Topic: Just purchased Pianoteq and have issues - no sustain when key held

Hello all,

I just purchased Pianoteq Stage and am having issues. Every time I play a note, all I get is the attack. If I hold the key down, there is only the attack, but no sustain. If I use the sustain pedal, it will sustain as it should. I am using this through Bitwig on an SL88 Grand midi controller. Has anyone run into this issue? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks for any help!

Re: Just purchased Pianoteq and have issues - no sustain when key held

Does the same happen in Pianoteq standalone?

Hard work and guts!

Could it be that the SL88 immediatly sends a note off message? If you go to Preferences -> MIDI, Pianoteq shows you all MIDI events received. Very helpful for debugging.

So Pianoteq works perfectly fine as a standalone. The problem only exists when i open it up in Bitwig. Attached is an example of the MIDI data that I see in Bitwig, though I'm not entirely sure how to interpret it.

https://imgur.com/a/r7BAr

wushuguy wrote:

So Pianoteq works perfectly fine as a standalone. The problem only exists when i open it up in Bitwig. Attached is an example of the MIDI data that I see in Bitwig, though I'm not entirely sure how to interpret it.

For some reason you get three note on/off/on events at the same time (see the leftmost column), all with the same velocity, which I interpret in so far that they all come from the same original MIDI event. The SL88 also has note off velocity (which BTW Pianoteq also uses), so the note off events about a second later probably are when you really released the key.

As those are the MIDI events coming into Pianoteq I'd look into Bitwig or the MIDI driver setup.

Last edited by eriks (14-03-2018 13:15)

I think Bitwig might be confused by the triple sensor action of the SL88 Grand, perhaps?

Hard work and guts!

This leaves me in the unfortunate situation of not knowing how to proceed. I've posted this in the Bitwig KVR forum as well, but haven't received any advice yet. I guess trying to get in touch with the guys at Bitwig would be the next logical step? Is there anything else I can do?

eriks wrote:
wushuguy wrote:

For some reason you get three note on/off/on events at the same time (see the leftmost column), all with the same velocity, which I interpret in so far that they all come from the same original MIDI event. The SL88 also has note off velocity (which BTW Pianoteq also uses), so the note off events about a second later probably are when you really released the key.

As those are the MIDI events coming into Pianoteq I'd look into Bitwig or the MIDI driver setup.

I unfortunately do not know very much about MIDI. Is this something that I should be able to change in my SL88?

Can you try a different DAW?

Hard work and guts!

wushuguy wrote:

So you're writing that Pianoteq works perfectly fine as a standalone. That means if you look into the MIDI monitor when running standalone you don't see the doubled MIDI events?

I just googled for "bitwig doubled midi notes" and found someone having a problem with multiple zones set up on his keyboard, could this be a problem?

I suggest that you ask in the Bitwig support community, though.

eriks wrote:
wushuguy wrote:

So you're writing that Pianoteq works perfectly fine as a standalone. That means if you look into the MIDI monitor when running standalone you don't see the doubled MIDI events?

I just googled for "bitwig doubled midi notes" and found someone having a problem with multiple zones set up on his keyboard, could this be a problem?

I suggest that you ask in the Bitwig support community, though.

This is totally what the problem was. My midi controller had 4 zones set up, but they were all the same keys (each zone was exactly the same). I turned 3 of the zones off, and viola, issue resolved. Thank you!!!