Topic: i've been converted! congrats with pt3

lol, some of you may remember all my sour posts about the pt2 sound, etc.  Well guys, I've just purchased pt3 and ep add on pack.

I spent a long time demoing pt3.  It wasn't an explosive positive response, but the more time I spent with it, I began to hear all the details.  The deal making moment was returning to a sample lib after several days of JUST demoing pt3.

I'm still not convinced that pt3's sound is optimal for jazz/blues/pop, but I can very much understand that the piano is very well voiced for classic.  It responds extremely well to a more chilled out velocity zone, and as long as I'm in that zone, the illusion is very believable.  It seems like the problem is not the physmod engine itself, but the way the original piano is voiced.  I've heard many pianos voiced like the pt3 pianos.  So maybe it's just a matter of getting a model of a piano voiced in a particular way.

I am still looking forward to pro, and hope the sound is improved towards jazz/blues/pop, but for now, I'd like to congratulate Modart and the pt dev team for pushing the product this far.  It's quite an achievement, and while I'll remain critical of its sound, I'd like to continue supporting its evolution.  Great job, round of applause guys.

Re: i've been converted! congrats with pt3

Referring to the return to sample libraries:

Yeah, once you go 'Teq, you can't go beq.  %^)

The comparison is nonexistent, isn't it?

I wouldn't say _any_ instrument is perfect (certainly not in the software domain ;^), but PT3 is amazing.

"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

Thank you Kensugoro, we are very glad about your decision and warmly welcome you as a Pianoteq customer.

Regards,
Niclas

Good to hear the news,  kensuguro. Congratulations.

One by one, it's becoming clearer that we're on the right track - the PT track.

I have made a Pianoteq version of virtually every sample I've DL'd from the sample library sites, and almost without exception, the PT 2.3 version was better.  (Clarification - I didn't play RIB - I DL'd it from a site).

The same comparisons using PT 3.0 simply wouldn't be fair, because the sample demos would be blown away.

There is a demo by "propianist" on one site of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.  His sounded OK until I rendered it with 2.3 - then it became painfully obvious that the sample version simply did not match up.  I won't name the sample library - you can find it for yourself.

The midi file is here:

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/pakistan/72/jazz.htm

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (12-03-2009 04:21)

Hey Kensuguro
So Pianoteq has at last won you over !
Good on ya... Have lots of fun with it!

cheers
Hans