Topic: Pianoteq on Intel Atom 330

I've tried Pianoteq 3.05 on an Intel Atom processor (using win XP pro) with 2GB of RAM. I've tried using the onboard sound with ASIA4ALL drivers. The Atom 330 is a dual core processor with hyperthreading running at 1.6 GHz.
The result was very disappointing. Could not get glitch free performance. At 22 kHz it was starting to get OK, but with a 512 Asio buffer, the latency is not good. I tested with max poliphony of 64.
The strange thing is that I almost never hit over 90% processor load.
The problem is clearly with the ASIO4ALL driver. Going to a bigger buffer size solves the problem at similar processor loads. Maybe a USB soundmodule with specific ASIO will be better, but I doubt it.
Too bad. The PC I built only consumes 30 Wats and the Mainboard would be an excellent starting point for an embedded pianoteq solution.

Re: Pianoteq on Intel Atom 330

"Maybe a USB soundmodule with specific ASIO will be better, but I doubt it." Why? I guess it should be much better instead.

I am very interested in knowing more about your setup, especially if you managed to get it to work with an external sound module.

I considered the Atom 330 with Linux (you can make a setup at mini-itx.com for about €350) with an M-Audio Quattro attached, as I need a hardware stand-alone version.

My plan was to make the system bootable and auto-start Pianoteq, and having all configuration in place beforehand and then setup to be controlled by midi, then being able to run the system without screen or keyboard.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
VST host: Cantabile
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

1.6 GHz isn't nearly enough for the complex computations inside Pianoteq, I presume. And I think hyperthreading doesn't help much, as it's not a "real" multicore then.

Everything works here on a 2.0 GHz Core2Duo (E4400) cpu, though, even up to 256 poly.

It's really a low-end machine, you can't expect miracles from it

Hard work and guts!

I agree - if possible it would be worth trying a good audio interface that natively supports ASIO.  I say this because I tried ASIO4ALL on an older P4 machine with the onboard sound and it was terrible. This same machine works pretty well when using a good quality soundcard with it's native ASIO driver. If there is an improvement it still may not be good enough, but it would be interesting to try it.

Greg.
p.s Regarding my ASIO4ALL experiment, I did not spend a lot of time trying to get it to work, nor did I ask for assistance. It's *possible* that with the right tweaking I may have gotten it to work well.

Last edited by skip (14-09-2009 22:30)

The 330 is actually a dual core, the 230 is single, as I understand it. The hyperthreading is per core on the 330, showing 4 cpu's though only two physical cores are present.

Meanwhile I found out that there are no linux drivers available for my M-Audio Quattro, kind of spoiling the idea, as the flash memory I considered gets quite expensive if I am to buy the 8 GB I assume I will need for a Windows installation - plus the Windows license on top of that.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

I think that hyperthreading might cause some issues (as it does with some other, otherwise multicore compliant, VSTi), though I'm not sure. Perhaps turning it off could yield some performance improvements?

We need to hear from Modartt about that.

Hard work and guts!

I know for sure that hyperthreading helps pianoteq when running on a pentium 4 on windows xp.

There was another thread of someone using pianoteq on an atom 270 with some success here:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=671

Comparing the performance of the 32-bit version on windows xp and the 64-bit version on linux would certainly be interesting.

Note that the initial v3.0.5 released had a performance regression which has been fixed with version v3.0.5/20090805 , so be sure to test with that version !

Might be that I will go for a Windows solution, otherwise I have to find other means with respect to the sound module (unless someone have tried a M-Audio Quattro on Linux with success).

Will keep you posted, I really want to have a portable stand-alone solution.

Here's some benchmark results for the Atom 330:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=43085

I ran the same benchmark program on my 2.4GHz Pentium 4, and it is slower than the 330:
Intel Atom 330 1.6GHz Dual Core – ALU: 8032 MIPS iSSE3: 6724 MFLOPS (from above link)
My own 2.4GHz P4: ALU: 4870 MIPS iSSE3: 5260 MFLOPS

I'm not sure how well these benchmarks track actual Pianoteq performance though.  Also, my processor is a single core without hyperthreading, whereas the Atom results presumably exploit the dual cores & hyperthreading.

Note that I can run Pianoteq on the P4 with a polyphony of 32 with low latency - it works fine. (the default C3 Solo Recording preset)  32 sounds like a small number these days, but in Pianoteq, it's actually very usable.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (15-09-2009 09:29)

I took a second look at the 4Front OSS, and it might actually work with the Quattro. I will try to make a Linux partition on one of my current boxes and see what happens with respect to the Quattro.

Never got the Linux to work as I wanted, and found a reasonable offer on a 330 with XP Home SP3.

Seems I can make ptq3 work fine with 64 polyphony, but above that I can saturate the CPU.

I still need a new power supply for my M-Audio Quattro (only have a 500 mA, that is NOT enough).

When I get the power supply I will post my findings, and more details about the hardware (and software) I considered for the setup.

Got it to work. Setup is windows xp 32 bit on the Atom processor.

Settings on the external M-Audio Quattro is 96 KHz sampling rate, providing a latency at 0.7 ms. I have used 64 polyphony and 32 KHz internal sampling rate, which gives a performance index at 7. Higher internal sampling rate gives CPU saturation and cracks/pops/drop-outs, lower internal sampling rate makes the sound too mellow, I find.

PTQ is configured for autostart, and I have managed to make the midi mappings for the presets I need at home, using phones for playback. Still struggling with a few challenges to enable me to use it as a pure standalone (i.e. no screen or keyboard/mouse):
- switch banks through midi, to enable me to select whether it is binaural or studio/rehearsal
- displaying the selected midi program (unfortunately there is no display on the keyboard)
- nice way to shut off the PC instead of just pushing the button
However, these are not crucial, and I might end up with a mini display 7" and a small mouse just to be able to check settings during performances.

Regarding hardware, I found the http://www.mini-itx.com/ to be a very good source for inspiration and shop for all the stuff I wanted (until I found a second hand unit that was cheaper than buying the parts myself). I planned to purchase these items:
-    Case: M350 Universal Mini-ITX Enclosure
-    Board: Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core 1.6GHz Atom Mini-ITX Board
-    PSU: picoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX PSU combined with 80W AC Universal Adapter 12V 6.6A
-    RAM: 2GB PC5300 DDR2 667 DIMM
-    Harddrive: 1GB IDE Flash Memory Module - 40 pin IDE

The idea was to run Linux (e.g. DamnSmallLinux or Puppy Linux) on this setup, as this ought to be possible on the flash memory.

Let me know if you have any comments/suggestions for my remaining challenges, or any questions to the setup.

After running Pianteq successfully live on stage with a HP NC6000 laptop (1.6GHz Intel Centrino, 512MHz, WinXP, 2G Transcend compact flash disk, external USB/audio) I decided to try an Intel Atom N330. Also for fun but foremost to realize a more rugged version of my standalone pianoPC running pianoteq.  I bought an Intel D945GCLF2 with a 2Gbyte CF card and an external USB/audio module.
I have no problems running it glitchfree @ 41kHz with 24 polyphony and a latency under 2msec. I must say I spent a fair amount of time and effort to shrink winXP to its basics: disabling all unnecessary services and other processes that might interfere with the basic task.  Also to avoid excessive wear on the solid state CF card I needed to use some tricks like the Enhanced Write Filter from Xp embedded. This completely disables any OS writes to disk so that the system is always in excact the same condition after power up.  Lots of information can be found on the MP3Car.com forum.  They face the same problems (a reliable PC with dedicated audio tasks in a harsh environment)

After some tweaking I'm totally happy with the performance right now. Actually I'm running a full rack of additional VST instruments.  (PTQ, B4, Lounge Lizard, FM7, etc)
The only thing remaining is to construct the case and take it on stage!

What USB audio module are you using?
I would prefer to nave it with internal PCI module, but my experience so far with those is that they are more noisy.
You mention Polyphony of 24 notes (is actually not enough in my mind with pedaling and quick runs over the keyboard) @ 2 ms? Have you tried with higher latency and more polyphony?

nickfielibert wrote:

What USB audio module are you using?
I would prefer to nave it with internal PCI module, but my experience so far with those is that they are more noisy.

I use an M-Audio Quattro.

nickfielibert wrote:

You mention Polyphony of 24 notes (is actually not enough in my mind with pedaling and quick runs over the keyboard) @ 2 ms? Have you tried with higher latency and more polyphony?

Nope, but I'd be happy to. Will keep you posted (seems easier to test than Kees suggestions for XP optimising).

I'm using the E-mu 0202 USB/audio interface. The driver that came with it wasn't that good. Forte Ensemble (the VST host) had problems shutting down (taking minutes). Using ASIO4ALL everything was fine.
Polyphony and latency can be exchanged to a certain extend. From what I remember 32 voices is do-able although the CPU load (hyperthreading) is going quit high (like 80..90%). Playing jazz, soul and funk I don't care much about > 24 notes.

Finally got the setup together, now running PianoTeq 3.5 on the Atom 330. I am using a M-Audio Quattro external sound module, and the settings for the Quattro is set to Very Low Latency (0.8 ms) and a sample rate of 96000 Hz.

To avoid cracks I have set the internal sample rate in PianoTeq to 24000, otherwise quick runs and slides may cause cracks. Polyphony is at 64, I might be able to increase it (I just adjusted the internal sample rate down from 32000).

I have tried to see if I can tell any difference from setting the sample rate and polyphony at higher values, and through my headset (rather cheap AKG set) I am not sure. I'm usually quite observant and skilled in sound evaluation, but reading the other post about how much was percieved/imagined, and how much of the sound quality that was "real", I am so far happy with this setup.

As a conclusion I am not sure I can recommend the setup on the Atom dual core. My goal was to have a setup that I could bring around together with my midi motherboard, and found out I needed the PC, a sound module and a touch screen (occasionally the PC gets stuck in a message, I need to be able to se that and fix it :-( ). The cost and ending up with three units might be compared to e.g. a Clavia Nord Electro Rack, and playing mainly rock/blues in a rock band it might have been sufficient.

So in the end I guess I am waiting for an opportunity to get better hardware, and then have a dedicated well-equipped PC to use just for playing piano at home, and then find a solution for when we play a gig.

Still very happy with PianoTeq, though - just so much wanted the easy and portable stand-alone solution.

For those interested in a nice all-in-a box solution for Pianoteq, you may consider this:
http://us.shuttle.com/event/computex/me...ns_D10.htm

It is a barebone they sell in Belgium for about 390€. Add a processor, memory and a small HD and you're all set.
Obviously this is not atom based but for example Core2.
i'm planning to build one, where I will take out components from my currently used platform.

Reply to nickfielibert: If you have components and PianoTeq already, then it is an obvioius choice. I started from scratch, and had to weight cost and trouble against the final outcome.

Good luck, looking forward to hear about your experience.

Last edited by Torsten B. Hagemann (04-11-2009 16:00)

Hi,

We have just released Pianoteq version 3.5.3 , which contains a few improvements targeted at slowest cpus such as Atom. I believe this version will work much better that the previous 3.5 on your setup, using an internal sample rate of ~30000Hz (tested on a eeepc Atom N280 with windows 7 and ubuntu). But one must absolutely disable energy savings (switch off cpu frequency throttling) in order to avoid cracklings.

Sounds great - looking forward to try it as soon as I get home from work.

I don't how updating the GUI affects the performance of Pianoteq but maybe it's an idea to be able to start Pianoteq in a mini-mode: no GUI (sliders and feedbackgraphs), just a window to be able to close the program. For me, in live situations, there is no need for a GUI because everything is controlled external by midi-controllers.

julien wrote:

Hi,

We have just released Pianoteq version 3.5.3 , which contains a few improvements targeted at slowest cpus such as Atom. I believe this version will work much better that the previous 3.5 on your setup, using an internal sample rate of ~30000Hz (tested on a eeepc Atom N280 with windows 7 and ubuntu). But one must absolutely disable energy savings (switch off cpu frequency throttling) in order to avoid cracklings.

Julien,
Where are these settings under Windows 7?

Looking at the profiles I have it currently set on "High Performance".

Best,
Simeon

Simeon Amburgey
Sound Creations, Inc.
www.soundcreationsinc.com
***PS.89:15***

Here is what I did on Windows 7:

- select the "performance" power profile. This turns off the cpu freq throttling. You can check that it is really turned off in the pianoteq options / perf panel, which displays the current cpu frequency. On an Atom, it should be constant, and equal to the nominal freq (1.6GHz for current Atoms).

- in pianoteq, options/devices panel, select 44100 as the soundcard freq, and a 192 samples buffer size

- in pianoteq, options/perf: select 29400Hz as the internal sample rate, polyphony at 48.

With these settings, I can play the embedded Chopin waltz on a single core N280 Atom with a cpu load that stays mostly below 65%

On Linux, it is necessary to follow the instructions of the "README_LINUX.txt" file to grant yourself realtime priviledges, and turn off cpu throttling.

julien wrote:

Here is what I did on Windows 7:

With these settings, I can play the embedded Chopin waltz on a single core N280 Atom with a cpu load that stays mostly below 65%

Success!

I also turned off the CPU overload detection.

I have ASIO 4 All Set at 192 Samples with Allow FullMode (WaveRT) enabled.  Also set Force WDM to 16 bit.

The performance index on the Audio Load meter is reading about 9.

I think this is the closest to getting exactly what Netbook users have been looking for.

Great work.
Best
Simeon

Simeon Amburgey
Sound Creations, Inc.
www.soundcreationsinc.com
***PS.89:15***

julien wrote:

Hi,

Hello,
good news, and good too see, that you care for us Atom-users! Great!
I upgraded to 3.5.3 linux-32bit  today.

With the former 3.5.2 I played all piantoteq-instruments at 44100 Hz / 64 samples 1,5 ms / 48 polyphony / reverb off/ without any problems on my Atom N270. The only instrument, where I had very rarely a small glitch, was the C3. I will see if it now becomes rock-stable as the other instruments with the new 3.5.3. I'll let you know.

Else, I have this new option for more "headroom" now by using the new internal samplerate of 29400 Hz, excellent.

Thanks!
- groovy

Hello chaps,

May I ask if the Atom CPU optimisations also apply to the Mac version?

I use Mac OS X 10.5 on a Dell Mini 9, and recall being rather impressed with the performance of the Pianoteq trial in the past (v3.0?).

Will I notice any significant improvement with the latest release?

(Yes, I realise that Apple never released any Atom CPU powered systems).

Cheers,
James
x

Just to add a few more comments: I have played on the 3.6 for a few months now, and it did wonders. Also the new K1 is really great, as it is less demanding than the other grands, especially the C3.

So now I am faced with either changing the settings to have limited polyphony or avoiding the most craving instruments. But conclusion is that it did work with the Atom.

I recently set up Pianoteq 3.6.2 on my Eeepc 1000, which has the Atom 270N processor.  I am using Eeebuntu Linux, and I can run it with no problems at a 44100 hz internal sampling rate with a buffer size of 128 and 5.8ms latency.  Here are the most important things that made this possible:

1) Use fluxbox, or a similarly low-profile window manager.

2) Turn off wifi.  This actually made a huge difference.  Turn off the actual wifi interface, such that the led is unlit, not merely disconnecting from the internet.

3) Put the CPU on Maximum Performance mode.  This is obvious, but also necessary.

I never thought I would be able to get Pianoteq to run on this netbook, but it runs perfectly with no xruns.

Last edited by Coldsalmon (02-07-2010 15:54)