Topic: CPU load

Hello everyone: First of all I congratulate you for the great job you did with Pianoteq 3.
I am Argentinian, I speak Spanish. Forgive me because I do not speak English very well. I downloaded the demo version from this page, and when I open a midi Pianoteq 3, the CPU load is very high: 70% or 80% and with the sustain pedal: 90%. When I use Pianoteq 3, the CPU does not respond quickly, it becomes slow. I have 512 MB of ram, 2.00 GHz Intel Celeron processor Windows XP with Service Pack 2. I'll be infinitely grateful if you help me solve this problem. Thanks for everything. Greetings.

Re: CPU load

Hi, Cristopher!  Unfortunately, your problem is the entire setup.  (I own an iMac, but I know a fair amount about what does/doesn't work with Windows, whether I like that or not.  ;^)  Changes "across the board" would need to be made to run Pianoteq effectively.

The system (XP SP2) is fine, but your RAM is in desperate need of an upgrade!!!  I would strongly advise _2GB_ for XP.  (6GB or more for Vista, the pig-with-lipstick OS.)

The processor is the _biggest_ problem.  The _speed_, which may sound good, simply doesn't translate to great performance with a Celeron, Intel's definite low-end offering.  The design of the Celeron is a joke when compared to even the ol' Pentium 4, not to mention the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo of more recent vintage.  You're working with a single-core slacker. 

How old is this computer?  A newer model would be your best option -- you could _build_ a pretty cheap PC with far better specs and not "break the bank."  The performance difference is out of this world.

(My iMac, a Core 2 Duo @ 3.06 GHz, barely breaks 40% at peak operation with many notes and continuous sustain.)

"Our developers, who art in Toulouse, hallowed be thy physical-models.
Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

I'd have to agree that your computer really isn't powerful enough however you might be able to use Pianoteq at a low level. First you definately need more RAM 512mb is barely enough for the operating sytem, you have nothing left over for running applications. Second try dropping the sample rate in the performance section in the options panel (button top right of interface) decrease that to 22050Hz or even 14700Hz

You could lower polyphony too, maybe try Auto(pessimistic) or a lower manual value.

A newer more powerful computer is probably the best option though - sorry!

Edit the good news is that I just tried my suggestions on my machine (lowered sample rate to 14700Hz and polyphony to 48) and the load on my cpu dropped to a third of what it normally is, Pianoteq sounded fine too!

The guys said it - you really need a new computer!

Hard work and guts!

You know, I'm apparently so spoiled, I wouldn't have even _thought_ of changing the settings!  ;^)

This is an _excellent_ idea!  (As a stopgap measure, though...)  Until you can get any sort of upgrade, lowering polyphony and sample rate would do much good for you.

This reminds me of my Quicksilver G4, which I used until this iMac was released May, 2008.  (In fact, now that I think of it, I could _honestly_ say that I bought my new computer _solely_ to play Pianoteq!)  The G4 (dual processors at 1.8 GHz, 133 MHz bus, 1.5 GB RAM, OSX 10.5) sounded a _lot_ like yours when I was giving the demo of version 2.2 a whirl, but I loved the program so bloody much -- well, the rest is history.  Thus far, this is the best move I ever made. 

(The difference in bus speed may play a huge role, too.  I cursed when the PowerMac G5 was released:  that bus was like a superhighway by comparison!  At the time, samples were the way to go, sad to say -- no Pianoteq megawondersaurus!)

Thy version 4 come, thy new instruments be done, in the computer as it is in the wood!"

Just to remind. Get a anti-viruz full check-up to your computer.

Hello! thank everyone for the quick response!. I understand that my computer is not the best, but for now, I can not buy another. With Pianoteq 2, I worked quite well without any problem. That hurts! I was eager to buy. Well, anyway, thank you very much everybody. What do you recommend for working with Pianoteq 3? I say this to keep in mind for when I buy a new computer (maybe end of year)
Keep it moving this way with Pianoteq!. If you continue to progress well, version 4 will be perfect! I will assure you.
Greetings. Thanks for the help.

Cristopher wrote:

Hello! thank everyone for the quick response!. I understand that my computer is not the best, but for now, I can not buy another. With Pianoteq 2, I worked quite well without any problem. That hurts! I was eager to buy. Well, anyway, thank you very much everybody. What do you recommend for working with Pianoteq 3? I say this to keep in mind for when I buy a new computer (maybe end of year)
Keep it moving this way with Pianoteq!. If you continue to progress well, version 4 will be perfect! I will assure you.
Greetings. Thanks for the help.

I'm not a computer guru, but this is interesting.  I was getting a few pops and clicks with Pianoteq 2.3 on my computer (a dual core), but don't have the same problem with Pianoteq 3.0.

I concluded that PT 3.0 was more efficient code than 2.3.

I'm using PT as stand alone running with ASIO (that is native to the soundcard).

The audio buffer size on my soundcard is set to 136 samples, the latency is 3.1 ms, and I have polyphony set to 96 in PT.

However last night I discovered that some pianos do cause clicks while others do not.

For example "C3 Solo Recording" is a nightmare of clicks when playing a busy part of Chopin's Op27 No1 - it sounds like static on a crappy radio.  On the same passage, with C2 Chamber there are no clicks at all.  C3 Player clicks a bit.

Glenn

My Athlon clains to be like a Pentiun of 3ghz in performance, but if I set latency to less than 11ms I get pops and cracks.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-03-2009 18:41)

Athlon CPUs are, unfortunately, still playing catch-up ever since Intel introduced the Core 2 Duo.  Only the latest (the Phenom II or whatever...) would give the cream of the Core 2 line a run for its money.  (Core i7, on the other hand, has them beat pretty soundly, I think.)

Athlon _had_ all the potential to surge ahead of Intel several years ago, but they blew it, big-time. 

(Advertising CPUs with silver dragons and such is just a bit laughable now, unless it's a graphics card.  %^)

The road-map for Intel is _extremely_ impressive.  Speculation is speculation, but I'm excited, especially for apps like Pianoteq!

Any thoughts on processor preferences/expectations from our good hosts (e.g., Julien)?

Not only for pianoteq, but also for WMV HD 1020 resultion, my Athlon do not performe as one would expect for a 3ghz Pentiun.

Beto-Music wrote:

...as one would expect for a 3ghz Pentium.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AMD's "plus" markings DO NOT compare to Intel's processors, but to older AMD single-cores. So, a 6000+ Phenom (for example) would be as fast as old AMD single-core clocked at 6 GHz, while Phenom is, for example, 2.4.

Hard work and guts!

My Athlon it's a older, single processor, but it was often compared to a 3ghz pentiun.

Last edited by Beto-Music (12-03-2009 00:48)

If you can find _any_ Intel or Athlon CPU clocked at 6 GHz, then we'd better check the space-time fabric for holes to the future!  %^)

Seriously, I always had to laugh at AMD's marketing.  If they thought that they were fooling _anyone_ with their "numbers" (as if 6000+ translated to _actual_ 6 GHz speed with two 3 GHz cores), well, hahahaha!

Sorry to drift so off-topic.  ;-)

As I said, I think that this is the way AMD is naming their CPUs for a while now, comparing it to old, old single-core Athlons (can't remember which core, but probably the ones which were heating the most )

And oh, I think there ARE some overclocked CPUs running at close to 6 GHz

God bless liquid nitrogen cooling!

Last edited by EvilDragon (12-03-2009 01:30)
Hard work and guts!

Overclocked to 6?!?!   Goodness gracious!!!!!

I wonder what their lifespan happens to be...  ;^)

That could do wonders for Pianoteq!  (And cook a rub-roast, probably, if not for the liquid nitrogen. %^)

Last edited by dhalfen (12-03-2009 17:36)

Some people find that ptq 3 is more cpu hungry than Pianoteq 2, and other people feel that is less cpu hungry. In fact everybody is right ! The cpu cost of Pianoteq 3 is less dependant on the polyphony, so people with a fast cpu feel it is faster. But the base constant cpu cost is higher. On a fast Core 2 cpu, this constant cost may represent 10% or less. But on a slow G4 cpu it may represent 80% !

Another factor is that for pianoteq 2, all instruments had almost the same cpu cost, which is no more true with Pianoteq 3, for ex. "C3 Solo Recording" is probably 3 or 4 times more demanding than "R1 basic".

Regarding the recommanded configuration , I think any currently selling CPU will be fine: any Core 2, Phenom, etc. Of course you can also buy a Nehalem if you want to run ten instances of pianoteq simultaneously

YES, Julien, you have said _exactly_ what I wanted to know regarding the Nehalem.  8^)

I did notice the "base difference" between the 2.3 and 3.0 versions, as well as the differences between the C3s and the electrics.  I tend to use the C3 "Worn Out" (with a few tweaks), and my base CPU cost hovers around 9-11%. 

The G4s are dinosaurs -- they're just not fossilized yet!

Hello, thank you very much everybody for the answers!.
Obviously, I need a new computer. do you think a computer with 6 GB of RAM and Intel Core i7 processor is enough?. I think it would be perfect. I buy that. I use Pianoteq as VST with Sibelius. I want to optimize PIanoteq 3 because it is an excellent piano VST and I think a computer with the features I mentioned before, work great. What do you think? What operating system do you recommend?
Thanks for everything. Greetings.

Last edited by Cristopher (12-03-2009 23:59)

Hello again, Cristopher! 

With the Core i7, you would be in _excellent_ shape!  (They _are_ the Nehalems, after all!  That's _very_ good!)  By all means, gobble one up!  Try to get a fairly _fast_ i7 (2.5 or above!).  The 6GB would be fine, though 8GB never hurt (especially with Vista).  I do the _exact_ same thing as you with Sibelius, too!  (I'm _sooo_ happy that Sibelius accepts plug-ins now.)

Better wait Windows 7 at the end of the year. Much better than current Vista in every regard.

Hard work and guts!

_Only_ if he can wait that long (and assuming Microsoft actually pushes the "official" Windows 7 out into the world by then) -- IMHumO, get Vista now (or XP, but only if you don't pay any additional cost for that "luxury") and upgrade a little while _after_ 7 has been released.  (You just _know_ it shall still need a service pack or two to work out some pesky kinks... %^) 

He can at least _enjoy_ Pianoteq in the meantime.  ;-)

Oh, yeah, the Core i7s seem to _start_ at 2.66GHz -- go for the highest you can get!

You like underscores, don't you?

Well, XP is rather standard now (Vista failed at becoming a new standard OS, that's why M$ is pushing W7 so fast out). W7 is basically an optimized Vista with some new twists. It behaves very much like XP resource-wise, at least on my PC it has been that way, so I'm thinking that when W7 comes out, there will be little need for service packs. I think M$ is gonna do their job nicely this time.

Hard work and guts!

I certainly hope so!  I would _love_ to have a more "modern" Windows system that's not a heaping pile of crap waitin' to happen!  (I.e., Vista, though I manage to keep it behaving on a few friends' laptops.  ;^)

I read that Windows 7 is _essentially_ what Vista _should_ have been.  So it's not really Windows "7," but "6.1" -- haha!!

Yes, I _like_ underscores.  Love 'em, in fact!  (They're just for emphasis, not shouting.  ;^)  This results from the time when I used emacs for my email.  Back in the freakin' dark-age '90s.  (Wow, we've come a long way...)

Hello. So it was a "lie" of the FAQ's (with all due respect I say). That said it only needed 256 MB of ram and now I need thousands of MB and the best processor in the world. TIP: When making known Pianoteq 4, tell your requirements that are needed in reality, not exaggerate.
Well, then, Is it so? Operating system: Windows 7, RAM: 8 GB Processor: Intel Core i7. If you have something to contribute, this will be welcome.
Thank you all. Greetings.

Last edited by Cristopher (16-03-2009 07:29)

Cristopher wrote:

Hello. So it was a "lie" of the FAQ's (with all due respect I say). That said it only needed 256 MB of ram and now I need thousands of MB and the best processor in the world. TIP: When making known Pianoteq 4, tell your requirements that are needed in reality, not exaggerate.
Well, then, Is it so? Operating system: Windows 7, RAM: 8 GB Processor: Intel Core i7. If you have something to contribute, this will be welcome.
Thank you all. Greetings.

Well, they aren't that far off. Pianoteq can indeed take a hundred MB of RAM on its own. You have to account in the RAM that's used by other programs running and OS, so in reality you get to a normal figure of 1 GB.

You can run PTQ3 on a 2 GHz dualcore CPU with 1 GB of RAM with 192 poly no problem, I have that configuration and it works flawlessly.

Hard work and guts!

Christopher, 256 MB is enough for loading Pianoteq in Windows XP, so the FAQ is not wrong on that point ! And the CPU requirements stated in the FAQ are also correct, pianoteq runs fine on any core 2 duo cpu or any similar processor.

julien wrote:

Christopher, 256 MB is enough for loading Pianoteq in Windows XP, so the FAQ is not wrong on that point ! And the CPU requirements stated in the FAQ are also correct, pianoteq runs fine on any core 2 duo cpu or any similar processor.

Well, I have 512 MB. If you say that 256 MB is enough, I do not need to upgrade the RAM <dhalfen> said. I just need to switch processor. I'm going to change the processor of my computer and tell you, if I do better or worse with Pianoteq 3. With Pianoteq 2 I had no conflicts. Thanks for clarifying. Greetings.

Nonetheless you should have AT LEAST 1 GB of RAM to improve system performance, especially to give more space for Windows, as well as other applications.

A dualcore CPU is an affordable way to go - however, if you have an older motherboard, you will have to change it too, to accomodate the new CPU (different chipsets).

Hard work and guts!

Agreed, I wouldn't run any modern operating sytem with less than a gig of RAM.

Before investing in major hardware upgrades. Change the sample rate and the polyphony to a lower setting. This might help. Found in Options/Perf (located right on the Pianoteq logo on the software interface near help button).

Last edited by DonSmith (19-03-2009 18:12)

EvilDragon wrote:

Nonetheless you should have AT LEAST 1 GB of RAM to improve system performance, especially to give more space for Windows, as well as other applications.

A dualcore CPU is an affordable way to go - however, if you have an older motherboard, you will have to change it too, to accomodate the new CPU (different chipsets).

Agreed.
I have just discovered something very interesting: When I use Pianoteq only (no other application running) the CPU does not become slow! But the CPU load remains the same: 70%, 80% (90% pedal length)
From now on, I will run Pianoteq without other applications running because if not, the CPU becomes slow.

Topic solved! Thank you all.

Hi,

I was suffering from a similar problem when I had a dual core athlon system running Pianoteq. Although the whole system was quite powerful I found the Megahertz and Performance rating surprisingly low (around 7).
I found that my Windows was set to a "cool and quiet (or so)" energy saving mode. I was explained that it's ok to leave it like that for most cases.

But Pianoteq seems to need processing power instantly and not after the system allocates it some processing time.

Long story short: I switched to "desktop mode" in energy savings menu - et voila: PQ system Megahertz Counting doubled, performance index doubled, gone were those nasty clicks.

Hope this helps...

I found it incredible to notice that after I got my latest quad-core Phenom processor not only the performance figures sky-rocketed but also enabled me to set buffer size nicely low resulting in an ultra-crisp sound response.

I love it!

Cheers,
toothfairy

I'm using Always on power scheme, with nothing turning off after certain time. You just don't need any of those options on a desktop computer.

Hard work and guts!

Hi to all,
I apoligize for my very bad english,
I'm planning to change my old P4 notebok (Fujitsu siemens - amilo) to accomodate my new needs in live performance...

I'm thinking about a new Mac book pro.. I suppose ther is not great problem running PT 3 in this platform, but due to the fact that I usually play various different sounds combined during a performance, I'd like to ask to experienced people like those in this forum, If I 'll encounter big problems in a particular situation..

My goal is to run on the mentioned mac, thru "parallel desktop" an istance of window xp with native instruments KORE, that run inside PT3 plus almost another 1 or 2 plug-ins like B3 and kontakt..

Now, I know that Physical modelling programs "eats" a lot of cpu power than sample based plug-ins that needs in RAM quantity.

So I wonder if someone have some experience in this situation.. and may say to me some ideas about...

Sorry if I don't explain well my concept but I'm not familiar with english...

All the best..

Antonio.

You should be fine with a Macbook pro. Get at least 2 GB of RAM on it and all is gonna work right.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

You should be fine with a Macbook pro. Get at least 2 GB of RAM on it and all is gonna work right.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Now I have to find some "cents" for buy the mac

I' think to buy a mac Book pro 17" with full ram option an higher CPU but it is very expensive for me so I've to wait some time....

Anyone knows how cpu power i'll need to run for example PT3 and Wivi or Syinful togheter???  (a dream for me!!)

ciao
Antonio

You should be fine even with a PC laptop. Just get the fastest dualcore CPU with 4 GB of RAM and you'll be great.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

You should be fine even with a PC laptop. Just get the fastest dualcore CPU with 4 GB of RAM and you'll be great.

PC is also less expensive.. but I think are all equipped with vista.. I really don't like it!!

I was considering as alternative to make my own a Daw buying separate spare of hardware and putting all in a rack case... with Xp.. umhh?? what about this idea??

(sorry again for my english...)

I do not recommend at all you using a Macbook Pro "with Parallels".  That is about the worst possible solution you could ever do.  Trust me, I own a Macbook Pro and I own Parallels.

If you're going to use a Macbook Pro, get a copy of Windows XP and load it natively with Bootcamp.  It will work absolutely perfect and also give you complete full access to the full fledge drivers.  Not some junk ass cool virtual window.  I don't care if they (Parallels) claim it will work, it's not a good idea and you will not get as good of results as you would in a native bootcamp build of Windows XP.

I am using a 2.5 year old Macbook Pro with 2GB of RAM and Pianoteq works smooth as butter.  You should easily get Pianoteq and quite a few other instruments to play back in real time.  I do it now with Pianoteq and VSL instruments.

But, if you're going to stay running in a Windows platform, save your money and buy a Windows laptop, it will cost you 1 millionth of the cost of a Macbook Pro and get you the same results.  They are way over priced in todays economy.  Software updates to fast and the power requirements raise with it.  My 2.5 year old Macmook Pro is already way to underpowered to do all the things I need it to do thanks to all the software updates Vienna and Kontakt do (as well as MAC OS X).  So to me I spent almost 5,000.00 american dollars only to be over powered in 2 years.  I won't make that mistake again.

If I didn't use Logic, I would never buy another MAC again.  I can beat their performance of a MAC Pro for literally 1/5th of the cost.  There are also other ways to run OS X which I will not get into here.

Maestro2be

Wow!! Maestro2be,
many thanks for the valuable information that you have suggested to me.
I have always heard of the Mac as a tool highly professional and reliable and I was directed to that choice, but the words that you said to me make me throw everything in the game ...
I'm perfectly unaware of the Mac's world and I don't know what the differences between "parallel desktop" and "bootcamp" .
if really go for the pc i could save a lot on my poor Budgett! I have to take the necessary time to make a choice.
If someone knows..  could someone kindly tell me if there is a laptop with a good performance, possibly equipped with a firewire port 800 with texas instruments chipset because of compatibility required by the sound card? (Motu traveler)

Excuse me again for the trouble but I have arrived at this crossroads and can not decide what to do ...

sorry also if my translation is not correct, but not knowing English well, I'm supporting the translator of google ..

Thanks a lot for all your help, you are wonderful and extremely competent people.

All the best
Antonio

No problem.

The difference between Parallels and Bootcamp is this.  With Parallels, you are running OS X, and then start an application called Parallels.  It then opens up a virtual window and launches Windows XP or Vista depending on which you chose to install.  This means, you are a using a software application, running inside of OS X.  OS X is simply "loaning" you resources to borrow for the time being.

In Bootcamp, you literally have Windows XP installed to the hard drive and instead of booting into OS X, you literally boot into windows exactly the same way you would on a Dell or HP (or any other brand you want to name).  So it's literally a full fledged Windows operating system, installed on MAC's HARDWARE.  Funny how they let you install Windows on their machines, but puke at the idea of letting you install OS X on anything but a MAC.  Anyway.

Mac's are good for people who have zero knowledge of hardware and how to build a stable computer with name brand parts.  For people who have no idea how to snap a few pieces of hardware together and screw a few bolts down.  They may seem a little more stable, but that is because they run exactly the same hardware, over and over and over again all over the world.  A new mac pro is a new mac pro.  The only things that change are slight variables, that with the most minimal amount of knowledge a 4 year old kid could do on a PC (hard drive, memory etc).  That has it's advantages, but at a very high cost.

Another advantage is that the manufacturer's only have to write one driver for one OS.  Also let's face it, some people just don't want to fuss with all the building of a computer of their own and so then, a MAC is good for those people.

Most people also cannot get off the "cigar club" idea of owning a MAC.  Their is an asthetic addiction that people buy into as well.  Plus face it, most people will believe anything they hear without figuring it out for themselves to see how ridiculous the idea is.

Again, if you want a great computer, that looks awesome and will run good too but is significantly more expensive, and almost 100% non-upgradeable then a MAC is for you.  I love my MAC, but I won't say I love it more then my Windows machines because I would be telling a lie.  I expect my machine to do for me what I tell it to.  I can get ANY Windows machine to do that just as good as any MAC.  And actually, I can build a machine that will spank a ten thousand dollar MAC Pro for under $2500.00.

Sorry, I am not to up to par on the latest laptops so I can't help you decide on that one.  But trust me that when you say the word "budget", MAC is not in your range (unless you're a millionaire and to you "budget" is not an actual issue).

Maestro2be

Last edited by maestro2be (23-04-2009 22:08)

Maestro2be,

Thanks again for your wonderful expertise and availability.

I think at this point to stop a moment to meditate on what to do.

Since it is a long time that do not follow the evolution of hardware laptop, I'll spend a little of my time to upgrade to what is now  the market offering, so as to derive a more considered decision.

Unfortunately for me I am not a millionaire ... if I were, at this point, for incertitude, I could take both types of computers! )))

So, if in the meantime I did not win the lottery, ... I'll try to find a fair compromise ...

in the meantime hope you all have fun with our wonderful Pianoteq! W MODARTT!

Ciao a tutti!!!!

Antonio

maestro2be wrote:

Funny how they let you install Windows on their machines, but puke at the idea of letting you install OS X on anything but a MAC.

But you can I have a friend who installed OSX on his quadcore PC machine. The stuff FLIES. OSX is simply better optimized OS.

Not that I wanna change to it... yet.

Hard work and guts!