Topic: Pianoteq Enhances Musical Ears (give your comment)

Hi everyone

I would like to discuss how Pianoteq enhanced my musical ears for natural piano behaviour in resonance and sympathetic effects

When I first acquired  my Roland digital piano, it sounded great. I tried software like Akoustik, some VST samples,and it sounded still fine too. I wasn't able to easily distinguish a very good sampled piano from real piano sound by comparing mp3 demos.
       After becoming acquainted with pianoteq I developed a finer ability, and now sampled pianos had mostly the few dead sound limitaion of sampled technology.

Only by playing a real piano or Pianoteq we are able to develop a fine taste for natural piano behaviour. Our brain get used with the live interaction of the piano harmonic and resonance. We realise that a true piano behaviour it's even more difficult to play, since the living aspects tends to accentuate any mistake in playing, due resonance and pedals  accurate reproduction in minimal details, 127 velocities, etc; while most sampled pianos tend to make the playing sound easier. The problem is that when someone, used with a sampled piano, must play a original, maybe have difficult with the real thing.
      I would like to invite you all to give comment about similar experience with Pianoteq and the improvement in auditive taste for natural piano behaviour.

Re: Pianoteq Enhances Musical Ears (give your comment)

Hello, this is my first post here, and I absolutely agree. Playing on high-grade instruments like Pianoteq makes our ears more sensitive for details in piano sound. In this respect, PT even surpasses any single acoustic piano because of its tweakability. Change the impedance and hear how that'll sound. Try that on a real one. There, you need two different pianos (and preferably, a piano technician's education) to learn about the difference.

Kind of downside to this is that many real-world acoustic pianos sound from "slightly unbalanced" over "OK for Ragtime, but could use some tweaking" to "anti-musical trash" if you are used to have optimum response and control over instrument design and voicing. Prior to PT, I often could not exactly determine what was wrong with a particular piano. Now I can. And sometimes the solution is to rather "go digital" instead of using the "bitch-to-play" provided at the venue. Well, of course not "go Clavinova"...

Many "real piano" enthusiasts cannot understand that. They claim that the instrument itself tells a story (you know, the "grand old lady"). OK, but what if that story does not fit my intentions? If it is one of long-overdue reconditioning, loose pins, noisy (and awkward) action, metal-grade hammers, sub-optimal soundboard performance etc.? Hardware flaws CAN add "charme" to certain music (Tom Waits!) but more often they get in the way. At least, that's my perspective.

I am not talking of the spick-and-span Steinway D many of us get to touch once a year (if we're lucky) but of those heavygoing "budget" mini grands and muffled uprights we are frequently offered.

Fact is: Since I play with PT, I listen ever more for details, particularly the state of the hammers, and now I know much more exactly why I have often been so unhappy in the past. Thanks, Modartt!

Last edited by dkpianist.de (03-08-2007 09:34)

Not only Pianoteq, but all the work with synthetised sounds , VSTi and so on, enhances musical ears, and the way we are listening to real musicians.

Ondist and Thereminist concertist and composer
Ondes Martenot, Ondéa, Thérémin, player, composer
Messiaen's Turangalîla-Symphony in Cubase with 10 VSTi (including 4 instances of Pianoteq)

There are more defective new (real) pianos than perfect ones. Even Steinway's vary massively, expecially American ones, in fact I would say that less 1 in 10 are truly superb, they require days of voicing and regulation when new and then repeating every few years with a complete rebuild at 20 years. 

What you have with pianoteq, given your own chosen ajustment and thge right keyboard is as close to a perfect instrument as it gets, you can't blame it for anything, it only does what you ask it with your fingers.

I can honestly say that in my 45 years of playing piano I can really only remember a small handful pf pianos (and not all Steinways) that I truly fell in love with. My last Steinway was an ex-hire fleet 1993 D, on a good day after tuning it was marvelous, but it was also massivelyt affected by changes in humidity and temperature, and required bi-monthly tuning and regulation. I only discovered Pianoteq yesterday, and I am sold. I don;t need to worry about the instrument anymore, just start practising and concentrate on what my fingers are doing to my ears.

Someone needs to develop a better keybed (keyboard) and then the acoustic world need to rethink. OH and by the way, my Steinway 11 years old cost £55,000, my CME UF8, computer and powered speakers, less than £2,500.

markh wrote:

Someone needs to develop a better keybed (keyboard) and then the acoustic world need to rethink. OH and by the way, my Steinway 11 years old cost £55,000, my CME UF8, computer and powered speakers, less than £2,500.

Well maybe the "better keybed" exists. Ever heard of Yamaha GT1/GT2? Real grand piano action, just no strings (and soundboard). I haven't played one so far. It is expensive and heavy, but compared to a real grand, I think it is still in the affordable/manageable range.