Topic: firewire vs usb

for my next setup i'm considering doing a 1m square quadriphonic arrangement driven by a firewire interface, but i'm wondering if firewire is indeed the best route to go...?  does anyone have experience running Pianoteq on firewire vs usb? 
thanks in advance!
dj

Matthieu 7:6

Re: firewire vs usb

Firewire is getting old... RME+USB and off you go.

Hard work and guts!

thanks ED!
not sure if that saves me money or not...

RME stuff is worth a bit of coin, but their drivers are the best in business.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

RME stuff is worth a bit of coin, but their drivers are the best in business.

just wish they did a 4x4.  12x12 is a little overkill for my purposes... but i'm sure, as you say, the drivers et al make it worth it.

Yeah Babyface Pro is the smallest interface they do, but even then, 8x8 from there is over ADAT, and 2x2 from SPDIF. You get 4x4 analog I/O.

Last edited by EvilDragon (17-03-2018 12:13)
Hard work and guts!

On a tower pc don't use a graphic card N'Vidia for have less latency.

RME or not, just stay away from Firewire - it is officially dead. No support for it from OS and hardware developers. Unless you have a great bargain or get it for free. Or if you have all around obsolete but stable working setup.

Agreed about Firewire's obsolescence.  A year ago, when I replaced my previously 10 year old MacPro with an updated one, there were zero firewire connection capability to the new computer, yet my aging Apogee Duet (old version) was Firewire-400 only.  What to do?  I went online and found a Firewire-to-USB plug adapter, and for less than about $10USD, I plugged in my Firewire-based Apogee Duet digital audio interface into my USB-only MacPro.  It has worked flawlessly, but I still attest to Firewire being a technology of past years.  If I had any complaints at all, it would be that the FW-to-USB adapter sticks out a few inches from the back of my 'puter and makes the wiring look rather delicate.

Cheers,

Joe

thanks for the helpful advice, all!

i had the impression (similarly obsolete, it would seem) that firewire offered superior performance to usb and was the industry-preferred solution...

for instance:

also, i use a dedicated and stripped-down-to-essentials micro-atx box to run pianoteq which, as with most mobos, has no onboard firewire port, but the addition of one with a pcie card is a trivial matter and one which i would have thought (again, apparently erroneously) should offer better bandwidth to that of usb...?  and, while the performance/stability gains (as the quoted section goes on to mention) seem to be mostly apparent only when talking about large numbers of simulatneous i/o, i'd like to think that even a modicum of improvement over usb would be worth it (and a 4x4 firewire setup is less expensive than going with RME Babyface Pro! )...

however, as the consensus here seems to be that the RME is the superior option available, i'll bow to collective experiental wisdom and make it a part of the plan! 

cheers,
dj

Last edited by _DJ_ (17-03-2018 23:00)

If you're not running something like 32 ins and outs (or more than that), you don't need anything more than USB 2.0.

Hard work and guts!

And when you do 32 in + 32 out with USB is not a problem with my Behringer X32 for instance... ;-) OK, no MIDI ! :-)

...and if you need more than 32 then here is USB 3 for you.