Topic: New controller - need to remap some keys

I recently bought a used Alesis DM10 e-drumkit and had the idea to use the Pianoteq steel drums using the drum controller.  I bought a new midi cable tonight and most of my inputs work fine, but my snare is out of steel drum range, and I'd like to be able to remap (piano) keys to arrange my kit to the pitches I want and also to change keys (as in signatures).  So, how do I tell pianoteq to make the second lowest D be, for example, an octave higher?  The kit has all dual-zone toms and snare, so I'll have 14 inputs available (15 if I use the kick pedal) between snare, toms and cymbals.

I'm really glad that it mostly just worked, so if any Modartt employees are reading this, thank you!

Re: New controller - need to remap some keys

mekosmowski wrote:

So, how do I tell pianoteq to make the second lowest D be, for example, an octave higher?

If you have a way of sending MIDI CC (Control Change), PC (Program Change), or keyboard note numbers through the MIDI cable to Pianoteq (a small MIDI keyboard or footswitch(es) would work), you can designate one of those MIDI messegas using Pianoteq’s MIDI mapping to transpose all of the MIDI note numbers sent by your drumkit up or down by semitone (half-step) or octave every time that MIDI signal is received, and another MIDI message to do the opposite or to reset the transposition to none, in Options —> MIDI —> MIDI mapping.

This would transpose all of the notes, not just one, so you would need to determine how to get your entire kit within Pianoteq’s steel drum range. If your drumkit triggers/sends the notes in the GM (General MIDI) specification, I believe that transposing it up by 4 or more semitones will place your entire drumkit within Pianoteq’s steel drum range.

Alternatively, and probably easier, you could simply create a custom MIDI map in Pianoteq (by saving the Minimalistic mapping with a custom name, for example) and after selecting the custom MIDI map, use the Notes Transposition entry field at the bottom of the Options —> MIDI pane to associate your desired transposition (+4 semitones, for example) to that particular MIDI map, and then use the MIDI mapping menu to attach that MIDI map to one or all of the steel pan presets.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (21-03-2018 16:16)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq