Topic: Plugin hosting in Pro version...?

Any chance the Pro version will host a plugin -VST or otherwise ?  I just think it would be great if I could use a standalone version with the option of having the reverb or other effect/instrument of my choice added -particularly if the setup could be saved as a preset.  I know you can do this by running Pianoteq as a plug in another app -and I don't know how difficult it is to implement this.  But if it's not that difficult, it could be sweet.... (as in sweet/rad/cat's pajamas....)

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Re: Plugin hosting in Pro version...?

And if we were adding a few more midi tracks we could call it Logiq, Cubateq or ProTooq

I think I can safely say that we have no plans for that feature ! Writing a reasonably complex plugin that works well in all VST/AU/RTAS hosts is already a very hard task, having it also able to load all the other VST/AU would be a great opportunity for many new bugs and problems to sneak in. So we prefer to leave those bugs and compatibility problems to host developers

More seriously, you should really look for a good plugin host, maybe not a full blown sequencer, but any performance oriented host should fulfill your needs, for example vsthost, cantabile, usine, forte, v-stack, etc, there are tons of them, and they will all do their job much better than a pianoteq host would !

Like I said, I had no idea of the complexity, so with that info, I'm very glad you won't add that feature.  Definitely concentrate on the meat & potatoes... ( though I'd like a bit more curry........ )

btw, it would be helpful to be able to change the eq to log or regular display..  personally my eyes are more used to a log scale since that's the norm for most software.  Plus you get more definition above 10k range that way.

Also, I personally think that a standard parametric 4 band eq is easier to control (usual shelf, bandpass, notch, high pass/low pass types)..  I'm guessing the current one is a fft type filter, is there any way to use the same back end but just have a parametric 4 band eq "mode"?

Last edited by kensuguro (16-03-2009 03:44)

What about use the equalizer/velocity  small window, to also display usefull information, connected on-line, like dolar cotation, Dow Jones,  CNN News informs?

;-)

Hi Kensuguro,

The eq is already using a log-scale for frequencies, or maybe I did not understand what you ask for ?

You are right that it is not a typical equalizer, but something a bit different -- this eq is applied as a pre-processing step, it is not based on filtering. The advantage is that it has no CPU cost, and is very precise. Indeed it is very similar to the spectrum profile sliders: they allow you to change the harmonics weights based on their index, while the eq window allow you change the harmonics based on their frequency. Another difference with a typical equalizer is that this one does not affect the volume of notes, they are "renormalized" after equalization.

So they are more like a timbral tool, rather than a filtering tool, in fact?

I mean, filters can be considered as timbral modifying tools, too, but this EQ is on a whole different level.

Hard work and guts!

the pianoteq EQ is much better -
using a convential EQ would just make yukky bumps and humps in the frequency spectrum for certain notes.

... not to mention phase non-linearities and/or time-reversal artefacts (depending on which algorithm you implement).

Because the PTQ EQ is equivalent to having no conventional EQ at all, in respect of no effect on the transfer function, it is the only known example of eating your cake and having it

feline1 wrote:

the pianoteq EQ is much better -
using a convential EQ would just make yukky bumps and humps in the frequency spectrum for certain notes.

Ditto.... just give me a graphic display for rumble and quake, too, and I'll be tickled dark blue.....  Overlords -any chance we could have a better way of submitting suggestions and knowing what has already been submitted ?  I mean, it might make your work easier.  Maybe a new forum section only for suggested features and the feedback of others toward that feature.  Sorry to be thinking up more work for you guys... but it might alleviate redundancy and show better feedback on specific ideas.
Or I could be wrong.  I was wrong once, 20 years ago, when I thought I was wrong but I was actually right.

I think it would be useful to control the eq somehow via midi.
Just a suggestion:
If you have n points in the eq graph, have midi controls attached to each point's frequency/amplitude ...:
point1-freq: #CC
point1-amp: #CC
point2-freq: #CC
point2-amp: #CC

etc ...
if there are less points then midi attachments, then simply the extra attachments will be ignored ...

what do you think?

-- Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

This is something that you can do with the current version: right click on a control point of the equalizer or velocity curve, and choose "Assign Midi Control" -- you will be able to control both X and Y component.

Oh Cool!!! :-)

I know i'm going to use this a lot, by freezing the EQ. It all comes together so elegantly

thanks a lot julien

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

I am using Bidule as my host for PTeq 3.0, Gigastudio and Kontakt.
It works flawlessley, the pedals are attached via a MIDI Solutions F8.
Thanks to your method of having 3 installs, I have a laptop install, a stage DAW install, and an internet PC install for ease of updating, etc.
I do not use native reverbs and prefer hardware, but on my laptop, I can jump offstage and grab a cheapo ES88 ( action sucks ) a laptop and 2 pedals for sostenuto and sustain and perform at the showroom entrance in 5 minutes. The reverb if used in small amounts sounds just fine. The EQ hasn't even been necessary yet, but I am sure I will have other house systems in the future where the EQ will be needed.
I spend very little time programming anything on PTeq 3.0.
Changed a few presets to have bypassed effects, and that's about it.
I spend more time playing and enjoying it as it is ready for battle right out of the box.
The best thing is it plays like a Piano should. I am sure many will say their 1 Terabyte OctoQuad Library has better sound, etc.
I beg to differ. I have several of these giant hogs and they sound great, but do not perform well, have no sostenuto pedal, and just are a big PITA for a performer. I don't have the luxury of overdubs and curve draws on a sequencer. I get one shot, and PTeq 3.0 handles that chore effortlessley.
I can't imagine how much better the Pro version will be.
Don't cave in to the endless cacklers that want more Molasses.
I have even changed my opinion about multi zone editing.
You guys did a great job with this, I won't even upgrade unless I hear a major difference....

Last edited by teamsterjim (30-03-2009 13:36)
Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....