything goes just fine. One more: using stereo "combo" amps like Rolands or so, I founded that the speakers use to be too close each other and it definitely messes the stereo field, many times producing severe  phase cancellation. Hope this help !

Last edited by romantic (30-10-2009 18:24)

In addidtion to how different sound system effect the live sound I think one reason why sampled pianos sounds bad live may be that when you raise the level of a sound you offen get a lot of information that you don’t want to hear. For instance you have the sound of the room where the piano is recorded. In a consert hall or a club you already are in a room and you don’t want to here a room in the room s t s. Likewise sounds from within the instrument like what’s called globale resonans, quadratic effect an duplex scale  in Pianoteq 3, may come out to strong when the level is high.

The situation is similar to when micing an acoustic piano on stage and that’s one reason to put the mices close to the strings. Not only to avoid leakage from other instruments. From a lot of touring with jazz ensembles and playing all kind of pianos I found out that for instance, generally speaking, it is harder to amplify a Bösendorfer than a Yamaha because the Bösendorfer have a lot more of strong overtones which may become disturbing at a high level.

I haven’t yet had the opportunity to try out v3 of Pianoteq on stage but I think it looks promissing with all the possibilities there are to reduce such unwanted effects on stage without to much damage of the initial sound quality. And to make the piano smoothly fit in the mix and be heard without having to play to loud which also can drive you crazy when playing in a band.

Thank you all for the interesting theories.

But consider that, a real piano never sound different than a real thing.  No matter the how bad is the sound sytem, the speakers, the cables, the sound balance etc.
A real piano can sound bad, low, but will always sound like a piano on stage.  While a sampled stage piano most of times sounds bad, even the good ones with interesting MP3 demo on internet.

A stage piano can just be connected to a sound speaker, or the sound signal be captured from the output to a TV station, rather than capture from camera's mic in the live show.

Some stage pianos do use anechoic samples (or sounds *derived* from anechoic samples) I'm pretty sure the Kurzweil 1000 series did (going back a bit!), and a quick Google reveals that the Kawai MP8II does too.  I wonder whether it has become less common nowadays, though?
Charles Helpinstill certainly seems to think that most do NOT use anechoic samples: http://www.helpinstill.com/
(see the paragraph "A Helpinstill for your Digital Piano?")

Greg.

Last edited by skip (02-11-2009 10:47)

In my ears amplified music NEVER sounds REALLY good compared to non-amplified acoustic music.

Unfortunately in modern music practice that is often not an option.
My unamplified grand piano sounds beautiful, but Pianoteq is my second best choice if amplification is necessary. I think it is easier to get a good amplified sound on stage using Pianoteq than when using (good and expensive) microphones and a real (grand) piano. Good miking and mixing is a difficult job that is often done ... well ... less than perfect ;-)

I have just bought PianoTeq3 and am amazed by the quality of the sound (I can hear strings throbbing as they die away - never heard that before other than on a real piano). It has changed the way that I play. And the Erard piano is so beautiful. Thank you MODARTT.

But I want to play the piano out on gigs. When I put the output through an amp (Roland KC-150) it sounds terrible, as if playing in a box. (KC-350 is no better). I have had this problem for all of the piano sounds I have ever tried over the last 2 years (GX-300, JV1080, TG77). Sounds fine thru headphone and thru PA systems. but thru these amps - hopeless. Even at home. Have tried a GEQ, which helps a bit. Now with the high quality of the PianoTeq sound this is becoming really important to fix, since i cant issue headphones to the entire audience! Several things I dont understand: 1) Electric Pianos dont sound too bad thru the amps (a mixture of the GX300 and JV1080 thru the GEQ gives a playable sound) 2) The spec of the amps claim it to be a flat frequence response. So what is going on here? Should I buy some studio monitors?

David, is this just a stereo/mono problem? Pianos can sound bad when mixed to mono. Electric pianos are naturally mono so shouldn't suffer so much. If you play Pianoteq through headphones and set output to Monophonic, do you hear the same boxy sound?

I have tried to search for a good sound for myself  for 10 years now (what is coming out to audience is other thing). I can say it's (almost) a battle you cannot win.  Let's suppose that there are two or more loudspeakers towards audience and then maybe subwoofers also. No matter how good monitors you have, this sound system is giving you terrible sound backwards or after different reflections this sound at your position is terrible anyway. Then let's put there 85dBs or more noise coming from audience. More often than not there are drummers or guitar players destroying everything... Sorry no bonus. All you can do is make a good monitor EQ for yourself: I usually cut the low frequencies (they are coming elsewhere). Then you have to beat the bad sound which means that you have play your monitors loud enough.

mooks, I have tried in my previous sets ups using two separate amps, one per channel, each being mono, so no mixing. Apart from the pleasing effect of stereo placement keys it still sounds like in a box. I could try this with Pianotec i guess.

Ecaroh, i cannot get any decent sound in any direction, even in my quiet room at home. I have tried to cut out a specific frequency band via the GEQ, (the amp is obviously booming at that frequency). which helps a bit but it is still nothing like the sound that is actually coming out of the synth. Maybe more experimentation on my part will help. I just dont understand why a manufacturer would build and sell a "keyboard amplifier" that severely distorts the sound.

thank you for the replies

David Mott wrote:

mooks, I have tried in my previous sets ups using two separate amps, one per channel, each being mono, so no mixing. Apart from the pleasing effect of stereo placement keys it still sounds like in a box. I could try this with Pianotec i guess.

Ecaroh, i cannot get any decent sound in any direction, even in my quiet room at home. I have tried to cut out a specific frequency band via the GEQ, (the amp is obviously booming at that frequency). which helps a bit but it is still nothing like the sound that is actually coming out of the synth. Maybe more experimentation on my part will help. I just dont understand why a manufacturer would build and sell a "keyboard amplifier" that severely distorts the sound.

thank you for the replies

I know exactly what you mean. Most (maybe 90%) of those so called keyboard amps aren't capable to give a good acoustic piano sound. One thing is that this stereo/mono thing but that doesn't tell the whole story. I've tested few and same conclusion: there's no EQ setting for piano. My stage-choise has been using two monitors (stereo) setup and my left monitor is littlebit bigger giving more bass. I also mix there some other band if it is needed. On left side I use Yamaha MSR-100 and right side I use  TC Helicon's VSM300XT. These two give me enough flexibility to make my sound tolerable (many times not very good still). Both of them has their own EQ.

Last edited by Ecaroh (09-01-2010 00:46)

romantic wrote:

Beto: there's a couple of things you have to take in account. One, live we almost all the time deal with mono signal paths, but stage pianos are mostly sampled in stereo.To "mono" the signal, you take it from the L jack and IMO it always sucks big time because of the way they sum both channels (phase cancellation). I always use hi fi stereo monitors. Here comes the second thing, which is that live we use stage monitors of fairly high SPL rate, which use horn coupled tweeters (drivers in fact) that can sound awfully bad with pianos because of ringing of both the driver and the horn itself in the midrange, not to speak of the crossover network, which could cause very bad phase distortion and, if passive, ringing. I would definitly use studio monitors with phenolic or silk tweeters very close maybe on top of the piano itself, and everything goes just fine. One more: using stereo "combo" amps like Rolands or so, I founded that the speakers use to be too close each other and it definitely messes the stereo field, many times producing severe  phase cancellation. Hope this help !

I'm in agreement here pretty much. It's got to be stereo piano that I'M hearing, regardless of whether the front of house system is stereo or mono. So I'll rig up a second amp for myself.

At least with stereo we've got a shot at making ourselves sound good. And, as romantic said, the speakers are critical too. That's a hard call. I've got two small Soundtech speakers, each with a 10" and a piezo tweeter, and they sound better, and more natural, than my more expensive 15" 3-ways. Maybe it is the drivers, and too much midrange, I haven't figured that out yet.

Michael

I can't believe in 21 century, with digital age in full power, we are talking about the high diffcult to just reproduce a damn piano sound in a place.

Can you put a CD with a piano recording in a reasonable sound system and have a sound that do not sound like a crap?   Yes we can.
So why would be so difficult to reproduce a damn piano sound while playing a stage piano???

I saw Elton John performing in a stage piano, a Youtube video.  Ohhn God, that was a "sin".

If the top sound enginiers, who prepare the sound system to the worldwide famous performances, and have a huge budget to spent with sound quality,  cannot do a good final sound, I think no one can do.

m.tarenskeen wrote:

In my ears amplified music NEVER sounds REALLY good compared to non-amplified acoustic music.

Unfortunately in modern music practice that is often not an option.
My unamplified grand piano sounds beautiful, but Pianoteq is my second best choice if amplification is necessary. I think it is easier to get a good amplified sound on stage using Pianoteq than when using (good and expensive) microphones and a real (grand) piano. Good miking and mixing is a difficult job that is often done ... well ... less than perfect ;-)

Some late night ramblings - shoot me down is you wish - I have thick skin:

The only instrument I can think of that is by nature a stereo instrument would be a pipe organ with its pipes covering a large wall.

While a piano has a relatively large sound board compared to other instruments with sound boards, it's essentially a mono sound source.

Saxes, violins, guitars, whatever you choose, they are not stereo.

Hopefully I don't rile anyone's feathers with this, but most of us have been conditioned to think (and believe) that the bass sounds come from the left side of the piano, and treble from the right.

Hmmm, how do we explain the fact that the bass and treble strings in a grand piano cross each other?  And in some grands (Steinway), the treble bridge curves back towards the keyboard end, so that it's semi-parallel with the main bridge (treble strings under bass strings).  Many grands have two bridges, but the Steinway has connected the two connected into one continuous bridge.

With this in mind, how can the bass sounds come from the left and the treble from the right?

I'm wondering if the problems stem from the fact that digital pianos have stereo separation between bass and treble, whereas acoustic pianos have no left and right channel.

Jazz trios play on stage with amplification, but they generally use an acoustic piano, and even though there may be two mics on the piano, they can't really create left and right separation.  But digital pianos are forced to use left/right separation.

Any thoughts on this?

Glenn

Well, late nights are good for rambling.

I think a lot of it's in how we define stereo. A basic definition is the use of two microphones to get a ' three dimensional' effect.

I'd argue that any physical acoustic instrument is three dimensional in every way by it's very nature. Sound radiates, reflects off surfaces, etc, there's time delay, there's the effect of our hearing sound/instruments with two opposing ears. Stereo sound reproduction over speakers is just an attempt at duplicating what already exists in nature. Surround sound, quadraphonic etc are other attempts.

I can't argue that a piano, or a guitar, or any instrument is stereo, because 'stereo' is just a poor approximation of the sensation of hearing an acoustic instrument. My opinion, not meaning to be argumentative..

Michael

Michael H wrote:

Well, late nights are good for rambling.

I think a lot of it's in how we define stereo. A basic definition is the use of two microphones to get a ' three dimensional' effect.

I'd argue that any physical acoustic instrument is three dimensional in every way by it's very nature. Sound radiates, reflects off surfaces, etc, there's time delay, there's the effect of our hearing sound/instruments with two opposing ears. Stereo sound reproduction over speakers is just an attempt at duplicating what already exists in nature. Surround sound, quadraphonic etc are other attempts.

I can't argue that a piano, or a guitar, or any instrument is stereo, because 'stereo' is just a poor approximation of the sensation of hearing an acoustic instrument. My opinion, not meaning to be argumentative..

Michael

Good points.  Not argumentative.

If DP manufacturers "align" the bass towards one channel, and treble towards the other (and it seems they do), then I'm asking if this couldn't be a part of the problem when it comes to playing live with a DP?

In Pianoteq, I use two mics - one above and one below the piano.  I don't sense much if any separation between bass and treble (when I sit at the computer with a pair of near field monitors).  Yet I seem to with my own DP's internal sound.  Or am I imagining it?  When one sweeps through an arpeggio from bass to treble, one gets an overwhelming sensation that the sound starts on our left and sweeps to the right.  Having owned a grand for twenty-odd years, I felt this.  But further reflection and observation has led me to rethink this.

It's bothering me that an acoustic grand can be miced and not seem to be problematic, but DP's don't work as well.  Why?

G

Last edited by Glenn NK (09-01-2010 07:55)

David Mott wrote:

I have just bought PianoTeq3 and am amazed by the quality of the sound (I can hear strings throbbing as they die away - never heard that before other than on a real piano). It has changed the way that I play. And the Erard piano is so beautiful. Thank you MODARTT.

But I want to play the piano out on gigs. When I put the output through an amp (Roland KC-150) it sounds terrible, as if playing in a box. (KC-350 is no better). I have had this problem for all of the piano sounds I have ever tried over the last 2 years (GX-300, JV1080, TG77). Sounds fine thru headphone and thru PA systems. but thru these amps - hopeless. Even at home.

David, when using amps and loudspeakers (contrarily to headphones), I think it is important to start with a very dry sound. I suggest that you try some of the driest presets, such as “C3 Close Mic”, “Erard Under Lid”, “YC5 Studio Close Mic”, turn the reverb off, and eventually increase the “Sound Speed” at its maximum to the right.

Beto-Music wrote:

I can't believe in 21 century, with digital age in full power, we are talking about the high diffcult to just reproduce a damn piano sound in a place.

Can you put a CD with a piano recording in a reasonable sound system and have a sound that do not sound like a crap?   Yes we can.
So why would be so difficult to reproduce a damn piano sound while playing a stage piano???

I saw Elton John performing in a stage piano, a Youtube video.  Ohhn God, that was a "sin".

If the top sound enginiers, who prepare the sound system to the worldwide famous performances, and have a huge budget to spent with sound quality,  cannot do a good final sound, I think no one can do.

You have to wonder what the engineers in these companies that make keyboard amps (mentioning no names)  think when they actually hear the output when they test them for quality in their labs. Especially when other parts of the company must have spend so much development effort in generating a nice audio signal in the first place (not of course as nice as PianoTeq

David, only if it's a wordwilde conspiration, cause all stage piano, of all brands, as far as I saw many videos and recordings, sounds crap in a stage.
Háaa háaa háaa.

I'm glad many people posted in this topic, thank to all who posted here.  But the mistery it's still here, and no explanation fully solved that.

I think that even the best sampled library if connected to a stage piano will still have that problem of the sound on stage.

Man has reached the moon but can't reproduce a piano sound on stage.     :-(

Last edited by Beto-Music (09-01-2010 19:55)

This is what I think is going on:
Stage amps and PA systems are built for audio efficiency (loudness) rather than fidelity. Electric instruments (guitars, synths, electric pianos) all sound OK through them because we're used to hearing these sounds being strongly coloured by effects and amps, and there's no natural acoustic reference point for them. But an acoustic piano covers the whole audio spectrum, we know exactly what they should sound like and we are very sensitive to colouration of their sound.

Maybe it's just a question of buying the best quality full-range amps you can.

A acoustic grand piano sound ok on stage, and they get a mic and the sound go to a amp too.   
So how do you explain the acoustic grand piano sound ok on stage, even when it's a performance to a large audience in a stadium?

mooks wrote:

This is what I think is going on:
Stage amps and PA systems are built for audio efficiency (loudness) rather than fidelity. Electric instruments (guitars, synths, electric pianos) all sound OK through them because we're used to hearing these sounds being strongly coloured by effects and amps, and there's no natural acoustic reference point for them. But an acoustic piano covers the whole audio spectrum, we know exactly what they should sound like and we are very sensitive to colouration of their sound.

Maybe it's just a question of buying the best quality full-range amps you can.

Last edited by Beto-Music (09-01-2010 21:38)

Glenn NK wrote:

Some late night ramblings - shoot me down is you wish - I have thick skin:

The only instrument I can think of that is by nature a stereo instrument would be a pipe organ with its pipes covering a large wall.

[....]

While a piano has a relatively large sound board compared to other instruments with sound boards, it's essentially a mono sound source.

Any thoughts on this?

Glenn

Glenn: I disagree completely with mono idea - well, I think that was kind of late night provocation, am I right? In my opinion piano isn't neither mono nor stereo but if you have to choose one, take stereo for sure! Think about sitting on front of a grand with lid open: sound is multidimensional, that's for sure. How many speakers do you need to reach the same feeling? I don't know. Roland's V-piano has possibility to use 4 speakers but how well it works? I don't that either. Anyway test - if you haven't yet done it - two monitor's setup against (no matter how good) mono monitor. I'll promise you will choose stereo setup. When two speakers are well placed and EQ-configured they can "fool" you quite nicely that sound is coming under your fingers, not from one/two sources. And with mono (or one amp-system) there's always problem of placing: where to put the monitor? In front of you? With two monitors placing is easy: one to left and one to right and both towards your ears. In fact positioning is VERY important: put them same level as your ears and also quite close to you. F***in up stage piano sound is very easy with far away floor monitors... That's why I don't ever thrust those guys who promise to handle monitoring - I bring my own with me.

Last edited by Ecaroh (10-01-2010 09:36)

Beto,

A lot of times, I've heard what I'd consider good sound from digital pianos. Usually it's on a live music TV show, the Grammy awards, or something like that. At a live concert I can only recall once when the digital piano sounded great, usually it wasn't good at all. So, I think it can be done, with some efffort and knowledge, but usually isn't.

At home, I've taken both Ivory and Pianoteq, and played them through different speaker systems and amps. To compare the piano sound I'm getting, I'll then play some recordings. Using a hifi system I can get both to sound great. Using good pro gear only the recording sounds great, and Ivory/PTeq don't sound good at all. Perhaps it's too much midrange emphasis, the tonal spectrum being too spread out, or whatever, I don't know.

So I suspect that it's the processing that goes into a recording- compression, normalization and the like- that makes the difference.

Michael

Michael H wrote:

Beto,

A lot of times, I've heard what I'd consider good sound from digital pianos. Usually it's on a live music TV show, the Grammy awards, or something like that. At a live concert I can only recall once when the digital piano sounded great, usually it wasn't good at all. So, I think it can be done, with some efffort and knowledge, but usually isn't.

At home, I've taken both Ivory and Pianoteq, and played them through different speaker systems and amps. To compare the piano sound I'm getting, I'll then play some recordings. Using a hifi system I can get both to sound great. Using good pro gear only the recording sounds great, and Ivory/PTeq don't sound good at all. Perhaps it's too much midrange emphasis, the tonal spectrum being too spread out, or whatever, I don't know.

So I suspect that it's the processing that goes into a recording- compression, normalization and the like- that makes the difference.

Michael

Michael, I dont quite understand what you mean by the "recordings" (the ones that sounded good). Are these a CD? or a recording you made of the playing (or a recording of direct sound output from Pianoteq?). BTW I did once hear a really good sound from my keyboard (Roland GX-300) when it was put thru a PA system in a large public hall. I could not believe how beautiful the sound was (unfortunately my playing quality did not match the sound quality). So it can be done. Maybe I will ask the sound engineer who did it.

Hi David,

Yes, I meant a store bought CD, not something I recorded, sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Michael