Topic: An opinion from a session musician

Hi people. I found Pianoteq on the web while experimenting with modelled piano programs, and gave it a try. I have been a session musician for the past 40 years, performing with artists such as Crystal Gayle and the Statler Brothers. I  have recently  completed my own Christmas album to be released this year, and I am working on a classical album of Debussy's piano works. I have a Yamaha grand I use in my studio, plus various electronic keyboards.

My initial reaction to Pianoteq was that this program has a lot of potential. It is very well laid out, and easy to understand. The inclusion of so many adjustable parameters is great. It's light on resources, and since latency is very low, playing in real time is a breeze.

Now, as for the sound. It is fantastic, but not where it needs to be yet. The middle registers are very convincing, indeed, but the upper registers start to get more and more electric sounding, the higher up the board you play. I spent considerable time trying to tweak this "electric piano" sound out, but could not do it, Now, I am not surprised by this, because even many top notch sampled libraries have less than perfect higher octaves. This is a very difficult range to emulate electronically, even when sampled,  and is why I use a grand when those upper registers are crucial to the recording, and not covered in a mix. At the same time, I feel that if anybody can get close to emulating the higher registers eventually, it will be the team behind Pianoteq. What they have done so far, is nothing short of amazing.

The last comment I would like to leave, is about the added effects in Pianoteq, such as pedal noise, resonance, etc. While some of this can be useful and add realism,  it can also quickly degrade the music. Unless it is your intention, you do not want an effect drawing attention to itself, and away from your music. We work hard in the studio to keep these distracting effects out of the recordings. So my suggestion is to go easy with them. A good rule of thumb is that if you can hear these effects, then you overdid it. They should blend in with the music, not stand on their own.

Well, that's about it. Hope nobody minds me leaving an opinion or two on the program. I feel it has great potential. I do wish however, that it was a little less expensive for those out there, that could benefit from it, but cannot afford it. Maybe a smaller version, minus effects or with less variations, would be possible. Keep up the good work.

BigMike

Re: An opinion from a session musician

Hi BigMike - good to hear from you.

I think you're spot on in your comments. I believe we're all anxiously awaiting the next steps in the evolution of this little piano-gem. It obviously has a lot more potential than where it's at at this time (just listen to the improvements in the new Concert Grand - and that's just a patch!). Some people have suggested more "wood" in the sound. I couldn't agree more.

Now, before I make a complete fool of myself, let me say this; you're the piano man, I'm just a producer/engineer. Still, I'm also hearing some "electric" artifacts in the sound, but I feel it applies to certain keys more than the upper range as a whole. Maybe that's why you're the piano man?  

Anyway, I've yet to hear a digitally reproduced piano, sampled or otherwise, that didn't have at least a couple of less than convincingly sounding keys. It would be really nice if the good guys at Pianoteq were the first in history to iron out those issues completely.

I've worked with just about every piano sample library in existence, and even biggies like Ivory, never moved me quite the way Pianoteq does at those subtle levels. Anything goes (well almost anything) in rock'n'roll, but Chopin seem to demand way more expressiveness. That's where Pianoteq has it's real strenght in my opinion.

I fully agree with your comments about the effects section. I never record with the effects on, but treat Pianoteq as I would a miked-up real grand piano. That is; applying some high quality eq and reverb. No surprice this makes Pianoteq shine even more.

Well, I hope to see you around, and look forward to hearing your opinions about the future development of one of my favourite proggy's.

feathers

Thank you BigMike and feathers for your very interesting comments.

The last comment I would like to leave, is about the added effects in Pianoteq, such as pedal noise, resonance, etc. While some of this can be useful and add realism,  it can also quickly degrade the music. Unless it is your intention, you do not want an effect drawing attention to itself, and away from your music. We work hard in the studio to keep these distracting effects out of the recordings. So my suggestion is to go easy with them. A good rule of thumb is that if you can hear these effects, then you overdid it. They should blend in with the music, not stand on their own.

As former piano tuner I had the same reaction as you when we were asked to add noises. I was thinking "well, all these noises that I always tried to get rid of, now we should add them to the virtual piano!" ... But then I realized that it is also part of the sound and that many people expect to have it there. However you can turn all these noises off or change their amplitude in the options menu (bottom right of the interface).

<quote>Unless it is your intention, you do not want an effect drawing attention to itself, and away from your music</quote>

it's not my opinon at all. i am a musician and an artist, and for me, it is interestless to have to keep only the "essential" for something : a journey in nature, or a picture, or a piece of music.

What is for me a real good artwork, or a real good moment of life, is somewhat that is composed as much as the big "essential" things (the themes, for musics examples), as secondary things, and even imperceptibles things (ornementations, and so on)

All that very thin phenomenia is, for me, what makes the difference for example, between a Mac Do cheese burger and some real good meal.

in Pianoteq, if you don't like pedal effects, you can switch them out, and keep only "the music" as you said.
For that, Pianoteq will be better for you than a true piano.

it is only a question of personal tastes. And i understand : even MIDIfiles are good, as they permit to hear ONLY the music, the composed music, without any question of esthetic of sound. And there is still an emotion, wich comes directly FROM THE music.
So it's a mucial experience more, not less, to listen to midifiles.

But with some other sensible and atmosphere musics, the sound can be as important as notes, in the audition experience, so that Pianoteq permits all these differents artistic tastes to express.

Ondist and Thereminist concertist and composer
Ondes Martenot, Ondéa, Thérémin, player, composer
Messiaen's Turangalîla-Symphony in Cubase with 10 VSTi (including 4 instances of Pianoteq)