Topic: Linux version now available

We have released a v3.0.3 update to pianoteq which is the first version that is also available as a native Linux (x86) application with Jack and Alsa backend (there is also another new instrument in 3.0.3 update, but lets focus on the Linux version in this thread). It should work on all "recent enough" Linux distributions. Let us know if you experience any problem (but of course we cannot help with the general audio/midi setup on Linux, as there are many different distributions, with many different potential configurations and problems)

Re: Linux version now available

That's great news.  I'll give this demo a try now.

The program launches and play midi files really well but I'll have to move my piano back to the computer to test out the midi connection to the piano.

That was a great attempt at linux doc that you included and I'll add that I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit and that doesn't have an "audio" group.  I simply replaced it with my own user group.  I think they replaced "audio" with a pulseaudio group.  I couldn't detect any conflict with pulseaudio still running but some people might have problems if some other program has a lock on an audio resource.

Ubuntu 9.04 also doesn't seem to need a special RT kernel installed anymore.  Once I had changed the settings in limits.conf jack started in RT mode without issue.

I'll add another update once I get the digital piano moved over so I can test input from there.  I'm fairly impressed so far.  (Now money is the only thing keeping me from purchasing right away.)

Last edited by sawtooth (15-05-2009 16:39)

Everything seems to work great with no added steps to get the midi working properly.  The Roland FP-7 works fine via the USB connection built into the piano.  All I had to do was start JACK and start the pianoteq trial and things worked perfectly well.

I did notice a slight UI bug that happens when pressing "k" to toggle the keyboard display.  The window remains at the normal size (I have yet to test in windows) and shows a gray area where the keyboard used to appear.  Then, if you press "k" again to show the keyboard the whole UI moves down and left just a bit.  I'm pretty sure I'm in a fairly normal Gnome desktop environment in Ubuntu 9.04.  Maybe I'll boot into windows to observe the functionality there as it might not just be an issue with the linux version.

Great!
I'm about to migrate to Linux (Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit to be exact) and I thought I would have to say goodbye to Pianoteq (or use it in Wine with all its side-effects). Good to know that now there's a Linux version too!

I'll try it soon and will post my impressions.

Last edited by s12a (16-05-2009 10:49)

I did notice a slight UI bug that happens when pressing "k" to toggle the keyboard display.

Mmm you are right, this is a bug, the window should resize and not move.

Just a small observation:

Bugs and mistakes will happen - that's part of the human condition, but without honesty, there is no credibility.

What I like about the Pianoteq people is that if there is a bug, they admit it and don't try to gloss it over with BS.

Glenn

Glenn NK wrote:

What I like about the Pianoteq people is that if there is a bug, they admit it and don't try to gloss it over with BS.

Unlike EastWest with PLAY.

-_-'

Hard work and guts!

One other UI issue can be found in the keybinding window.  There are no controls to close this window but escape seems to close it.  However, if you try to bind an action to the escape key you can no longer close the window until you unbind escape.

This issue may exist across all platforms.

[EDIT]

Hmm, maybe I missed the escape key while testing as I can't seem to reproduce that one anymore.  Sorry.

However, it might be wise to include some non-keyboard way to close out of that window.

Last edited by sawtooth (16-05-2009 23:31)

8.7 MB?  How did the download size drop so much?

Works perfectly here.  Ubuntu 8.10, AMD 64 (Quad-core Phenom II 940)

And I knew nothing about Jack until now.  Just winged it:

sudo apt-get install jackd
sudo qjackctl
(played with the settings a little: realtime, frames to adjust latency)

Had to run pianoteq as root (sudo) to connect to the jack server.  Not sure if I can run jackd as a user, but I bet I can fiddle with the permissions.

Thanks for making this linux version!!!  I had just bought PT for my Macbook, so this makes it that much better of a purchase!

I might build a Ubuntu box from spare parts that sits permanently at my piano's side just to run this. (my own affordable dedicated alternative)  Heck, it could probably even just boot off of a thumb drive.

JerryKnight wrote:

8.7 MB?  How did the download size drop so much?

Works perfectly here.  Ubuntu 8.10, AMD 64 (Quad-core Phenom II 940)

And I knew nothing about Jack until now.  Just winged it:

sudo apt-get install jackd
sudo qjackctl
(played with the settings a little: realtime, frames to adjust latency)

Had to run pianoteq as root (sudo) to connect to the jack server.  Not sure if I can run jackd as a user, but I bet I can fiddle with the permissions.

Thanks for making this linux version!!!  I had just bought PT for my Macbook, so this makes it that much better of a purchase!

I might build a Ubuntu box from spare parts that sits permanently at my piano's side just to run this. (my own affordable dedicated alternative)  Heck, it could probably even just boot off of a thumb drive.

If you type "sudo qjackctl" then you're running jack as root when you start it.  That may be why you were having to run pianoteq as root to connect properly.  Also be sure that you followed the steps from the readme but by slightly altering the @audio to @username (for your user group) in the limits.conf file.  You will have to log out and log back in to get those changes to take effect.

As far as the size of the file, I'm pretty sure the executable is compressed (the windows version may be as well, but the linux version may also have fewer functions and libraries included thus reducing file size)

Thanks, I might have had trouble running qjackctl as a user, so my default fix-all is to sudo it.  Since it's not a shared system, I typically don't worry about permissions much, but I'm sure there are those who do.

EDIT:  The actual binary is 6.2 MB, which shows just how amazing this program really is.  The other 14-15 MB in the Mac/Win versions is no doubt just extra stuff to deal with the OS.

Last edited by JerryKnight (16-05-2009 20:04)

s12a wrote:

I thought I would have to say goodbye to Pianoteq (or use it in Wine with all its side-effects).

What side-effects are you experiencing with Wine?

FWIW, I have been using Pianoteq via 64studio (32-bit version, based on Debian Lenny) for almost a year now, running it out my external Echo Audiofire2 firewire audio interface using FFADO RC1 via Jack.  Most of the Wine/Firewire bugs have been worked out, and I can use the program for hours (either standalone or VST) before something weird happens and I have to close out and restart.  Pianoteq v3 completely eliminates the VST GUI issues of v2.

I am extremely excited to see that there is now a native Linux version!  It may be that the only music software I have to run through Wine now is Encore v4.5...!

But it is nice to know that I have a stable windows VST setup, in case I get more involved in electronic music in the future and want to explore the possibility that VSTs offer.

Now the only issue I still face is speaker placement...

PS Yes, I appreciate Modartt's honesty when it comes to bugs -- I think this attitude and customers' understanding is a large party why Pianoteq will remain a superior product!

Last edited by ethanay (16-05-2009 20:04)

ethanay wrote:
s12a wrote:

I thought I would have to say goodbye to Pianoteq (or use it in Wine with all its side-effects).

What side-effects are you experiencing with Wine?

FWIW, I have been using Pianoteq via 64studio (32-bit version, based on Debian Lenny) for almost a year now, running it out my external Echo Audiofire2 firewire audio interface using FFADO RC1 via Jack.  Most of the Wine/Firewire bugs have been worked out, and I can use the program for hours (either standalone or VST) before something weird happens and I have to close out and restart.  Pianoteq v3 completely eliminates the VST GUI issues of v2.

I am extremely excited to see that there is now a native Linux version!  It may be that the only music software I have to run through Wine now is Encore v4.5...!

But it is nice to know that I have a stable windows VST setup, in case I get more involved in electronic music in the future and want to explore the possibility that VSTs offer.

Now the only issue I still face is speaker placement...

PS Yes, I appreciate Modartt's honesty when it comes to bugs -- I think this attitude and customers' understanding is a large party why Pianoteq will remain a superior product!

Getting Pianoteq to run with Wine on Ubuntu requires some compiling steps due to needing a header that can only be obtained via downloading something from Steinberg if I recall correctly.  It can run otherwise but doesn't get the low latency.  The native version makes things much easier.

I seem to be on sort of a roll finding a few issues.

This time after loading a midi file I tried to use the menu to scroll down to the export function.

However, as I would scroll past the "Recent Midi files" menu would pop open to the side.  Then, as I tried to continue to scroll down the menu the File menu simply goes away.  If I scroll fast enough I can make it down to export but otherwise I need the shortcut to access the rest of the file menu normally.

One could also move the mouse off the pianoteq window to "sneak" around the recent midi file submenu.

Hmm...now I seem to have an issue trying to export audio from a loaded midi file I created on my piano.  I'll add an update when I get done testing some things out here.

I can't seem to export audio when using the JACK interface.  I could export when using ALSA, but not with the high quality option.  That also causes pianoteq to freeze and I need to kill it to close.

I tried a few different JACK settings with no change.  I only have a motherborad based intel sound device but it works fine otherwise.

I had the same lockup when using the built in midi file as well as one my piano generated.

Maybe some other users of the linux trial version could try out the export feature and report back with success or failure?

sawtooth wrote:

Getting Pianoteq to run with Wine on Ubuntu requires some compiling steps due to needing a header that can only be obtained via downloading something from Steinberg if I recall correctly.  It can run otherwise but doesn't get the low latency.  The native version makes things much easier.

Wine + WineASIO is no longer an issue, as the same with dss-vst.  Someone has created an open source option to replace the Steinberg headers, so you can just download, compile and install w/o using Steinberg code

as for the other issues...i have yet to try 3.03 (let alone native Linux -- a few other issues in life to deal with right now) but will report back when I do...

For Ubuntu users, I recommend having a look at:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt...reparation

You will find every information about how to tweak well to make music.

By the way, thanks a lot to the Pianoteq team for providing the Linux Audio Users with a so very good audio application.

Toine

It's me (again!)

I'm just trying to make good use of the trial and do some bug hunting along the way to even help out all those paying customers so far!

I didn't spot this one right away as I was launching via GUI most of the time, but when I used the terminal I noticed that I would get a "!! killing thread by force !!" error most of the time upon exit and sometimes even a segfault.

I will only get that error if my digital piano is still connected via a Juce midi in port in the patchbay of Jack when I exit pianoteq.

I'm pretty sure my Roland fp-7 sends a pretty constant stream of events to the midi output so maybe that is keeping the thread from disconnecting properly.  Either way, it might be good for some other folks trying the linux version to launch from the command line and see if they get any of those types of errors upon exiting.

Just a follow up on the menu issue regarding the recently used file submenu and the file menu disappearing if you tried to scroll past it.  This appears to be a bug (I'll assume you're using Juce for the UI since that's being used for the audio as well) when I have different levels of desktop effects turned on.  If I disable fancy desktop effects on my machine I can use the menu normally.   If I turn that setting up a bit my system draws menus with a fancy bubble like pop in and that seems to break the menu code causing the issue.

Maybe I can download the Juce code on my end and see if they have any demos where I can reproduce the bug.  I can't really code in C so I might not have much luck recreating the problem myself.

I'm such a pain in the neck, eh?

The "Check for updates" option in the Help menu leads to a page that reads "unknow product"

The url that is generated is: http://www.pianoteq.com/check_version?p...p;os=linux

I'm just reporting any problems like a good unpaid product tester should!

Hi sawtooth,

Excellent work at chasing bugs ! I have updated the version on our site with a few corrections -- In particular the wav export issue you mentioned should no more happen.

You are correct that we are using Juce for the GUI -- that's why it was possible to do a linux port without too much difficulties. Regarding the menu bug, I can't yet reproduce it since I had disabled the desktop effects (they were causing many xruns). I'll try to re-enable them.

The "killing thread by force" should not appear anymore, it was the alsa midi thread which was not willing to die while midi events were still flowing.

Here's a link to a short avi that shows what happens to the menu when I have extra graphical desktop effects on "normal" on Ubuntu 9.04.

http://www.box.net/shared/z15y4jx3jf

Pretty much once that side menu pops up you can't keep scrolling in the main menu.  Turning off the desktop effects fixes the issue.  From looking at those Juce forums it seems that Juce doesn't always get along with compiz very well.

Anyway, I'm sure that anyone running pianoteq and looking for max performance might be smart enough to keep extra effects turned off.

Feel free to upload the video or show it to the Juce folks if you need to.

It looks like all of the issues I reported earlier (besides the website check for updates one) are fixed.  That's some quick bug fixing!  I'll let the web related one slide for now as that may be more of a website issue than one in the program.

One other slight issue I found is that if you don't close the initial "Pianoteq is running in trial mode" message then you do not get the other message window that appears when 20 minutes have past.

sawtooth wrote:

Make sure you are running a real time kernel (like Ubuntu Studio) and it should perform very well indeed! You may also want to try turning off multi-processor support (wine or native) to see if your performance improves...

JR

Last edited by johnrule (18-05-2009 01:11)

There is an issue with the load midi file dialog box.

I have some midi files with a .midi extension instead of .mid, however I cannot get them to display in the box.  It isn't possible to change the filter by typing into the filename portion of the dialog box (or at least not how I tried it.)

If you manage to type in a filename that actually exists the open button will enable itself but you'd better know the name of the file you want!

I normally ignore a default *.mid search by typing * or *.midi in the file box and that works on most systems.   You might also be able to change the file filter pretty easily.  I don't know what format it uses though.

There can't be all that many issues left by now!

[edit]

Looking at the juce docs if you're using WildcardFileFilter you can just add a 2nd entry like:  "*.mid;*.midi"

Last edited by sawtooth (18-05-2009 07:20)

Big thanks for the Linux version!!! Just gave it a spin on a notebook (only thing available at that moment) and it made the sun shine brighter.

But now I'm getting greedy. How about splitting the engine from the gui and provide an API? I for one would like to see a console version and a client/server way of controlling  the engine. Then it becomes possible to run it on headless (integrated) machines connected to fancy consoles.

You guys might want to update the "Buy" section so that the supported platforms includes Linux .

Fantastic product, I'm very interested in buying!

Finally a linux version I am so happy about that! I've always considered buying pianoteq, but couldn't get it to work in the past in linux. So the time has come to buy a license. Thank you very much Modartt!

Hi! first post here!

thanks for Linux version! I'm part of Renoise team, which is one of the few commercial DAW's which has also made a Linux version, so I appreciate this news very much!

However, since Renoise also supports native Linux VST plugins, I ask you if there are any plans to release Pianoteq as a VST .so file.

Actually, when I read the news, I was expecting this kind of release too.

thanks!

And here I thought I was done.

I'd like to add that I can still get the "!! killing thread by force !!" message when closing.  My system has a built in "Midi Through" port as well as the Roland MIDI when that is connected via USB.

If I let pianoteq connect to both ports when running it will give that error when exiting.  If I select one at a time (it doesn't matter which) it will exit normally.  If I select both I will get the killing thread warning.  So it appears to be an issue when connecting to multiple controllers.

I seem to have a few issues with selecting output channels for the ALSA driver dialog box as well.

My HDA Intel shows six output channels in the pianoteq window.  Channel 1 is the left output and if I disable it then it works as expected.  Audio in the right channel.  However, if I try to uncheck Channel two then pianoteq closes with a segmentation fault.  I'm not sure why anyone would turn off the right channel but who am I to say it wouldn't happen.  I know most people will use JACK for the better latency and with Jack at least all the connections are done outside of Pianoteq.  Strange things happen when selecting a few other of the channels but that may be related to what those channels are really for.  (Selecting 3 or 5 sets the output back to << None >> and I have to select the sound output to use again.

My sound card has HDA Intel (1) and HDA Intel (2) for output choices and I think the second is digital.  However, it exibits the same issue when trying to uncheck channel 2.

I was thinking this issue may be a classic off by one error but then I was expecting unchecking channel one to disable the right but maybe the off by one is just in a slightly different place.

That's all for now!

sawtooth (Unofficial linux pianoteq bug finding champion)  (But to be fair some of the issues are relating to the UI toolkit and not directly pianoteq itself)

It-Alien wrote:

thanks for Linux version! I'm part of Renoise team, which is one of the few commercial DAW's which has also made a Linux version, so I appreciate this news very much!

Hi ! Actually the availability of renoise was part of the decision process, as it showed that you were able to distribute a common binary for all Linux distributions, which was one of the things bothering me. I must also say that I found that your linux setup page http://tutorials.renoise.com/Renoise/SettingUpLinux was really a good read.

About distributing a plugin version, we wanted to start slow, and fix issues in the standalone version first. And then there is the choice of the plugin format, which is still annoying me:
- native linux VST : as far as I know , it is only supported by closed-source hosts, such as renoise or energy-xt , because of the licensing problems of the vst sdk with gpl products. However this is for us the simplest format to support.
- DSSI plugin : probably the most supported plugin format right now, but it is said everywhere that it is now deprecated and should be replaced by LV2.
- LV2 : still not supported by many hosts, and not VST2-friendly as there is a strict separation between gui and dsp code that is enforced with the "ports" stuff as a communication channel. Would require a *lot* a work to adapt Juce for that.

I would really like that we support only one plugin format on Linux, as testing and fixing bugs in each plugin flavor can be very time consuming and we have already a lot to do with vst, rtas, au on windows, macos, .. There are already so many combinations..

Hi Julien, and thanks for your prompt answer!

I don't think there is any problem in compiling open source VST plugins in Linux, as MDA-VST project is open source and available as Linux binary.

probably this can be done how suggested here.

glad to know Renoise was part of the decision, but then I would suggest to support native VST plugins as Renoise does not support DSSI

Hi Julien,

Nice to see the Linux/JACK version. Works nicely on a 4 cores Dell machine using the forthcoming JACK2 version.

Note that JACK2 is also available on OSX (see http://www.jackosx.com/) and on Windows (see http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html).

Since the JACK output is already coded in the Linux version, I guess it would a matter or recompilation to have PianoTeq natively support the JACK API on those 3 platforms... (in case it makes sense).

Thanks Modartt team for this great initiative!

Now if I could only get my M-Audio Firewire card (ProFire 610) running under Ubuntu ....

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

julien wrote:

... the availability of renoise was part of the decision process, as it showed that you were able to distribute a common binary for all Linux distributions...

Dave Phillips here. I've written a few articles about Linux audio, including a review of Renoise. A list of my work can be found at this URL:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/800764/track

I agree completely about Renoise. In my opinion they discovered the Right Way to present commercial Linux audio software, and their product, like Pianoteq, worked beautifully out of the box on all my systems here at Studio Dave.

Btw, those systems include two versions of Ubuntu, one of Debian, and one of OpenSUSE. All are equipped with a realtime-enabled kernel and nVidia's proprietary graphics drivers. My production boxes use M-Audio Delta 66 interface hardware, the laptop is running an Edirol UA25.

.... there is the choice of the plugin format, which is still annoying me:
- native linux VST : as far as I know , it is only supported by closed-source hosts, such as renoise or energy-xt , because of the licensing problems of the vst sdk with gpl products. However this is for us the simplest format to support.

You missed the open-source JOST project, actually one of the best hosts for native Linux VSTs:

http://www.anticore.org/jucetice/?page_id=4

It's a great environment, also JUCE-based. Btw, I think going with the JUCE framework was an excellent decision by both the Renoise team and the Pianoteq crew.

- DSSI plugin : probably the most supported plugin format right now, but it is said everywhere that it is now deprecated and should be replaced by LV2.

I think you have confused DSSI with LADSPA. LADSPA is by far the more supported format, but it is definitely not for consideration by Pianoteq. It has no integral support for GUIs, but more importantly it is not a format for instruments. See LV2 for that evolution.

- LV2 : still not supported by many hosts, and not VST2-friendly as there is a strict separation between gui and dsp code that is enforced with the "ports" stuff as a communication channel. Would require a *lot* a work to adapt Juce for that.

Please allow me to encourage that work then. LV2 is the future of native Linux plugins. See the CALF plugin set by Krystof Foltzman for a good demonstration of LV2's potential:

http://calf.sourceforge.net/

Check the screenshots. I've been using these plugins with Ardour, I recommend them highly.

I would really like that we support only one plugin format on Linux, as testing and fixing bugs in each plugin flavor can be very time consuming and we have already a lot to do with vst, rtas, au on windows, macos, .. There are already so many combinations..

We're just trying to keep up with the Big Boys on the block.

I suggest deciding between native VST and LV2. You may want to contact JOST developer Lucio Asnaghi about his work converting VSTs to native Linux .so versions, he's been pretty successful with some ports.

HTH,

dp

Last edited by Dave Phillips (24-05-2009 14:24)

julien wrote:

We have released a v3.0.3 update to pianoteq which is the first version that is also available as a native Linux (x86) application...

Bless your heads for doing so. I'm testing Pianoteq on 32-bit and 64-bit Linux platforms, so far everything has worked wonderfully.

I'm writing a review of the program for the Linux Journal's Web site, I'll put a notice here when it goes on-line.

Btw, I first heard of Pianoteq from Michael Gogins, a respected Csound developer/composer and enthusiastic user of your product. Michael highly recommends Pianoteq, now I understand why.

Best regards,

Dave Phillips

Last edited by Dave Phillips (24-05-2009 13:23)

etalmor wrote:

... if I could only get my M-Audio Firewire card (ProFire 610) running under Ubuntu ....

A Google search for 'ProFire 610 Linux' revealed a thread on the M-Audio forum regarding the possibility of M-Audio contributing driver source code to the FFADO and/or FreeBob projects. Alas, Digidesign (they own M-Audio now) isn't exactly Linux-friendly, and the responses on the thread aren't encouraging. I suggest that you write to M-Audio or post on the forum and indicate (politely, of course) that your purchase depends upon the existence of Linux support, either directly or indirectly. It's real simple: If they want the business they'll do something to get it. Otherwise they don't want or need your business. Btw, you might want to check with the FFADO site for a supported similar product.

I suggest deciding between native VST and LV2. You may want to contact JOST developer Lucio Asnaghi about his work converting VSTs to native Linux .so versions

Yes, right, I should have mentionned Jost as I have discussed with Lucio a few times on the Juce forum I think for now, the only realistic option is a VST version. If the clean-room reverse engineered VST spec mentioned in an earlier port works well, some other open-source hosts may also choose to support native vst ?

yeah, would be cool if VST plugins were compiled natively as well. The VeSTige header file makes it possible without the bother of the Steinberg licence so one can distribute linux binaries.

Julien, please do so, enable a linux VST version. JOST users will figure out issues if any. The big guys like ardour (LV2, win32 VST via FST) or rosegarden (DSSI) will have to evolve. Damn, the VST plugin devs should know more about this!

Can't believe it! Pianoteq with JACK support! I'm testing it right now, eveything seems to work fine. I setup JACK to 16 samples per period on 48kHz (I have setup 3 periods per buffer fill, so that's total 1ms latency on integrated soundcard!) and Pianoteq works perfectly. I could never achieve it with Wine emulation.

MIDI works perfectly (with Korg's nanoKontrol). Howewer the weird thing is that it creates three ALSA sequencer clients. All three seem to work.

And the second issue pops up when closing PianoTeq. Here is dump of my terminal:

mcv@asus /home/.apps/Pianoteq30 Trial % ./Pianoteq30\ Trial

Multi-core: got real-time scheduling with priority 65
!! killing thread by force !!
zsh: segmentation fault  ./Pianoteq30\ Trial

I'm writing as someone who knows almost nothing about Linux, largely because Linux scares me: too many choices, and too little time to research the advantages and limitations of each choice.

Is there now a simple way to just insert a CD and install Linux and everything needed, without having to choose various interfaces and download multiple drivers and other code? I don't want to have to choose between Wine and other platforms and install drivers from several companies. Yes, I hate to admit it, but I essentially want to be able to install everything much as I might install Windows XT or Mac OS-X, install programs, and get to work.

I understand that this is a simpleton's worry, but it seems to me to also be the worry that keeps Linux underused. There is disagreement about what interface is best and a lot of discussion about what needs to be downloaded to make specific programs work. (And I'm simple...)

mcv wrote:

Can't believe it! Pianoteq with JACK support! I'm testing it right now, eveything seems to work fine. I setup JACK to 16 samples per period on 48kHz (I have setup 3 periods per buffer fill, so that's total 1ms latency on integrated soundcard!) and Pianoteq works perfectly. I could never achieve it with Wine emulation.

MIDI works perfectly (with Korg's nanoKontrol). Howewer the weird thing is that it creates three ALSA sequencer clients. All three seem to work.

And the second issue pops up when closing PianoTeq. Here is dump of my terminal:

mcv@asus /home/.apps/Pianoteq30 Trial % ./Pianoteq30\ Trial

Multi-core: got real-time scheduling with priority 65
zsh: segmentation fault  ./Pianoteq30\ Trial

I had the thread issue and it went away when I stopped letting pianoteq connect to all midi inputs.  I only get that error upon closing when more than one midi item is selected.  My system only has the piano and a midi thru item.  I can safely select one or the other and things are fine but if I try to select more than one I end up with that issue upon closing.

Jake Johnson wrote:

Is there now a simple way to just insert a CD and install Linux and everything needed, without having to choose various interfaces and download multiple drivers and other code? I don't want to have to choose between Wine and other platforms and install drivers from several companies. Yes, I hate to admit it, but I essentially want to be able to install everything much as I might install Windows XT or Mac OS-X, install programs, and get to work.

The only driver I ever download is nVidia's binary driver for my video cards. All other drivers are included in the Linux distribution itself. Downloading drivers from 3rd-parties is far more common on Windows.

Nothing wrong with wanting seamless and hassle-free installs.

I suggest you take a trial spin with Linux by using a "live" CD/DVD. That's a nice way of testing Linux without going through the install process. Alas, you won't get the low-latency action until it's installed, but at least you can check out the system without committing to it.

However, I want to make something very clear: If you have no compelling reason to switch operating systems, DON'T DO IT. I'm dead serious about that, I've seen too many well-intentioned people try Linux without really understanding what it is or how different it is from the Win/Mac world. If you're productive and happy with what you have, then stay with it. If you want to experiment with Linux, try the live discs before you try a real installation.

I understand that this is a simpleton's worry, but it seems to me to also be the worry that keeps Linux underused. There is disagreement about what interface is best and a lot of discussion about what needs to be downloaded to make specific programs work. (And I'm simple...)

The problem is that people are uninformed and continue to make bad choices because of it. There's no problem with interfaces (assuming you mean audio interface hardware), just use an RME Hammerfall or one of M-Audio's Delta pieces. There's very little choice where pro-audio interfaces are concerned.

If you install an optimized distro such as 64 Studio or Planet CCRMA most of your concerns are already addressed. But I still suggest taking some time to learn about the system before diving into it. Linux is very powerful, like a tank. Maybe you can drive a car, but would you trust yourself behind the operating system of a tank if you know nothing about it ?

One thing more: Avoid Ubuntu Studio 9.04. Once again the UStudio realtime kernel is broken.

Dave Phillips wrote:

One thing more: Avoid Ubuntu Studio 9.04. Once again the UStudio realtime kernel is broken.

yeah, how sad..

this is also true for linux-rt Ubuntu package in general.

apparently, kernel 2.29 is going to fix this, as some people already compiled it and also released a .deb package which seem to work fine. I don't know anything about a release date of this new kernel version.

Hi,

Ubuntu (Studio) seems to be quite popular among Pianoteq-on-Linux users here, reading this thread.

I'm using Pianoteq on Fedora 10 with the real-time kernel from PlanetCCRMA. Runs perfectly.

Any other other Linux flavours around here ?

m.tarenskeen wrote:

(…) I'm using Pianoteq on Fedora 10 with the real-time kernel from PlanetCCRMA. Runs perfectly.

Any other other Linux flavours around here ?

Arch Linux with standard kernel (2.6.29) here. :-)

debian sid / experimental, intel 32bit, core 2 duo E6600
kernel 2.6.29.4-rt15 I believe (home-compiled)

we have released a 3.0.4 update that should fix that issue.

Thanks a lot!

julien wrote:

I suggest deciding between native VST and LV2. You may want to contact JOST developer Lucio Asnaghi about his work converting VSTs to native Linux .so versions

Yes, right, I should have mentionned Jost as I have discussed with Lucio a few times on the Juce forum I think for now, the only realistic option is a VST version. If the clean-room reverse engineered VST spec mentioned in an earlier port works well, some other open-source hosts may also choose to support native vst ?

I'm using the Linux version of Pianoteq on Fedora 10 with the PlanetCCRMA rt-kernel. It's working great.

But now, using wine, I also installed the Windows VST plugin on my Linux box. And I have installed the dssi-vst wrapper package. It works like a charm (which cannot be said for all VST plugins I have tried with dssi-vst).

On my Linux box I can now use Pianotech as a standalone instrument, but also have it available for example inside the Rosegarden sequencer with the look and feel of a native DSSI plugin.

I don't have/use any apps that support native Linux VST, and am quite happy with this dssi-vst solution.