Topic: Composition contest - voting thread

COMPOSITION CONTEST - VOTING

Rules:

Voting ends on Sep 15. Modartt will give the final votes on Sep 16 when the winner will be announced.

Listen to each one of all the entries below in its entirety at least 2-3 times.
(to get a more fair opinion, wait one day in between each time)

You can find some additional information about each entry:
- in the initial contest thread (here)
- in the files section (here)

All members of this forum can vote. Just reply in this thread. Feel free to explain your decision if you like.

All contestants must vote for one of the competing entries.

One vote allowed per member and IP address.

Click on each entry to listen:

1. Aurora
2. Wings of Passion
3. Bagatelle No 13
4. Unreachable
5. Destination
6. Drifting Clouds
7. Espagnolades
8. Giant Grand
9. Lunaestis
10. Lyra's Lyric
11. Miki
12. Psy-T
13. Qip Etona
14. Résone
15. V()id Movement 4
16. Weird Resonances
17. Coulouraid

Let this be a fair contest - may the best entry win. Contribute with your vote.

Re: Composition contest - voting thread

hey. "waiting for completion". what does that mean? i asked you to make a mp3-file of my cubase-file and you agreed. if you do now please tell me, so i will make a mp3-file on my own but with missing notes. or is there anything else i got to do i just didn't notice?

hey miki, I think they mean they are still completing your .mp3 file. After all, they had to elaborate all 17 tracks with the complete version of Pianoteq software, for all tracks to sound really nice. And all that in less than a day! One must give them credit for that! So be a little patient on them

miki wrote:

hey. "waiting for completion". what does that mean?

Hi Miki, I sent you an email yesterday, it seems you never received it? There were issues with your cpr file. Please send the midi file and any fxp files involved to me at fogwall@pianoteq.com so that I can record your entry. You can also upload them to the files section.

Regards,
Niclas

hey. thanks to khiun and fogwall for helping. The problem was that fogwalls e-mail was recognized as spam. now i got it. hope everything will be fine now

For fogwall,

I hope you received my e-mail about the 'lunaestis' recording. Could you please see that? Thanks.

OK, all entries are complete now... Listen and enjoy.

2. Wings of Passion

15. V()id Movement 4

11. Miki !

My vote goes to number 11. Miki

Pros
- Beautiful
- Innovative use of Pianoteq
- coherent
- happy
- peaceful
- jazzy, newage

Cons
- Simple so it gets repetitive

Regards

PS Wings of passion is to me a close second, beautiful and relatively complex.

3. Bagatelle No 13

Just a note:

for those who may have heard/downloaded my piece 'Lunaestis' before yesterday evening, there was a tempo problem with that first recording. I told fogwall of this and he promptly made a second recording, this time with the right tempo, for which I thank him . You can now hear the correct version of my contest piece. Thank you.

Last edited by khiun (06-09-2007 17:58)

My favourite is #10 Lyra's Lyric.
I find this piece very nice sounding as well as being a good composition. I must admit none of these pieces are really in line with what I do as a musician, but I appreciate good music, whatever genre. Good luck everybody!

5. Destination

In music, I seek chords and tones and moods that move methe the most in terms of a musically translated atmosphere. Especially with piano, if it becomes too technical I tend to get off the hook very easily.

That doesn't mean I disregard people who has better play techniques or can play the piano with lots of accuracy and feeling, but in this contest i didn't think the most technically skilled person had the composition that moved me the most (which is in no means meant as a personal assult but its just like that for me)

But I have to choose something which comes closest to my idea about what the world of music represents to me and what satisfied my musical heart.

Wings of passion is second, just because of the respect I have for someone who can play like that. But I have to stay true to what kind of soundscape moves me the most. And so ultimately the winner for me is:

5. Destination

I always have the impression being in a movie, seeing a rainy city skape, a lonely person walking the streets going to his/her second date with a partner he/she really likes.

It provokes a feeling of expectation to me. you can probably use it in a kidnapping movie too where someone is trying to find a missing relative.

Last edited by CosmicD (14-09-2007 07:28)

i vote for 11.Miki cause his composition is the most interesting one for me

I vote n.1 - Aurora

2. Wings of Passion.

11. miki

miki!

5. Destination.

Its theme is so simple and yet so dense, always varying from tone to tone. Really beautiful!

3. Bagatelle no 13.  This melody is so joyful, it makes me happy!

4. Unreachable

It's a very evocative music to me. I like its opening very much, sounds quite mysteriously melancholic, like someone trying to reach for something but not succeeding, always close, but never quite there, and never giving up trying...

My favourite is/ my vote goes to:

5 - Destination

This piece sounds very nice, and is the one who's closest to my ideas and senses.
Beautiful song!!!

Destination gets my vote also. Cheers!

4 - Unreachable. Could really be choosen for a movie!

1. lunaestis (the actual vote loved everything about it.)
2. miki (i think the success this is having is partly because it utilizes some familiar theme i can't quite put my finger on. i realize that might be a mistake and not something intentional. it's a beautiful piece but i can't consciously vote for it while believing (perheps mistakenly, in which case i apologize) that it's standing on the shoulders of giants.)
3. resone (i find it beautiful, except for the big differences in velocity which i find distractive.)
4. espagonlades (i like this one cause of its vibe, and it's a bit closer to my musical home than the rest of the pieces, but i would have liked it a lot more had you taken the physical modelling capabilities of pianoteq more creatively.)
5. destination (starts nice, but a bit where the volume suddenly drops early on annoyed me. i like the general theme, but not where it leads to.)
6. drifting clouds (the opposite of destination for me: i dislike the general theme but love where it leads to.)

myself - anyone want to let me know what you liked/disliked in my submission?

your piece is miminal, probably wim mertens, moby and alpha twin would like it very much. From my point of view it's very hard create a minimal piece that maintens a fresh care in the listeners (as mertens: just 3-4 pieces are very famous). This is an open contest everybody like different styles. good luck.

I'm deciding my vote: it's very hard.

My vote is for 5-Destination. Very nice and simple. It´s perfect!

About mIKI, I like, but there is something familiar to me.

My second choice goes to Wings of Passion.  Good luck for you! One day I would like to play your piece if that is possible.

mmh.. maybe you're right about the familarity in my song.. my piano teacher told me it sounds like LA-style.. even though i never listened to any song sounding like that.. piano players inspiring me are: yann tiersen, yiruma, wolfgang j. fuchs and so on.. they play really different things.. my songs a product of emotions, even though it is may not played with every emotion i have i hadn't got much time to record and did it late at night, not really able to concentrate at all.

i don't try to convince anybody, even if it may sound like that just wanna show that, if it sounds familiar, i'm sorry for, but it's because i'm not used to that kind of music normally

bye

10. Lyra's Lyric

It seemed the most beautiful song to me - although a simpler composition than some but performed with emotion that won me over.

(Very close) runner-up's: Espagnolades (great "serious" latino composing, but the performance would need a tad more rhythmic accents), Bagatelle no 13 (for the high Keith Emerson factor), V()id Movement 4 (sad and creepy, reminded me of Rosemary's Baby), Miki (for the bombastic pseudo-orchestra)

Cheers Matt (Aziraphal)

I vote to --> 5. Destination

Great job keep going!

I vote 4. Unreachable
Pros:
- the second part is very good, especially the final
- recycling of the few material
I think in some ways, it looks like my piece, so I can understand better what kind of cares CosmicD used for composing.
Cons:
- the fist part is a bit anguish/boring.
One note, not a criticism: with a general listening, the sense of the continuation is a bit doubt: like it lacks an development (it's difficult to explain this in words and in english...) because the second part is timid, it needs a contrast, as a determined part, probably with some more 2 bars in Coda to confirm the resolution...

Let me some random comment about others.

10.Lyra's Lyric in a global view it's good, the structure, and it's also played very well.

Miki I'm sure you will win: I don't vote you because:
A. I prefer to vote a playable-piece for a man (it is just the same for Aziraphal 2. Wings of Passion)
B. I find some fx are forced especially for pianoteq (but contest rules want only Pianoteq instances, to give an opinion is not easy... );
C. long anthem ok, but much repeats and few developments.
I searched and listened Yiruma, VERY GOOD!, probably 'river flows in you' was a good inspiration of tecniques, grace-notes part, and also for the structure: but also Yiruma has much repeats an few developments: it's a feature of commercial music, not of classic or pseudo-classic music.
Anyways I don't found in your piece 'already listened material' as someone said. Late nights.. long work.. well done!

Anyone said something about resonè: I like it, it's nice, dissonances tastefully, a bit crazy, short (as usual for an impromptu)

Good Luck to all

vespa wrote:

A. I prefer to vote a playable-piece for a man (it is just the same for Aziraphal 2. Wings of Passion)

WoP IS playable, and actually pretty easy compared to some things I can hammer out, lol

Cheers

I vote n.1 - Aurora

In my opinion, this piece has a good building.  It is also very good the development of the theme to which the piece is based.

Congratulations to all for your compositions!!

My vote is for 01 Aurora.

It has a agreeable melody, but the my congratulations are for all piece.

Aurora

I like this composition, I think the central theme is very original and it creates a lunar atmosphere.
A smooth theme with a light accompanyment is what it wants for a piece like that.

Very good vespa!

3. Bagatelle No 13

really like this. a lot of joy, and a music witch is alive

really sorry, my vote comes late, I  sincerely apologies

damien

Hi everyone, I found this contest really cool....I'd like to vote N°1 Aurora. See ya

5. Destination

Only one word to describe it: sublime!

I like the simplicity, tiny things, pretty sonorities, mininalism.
I think "less is more".
I 've made John Cage words: "I don't like meaningful sound. If sound is meaningless, I'm all for it."

So my vote is for Miki's work (11. Miki)

...Luis

My vote goes for:

5. Destination

I really appreciate that smooth, simple and very modulating theme. Really great work!

Destination

I like those tone transitions, although a rather simple rhythmical theme throughout the piece, which gives it a special 'taste' to my ears. Nonetheless, I think all pieces have their characteristic beauty.

Best regards for all composers.

hi,

I vote for #13. Qip Etona

helli

Thanks everyone for the entries, votes and comments. It has been great fun.

We will now give the final votes and present the winner today (16th) in another thread.

Regards,
Niclas