Topic: Laptop good enough for Pianoteq?

Hi,

I´m observing the development of Pianoteq since one and a half year, but until now I didn´t buy the software. My problem is, that I always have a clicking noise when playing with pianoteq. Now I´m not sure if my laptop is good enough for Pianoteq. I think it should be, but if yes: How can I solve these problems?

My configuration:

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 Intel Core2Duo@2.00GHz, 3GB RAM, Windows XP 32-bit.
As Audio interface I use the Presonus Firepod together with an PCMCIA firewire card. If I get pianoteq running smoothly I want to change to an audio interface with smaller size like the Echo Audiofire2 or something else.

I already tried to work with ASIO4ALL drivers and with the Firepod ASIO drivers. Both make clicking noise when playing with pianoteq, sometimes even when playing the demo file.

Can you give me a hint what I should do to get the best pianoteq sound quality that I can buy it?

Re: Laptop good enough for Pianoteq?

Hi dnv!

My audio interface is the same as yours, Presonus Firepod, and everything is running smoothly, using the Firepod ASIO drivers. So if you're experiencing clicking noises, try raising the latency if you have it set very low. I'm using a latency of 10 ms, which is high enough to give the computer some elbow room, but still low enough to not affect my playing.

I tried this but it doesn´t help completely. I can only choose between a latency of 8 or 12ms (at a sample frequency of 44.1). In both cases I get clicking noises sometime. It´s not very often, but that´s still not acceptable. Is there anything else I could do to solve this?

Try using 48 kHz samplerate. It is probably the soundcard's native frequency and it will work better.

Hard work and guts!

Did you try to disable the wi-fi adapter? Sometimes it  messes with digital audio. There's a free test you can download called DPC Latency test. It shows the potencial problems in your pc so you can fix it.

I tried setting the samplerate to 48 kHz. Then I disable the wifi adapter (with a hardware switch). I also downloaded the DPC Latency Test which says "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs."

But there are still problems with clicks or something else I cannot describe well with language. Would it help if I record such a problematic sound and upload it anywhere?

I had trouble with noise until I contacted Pianoteq help, and the advice was:

"The C3 Recording preset uses more channels than e.g. C3 Binaural. That is why its CPU consumption is higher.

You should change the buffer size from 120 (which is extremely low) to a multiple of 64, I suggest to 320.

Regards,
Niclas Fogwall
Sales & support
Pianoteq"

The advice worked.  Also, the advice to keep the sample rates the same should be followed.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (29-05-2009 17:19)

As the Firepod ASIO driver has only some choices for the buffer size (no multiples of 64) I moved back to the ASIO4ALL driver to chose a buffer size of 320 samples. By now I couldn´t hear any more clicking noise, but there where some lags what I don´t like :-/

I also switched to C3 Binaural. But this should not be the solution!? I think my machine should be able to work good with pianoteq.

I was also thinking about creating a clean system only for pianoteq use. This could probably be a bootable CD without a real installation on a hard drive.

the problem might be in your Firewire card. With a Firestudio soundcard (similar to your Firepod), Presonus recommends FW chips from TI, Agere and some VIA (not all), not NEC for example: I have all kinds of problems with a NEC chip on my system :-(

I have a Delock Firewire Card, probably a very cheap one. Can you recommend a good one to me?

Maybe this one? http://www.amazon.de/Express-Card-Schni...rhf_shvl_4
It has the chipset Texas Instruments TI XIO2200.

Would it be better to buy a Firewire800-Card than one that only support FW400?

firstly, have you optimised your computer for performance in 'control panel - system - advanced system settings - performance settings - adjust for best performance'

If not, do that first.

Then, if you still have clicking noises, I suggest that you adjust the internal sample rate in the performance section of the options in pianoteq.

Adjusting the above settings has enabled me to run pianoteq flawlessly while running the internet with windows messenger and playing pianoteq live over messenger!

I have the same prossessor as you and it should work for you also.

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I could play without any interferences, but the latency was still too high for good playing (around 10ms). What latency do you have? And which operating system are you using?

10 ms is fine enough latency.

Of course, 6 or 4 would be better, but consider that you can play decently with even 20 ms or so.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

10 ms is fine enough latency.

Of course, 6 or 4 would be better, but consider that you can play decently with even 20 ms or so.

I was having trouble achieving a latency of 4 ms, and asked for help on another forum.  One wise gentleman by the name of Mac replied as follows:

"Suppose you were playing in an acoustic swing band that was typically spread across the stage over a distance of 40 feet (12.2 metres).  Since sound travels at 1,116 fps (340m/s), the instruments on opposite sides of the orchestra would be (40/1,116 = 0.036 seconds) apart from each other.  This would result in a latency of 36 milliseconds between these players.  They seem to be be able to hear each other and keep in time.  10 milliseconds shouldn't be a problem."

He's right of course.  You may be able to detect it, but I've tried it, and I very quickly became accustomed to it at the keyboard.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I think it´s a difference if you hear your own instrument or the instrument played by others, because you know the moves of your hand but the sound comes later. I showed pianoteq to a "real pianist", someone who mostly plays on a grand piano. He was amazed by the sound, especially compared with other digital pianos. But he noticed right at the beginning that there was a delay. After he player some minutes on it he stopped thinking about that and could play as he was used to :-)

You have the same "problem" with some church organs where there is a heavy latency. But I think on organs this is well known and you have to accept it, but on a real piano you don´t have these latencies (yes, you have, but very little) and as pianoteq wants to be a replacement for real pianos this is a problem.

So this latency-thing is making you feel not to sit on a real piano, but the sound tries exactly this. I would also like to introduce pianoteq in a band where I play double bass. But the pianist there has to be convinced that it is better than the digital piano sound he uses now. And a feeled delay is something not so nice here.

One solution to this could be Zero Latency Monitoring: The pianist gets the sound of the digital piano into his headphones and the audience gets the pianoteq sound. But this is not optimal.

At the end: What latency values does you pianoteq installation have?

Last edited by dnv (01-06-2009 09:00)

It depends on which ASIO drivers you're using. I'm using ASIO4ALL and I can have all latency values in increments of 64 samples.

Hard work and guts!

So you get a latency of less than 2ms?

I didn´t mean which values you can choose but which are working properly.

Last edited by dnv (01-06-2009 10:12)

Not on my computer, because of the soundcard. I can get 8 ms at most. Everything else is crackles.

I really need a better soundcard, I'm using internal Realtek HD audio. Kind of crappy XD

Hard work and guts!

My system consists of:

Asus A8V-SE mobo
AMD 64 x 2 dual core running at 2200MHz
2 GB ram
EMU 1820M soundcard

(note that this system is about six years old and is no longer top of the line).

I'm using a buffer size of 320 samples with a latency of 7.3 ms (which doesn't seem too troublesome to me).  This setting is for playing other people's midi files where the polyphony often hits into the 80's or higher and with four microphones.  But I still get some crackles.

If I use two mics, or a binaural setting, I get no crackles at all.

More microphones = more horsepower required = more latency required.

For my own amateur playing, I can use four or five mics with no crackles, or I could set the latency less.  But I usually play with headphones, so I use a binaural setting (which I find gives a very close and immediate sound - which I like).

A comment I've made on other threads is that it's recommended by Niclas Fogwall of Pianoteq to use a multiple of 64 for the buffer size.  Niclas's advice certainly helped me.

Glenn

dnv, this may sound silly, but have you tried switching on the delay compensation in pianoteq?

with delay compensation switched on you get a much more immediate sound (obviously!).

my piano teacher also noticed the delay, as did your friend!

One thing I would recommend is try using older versions of ASIO4ALL. I always found versions 2.6 and 2.7 to be the most stable. Some computers I setup would be very unresponsive and crackly on later versions depending on the combination of the soundcard, motherboard etc.

Direct links to the older versions are:

2.6: http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asi...Av2Ins.exe

and

2.7: http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asi...nglish.exe

As found on http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asi...story.html

Now I´ve done it: I bought Pianoteq 3 and until now I´m really happy with it.

I put a second hard drive into my laptop and installed a clean Windows XP on it. Now pianoteq runs with the firepod drivers (no ASIO4ALL) without any tuning and has a latency of 4ms. I didn´t try shorter latency, but will do later.

Tomorrow will be my first live usage of it :-)

Thank you all for helping me.

Now I tried again to run PTQ on my Thinkpad Tablet PC X41t (Pentium M 778 at 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM) under Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and it runs smooth with my Firepod and a latency of 4ms (176 samples).

I´m happy that I can use the tablet for it :-)

A very compact digital piano system would be:

A laptop with pianoteq:

PunBB bbcode test

And:

PunBB bbcode test

Háaa háaaa

;-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (19-06-2009 01:31)