Topic: cymbalom

here is an instrument that could easily be simulated with Pianoteq in my opinion! This would make a great addition!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbalom

any suggestions on tweaking parameters with version 3?

thx

bOb

Re: cymbalom

This suggestion has been made before, I think. But there is one problem with instruments like a cymbalom or a harp: With these instruments the strings can be excited anywhere since there are no hammers or plectra at fixed positions, and as mentioned in other threads, the position where the string is being excited is essential for the overtone content. You would have to introduce a controller which gives the position of the next hitting position (relative to string length).

I whish there were such a controller, though...

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Jope wrote:

Haken Continuum

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
Jope wrote:

Haken Continuum

Great idea: Now here's where the controller data could be coming from. But I just meant the other side - where they go inside Pianoteq...

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Any parameter controllable by MIDI CC?

Imagine, you have the pickup distance parameter for EPs. That could be renamed to "Pluck position" for cymbalom and modulated in realtime with MIDI CC, from the controller that's able to do that.

Well, the good thing about cymbalom is that it doesn't require an awful lot of polyphony (simultaneously played, what, four notes at most?) so it could be done, for example, right hand plays notes, and left hand decides the pluck position with a ribbon controller?

Last edited by EvilDragon (08-06-2009 14:01)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

(...) Well, the good thing about cymbalom is that it doesn't require an awful lot of polyphony (simultaneously played, what, four notes at most?) so it could be done, for example, right hand plays notes, and left hand decides the pluck position with a ribbon controller?

Yes, something like this. Even Mod Wheel would be ok (to me). Since I record my music with Logic, I would not mind to use a simple controller for recording and adjust it afterwards if needed.
I don't know exactly how Pianoteq works, but I read before that parameters like EQ and the overtone controls are "printed" into the string excitation, so I don't see why this should be too difficult for the excitation position.
Well, I know, it all seems easy to the users, and it would be a step away from pianos. But since there are add-ons that are by no stretch of the imagination pianos (like the bells) - why should't i speak for this "position" parameter?

It seems like a very good idea to me too.

The only instrument I do not wish to see modelled in Pianoteq is Hammonds. There are good enough emulations of that already (GSi VB3 being topnotch IMHO). But, church organs... hm?

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

It seems like a very good idea to me too.

The only instrument I do not wish to see modelled in Pianoteq is Hammonds. There are good enough emulations of that already (GSi VB3 being topnotch IMHO). But, church organs... hm?

Uh-oh... In my opinion this would require a completely different model since it's no longer the process excitation - response but a continious interaction of resonating tubes and exciting wind streams... Maybe someone will build a software like this, but it's definitely nothing Pianoteq can be tweaked to do. And think of the different sets of pipes... You would wish to combine them... And theres no "velocity" on organs, but keys can be pressed halfway and the stops can be pulled slowly... Considering these details it would simply be too complex, I think. On the other hand, if you don't use pipe organs this special way, samples should be fine.
No, I think although Pianoteq could be upgraded in some ways, it will stay within the range of this impulse - response scheme.

BTW there is a good Hammond emulation included in Logic called EVB3.

Yeah, I don't use Logic

VB3 is the best I've tried so far, in virtual world.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Yeah, I don't use Logic

VB3 is the best I've tried so far, in virtual world.

Boy you are so right about that.  I use it every Sunday.  Really great sounding Leslie.  VB3 in a one word description,  "Juicy"

As far as wind driven models, Wallander Instruments is on the top of my list.  Especially the brass.  I use that one live on stage every week as well.

WIVI is effin' awesome!

A bit expensive, though, but worth every damn penny!

Can't wait for him to do strings models too, then we can throw multi-gigabyte orchestral libraries down the drain!

To hell with lame crossfading and zillions of keyswitches, just play!

Last edited by EvilDragon (09-06-2009 19:32)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Can't wait for him to do strings models too, then we can throw multi-gigabyte orchestral libraries down the drain!

To hell with lame crossfading and zillions of keyswitches, just play! :D

Amen, brother!!! 

When he does string models, I'll be in seventh heaven. 8^D

"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

bobkowalski wrote:

here is an instrument that could easily be simulated with Pianoteq in my opinion! This would make a great addition!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbalom

any suggestions on tweaking parameters with version 3?

thx

bOb

Bob, you wish has been granted, see http://www.pianoteq.com

What a beautiful Xmas present! Thanks Modartt!

Hard work and guts!

Yes, thank you for another beautifully sounding gift!
(I just noticed a small typo (availabe) near the top on page  http://www.pianoteq.com/free_addons#cimbalom )

Wow. Thanks for this--has a great sound. Makes me want to explore a lot of scala files, too. Those Indian drone scales? Sweet.

Very cool!!!!
thanx guys!!!!

Strange, I copied the new Kivir package but the cimbalom do not appear...

There's a new iteration of the main PianoTeq engine that you must download and install to load the cymbalom: Version 3.52.

Thank you.

Now it's working fine.

Very interesting. I have never played a cimbalom or digital like before.

Thanks to Modartt for this nice christmas gift.

Jake Johnson wrote:

There's a new iteration of the main PianoTeq engine that you must download and install to load the cymbalom: Version 3.52.

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-12-2009 19:20)

Well, I was thinking...

Could sales increase if Modartt offer chance to aquire some instruments separated?

Sopose somone already spent a lot in digital pianos and samplers, and wants to buy just a Rhody or Vibraphone V-B digital instruments.
He problably would buy pianoteq Electric Pianos and Vibes if could buy just this models, without need to buy the pianoteq pack with the Grand pianos.

Pianoteq with option to buy separeted modules.

What about this idea ???

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-12-2009 19:33)

I don't think that would be profitable. Because those addons all use the same internal computational engine. You buy one engine - you run all the addons. That's how it goes.

Hard work and guts!

The more I play this, the more I like it. Great sound.

Wow !  what a great surprice :-)
Looking forward to try it, i just love the sound of the cymbalon.

While talking about instruments ideal for Pianoteq, i just know we will see a Clavinet some day :-)

Looking forward to a modelled harp, xylophone, and of course, let's not forget, the wonderful celeste!

Ben

Thank you Modartt for yet again giving us a lovely free add-on.

It sounds great!

I confess I had to look up on wikipedia to see what a cymbalom was!   And I guess it is cheating a bit to play it with a keyboard. But I don't mind, I'm sure I'll get some lovely sounds out it.

Wow, really nice addon. I've listened to the demo, and it sounded rather good. Of course obviously it misses a few nuances but I'm sure those'll be improved.
Greetings from Hungary

Last edited by davidka91 (16-12-2009 14:42)

Thank you ;-)
At first, I had some trouble finding the right way to play: you have to play no more than 2 notes at once, and the pedal behaviour is quite different than the one on a piano, but it's a really interesting challenge. Since I didn't had time to find a proper score for cymbalum, I just improvised on this ukrainian tune; I'm glad you like it :-)

Hey, let's give at least some time to Modart breath.

;-)

Maybe a harp would be easier, and fast to develop, as it's basically just strings, without soundbord, dampers etc.

What about this vulcan instrument:

PunBB bbcode test

Háaa háaaa....   I don't know if the Spock's sort of harp realy work or if it's just a Sci-Fi prop.  Anyway it have a small soundboard.

The silly instrument on the right side of the picture surely do not work.

benjamind wrote:

Looking forward to a modelled harp, xylophone, and of course, let's not forget, the wonderful celeste!

Ben

Last edited by Beto-Music (16-12-2009 17:25)

Love that bicycle wheel instrument I bet it sounds awful, but fortunately it doesn't seem to have a soundboard so you probably can't hear it.

Whatch this . More weird prop instruments in the begining and in 02:57 (wheel harp)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hszX-8-g...re=related

It's so silly that is funny.

mooks wrote:

Love that bicycle wheel instrument I bet it sounds awful, but fortunately it doesn't seem to have a soundboard so you probably can't hear it.

Beto-Music wrote:

It's so silly that is funny.

I'm reminded of two quotes (not exact) from James Lileks' book, "Interior Desecrations":

The "Star Trek" crew chose props which looked so strange that they _had_ to be from the future.

Try to mind-meld with those, and your brains will shoot our your ears.

:-)

Last edited by dhalfen (16-12-2009 22:05)
"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

Now i have tried the cymbalon and this is really sounding great :-)

And a funny thing i have noticed.
The very first attack (milli seconds) has some of the sound i have missed on all the piano models !
This sound of wood/felt on a steel string.
I actually tried to layer the C3 with a very little amount of the cymbalon attack and it really does something..... me think

Pianoteq team – you rule!!

Thank you so much for yet another great free add-on and a wonderful Xmas gift.  The cymbalom sounds wonderful.  Thank you thank you thank you!

olepro wrote:

Now i have tried the cymbalon and this is really sounding great :-)

And a funny thing i have noticed.
The very first attack (milli seconds) has some of the sound i have missed on all the piano models !
This sound of wood/felt on a steel string.
I actually tried to layer the C3 with a very little amount of the cymbalon attack and it really does something..... me think

I have to say that I like the sound of the attack, too. Not sure why, but it's not the same sound that we now get by softening the hammer and reducing the hammer noise on a piano.

I think if I rendered a piano midi using the cymbalon, most people would think it was a funky piano.

However to really be convincing, it needs more range in the bass (for me at least).

Glenn

EvilDragon wrote:

I think I recall some folks making comments like this about Pianoteq and electric pianos,  before Pianoteq had released their electric pianos.  Does anyone now think that it was a complete waste of time for Modarrt to have produced the electric pianos? I certainly don't - not by a long shot.

I'm not saying that you're definitely wrong, but I don't think you're definitely right either. ;^)

Greg.

No, of course not. I just think that Hammond is already pretty darn well covered with other simulations, with VB3 being close to unsurpassable.

On the other hand, we could use a good/great modelled church organ!

And also clavinet, pianet, RMI electrapiano, etc.

Last edited by EvilDragon (18-12-2009 18:58)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

On the other hand, we could use a good/great modelled church organ!

Something like this?

http://www.hauptwerk.com/

Probably an ENTIRELY different engine & model than Pianoteq's.

I thought Hauptwerk is all samples?

50 GB for church organ... eh

Last edited by EvilDragon (18-12-2009 19:20)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I thought Hauptwerk is all samples?

50 GB for church organ... eh

Actually... you're mostly right.  I'd misread their FAQ; they do have "at least one large sample per pipe" and they combine it with some kind of nifty model:

Hauptwerk combines long samples with complex organ modeling to achieve the most realistic sounding virtual organs in the world.

I guess with a 50+GB library, it had better sound convincing indeed.

Oh and it requires a USB port for the dongle.  BAH!

Still, my uneducated guess would be that a wind/pipe instrument would require a very different model than strings and soundboards. 

On the other hand, the wizards at Modartt never do cease to surprise us

Well, the models have the same basic parts. Strings/pipes - excited part. Hammers/air - exciter. Soundboard/pipe - amplifying part. Etc.

Hard work and guts!

I think that Modartt needs to perfect and widen the existing Piano/EP/Cimbalom/Mallet palette. There is still a heavy competition for piano and ep sounds.
In my opinion, trying to rush forward organ emulations, therefore leaving the existing technologies somewhat 'half-done' wouldn't be a great idea.
(Speaking of VB3 and B4)
I'm still looking forward to an Upright tech, and more models for the existing instrument types. Or maybe harps, and glockenspiel stuff?

Cheers, David

Uhhnn...   What is the problem with Modart vibes?????

I can't hear anything problematic about vibes

Actually, I can see vibes getting expanded upon, with xylophone, marimba, and other chromatic percussion (water-filled bottles, anyone?)

Last edited by EvilDragon (18-12-2009 19:58)
Hard work and guts!

What about?

PunBB bbcode test

Ok, I explain...    I's that I watched the movie  The Love Bug (original from 60's), and the music played during good moments of races sounded like a instrument of several whistles for each note.

Does anybody knows what isntruments have musical notes like a whistle?

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-12-2009 20:07)

Eh... Piccolo comes fairly close? Irish tin whistle?

Hard work and guts!

I found a clip.  See from 00:22 beyond when the "whistle like" sound start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JirRgoja...mp;index=4

I never heard a flute vibrate so much, like a whistle. 

But listening carefully other moments, when this kind of sounds is less intense, now I think it's some kind of flute, as you said.

EvilDragon wrote:

Eh... Piccolo comes fairly close? Irish tin whistle?

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-12-2009 21:52)

doobya wrote:

Probably an ENTIRELY different engine & model than Pianoteq's.

Pianoteq is based on creating percussive tones.  Hence, vibes, cymbalon, piano, etc. fit it well.

An organ is not terribly percussive (although a B3 can seem percussive) and uses a vibrating air column.

Hold an organ key down, and the sound just keeps on coming.  No decay at all, and little, if any, attack - quite unlike the percussive instruments in which a string, bar, sheet of metal, or skin is struck and produces all sorts of transients.

I suspect that Pianoteq could be utilized to model a drum or cymbals more easily than an organ.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Glenn

Well, I think that it's possible to accomodate several different modelling techniques in one model. It's all in the programming, really.

Hard work and guts!