Re: Pianoteq 6.1

Keepitsimple wrote:

So a week after buying Pianoteq, i can finally say that i think i managed to get the best possible "realistic" playing experience with my setup.

My setup consists of:
- Casio CDP 200R
- Focusrite 18i20
- Yamaha HS80M Studio monitors
- Sony MDR 7506 headphones

Taking in consideration vital monitors placement when playing Pianoteq, i wasn't really happy with playing through the monitors, so i often reverted to my trusty Sony headphones whenever i wanted to play.

But then i got this idea: Why not send audio-out from the Focusrite soundcard into the Casio audio-in jack and see how that works. And Bingo! Pianoteq is now playing through my Casio speakers and wow what a difference.

Now i can understand why there are many threads about speakers placement, headphones vs speakers etc... It DOES make a big difference when it comes to getting the most of Pianoteq.

i'm sure David will speak better to this than i, but don't chuck those monitors yet!    check out David's thread here ==> http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=4625

Matthieu 7:6

Steve Edwards wrote:

After a week using version 6.1.1, I find myself going back to version 6.0.3. My favourite Model B on 6.1.1 is too metallic and the sympathetic resonance at the top end is way too much compared to 6.0.3. (using the sustain pedal). I'm trying to adjust 6.1.1 to get my original back so I can stay updated, but so far this is not easy. This is for my home digital piano with added digital monitor speakers.

same here regarding Model B of 6.1.1.
same here on going back to 6.0.3.

not only that, but all the models I tried, of several different pianos, seemed to sound almost equally over-bright and loud and bad.

Since so many people in this thread really like 6.1.1, my theory is that on some systems, there is some kind of software setting or control that gets reset incorrectly in 6.1.1, causing bad sound on some systems.

Also, the sounds I was hearing when playing 6.1.1 were unacceptably BAD, whereas the online comparative demo provided by Pianoteq sounds fine (comparing the same pieces of music played by 6.1.1 vs 6.03) did not sound drastic at all, those demos sounded fine.

I'm on a 2017 iMac.  All previous versions of Pianoteq have always been terrific. I've been a consistent champion and advocate of it. But 6.1.1 was a wreck for me.

Pianoteq Standard 6.3.0, iMac mid 2017, High Sierra, Roland RD-300GX
Have all the Pianoteq sounds/instruments.

wadecottingham wrote:

Also, the sounds I was hearing when playing 6.1.1 were unacceptably BAD, whereas the online comparative demo provided by Pianoteq sounds fine (comparing the same pieces of music played by 6.1.1 vs 6.03) did not sound drastic at all, those demos sounded fine.

You should get the same sound as on the demos. Please contact the support https://www.pianoteq.com/support by providing:
- a MIDI file of your choice,
- the audio output of your Pianoteq 6.1.1 version,
- the exact preset that was used during export.
This will allow us to investigate your issue.

Well, I have to admit that my initial reaction to 6.1 on first playing was ‘aagh, that’s a bit strident….’, but after adjusting performance settings and modifying some presets it dawned on me that I also needed to pay closer attention to the behaviour of my input keyboard (in my case, a Roland FP30). Monitoring the output levels on the velocity map as I played, it soon became evident that it was far too easy for me to reach near-maximum velocity. With the increased realism of 6.1 this becomes a crucial issue. Think about it: if you’re intending to play forte and it’s actually sounding fortissimo (plus), it’s never going to sound right. And what about when you really want to play fortissimo? No piano (or any instrument, for that matter) is going to sound at its most elegant when it’s being driven really hard. Trying to adjust the velocity curve wasn’t quite doing the trick for me, so I increased the ‘heaviness’ of the key touch setting on the FP30 so that I would have to make more physical effort to play a genuine fortissimo. Suddenly all the ‘harshness’ was just swept away and the true character of each piano revealed in vivid detail. Much to my delight I’m even enjoying the K2, a piano that never quite convinced me before – now I’m actually playing it, not just fiddling about with it. So yes, 6.1 requires a bit of thought and effort to get the best out of it, but IMO it’s 100% worth it. I can’t imagine wanting to downgrade to the old version.

dklein wrote:

I like the YC5 for a "clean" - sounding piano.  Furthermore, YC5 in ver 6 is much better than that in version 5.

I'm beginning to warm to the YC5 as well. Nothing would have induced me to buy it in v5, I just didn't like it, but now I'm considering it as a future purchase.

dazric wrote:

Well, I have to admit that my initial reaction to 6.1 on first playing was ‘aagh, that’s a bit strident….’, but after adjusting performance settings and modifying some presets it dawned on me that I also needed to pay closer attention to the behaviour of my input keyboard (in my case, a Roland FP30). Monitoring the output levels on the velocity map as I played, it soon became evident that it was far too easy for me to reach near-maximum velocity. With the increased realism of 6.1 this becomes a crucial issue. Think about it: if you’re intending to play forte and it’s actually sounding fortissimo (plus), it’s never going to sound right. And what about when you really want to play fortissimo? No piano (or any instrument, for that matter) is going to sound at its most elegant when it’s being driven really hard. Trying to adjust the velocity curve wasn’t quite doing the trick for me, so I increased the ‘heaviness’ of the key touch setting on the FP30 so that I would have to make more physical effort to play a genuine fortissimo. Suddenly all the ‘harshness’ was just swept away and the true character of each piano revealed in vivid detail. Much to my delight I’m even enjoying the K2, a piano that never quite convinced me before – now I’m actually playing it, not just fiddling about with it. So yes, 6.1 requires a bit of thought and effort to get the best out of it, but IMO it’s 100% worth it. I can’t imagine wanting to downgrade to the old version.

I think so...that might have a lot to do with the terribly loud sounds I was hearing when I was playing through a bunch of presets after installing 6.1.1.  I spent a few quick minutes trying some different velocity curves I already had on file, but I have not taken time to find the perfect settings. Have not even done a velocity reset within Pianoteq yet... I am just annoyed since it played great before, but all of a sudden - big problems. But I do appreciate your account of how your resets paid off in delight and playability.  When I have time I will get into it deeper: velocity settings, send files to Pianoteq support, etc, etc. Till then I will use 6.0.3 or other software pianos.

Pianoteq Standard 6.3.0, iMac mid 2017, High Sierra, Roland RD-300GX
Have all the Pianoteq sounds/instruments.

groovy wrote:

Just mouse-clicking the virtual sustain-pedal (while all notes are off) drives the Audio load / CPU usage from 1 % to 35 % on my system v6.1.1. - That's hungry, isn't it?

It's normal, that's it.

I found the answer to my question in an old thread of 2012:
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=2493

In short: "... as soon as you move your pedal the piano model is running ..."

So, nothing to worry about and it was existent in previous versions (before v6.1). Just to a smaller degree.

cheers

Just want to confirm FWIW that my CPU and crackling is not noticeably different after the update.

Also confirming no bad sounds or worse sounds. Quite the opposite as I'v posted elsewhere.

I've had edge-case issues with software over the years but I have every faith in Modartt to solve for individuals, do the right things etc. given that the user gives time and effort to engage with support.

Pianoteq Studio Bundle (Pro plus all instruments)  - Kawai MP11 digital piano - Yamaha HS8 monitors

Since this is my first post, let me just say thanks. Pianoteq is great! So much that it became an incentive for me to start practicing again (30 years later). It is also the platform for my six-year old to learn.

About the multicore option:

julien wrote:

....  if you are using Pianoteq on linux -- you can try the '--multicore max' command line option when launching Pianoteq, this will force it to use very aggressive multithreading on more than two cores. It works well on relatively slow quad core cpus such as yours, but that's only on Linux.

I think this option has an effect on Windows, too - not just on Linux. I can't say if there is any real benefit to it, it is entirely possible that it just burns cpu cycles. But it does increase utilization of all cores and it does add the "(MAX)" qualifier to the "Multicore rendering" checkbox in options:

No Multicore

With --multicore max

Hmm, don't know if it has an effect on that OS, but your images show no valid comparison:

* Upper image shows Current polyphony 76, lower image 147.
* Upper image shows % Utilization over 60 seconds, lower image over 30 seconds.

Last edited by groovy (21-03-2018 18:08)

I just want to add 2 cents to this thread.

I've previously reported that I am not an advanced keyboardist, so am not sensitive to the nuance you folks discuss with different instruments and presets.

I've been a straight up K2 Prelude guy.

But... last night I explored the 6.1 Steinway D. 

I fell in love with the Steinway D Blues preset.  I could not stop playing, it was so beautiful.

Thanks!

steve200

Last edited by steve200 (21-03-2018 20:50)

groovy wrote:

Hmm, don't know if it has an effect on that OS, but your images show no valid comparison:

* Upper image shows Current polyphony 76, lower image 147.
* Upper image shows % Utilization over 60 seconds, lower image over 30 seconds.

Hard to get the right snapshot with windows' snipping tool. I was basically sliding the mouse over the lower notes, average polyphony was comparable.

The CPU graphs are more representative, just look at utilization over the last 5 seconds (snipping tool's max delay before taking a snapshot). You are right that I did change the graph update frequency in between shots.

There's also the "(MAX)" next to "Multicore rendering" in the 2nd pic.

OK, I can confirm that this makes a big difference on Windows!

With polyphony fixed at 256 and sliding the mouse over lower (cpu-intensive notes) I would get CPU overload on a rather powerful PC (first pic). Starting Pianoteq with the --multicore max option, it just breezed through and never cut out (check the audio load graph in the 2nd pic):

No Option

With multicore max

I just bought 6.1.1 today; the stage trial I was running was a bit problematic at first.  However, the purchased version seemed to sort out it's own settings based on the computer specs which it kindly told me it had unearthed.
It's given no trouble during the time setting it up and subsequently playing it.
I've made a note of them in case I get the urge . . . .

I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

Fantastic how far Modartt has taken us.
Nicky Fog is a God amongst men.
Im using so many instruments now from PTeq.

Dont get mad but I layer the Upright with Keyscape Wing Tack and its deadly.
Layer the MKS20 with MKII and its equally devastating.
Layer the Clavinet as well.

PTeq has the meat and potatoes but also like the mechanics Keyscape offers.
I do layer the lowest octaves on KScapes C7 with PTeq just because I like the wooden bright blend, but PTeqs upper 5 1/2 octaves are the best.

Thanks guys for years of pleasure.

Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....