Topic: Slightly OT: Saxophone modeling

I'm blown away by this saxophone modeling instrument.  It still uses sampling, but it has special real time algorithm to make it 'real'.

http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_sax.php

Sorry if it's been posted here before.

Re: Slightly OT: Saxophone modeling

You haven't heard about WIVI, then?

www.wallanderinstruments.com

Hard work and guts!

OMG!!!  That's very neat EvilDragon.  I knew I need to get an iPhone.

No, not only for iPhone. WIVI is a professional-grade brass modeling VST. Sounds awesome. I want it. I need some cash, too XD

Arne is also working on strings models, so based on this, we can expect a full-fledged orchestra without gigabytes of samples in a year or two or three!

Hard work and guts!

Goodness gracious, that's NICE!

And yes:  down with samplers!!!  Their time has come to an end.

"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

WIVI is sort of hybrid isn't it?  But regardless, their stuff is awesome.

Oh darn, I spoke too soon!  Can't kill those samplers yet.  ;^)

I bought the Sample Modeling sax and trumpet instruments today, and I _love_ them!  I'll be getting the Wallender stuff as soon as I can, too!  All of a sudden, I have a John & Alice Coltrane thing going on in my head (you know, dreamy sax and piano combo, not the harsh "stream of notes" stuff that John also practiced).  Combine the brass with some nice reverb/delay, and you've got a _great_ setup!

"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

kensuguro wrote:

WIVI is sort of hybrid isn't it?  But regardless, their stuff is awesome.

Nope, it's not. It's basically an additive synth. It models the behaviour of instruments based on researching samples recorded by real instruments, which is much the same way Pianoteq was done. It's not a hybrid like Truepianos, for example.

Last edited by EvilDragon (07-04-2009 09:06)
Hard work and guts!

Wow! Samplemodeling seems wonderful!
For what concerning WIVI I'm not quite sure; sound is warm but from mf on seems too 'electric' to me.. For orchestral sound I think I still prefer synful, especially for small camera string arrangement. Listen to it:

http://www.synful.com/Sounds/Synful_Pla...uartet.mp3

Synful has a different technology that suits perfect for instruments with different and varying envelopes like strings and winds

I bought my copy of "Mr. Sax T." two days ago, and I can confirm it is a great instrument. I can't play the saxophone, but with my breath controller and "Mr. Sax T." it feels as if I could... And it sounds great.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others