Topic: Favorite EQ settings?

Any specific settings that are giving good results with specific presets?

Re: Favorite EQ settings?

eq is so subjective, and context sensitive. I would only start to eq to compensate for something that arises within a mix/combination of sounds. This instrument in particular, on its own, sounds pretty damn good already. my favourite eq setting for Pianoteq on its own is 'perfectly flat'.

I'm playing it through a decent hi-fi, but always end up taking the 500Hz down by at least 10db. Otherwise it sounds too muddy. I'm trying to make it sound just like it would if I were sitting down, playing a real piano (not a recording).

I would often cut low mids by a few dB, between 300 and 500 Hz, depending on situation and model. That takes some of the "mud" out. Not that that's a bad thing in PTQ; it's pretty much what you get when miking a real piano. In many a digital piano, this fulness is simply missing.

In addition, I find it quite helpful to boost 8kHz (more narrow-banded) to get a bit of "sparkle". This is good for pop style piano (a la Elton, Toto), but more subtly applied, it helps with definition and stand-out in any style.