Topic: Need help understanding longitudinal and transversal string motion.

Once upon a time, I thought I understood that transversal vibration (the visible vibrations of strings, like the vibrations you see on a guitar string) were relatively unimportant in creating a note. The nodes\partials were instead formed along the string as the hammer impact caused disruptions along the length of the string that"bounced back" from the pins\braces on each end of the string, and ran into each other, creating "standing waves" that constituted the nodes, and that these nodes at the same time transferred via the bridge to the soundboard, where they were eventually (over a few milliseconds) isolated into distinct locations. If that's the case, how does the transversal vibration of each string come into play?

Does the transversal vibration mainly function to create the fundamental, while the longitudinal vibration creates both the fundamental and the other partials? Is the transversal vibration responsible for the higher amplitude of the fundamental? We hear the freq from both the transversal and the longitudinal vibrations, so the amplitude is summed? Is that why the bass strings, unable to vibrate much transversally, have a fundamental at a lower amplitude?

(This worry doesn't come out of the blue--an article on transients mentions that the longitudinal force reaches the bridge before the transversal force, and I was surprised that this was surprising, but at the same time led to wonder about the contribution of the transversals.)

Last edited by Jake Johnson (05-09-2009 02:33)

Re: Need help understanding longitudinal and transversal string motion.

Hello Jake,

I would like to respond to your questions about transverse (flexure) vibrational modes, and longitudinal (back-and-forth rippling) vibrational modes of piano strings and how they relate to especially bass strings.

Here are your original questions:
Does the transverse vibration mainly function to create the fundamental, while the longitudinal vibration creates both the fundamental and the other partials? Is the transversal vibration responsible for the higher amplitude of the fundamental? We hear the freq from both the transverse and the longitudinal vibrations, so the amplitude is summed? Is that why the bass strings, unable to vibrate much transversely, have a fundamental at a lower amplitude?

In longitudinal modes of vibration, energy propagates lengthwise along the string (as periodic compressions of the string material) without sidewise (transverse) motion of the string. Longitudinal and transverse vibrations of a piano string can occur simultaneously. However, the lowest-frequency longitudinal mode of a piano string is always more than TEN TIMES THE FREQUENCY of the lowest-frequency transverse mode.

The longitudinal "ripple" is a property of the steel wire strung at a certain tension.  The reason why the frequency is up to ten times higher than the transverse vibrational frequency, has to do with the strength of the iron bonds in the steel wire.

Piano technicians are able to experience the importance of the longitudinal mode when they install new bass strings on a piano;  they sometimes notice that the string sounds better when it is tuned to the wrong fundamental frequency! After some study it became apparent that the reason had to do with the longitudinal mode. The first longitudinal mode of a piano string normally occurs at a frequency somewhere in the range between 3 octaves plus a fifth and 4 octaves plus a third above the "normal" fundamental transverse frequency of a string. This range is determined by certain design constraints related to the properties of piano wire that are common to all present-day pianos.

A piano tuner only tunes the transverse, or flexural, modes of the strings by changing the tension of the strings as he turns the tuning pins. A piano tuner can do nothing to affect the frequency of the longitudinal mode because turning the tuning pins doesn't change it. The longitudinal frequency of a plain steel string in a piano can be changed only by altering its speaking length. 

IN TERMS OF LONGITUDINAL FREQUENCY OF PIANO STINGS, THE LONGITUDINAL FREQUENCY OF A PLAIN, UN-WRAPPED STEEL STRING CAN BE CHANGED ONLY BY ALTERING ITS SPEAKING LENGTH.  In the case of WRAPPED PIANO STRINGS, the longitudinal mode can be tuned only in two ways: either by changing the speaking length or by changing the weight of the wrapping wire in relation to the weight of the core wire OR BY CHANGING THE WEIGHT OF THE COPPER WRAPPING WIRE IN RELATION TO THE MASS OF THE STEEL CORE WIRE.

So, the tuning of the longitudinal mode is established, either deliberately or accidentally, by the designer of the piano; and, as a practical matter, it cannot be changed after the piano has been built. IN TERMS OF PIANOTEQ SOFTWARE, IT IS THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE TO ALTER THE "WEIGHT" OF THE WRAPPINGS ON BASS STRINGS TO ALTER THE LONGITUDINAL FREQUENCIES.

In designing a piano nowadays, it is possible to tune the longitudinal modes of its strings to those frequencies that will make the piano sound best. The longitudinal mode is important in determining the tone color of the bass and tenor regions of the piano. The longitudinal mode creates a formant-like emphasis in the tone at its own frequency, with the result that some tunings of the longitudinal mode sound much better than others. In particular, it is desirable to have the longitudinal mode tuned so that it blends harmoniously with the tone from the transverse modes. This can be achieved by careful and deliberate choices in the design of the strings and scale of the instrument.

The above discussion was somewhat technical, but I hope it helps answer some of your questions.

Cheers,

Joe <jcfelice88keys>

Hello Jake,

Here are two audio files that demonstrate differences in longitudinal waves.  Six different notes were tuned on the same piano, but the strings were each tuned to the same G2 note (transverse frequency).  Listen as you hear the overtones of the longitudinal frequencies change.  In the second example, you will hear the familiar tune "Yankee Doodle" in the overtones, despite the fundamental transverse frequency remaining at G2 (the second G below middle C).

http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectur...mple_4.mp3

http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectur...mple_5.mp3

These two mp3 files are courtesy of the Five Lectures on Piano Design by John Conklin, Jr.

Enjoy,

Joe

Joe:

Thanks for the links - very interesting - and enlightening.

Now I know why some of the lowest notes on my Yamaha G2E sounded odd.

I wonder how many piano techs know of this phenomenon?

While the piano was on warranty, they suggested trying changing a few strings, but they couldn't guarantee it would solve the problem.

There's far more to piano design and construction than most are aware of.

Glenn

Thanks. Great, interesting information. Seems that there's more and more to learn.

I ran across something else of interest in considering the contributions to "timbre"-- that the tranversal movement changes, the string at first moving perpendicular to the soundboard (in the direction it's forced by the hammer), and then parallel to the soundboard, and then changing back and forth between these two axises. Apparently this alternation causes shifts in the partial structure and contributes to the compound decay, since the soundboard is relatively flexible in the first direction and very resistant in the other. This may be what the Sound speed parameter is emulating, in part. Hard to imagine what happens when there are three strings, detuned unisons that go in and out of phase in their own way, too. Here's the link:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache%3AO...&gl=us

Going in the other direction, this article discusses emulating the sound of a string (a guitar string, however) being damped, taking into consideration the two directions that the transveral vibrations move.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:HeR...&gl=us

Calculus is not my strong point. I don't pretend to be able to follow all of the equations. Just sharing these articles. Would a thread compiling all of the links we find be valuable?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (08-09-2009 15:28)

Jake Johnson wrote:

Just sharing these articles. Would a thread compiling all of the links we find be valuable?

I would be interested in a thread that shares these kinds of articles.  They are quite interesting.

(Sorry--a long, thinking on the page, post.)

The more I think about it, the more I worry about the notion of the soundboard being flexed\vibrated more by the perpendicular than the parallel tranversals. Since the bridge carries the vibration to the soundboard, wouldn't both motions be transferred as downward pressure only? Or does the bridge spread the parallel tranversals across the soundboard more, while the initial perpendicular motion is  at first forced down the soundboard in a comparatively narrower shape? Well, given that path, it might still work out that the narrower band of concentrated force would flex the soundboard more, while the parallel transversals would spread the vibrations out more across the bridge and soundboard, and thus flex it less deeply, but more widely? Hard strikes would reveal this shift in the initial focus of the force the most? It would all depend on the bridge-- the degree to which it could transfer the force left and right, and its breakpoint--the point at which it was unable to transfer the motion laterally and the force of the vibrations were carried across its grain? (Or would that be a literal breakpoint--would so much force be needed that the bridge would crack?)

More generally, the two different kinds of transversals might help with a question that we had earlier--the extent to which the sound is localized near the string. The initial perpendicular force gives a very brief sense of direction (either just creating a loudish sound at the bridge or very briefly overcoming the bridge's tendency to spread the vibrations along its width before they go down the soundboard, or both) that is retained by the mind, even though the sense of direction is actually diffused quickly as the lateral motion almost immediately spreads the vibrations across the bridge and down the soundboard? That would explain why micing for the strings works. (On the other hand, come to think of it, regardless of the lateral and parallel tranversals and the movement along the soundboard, there would be an early sound at the bridge, and the mic could just be picking up that, the hammer sound, and the keybed sound, so the ear registers these together to create a sense of the general direction from which the sound comes.)

I wonder if there is a cross-over or equalization point--a moment at which the perpendicular vibrations attenuate to the same (rising?) amplitude as the parallel vibrations? Boggles the mind, in any case, how these vibrations would interact with the phasing of detuned unisons. Not just  a matter of shifting amplitudes? If the force of each vibration along either axis varies over time, each pulse will create a different partial structure? Might be linear changes if the decay and increase were regular, but the exchange of energy wouldn't be so simple, given the other variables of the soundboard and bridge resistance along either axis, etc? And would the crossover point,in terms of time, vary with velocity--a hard strike would cause the parallel transversals to be louder longer? The mind reels with all of the variables...A closed system, but a very complex one.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (08-09-2009 22:42)

Hi Jake,

let me just add my 2c to this. It's an interesting discussion of a complex problem as you say yourself.

(It is really useful to look at the Five lectures on the acoustics of the piano found here: http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/ if you're interested in these topics.)

Regarding the coupling of the strings to the soundboard: the main factor is the impedance of the coupling between the two, in other words how easy it is for the string to excite the motion of the soundboard.
The perpendicular motion has a low impedance, so it can easily excite the soundboard, but this excitation will decay quickly as the energy of that mode is transferred from the string to the soundboard.
The parallel mode has high impedance, it starts out with low amplitude but does not decay quickly.
This makes one of the characteristics of the piano tone: the loud early tone with fast decay plus the second tone, which takes over later and has a very long decay time.

About the localization of the oscillations on the soundboard: The way I understand it every excitation will essentially move the entire soundboard. This is most effective when you hit a resonance. Every resonance of the board has a very special distribution of it's oscillation maxima and minima - so it's more a soundboard property where a particular frequency can in turn be transmitted to air waves. This may be different for every tone.

These resonances also play a major role in the impedance for individual strings: If a string is coupled to the soundboard at a location, where it's own frequency has a maximum of the oscillation of the soundboard, it is very easily transmitted and may sound much louder than a neighboring string, which happens to sit at an oscillation node of its own frequency.

I'd forgotten that Weinreich writes about vertical and horizontal motion, since his focus is on the effects of detuning unisons. (I think I posted a link to those same lectures, at some point. Need to start reading my own links a little better and more often.)

Glenn NK wrote:

Joe:

I wonder how many piano techs know of this phenomenon?

This thread was an ah-ha moment, in relation to tuning/intonating 12 string guitars. I had forgotten about longitudinal modes in strings, and have been puzzled why my 12 string sounded better with the lowest string detuned. (I use a software strobe tuner that analyzes the signal to 0.1 cent, and can also measure the 2nd and 3rd harmonic frequencies). I wonder how many guitar techs (and lutiers) know of this phenomenon?

I don't know about the availabilty of piano strings, but guitarists have a healthy choice, especially in wound strings - different thickness of core, different shape of core, different thickness of winding, different alloys, etc. Clearly, with so many different instruments around, there cannot be such as thing as a "best" (-sounding) guitar string, only best on a particular guitar.

More closely on topic, I prefer not to think of types of vibration being transmitted within the instrument. What is transmitted is energy, insofar as the arrangement and coupling of the parts allows. The instrument's parts have their own preferential modes of vibration. It is also possible for  energy to be transmitted "backwards", i.e. from soundboard to string. This is how sympathetic resonances arise.

The same reasoning applies by analogy to electronic audio equipment -- and with analogous effects: a loudspeaker will try to drive the amplifier thru back-emf; the output stages of an amplifier will try to drive the power supply. If interaction occurs, then the desired transfer of energy will suffer from defects - distortion of the audio signal. Fortunately, some amp techs know of this phenomenon!

Jake Johnson wrote:

I'd forgotten that Weinreich writes about vertical and horizontal motion, since his focus is on the effects of detuning unisons. (I think I posted a link to those same lectures, at some point. Need to start reading my own links a little better and more often.)

I think that Weinreich’s main contribution in his paper “Coupled piano strings”, JASA 62, 1977, was the fact that the so-called double decay had another reason than vertical and horizontal motion (besides, double decay can in the latter case occur even with a single string): when they are very closely tuned, coupled string can have both slow and fast decaying vertical modes. Discussing the case of two strings, he noticed that when they oscillate vertically in phase, they transmit efficiently their energy to the soundboard, thus a fast decay (in the same way as peitzmann reports in his post above), whereas if they oscillate vertically in opposite phase, almost no energy is transmitted, thus a slow decay. I believe that in the case of the piano, this is the main reason for the double decay. The horizontal motion does exist of course, but its contribution is less than the slow vertical modes with slow decay.

The conclusion of his paper: “In any case, one could expect to build a better piano if the aftersound could be more deliberately controlled through an appropriate understanding of the soundboard” was a great encouragement for building a virtual piano, as what a better control can you get as controlling directly the soundboard impedance in the virtual world?

very interesting discussion;thanks to all.