Topic: Utter Insanity: "Amp"ing Pianoteq!!!

While I was listening to Fear Falls Burning's (Dirk Serries, formerly "vidnaObmana") "The Sea of Endless Sustain," I wondered (being such a "mad scientist") how the new vibes would sound when run through something like NI's Guitar Rig 3.  At the same time, I received an e-mail for Overloud's TH-1 plug-in.  After doing a bit of searching and downloading, I am now the proud owner of both TH-1 _and_ Line 6's Pod Farm Platinum, and I am (at this very minute) currently drooling over the demo of Softube's Metal Amp Room.  Where, oh where does the madness END?!?!?

My goodness, these things sound _fan-freakin'-tastic_!!! 

I had played with a similar concept in the past:  running NI's B4 II and Linsoft's Organ 3 through Guitar Rig and Amplitube (the latter, and its several newer incarnations, being waaaay too CPU-inefficient, even when _idle_, fer cryin' out loud!!!).  I found this to be an interesting challenge, but ultimately, the results just weren't terribly _musical_. 

With Pianoteq, the results are _incredibly_ musical!  Both the pedal and the keyboard tunings play enormous roles in shaping the sound and its sustain.  And being able to manipulate the velocity so precisely really gives one an astounding amount of control.

I'm now an official "keytarist," I guess.  Long live the FUZZ!!!!!

Just had to share all of this.  :^)

"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

Re: Utter Insanity: "Amp"ing Pianoteq!!!

most things do rock more when cranked through an amp turned up to '11'

Heck, I don't even _need_ these "amps" turned up to 11.  They do pretty darn well at just 12 o'clock!!!

The Softube software is fantastic!  (I'm _especially_ fond of the "Metal Room" right now, but the others are all delicious, too.)  And I _really_ like their "Spring Reverb" and "Tube Delay" effects.  I ran the B4 II through all of them in various combinations and developed some startlingly-good sounds (in fact, the higher, brighter notes almost approached a guitar lead).

Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

mp3 examples?

Actually, I _could_ give a few examples, but amplification seems to be such a _subjective_ thing that I'd more strongly recommend anyone else to download the demo versions of these products (TH-1, Pod Farm Platinum, Softube's rooms and effects, Waves' GTR3), which are fully functional for at least 10 days or more, and let 'em rip!  This is exactly what led me to buy them (all) myself.  I find them all to be suitable to my needs, and I would have a hard time recommending any one over the other, because they all sound excellent (with plenty of differences between them to warrant maybe a little redundancy in the end).

I'm just using my slightly-tweaked versions of the Pianoteq instruments (especially the vibes, for which you may or may not have to adjust the mallet noise -- "noise" in general applies to the pianos as well, as the mechanical sounds may produce annoying artifact in the amplified signal) and running them through the plug-ins in Live 8.  The sheer scope of "tweakability" in these plug-ins just _begs_ for self-exploration. 

I'll post some examples soon!

you're talking about the overdrive you get from the amp sims right?  Or are you talking about the vintage sort of sound you get from how the sim shapes your sound (like eq).  I totally love amp sims too.  I pump ep through them all the time, also drums, sometimes even strings.

I'm talking about _both_, actually!  I've run Pianoteq through the virtual amplifiers and/or cabinets (sometimes bypassing one to hear either the amp or cab by itself -- and, then, I've used bypass to link one sim's amp to another sim's cab), and the range of tones and colours is _astounding_.  The overdrive (distorting gain) is what makes me _really_ drool, but I've also been thrilled with the more restrained sound shaping, too.  My latest discovery has been the impulse responses of cabinets -- using them in lieu of the various sims' own cabinet emulations (through either TH-1 or ReValver, which support IRs, or a separate IR plug-in) has been _most_ enlightening!

I'm still going nuts with these things (short trip!) and learning as I go (but, truthfully, I'm almost enjoying myself too much to learn or do anything constructive ;^P)...