Topic: M Audio Hammer 88 with Pianoteq

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here tried the M Audio HA88 with Pianoteq? I currently use my Nord Stage 2 ex as a controller but I'm considering selling it as I'm enjoying pianoteq more and it seems a little crazy to use such an expensive keyboard as a controller. Initially I bought the Nord to use the onboard sounds in the studio and they are fanstastic but I'm just finding that pianoteq is superior. I do think the Nord has probably the best piano sounds of any hardware keyboard and hold their own with even some of the biggest sample libraries but pianoteq is on another level of realistic feel and just seems more alive. Would be great if anyone could give a little feedback on the M Audio. Cheers

Re: M Audio Hammer 88 with Pianoteq

M-Audio's keybeds are not good IMHO.

At least get a Casio PX5-S.

Hard work and guts!

if you sell your North Stage you have enough money to buy a Kawai VPC1

...or even a RD-2000

Hard work and guts!

Generally speaking, I would approach M-audio with caution. I've dealt with a fair bit of their gear over the years and swore off the brand entirely under their Avid ownership, so I've not had any experience since it was again sold. From what I can tell, it remains a decidedly entry-level lineup and thus might be a little bit of culture shock coming from your Nord.

You'd be giving up:

• graded action (think I remember my old NS1 being the graded version of the TP40 action)
• Note-off velocity (Pianoteq is one of the few VIs where this matters)
• Aftertouch (if that matters)
• Response adjustment of any kind (no soft/medium/hard I remember Nord offering)
• metal enclosure (appears the M-Audio uses an MDF base; fairly common)

This is about where someone chimes in a says "go play it for yourself" which is always a good idea if possible... and indeed I haven't had hands on a Hammer 88 to offer any comment. I do recall the last 88 of theirs I played being oversensitive enough to require a distractingly soft touch, which would concern me, given the apparent lack of adjustability.  If you are interested enough to give it a shot, I see Amazon currently has a 20% coupon for Prime members, making it a fairly minimal risk.

I'll add that, in a very similar situation, I was able to pass my heavily-discounted Stage 88 on to a friend and grab a triple sensor Studiologic Sl88 with a few hundred dollars left in my pocket. I'd call it a noticeable keybed upgrade (see the recent thread for details) and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I would look elsewhere.

SteveO

Cheers guys, yes I thought the M-audio would likely be a considerable step down. I had some hope as it's a relatively new product and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it. I've noticed that M-audio keyboards of the past don't seem to have a very good reputation but I thought this new one looked quite promising for the money. However, the lack of note-off velocity is a deal breaker. Thanks for pointing that out. From what I've heard the Nord Stage 2 isn't considered to have a particularly great piano action and is more of a jack of all trades keybed that works well for EP's and Synth sounds etc, so I am hoping I can pick up something that is subjectively better as far as piano action is concerned.

I've played the Roland RD2000 and the Kawai MP10 which I believe is similar to the vpc1. Both were excellent and had much better piano actions than the Nord imo, though neither are an option as I hope to spend £600 or less. I also need the keyboard to be portable for live use and the Kawai is a beast. It seems my best options are the Casio Px5s, Roland A88 and Studiologic sl88 grand. The studiologic is out of my price range but I found a b-stock sl88 grand selling for £599. Unfortunately I can't buy it until the Nord is sold so it'll likely be gone by then.

How does the Roland A88 compare to the Nord action? Does it have note-off velocity?

Do Casio PX-5S sends note-off dynamic velocity data? Otherwise as a Pianoteq controller it is identical to their more than twice cheaper PX-160. In my opinion it is very likely to be the best controller keyboard for <£600.

Last edited by AKM (11-03-2018 16:05)

Yes, PX-5S does send note off IIRC. PX-160 has speakers which are probably not necessary if it's gonna be used as a pure MIDI controller... PX-5S is better for that.

Last edited by EvilDragon (11-03-2018 16:55)
Hard work and guts!

Regarding PX-5S there are tons of stuff to be payed for, that is definitely not necessary from a Pianoteq controller perspective. So, double the price for the note off velocity? Maybe worth it for someone, IDK, not for me. Sure would prefer the one without speakers and internal sounds, so even less expensive, but it is nonexistent. Still having a built-in speakers could be considered as a plus for some back-up case usage. Also not a fan of PX-5S looks.

Last edited by AKM (11-03-2018 18:09)

PX-5S is also a better MIDI controller than PX-160, because it actually has some controllers on it: sliders, knobs, pitch bend, modwheel... this stuff can be neat with some Pianoteq instruments (i.e. pitch bend for the Clavinet, etc.), also the sliders could be assigned to some Pianoteq parameters and you could change them on the fly, etc. Very flexible and definitely worth the additional price over PX-160. It is also lighter than PX-160.

Last edited by EvilDragon (11-03-2018 19:07)
Hard work and guts!

Yes I noticed the px-160 doesn't have pitch bend etc which rules it out for my needs. It seems the only one with all the necessary features and a better keybed than the Nord is the SL88 grand so I guess I'll just have to spend the extra.

Without even trying out the PX-5S? (BTW Nord is using Fatar TP40 keybed, which is also what you'll find in SL88 Grand, the only difference is that SL88 Grand has triple sensors and is graded, which is also what you'll find in PX-5S, and that it has a plastic-wood sandwich keys, instead of plastic only).

Last edited by EvilDragon (11-03-2018 21:27)
Hard work and guts!

PX-160 vs. PX-5S

LOL, I can and will continue this little debate. Just checked the prices. It's more like € 550 vs. € 800 in Europe, so not twice, to be exact (another prices for US seems). Still € 250 difference can get you a decent hi-end MIDI controller to control Pianoteq like, say, MIDI Fighter Twister (with 16 endless rotary encoders). I doubt many piano players really need such functionality, although it is good for all-around arranger folks. Next, the weight - it is a -pro for some, -con for others. For a DP controller more weight = better, more stability. Also PX-160 is compatible with a special made Casio stand (CS-65) which is a tremendous improvement and a 'must have' for serious piano players (there is a chance it is also compatible with PX-5S, although I could not find the answer, more like 'no' than 'yes'). My vote is definitely for PX-160 over PX-5S.

I would suggest, that if you are more a piano player, don't like to tweak a lot, just sit down and play - PX-160 is great for you.
For those who maybe need extra sounds onboard, arranger(?), light weight, batteries operation, who is more into all around PC composition/arrangement/synth stuff, need extra MIDI controls - get yourself a PX-5S.

Last edited by AKM (11-03-2018 21:40)

The guy already said that having no pitch bend rules it out for him

Last edited by EvilDragon (11-03-2018 21:52)
Hard work and guts!

No, it's between us two!

@miraclesleeper
Would definitely recommend to check PX-5S.

Well, lack of controllers and superfluous speakers would rule out PX-160 for me, too.

But nevermind that, I'm getting an RD-2000 anyways, one of these days.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

(BTW Nord is using Fatar TP40 keybed, which is also what you'll find in SL88 Grand, the only difference is that SL88 Grand has triple sensors and is graded, .

Attention, Fatar has two keybeds:
TP/40
TP/40Wood

the SL88Grand uses the TP40/wood for example.
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40WOOD.htm

What has been told to me by a Thomann employee is that the SL88 and the SL88 Grand,
TP/40 vs. TP/40Wood, have not the same feel. He encouraged me to get the SL88Grand vs. the cheaper one. Good choice !
But that was two years back. this all can change. you never know.

for a good keybed would i not go cheaper than the SL88Grand.
Studiologic is Fatars own brand, and studiologic in the whole is allready a "cheap" brand, in several understandings of the term.
Going cheaper with even one more middleman inbetween can´t work out really well me thinks.

Nowhere stocks Casio or Studiologic over here so I can't try them unfortunately. The SL88 grand is probably the safest choice as I already like the Nord action and it should be similar or hopefully better with the graded action and triple sensors.

Funky40 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

(BTW Nord is using Fatar TP40 keybed, which is also what you'll find in SL88 Grand, the only difference is that SL88 Grand has triple sensors and is graded, .

Attention, Fatar has two keybeds:
TP/40
TP/40Wood

the SL88Grand uses the TP40/wood for example.
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40WOOD.htm

What has been told to me by a Thomann employee is that the SL88 and the SL88 Grand,
TP/40 vs. TP/40Wood, have not the same feel. He encouraged me to get the SL88Grand vs. the cheaper one. Good choice !
But that was two years back. this all can change. you never know..

Mechanics of those two actions are identical. The only difference is that TP40Wood has plastic+wood sandwich keys, giving them a bit different feel, plus fake ivory keycaps...

Hard work and guts!

DefaultIT wrote:

Generally speaking, I would approach M-audio with caution. I've dealt with a fair bit of their gear over the years and swore off the brand entirely under their Avid ownership, so I've not had any experience since it was again sold. From what I can tell, it remains a decidedly entry-level lineup and thus might be a little bit of culture shock coming from your Nord.

You'd be giving up:

• graded action (think I remember my old NS1 being the graded version of the TP40 action)
• Note-off velocity (Pianoteq is one of the few VIs where this matters)
• Aftertouch (if that matters)
• Response adjustment of any kind (no soft/medium/hard I remember Nord offering)
• metal enclosure (appears the M-Audio uses an MDF base; fairly common)

This is about where someone chimes in a says "go play it for yourself" which is always a good idea if possible... and indeed I haven't had hands on a Hammer 88 to offer any comment. I do recall the last 88 of theirs I played being oversensitive enough to require a distractingly soft touch, which would concern me, given the apparent lack of adjustability.  If you are interested enough to give it a shot, I see Amazon currently has a 20% coupon for Prime members, making it a fairly minimal risk.

I'll add that, in a very similar situation, I was able to pass my heavily-discounted Stage 88 on to a friend and grab a triple sensor Studiologic Sl88 with a few hundred dollars left in my pocket. I'd call it a noticeable keybed upgrade (see the recent thread for details) and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hello, are you sure the M-Audio Hammer 88 don't send note-off velocity?
I searched very deeply, and this is the only place in the internet saying it doesn't send note-off velocity.
I didn't find anywhere that it is said that the M-Audio Hammer 88 *does* send note-off velocity as well.

hag01 wrote:

Hello, are you sure the M-Audio Hammer 88 don't send note-off velocity?
I searched very deeply, and this is the only place in the internet saying it doesn't send note-off velocity.
I didn't find anywhere that it is said that the M-Audio Hammer 88 *does* send note-off velocity as well.

I remember Sweetwater said it does send variable note-off velocity and continuous pedal from the expression port.

You can call them to double check.

I am far from professional piano player, but I am software developer owning M-Audio Hammer 88, just checked in the logs - my keyboard sends note-off velocity.

Only thing I do not like and finding strange in piano vs real piano is that on real piano I can 'replay' the note way more easily.

I.e. press Do, then press Do again, question is how high you need to lift finger. In real piano i recall i need to lift it just a bit to produce a sound. Here unless you lift key half-way nothing would be detected. That is moderately annoying. If anyone could tell me if all midi keyboard like this or just this one - I'll be very happy to know.

Thank you, this is a very useful information.

gena2x wrote:

I am far from professional piano player, but I am software developer owning M-Audio Hammer 88, just checked in the logs - my keyboard sends note-off velocity.

Only thing I do not like and finding strange in piano vs real piano is that on real piano I can 'replay' the note way more easily.

I.e. press Do, then press Do again, question is how high you need to lift finger. In real piano i recall i need to lift it just a bit to produce a sound. Here unless you lift key half-way nothing would be detected. That is moderately annoying. If anyone could tell me if all midi keyboard like this or just this one - I'll be very happy to know.

That's a double sensor keyboard. Triple sensor keyboard models are meant to improve that. However I suspect this can only be a marginal improvement in modest cost models, owing to mechanical limitations of the key mechanisms themselves.
So you want the bigger, more expensive digital pianos with their tighter tolerance components, longer more sophisticated key mechanisms, not budget parts squeezed into smaller, lower cost keyboards.
I'm not sure it's in the manufacturers self interest to come up with a clever engineering solution for this in their lower cost models anyway, being cynical.

Key Fumbler wrote:
gena2x wrote:

That's a double sensor keyboard. Triple sensor keyboard models are meant to improve that. However I suspect this can only be a marginal improvement in modest cost models, owing to mechanical limitations of the key mechanisms themselves.
So you want the bigger, more expensive digital pianos with their tighter tolerance components, longer more sophisticated key mechanisms, not budget parts squeezed into smaller, lower cost keyboards.
I'm not sure it's in the manufacturers self interest to come up with a clever engineering solution for this in their lower cost models anyway, being cynical.

I can tell you that at least at my experience, there's no much of a difference between two sensor and tri sensor keyboards in that aspect.

By the way, anyone can tell if the M-Audio Hammer 88 accept continuous sustain pedal?

Hello.  I have an M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro.  It appears not to send any note-off velocity.  The keys are on the sluggish side; it's hard to play fast passages.

I'll try to get a better one, with note-off, and keys of reasonably comparable quality to a Steinway grand.  What is the price range, if such a controller exists?

Last edited by Lycomedes (05-05-2022 17:05)

Lycomedes wrote:

Hello.  I have an M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro.  It appears not to send any note-off velocity.  The keys are on the sluggish side; it's hard to play fast passages.

I'll try to get a better one, with note-off, and keys of reasonably comparable quality to a Steinway grand.  What is the price range, if such a controller exists?

What are you looking at when you judge that "It appears not to send any note-off velocity"? 

It's not possible to send a midi note off message that has no velocity value; when people say a keyboard doesn't send note off velocity what they really mean is that it always sends the same value for note-off velocity, e.g., 127, or 64, or 0.

hesitz wrote:
Lycomedes wrote:

What are you looking at when you judge that "It appears not to send any note-off velocity"? 

It's not possible to send a midi note off message that has no velocity value; when people say a keyboard doesn't send note off velocity what they really mean is that it always sends the same value for note-off velocity, e.g., 127, or 64, or 0.

Yes, it always sends 64 note-off.  I don't know if it actually supposed to support variance in the note-off values.  It's supposed to send aftertouch data, but it doesn't.  Might be a defective model.  There's a curious lack of real information about this keyboard on the internet, besides obviously sponsored glowing reviews and various complaints about defective models.

It does support continous pedals.  You have to use the "expression" input and then use the preset editor to map it to CC64.

Lycomedes wrote:
hesitz wrote:
Lycomedes wrote:

Yes, it always sends 64 note-off.  I don't know if it actually supposed to support variance in the note-off values.  It's supposed to send aftertouch data, but it doesn't.  Might be a defective model.  There's a curious lack of real information about this keyboard on the internet, besides obviously sponsored glowing reviews and various complaints about defective models.

It does support continous pedals.  You have to use the "expression" input and then use the preset editor to map it to CC64.

And it's hard to press down the top of a key, so chords like Bb 1-3-5-8 are hard to play well and can wear out the fingers.  Not the case on a decent grand.

What a bummer, I already ordered a Hammer 88, it supposed to be my main controller, not only for Pianoteq or other VST pianos, but for various virtual instruments.
But because I'm a piano focused composer(I mean that I learned harmony and composition through the piano, not that I mainly compose pieces for piano), I wanted it to be a decent piano controller, and I mainly use Pianoteq, it's my favorite VST piano.
I also hoped that it is a decent piano controller for nightly silent piano sessions with headphones, because I'm moving now to a new studio apartment and meanwhile I'm leaving my Kawai MP11SE at my mother house.
I'm not excepting it to be as good as the MP11SE, but if it is as good as some entry level digital pianos that currently in the market like Roland FP10 or Yamaha P125 then I'm definitely going to be satisfied 

I read a lot of positive reviews on this keyboard, and in terms of specs I don't know any alternative that fits to my workflow and my ergonomic preference I.E wheels at the side and not at the top, perfect MIDI editor.

But what bothers me now even more, is that I now read in some review that you can't use its MIDI editor at the same time that the DAW is open, I.E when I work with the Hammer 88 on Cubase, and I want to use the MIDI editor for reassign the MOD-Wheel or the expression pedal to different MIDI CCs, I have to quite Cubase first, reassign with the MIDI editor, and then enter Cubase again. And repeat this actions every time I want to change something on the MIDI editor.
If it is really so, then it's going to completely destruct my workflow, I mean, this is totally unacceptable.
I really really hope this is not the case because I chose the Hammer 88 over other MIDI keyboards mainly because of the convenient editor. Like, not sending note-off velocity is suck, but it's not a deal breaker, but this, this is a real deal breaker, if I knew it is like that I would not have ordered it. And I don't think I can cancel my order now.

But anyway if someone can confirm that there is such a problem please tell me fast so I'll try to cancel my order as soon as possible.

Last edited by hag01 (06-05-2022 20:00)

hag01 wrote:

. . . I now read in some review that you can't use its MIDI editor at the same time that the DAW is open, I.E when I work with the Hammer 88 on Cubase, and I want to use the MIDI editor for reassign the MOD-Wheel or the expression pedal to different MIDI CCs, I have to quite Cubase first, reassign with the MIDI editor, and then enter Cubase again. And repeat this actions every time I want to change something on the MIDI editor.
If it is really so, then it's going to completely destruct my workflow, I mean, this is totally unacceptable.

Sounds like a strange workflow, if you're constantly changing the MIDI CC's of different controls on keyboard in a way that screws things up with Cubase.  (If true, it also sounds more like a problem with Cubase than with the keyboard.)  I would wait and see how it works when you get it.  If it's a problem there are definitely workarounds.  Easest workaround would be to route the Hammer 88 messages through a MIDI monitor/filter app on your PC, and change the MIDI CC there (with the app then forwarding the message to cubase).

Last edited by hesitz (07-05-2022 02:35)

I'm able to play some Bach preludes on the Hammer 88 Pro, but not Grieg lyric pieces.  They're more playable on Casio's Celviano series of digital pianos, or any decent acoustic.

Well, after changing the key sensitivity setting a bunch of times, aftertouch suddenly decided to start working (across all of them).  Still no note-off velocity variance though.  I've contacted M-Audio asking whether note-off velocity variance is supposed to work.

I'm using this:

Velocity = [0, 1, 44, 65, 85, 127; 0, 0, 32, 64, 96, 127]
Sustain Velocity = [0, 30, 62, 119, 127; 0, 0, 64, 127, 127]

You should also try the different key sensitivity settings on the board.

Last edited by Lycomedes (08-05-2022 12:55)

Lycomedes, if your keyboard supposed to have aftertouch I guess it is M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro and not M-Audio Hammer 88.
The Hammer 88 doesn't has aftertouch unless I'm mistaken here big time.

Anyway, I will be thankful if you'll update here about the answer you'll get from M-Audio.

I'll let you know.

https://disk.yandex.com/i/MrzH3JzdzxnWyg

This right hand is difficult to play on the Hammer 88 Pro because the keys are so stiff at the top.  I contort my hand in creative ways to hit the bottom (nearest part) of the white keys while my thumb is pressing F#.

Last edited by Lycomedes (09-05-2022 23:02)

The Hammer 88 is at my place for quite few days already.
It does send note-off velocity.
But the preset editor doesn't work while any VST program is running.
I even thought it might be a malfunction so I contacted M-Audio support and they told me that this is a limitation of the keyboard, they referred to the preset editor as "post production tool", oh well.
Still best product on the market for what I need as far as I know. For example in Native Instrument Kontrol 88 the MIDI CC value of the mod-wheel is fixed - can not be changed at all via the MIDI editor of this keyboard.
Other keyboards just don't have the wheels on the left.

Hopefully I'll get along via Cubase's MIDI transformer and such.

Hammer 88 Pro does not send note-off velocities, at least mine doesn't.  I never got a response from M-Audio support.  And occasionally a note is "stuck", or there's sudden garbled input (extra notes I didn't press), at least with Pianoteq, I haven't encountered that with other piano VSTs, at least not yet.

In the MIDI, along with the garbled input, is the sudden apperance of a random MIDI CC like 73 (Sound Attack) or 59, and the pedal input also looks strange.

https://disk.yandex.com/i/DWU5nNWAfUwtEQ

Last edited by Lycomedes (18-05-2022 22:13)

Lycomedes wrote:

.  And occasionally a note is "stuck", or there's sudden garbled input (extra notes I didn't press), at least with Pianoteq
https://disk.yandex.com/i/DWU5nNWAfUwtEQ

It happens to me too.
But since it only happened in Pianoteq so far, I'm not sure yet that it is the Hammer 88's fault.
I didn't play so much on other VST instrument through the Hammer 88 yet, so I'm also not sure yet whether it doesn't happen on other VST instruments.

Now I've confirmed the glitch input also happens with other VSTs, in particular Spitfire's Intimate Grand Piano.  I'll try to get a refund, and I won't be buying any more M-Audio products.

I found a solution.  I haven't had any glitch input after making these changes:

1) In the Hammer 88 settings, set "midi out" to "off"
2) In Pianoteq/Reaper settings, go to input devices and uncheck MIDIIN2-4

Excellent things to do with most dpianos and DAWs Lycomedes!

For your point 1, might be worth saying that in some dpianos, the 'MIDI out' may be called something like "Local MIDI", always good to turn this kind of thing OFF.

Have found not turning it off, can be attributed to some glitches, esp. over USB connected dpianos, not so much if using old style MIDI cabling (which I prefer). Would be interested if others find similar.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Well, from what we've been able to gather, it appears Hammer 88 sends note-off velocities, but Hammer 88 Pro doesn't.  I'm not aware of any place where M-Audio informs of this, and they never replied to my email.

Lycomedes wrote:

Hey, I’m having this problem too and it’s ruing everything. Too bad because apart from that I really like this keyboard.

Can you tell me how do I turn off “MIDI out” in the hammer 88 settings?
I can’t see this parameter in the Hammer 88 MIDI Editor.

hag01 wrote:
Lycomedes wrote:

Hey, I’m having this problem too and it’s ruing everything. Too bad because apart from that I really like this keyboard.

The MIDI out setting is in the onboard settings, it's the "global" button on the Pro version, maybe not on the Hammer 88.  Also make sure you don't have any other MIDI controller connected/enabled, that may interfere with the signal.

Lycomedes wrote:
hag01 wrote:
Lycomedes wrote:

The MIDI out setting is in the onboard settings, it's the "global" button on the Pro version, maybe not on the Hammer 88.  Also make sure you don't have any other MIDI controller connected/enabled, that may interfere with the signal.

OK I checked in the manual, as far as I can tell there is no such parameter as "MIDI out" in the Hammer 88 non pro version.

I'll try to connect the Hammer 88 directly to my computer, not through a USB hub and a USB extension cable as I did mostly so far, and see if it helps.

Anyway, I can tell you for sure that this problem is much more common with Pianoteq 7 than with any other VST instrument I played with through the Hammer 88, including Pianoteq 5 which I tried after having this problem with Pianoteq 7.

And another note- Not connecting another MIDI device is out of the question for me, the whole ergonomic plane for my new home studio desk was based on combining the Hammer 88 with KORG nanoKONTROL Studio on my desk for additional controllers.

Well, you should try disconnecting the KORG nanoKONTROL Studio, and any other MIDI devices, to see if it solves the problem.

Last edited by Lycomedes (28-05-2022 11:32)

Lycomedes wrote:

Well, you should try disconnecting the KORG nanoKONTROL Studio, and any other MIDI devices, to see if it solves the problem.

I should have mention that I don't have a KORG nanoKONTROL Studio yet anyway.

But let's see if the cable thing helps, I'll update shortly.

Thank you very much for trying to help me.

Here are the latest news:
I played for about an hour or so.
It started to happen a lot with Pianoteq 5 as well.

I didn't notice it happen with other virtual pianos in this last session.
As a matter of fact, I remember I noticed it happened only one time with other virtual pianos.

I have to mention I played with Spectrasonics Keyscape most of the time I didn't play with Pianoteq.
I don't remember I noticed it happened with non piano virtual instruments.

I think it's still early to get to conclusions, because I didn't played enough on my Hammer 88 yet, but so far it seems that the problem is not only with the Hammer 88, but with Pianoteq as well. It seems like they fail to integrate with each other.

Last edited by hag01 (28-05-2022 12:57)