Topic: In Pianoteq, what is the difference between sound recording and stereo?

In Pianoteq, what is the difference between sound recording and stereo, and why mic positions can not be tweaked in stereo, and only in sound recording?

Re: In Pianoteq, what is the difference between sound recording and stereo?

Please read manual, page 42, it is explained.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Please read manual, page 42, it is explained.

OK I saw that and still don't understand.
What does it mean compatibility with older version?
Why do I need compatibility with older version, I use the current version and that's it.
Also, it doesn't explain the exact difference and why you can't controll mic position in stereo.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=2996

Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

Thanks for the above questions and answers, including the linked topic.  These things have puzzled me in the past as well. 

Which brings to mind two questions:

1)  Are Native Instruments' sampled pianos set up for their output to have 'stereophonic' equivalents?  (Is choosing 'Stereophonic' in Pianoteq the closest thing to match the Native Instruments pianos' output characteristics?)

2)  Does the binaural head in Pianoteq have the 'internal blocking' characteristics of a 'real' binaural manikin-head microphone, or is it just the positioning of two mics the way that Philippe described in the linked thread? (If the latter, then that shows me how to change the characteristics of the sound, as I have wished for a 'more airy' mic in the binaural head - If the head's not 'real,' then all I have to do is to use different mics and set them up in the prescribed pattern.)

P.S.  I just tried the mic configuration that Philippe described for the Bluethner as an A-B comparison with a binaural mic, trying omni-perfect, fig 8-perfect, and a few other mics - I can get it close, but can't quite match, so maybe the binaural head does have some left-right internal blocking or some other specialized auditory characteristics.

Last edited by dklein (23-03-2018 09:50)
- David

dklein wrote:

2)  Does the binaural head in Pianoteq have the 'internal blocking' characteristics of a 'real' binaural manikin-head microphone, or is it just the positioning of two mics the way that Philippe described in the linked thread? (If the latter, then that shows me how to change the characteristics of the sound, as I have wished for a 'more airy' mic in the binaural head - If the head's not 'real,' then all I have to do is to use different mics and set them up in the prescribed pattern.)

The binaural head in Pianoteq does modelise a manikin-head microphone, that is, two mics separated by a solid having the shape of a human head. As a consequence, no placement of two microphones will provide exactly the same sound, although it can come close as described in the linked thread.

dklein wrote:

P.S.  I just tried the mic configuration that Philippe described for the Bluethner as an A-B comparison with a binaural mic, trying omni-perfect, fig 8-perfect, and a few other mics - I can get it close, but can't quite match, so maybe the binaural head does have some left-right internal blocking or some other specialized auditory characteristics.

Indeed!

Philippe, is there any way to get an "airier" microphone to use with the manikin head?

- David

dklein wrote:

Philippe, is there any way to get an "airier" microphone to use with the manikin head?

Unfortunately not. But one thing you can try to bring more air is to gently rise the EQU3 effect curve in the 5 kHz to 10 kHz range.

Thank you.  I will do so. 

Though for the next week I will be on the road with earphones, so everything will sound way bright and airy (the Intimate presets seem to do best through earphones, at least compared to all else on my monitor speakers at home).

- David