Topic: Vibes add-on

Congratulations with the new add-on, guys! I was hoping something like this would be introduced, but didn't expect it to arrive this soon I haven't even begun delving into the depths of PT3, and now this - thanks, you made my day!

Re: Vibes add-on

Interesting...   Moddart did again a new fine virtual modeled instrument.

In a vibraphone... had you ever saw someone play with two or three mallets been each one with a different hardness?

That would be a challenge to any controller interface....

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-05-2009 20:03)

"Thanks to the physical model the range of the vibraphones is extended from 3 to 5 octaves. "

Uhhhnn... There should be a adjust to turn back to original 3 octaves if wished. 

I know that each tube in a vibraphone have a small fan.  What would happen if we increase or decrease the fan power, making it blow more or less air???

Last edited by Beto-Music (16-05-2009 15:15)

Beto-Music wrote:

Uhhhnn... There should be a adjust to turn back toi original 3 octaves if wished.

Surely this option is controllable by the users' fingers??
If you do not want notes outside a 3 octave range, then do not play them!

You can also tell to the laws of physic stay quiet, and do not produce sympathetic resonance in the unplayed octaves bars.

Virtual laws of physic in this case, cause it's digital.    ;-)

feline1 wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Uhhhnn... There should be a adjust to turn back toi original 3 octaves if wished.

Last edited by Beto-Music (16-05-2009 15:20)

Beto-Music wrote:

(...) I know that each tube in a vibraphone have a small fan.  What would happen if we increase or decrease the fan power, making it blow more or less air???

Not really a fan but a rotating disc that periodically will close or open the tube to damp or increase the resonance.
Well, this Vibraphone sounds good, but this time I find it not more convincing than certain patches on NI's FM8 I used for the last few months. It's great anyway especially if you just own Pianoteq and need an inexpensive way to Vibraphone...

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Jope wrote:

Well, this Vibraphone sounds good, but this time I find it not more convincing than certain patches on NI's FM8 I used for the last few months. It's great anyway especially if you just own Pianoteq and need an inexpensive way to Vibraphone...

Actually, I find these vibraphones to be _very_ convincing, especially the V-M (obviously modeled after a Musser, which I played regularly at a friend's house many years ago -- of course, I played it like a pianist, not a percussionist!)

I just "jammed" with a bunch of videos on YouTube, and the similarity (despite differences in ambience) between the recorded vibe sounds (although not in stunning high-definition, but certainly acceptable, quality) and their Pianoteq counterparts was _amazing_ -- they meshed together _very_ well!

I'm going to go dig out my Lionel Hampton and Milt Jackson recordings and see how well I can "play with" them.  ;^)

Last edited by dhalfen (16-05-2009 21:39)
"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

dhalfen wrote:
Jope wrote:

Actually, I find these vibraphones to be _very_ convincing, especially the V-M (obviously modeled after a Musser, which I played regularly at a friend's house many years ago -- of course, I played it like a pianist, not a percussionist!)

Yes. I didn't want to say anything against them - the point is, it seems to be easier to synthesize a good vibraphone without physical modeling than to get realistic piano sounds.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Beto-Music wrote:

You can also tell to the laws of physic stay quiet, and do not produce sympathetic resonance in the unplayed octaves bars.

Virtual laws of physic in this case, cause it's digital.    ;-)

feline1 wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Ah, OK, my bad
Sorry.

Well, I can't pretend that, as a rock/electro-musician, I have a deep longing to play vibraphone in all my tracks!   ...... this is not an instrument I'd find as musically useful as modelled upright piano, for instance (hint hint!) or other classic rock keyboards such as the Hohner Pianet (reeds plucked with sticky hammers!... think early Roxy Music, or The Stranglers) or the Hohner Clavinet (Stevie Wonder!)
But from a quick play on the demo version, nonetheless the vibraphone Modartt has created seems splendid, I will probably happily  spend €49 on it and find a good use for it.

(I went to see Stereolab play last year, and they have had tons of vibes on the recent albums, and live they were using sampled vibes played with a "Mallet-kat" MIDI controller.
http://www.alternatemode.com/malletkat.shtml
I guess Modartt should team up with these guys!

Interesting video of a Marimba performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAasauxM...=rec-HM-rn

Who can adapt a midi to the vibes add on for this music?

Last edited by Beto-Music (18-05-2009 22:30)