Topic: I wish a sound Like... And You???

Hi Everyone

I'm starting an interesting list about the sounds each one of us wish for a piano.
      It's an easy approach. Instead trying to describe the piano sound by words, we will just post a link to a video or an mp3 of a  piano sound we like. Only the sound of a real piano, not the sound of any software sample.

To start I would like to add a link to an incredible performance of  Rhapsody in Blue, played on a Steinway concert Grand. A video with good image and sound quality. 

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeS9eT88hFY   
   Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRY_PEWhnzo

This is the kind of sound I would like to have on Pianoteq. It's  just like a perfect piano sound. Warm, strong FFF strikes, balanced along keyrange and natural.

And you????
      Please share your opinion and make your contribution. It's also valid for harpsichords.
      I think it's important to get an idea of the preference of each one.

Re: I wish a sound Like... And You???

Hey - a funny Idea )  The most peoples would like to have the sound of a "real - pure Piano" - that´s clear.

But just your first videos showing......a compressed video with no high-tech recordings...can never give the realistic sound of a big Piano.   For example....the links to this videos:   The Piano sound like played in a bathroom.....

With a lot of sampled Pianos - and also with the pianotech  - you could create a better and more realistic sound as this video is giving.

So  - for my ears - its very difficult to take youtube-videos as reference. With good mp3 files or very very good videos of a realistic Piano - ok, so we/you can show, which sound we would like. But the most peoples - specially users of a software-piano are understandable more interested on examples of existing software-pianos.

Do you like my piano-sound??  Look on my post´s  - there you can download some files....but,  my playing is very bad  - don´t be shocked..)))))

I just started to play piano 2 years ago - with no teacher - and this is hard to learn, i´m 43 years old.   But i love a warm, woody sound of a piano.....with the new possibilties of computers  i can play and adjust a piano-sound i like.   My favourite Sound at the moment you can here in this samples - especially in "Playing_of_a_Beginner1.mp3"

Friendly regards
Robert

I think the sound I'd like from a piano would be anything BUT pure.

I really like the sound of some of the 1950s Baldwin Hamilton studio uprights that I've played.  (Of course, taking into account Pianoteq's capability, I'd want the bass to sound more like a big grand piano.)

Here's some links to fairly high quality mp3s of me playing some old hymns on a 1951 Hamilton....
01-AGloriousChurch
02-ANewNameInGlory
03-WashedInTheBloodMedley
07-SunlightMedley
08-HeIsAbleToDeliverThee
09-UncloudedDayMedley
10-TwasAGladDay
11-WonderfulGraceOfJesus

The above songs were recorded mid may '07, and the lowest ones were recorded a few weeks ago, using slightly different settings.

01-TheRoadLeadsHome&TheWayOfTheCrossLeadsHome
02-BelieveOnTheLordJesus&ChristVerilyVerily
20-AbideWithMe

Can I believe what I am reading??

Are there really people who want their pianos to sound like MP3 files? Can they really be asking for Pianoteq to be "enhanced" with MP3-codec distortion artefacts?

It is perhaps bad enough that the average Pianoteq user will have not the faintest idea of what it means to produce a good mathematical model of a piano. Or to convert a bunch of equations into a computer program that computes input to output in real time. Or the time and effort to arrive at a set of data which did not result in "garbage in, garbage out"? Each of these are significant and meritorious achievements on their own - that all three should come together at the same time is not far short of miraculous (to put it in the understated way the English are famous for). And for what? To sound like someone on YouTube?

So, someone please tell me it's April 1st, and the world's time servers have gone haywire. Or more edifyingly, an apposite quotation from Voltaire might soothe my indignation - since I can only think of the small number of colourful expressions that the French have gifted to the English language, and it would not do for me to rehearse them here.

Hi Hipereal

Take easy.  You took my worlds too literally.

Of course we don't wish a mp3 sound. But mp3 is the best we got on web for fast sharring of music.  The youtube video and the mp3 links from pianoplayer88key was just to get an idea about piano brands we like, and qualities that perhaps could be included in future pianoteq presets.  Sure Pianoteq have highly superior sonic quality, in frequency and in bits.

You are absolutely right about Pianoteq be a extraordinary achievement. But one fantastic quality from this technology is to mathematically imitates real piano models, as they did to the pianofortes add ons, beautiful work.

I'm sure Moddart will keep improving Pianoteq sound and became the leader among digital piano software.

I believe that even a bad recording, a beutiful piano can still shine a bit. Surely will not be the same thing, but we can still recognize some nice elements of the piano sound signature.
    If we get a poor mp3 of Pianoteq it will still have the imposing bass, the nice resonance and sympathetic effectss that give the alive feeling. 

Perhaps the title of my post "I Wish a Sound Like..." sounded too literaly.  Well, your coment and my response helps to clear up any mistake.

Thank you for your sincerity

Have a nice day.