Re: Pianoteq 6.1

Sounds like your CPU is throttling.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Sounds like your CPU is throttling.

I agree, check your energy profile.
It should be set to performance. Also disabling turbo boost or other powersaving settings in the bios can help.

No, Turbo Boost should be enabled permanently (it's not a power saving setting!). Then the CPU works on its faster speed all the time. C-states and SpeedStep should be disabled, though.

Last edited by EvilDragon (06-03-2018 22:28)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

No, Turbo Boost should be enabled permanently (it's not a power saving setting!). Then the CPU works on its faster speed all the time. C-states and SpeedStep should be disabled, though.

You're right. I guess I should get some sleep

Thanks guys for trying to help. I changed Power settings from balanced to performance to no avail. Still the hot note, still the warning about fluctuations. Back at Pianoteq 6.03, everything is smooth sailing. I'm not going to bother going into bios.

I'll wait for the next update.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

I did check using the Pianoteq keyboard, tapping the keys with the mouse, and the F4 is MUCH louder. I unplugged peripherals, did a virus scan. My computer works great in every respect except for 6.1.1 and 6.1.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

So weird. I cannot replicate that F4 issue with any of the pianos over here.

Hard work and guts!

beakybird, some container or cavity around your workstation must be resonating F4.

Last edited by dklein (07-03-2018 09:05)
- David

Just for statistics, I have no F4 problem.

Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

I do not have critical-anomalous notes ..

dklein wrote:

beakybird, some container or cavity around your workstation must be resonating F4.

It has nothing to do with the MIDI controller or variations in MIDI velocity as the loud note is produced when clicking the mouse over the Pianoteq interface's keyboard. It is evidently a computer issue with this particular software. I'm playing Pianoteq 6.03 and other VSTs without a problem.
I'm grateful to those who have made suggestions.

ATH-M50x headphones.

Weird indeed.  I think that I have a similar issue with B5 through, which has been present through each version of Pianoteq. It didn't seem to be caused by my QRS PNOscan reader calibrations, and didn't occur with other VSTs (Native Instruments, for example).  I eventually just ignored it, so now it doesn't bother me.  ;-)

- David

dklein wrote:

Weird indeed.  I think that I have a similar issue with B5 through, which has been present through each version of Pianoteq. It didn't seem to be caused by my QRS PNOscan reader calibrations, and didn't occur with other VSTs (Native Instruments, for example).  I eventually just ignored it, so now it doesn't bother me.  ;-)

Yes, weird. Niclas Fogwall graciously reached out to me, and I supplied him with a MIDI and audio file of me tapping on the interface's keyboard with my mouse + a video file of the same. I'm confident that the next update will fix this or technical support will resolve it.

ATH-M50x headphones.

It looks like Niclas showed me an easy fix for my problem. With 6.11, the volume of one note, F4, was through the roof even with low MIDI velocity - regardless of Pianoteq instrument, regardless of MIDI controller.

I didn't realize that with Pianoteq Standard, you can change the individual note volume, but you can by double clicking the volume meter. When I saw the individual note volumes, one was turned up to maximum - F4. I brought this down in line with surrounding notes, and everything sounds great. Then for safe keeping, I froze volume in the freeze section.

I still get a warning of large fluctuations on the performance index, but the software, in fact, plays fine now. In fact, I'm not getting some of the performance issues I had before, like dropped notes. Thanks, Niclas.

ATH-M50x headphones.

Neat!

Hard work and guts!

beakybird wrote:

I didn't realize that with Pianoteq Standard, you can change the individual note volume, but you can by double clicking the volume meter. When I saw the individual note volumes, one was turned up to maximum - F4. I brought this down in line with surrounding notes, and everything sounds great. Then for safe keeping, I froze volume in the freeze section.

I still get a warning of large fluctuations on the performance index, but the software, in fact, plays fine now. In fact, I'm not getting some of the performance issues I had before, like dropped notes. Thanks, Niclas.

That’s a strange setting to change on an update. Is there any way you could have done it accidentally?

tfort wrote:

That’s a strange setting to change on an update. Is there any way you could have done it accidentally?

Of course not. I had the same problem after numerous uninstalls and reinstalls.

I have another little bug to report on my computer. I'm getting occasional CPU overload warnings while my task manager graph shows just 10% CPU usage. I turned off the CPU overload detection in the Pianoteq interface, and everything again seems to be working fine.

ATH-M50x headphones.

My feelings on the update here.
This 6.1.1 version is really an improvement, the expression is more dynamic and vivid!

However, as others already mentioned earlier in this thread, the sound is somewhat stronger and my ears are not as comfortable as when I was playing 6.0.3 version. So, I tried adjusting EQ and Reverb settings but those tweaks were not that satisfactory. Now, I am thinking that the change is fundamental, so it is not easy to regain the state of the former sounds.

Also, I feel that the characters of some instruments have changed. Bluthner in 6.0.3, was a kind of Basso Profondo, now in 6.1.1, the tones lost some percent of richness, especially in lower notes. I miss the timbre.

I have an idea, how about adding a slider or button which modify sound quality from dullness to sharpness (or at least something like that)? It is similar concept with condition slider which we already have. With it, we can adjust piano sound from Mint to Worn out very easily.

Anyway, I am trying to adapt myself to the new version, I really appreciate the effort Modartt has made.

For those who have some PC performance problems, you may want to read this thread: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26765

The keywords are BIOS C-States, ParkControl tool, maybe Windows power settings (min/max for CPU 100%, check everything around regarding automatic power management, set it all off).

Also for USB audio interfaces set it to a separate USB controller on your motherboard (no need to buy a dedicated one, although it is still an option).

Because of this forum restrictions I can't copy/paste from the RME Babyface Pro manual what you should do for this. You may Google/download it and check chapter 26.3 page 78 for the info.

Last edited by AKM (09-03-2018 16:40)

Overall I want to heavily promote RME audio interfaces. I'm a recent Babyface Pro owner - hassle-free playing Pianoteq on 48 samples buffer (while watching YouTube), all on a 6 years old i3 3220 processor PC. There is actually everything amazing about RME stuff, but especially in regards to Pianoteq it has the best drivers latency/performance/stability-wise on the market. Downside - they are rather expensive.

Well worth the price if you want the best drivers in the business.

Hard work and guts!

Does anyone know if the RME interfaces work well in Linux (or whether they depend upon Windows or Mac software drivers)?

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Just checked their "downloads" page - no Linux drivers. Mac and Win. As far as I know they are quite friendly towards iOS and Android (later versions), although I don't have personal experience.

RME Babyface works on Linux in class-compliant mode, as reported by many. Probably their other audio interfaces, too.

Last edited by EvilDragon (09-03-2018 19:32)
Hard work and guts!

Greetings,
I have been extremely busy at work, but finally, managed to get some time to test the new version.
I noticed a very small increase of CPU but without experiencing any cracks or pops. I pressed continuously the sustain pedal while making lots and lots of glissandos without noticing any problem at all (and with the polyphony of 256 voices…), but then again, I have a high-end CPU and lots of RAM.
I like the sound, love the feel. The “tweakability” remains phenomenal. This is a proper application; well written, beautiful and powerful. IMO and AFAIK, the best interface for a virtual piano – it remains the “primus inter pares” for playing live.  And keeps improving!!!
KUDOS to Modartt!

Last edited by mfiadeiro (10-03-2018 10:18)

Just a follow-up. Once I restarted Pianoteq after the CPU Overload warnings - where I mentioned that the CPU wasn't actually overloading - Pianoteq 6.11 has been stable on my system. Even when having volume unchecked in the freeze pane, I'm no longer getting the loud F note, and I'm no longer getting a CPU overload warning. I'm getting a performance index of 90 ... 111 which is probably not right.

Anyway, I'm pretty picky. There are two problems I have gotten with some Pianoteq instruments and/or presets. One is a synth-like resonance and the other is convolution - where the notes sound too mushed together when playing chords with pedal down. Some of these problems are less apparent with my speakers than they are with headphones.

For now, I really, really like the Grotrian instrument, and I was playing the Model B, and it sounds just fantastic. The Bluthner sounds very realistic, but it's not a sound I'm drawn to.

Ideally, all the models would sound perfect to me, but for me to have the Grotrian and the Model B to play with and they both sound just gorgeous, and compellingly piano-like, I'm a very happy camper. So with all caveats aside, Pianoteq is my favorite VST.

Last edited by beakybird (10-03-2018 15:39)
ATH-M50x headphones.

After a week using version 6.1.1, I find myself going back to version 6.0.3. My favourite Model B on 6.1.1 is too metallic and the sympathetic resonance at the top end is way too much compared to 6.0.3. (using the sustain pedal). I'm trying to adjust 6.1.1 to get my original back so I can stay updated, but so far this is not easy. This is for my home digital piano with added digital monitor speakers.

Last edited by Steve Edwards (10-03-2018 11:13)

Overloads - had this today as well, had the computer running, playing (Model B), doing something else, playing, doing something else, etc. then I switched to U4 and playing CPU load went up dramatically.
On my system (Surface Pro 3, Win 10 Pro) I saw an increase in Tracktion CPU-load from 24% to 32% roughly .... (same settings, CPU on max setting - everything else at same setting. So, even if the numbers are incorrect, they indicate an increase).
So, definitely more CPU hungry (in my case not critical) - not sure about the CPU load today - if that is to be accounted to Pianoteq or other components - did not have that before. (but normally I play and then I quit, not letting the computer running)

best

Last edited by steff3 (10-03-2018 13:27)

Here I like what adds the setting of humanizing the point of impact. I add a little humanization in the range + -0.2-0.3 .. Ie. if the point of impact is 9.5, then I do humanization in the range 9.3-9.8. Although this may be a bit much, but it is so revitalizing the feeling of the game, adds liveliness and a variety of timbre. Perhaps accuracy is lost, but the timbre variety is improving. In this way, this feature of sound is a bit hidden, according to which one can recognize Pianoteq.

EvilDragon wrote:
Tagirijus wrote:

On FL Studio Pianoteq v6.0.1 needs max 18% according to the FL CPU meter in a specific case, while Pianoteq v6.1.1 needs up to 25% in the same case. Any chances there will be improvement? In a big orchestral setting with Sample modeling instruments this is just too much CPU usage now, unfortunately. I switched back to v6.0.1 for now.

Have you tried reducing max polyphony (if you have it set to a fairly high value)? Disabling internal reverb and using whatever you're already using in your project?

Also FL's CPU meter doesn't show true CPU usage, see Task Manager for more correct figures.

Hey there

1. I forgot to subscribe to this topic ... I thought it would be automatic subscribed, damn ... sorry for the late reply.
2. I know that the FL CPU meter does not show the real CPU usage. Still: a) the meter show different values for 6.0.1 and 6.1.1 - so at least the relative difference shows that the new version is higher and b) higher CPU usage in the FL meter is still bad and let me less or none headroom when using Pianoteq in an orchestral setup.
3. I still did a test with both versions after redownloading the v6.1.1 again ... and .. ehrm.... did the devs did some changes afterwards? Here are the test results:

v6.0.1
    FL CPU: 23
    Win CPU: 7,5 %
    Max poly: 48
    no internal effects

v6.1.1
    FL CPU: 23
    Win CPU: 7,7 %
    Max poly: 32
    no internal effects

v6.1.1
    FL CPU: 27
    Win CPU:  8,8 %
    Max poly: 48
    no internal effects

So did the devs changed the installer since my last post? These CPU differences do not seem that much any more to me like in my first tests.

groovy wrote:
julien wrote:

In your case -- if you are using Pianoteq on linux -- you can try the '--multicore max' command line option when launching Pianoteq, this will force it to use very aggressive multithreading on more than two cores. It works well on relatively slow quad core cpus such as yours, but that's only on Linux.

Thank you, I tried that experimental option! It changes "Multicore rendering" to "Multicore rendering (MAX)" in the Perf window. Performance on my CPU seems to be at the maximum/optimum already, it does not seem to change anything.

I have to correct, sorry. The option '--multicore max' has a positive effect in an overload situation! I have got crackles with heavy pedaling and full chording under Bluethner Chamber Recording AB, when v6.1.1 is running normally from command line without any option (1st image).

When started with '--multicore max' no overload happens in the same situation (2nd image).

https://s14.postimg.org/kh7o8553h/v6.1.1-without-multicore-max.png  https://s14.postimg.org/467kbu0bh/v6.1.1-with-multicore-max.png

Last edited by groovy (11-03-2018 10:49)

Version 6.1 is really nice to play, so I try some tweaks, about it I saw that all the original settings of the dynamic (difference between pp and ƒƒ) were mostly set on 40 db, sometimes less, is there someone Using a higher amplitude?

Last edited by bernard (12-03-2018 19:52)

bernard wrote:

Version 6.1 is really nice to play, so I try some tweaks, about it I saw that all the original settings of the dynamic (difference between pp and ƒƒ) were mostly set on 40 db, sometimes less, is there someone Using a higher amplitude?

Yes, my normal setting for (modern) PT pianos is 60dB. (Less for vintage pianos) I use a tailored velocity curve which is almost straight but not quite and also a tailored keyboard setting which is close to the "light keyboard" touch. (I play a Kawai ES7, output via USB to an Arcam rPAC DAC and then output to Eris 5 speakers)

This gets me closer to an acoustic grand in dynamic range but requires developing a light touch. (Increase in dynamic range reduces the p volume, f volume remains the same for the same PT volume setting and a particular DAC/soundcard/speaker volume setting) So the ff volume is still OK for a domestic setting. Any extra volume, eg for playing in a public hall, comes from increasing DAC output volume and/or, in my case, speaker volume, as the Eris5 are powered speakers.

I have read in forums that 60dB is not possible re controlling touch and it's true that it is all too easy to produce a rogue loud note, but it is possible and I am not anywhere near a professional pianist.

After an initial disappointment to find my carefully nurtured preset of the model B had changed, I am now getting used to using this new version and enjoy the improvement in clarity. My favourite model B prelude, with some adjustments for my set up is even better!

I'm also have a crackles when I play Bluethner, CPU usage more than 110% (I'm using Macbook Pro 2017).

One way to conserve resources, if you’re really pushed, would be to avoid or modify presets with more than 2 mics. Admittedly this may be a problem for Stage users, who do not have access to mic settings. Perhaps somebody could do a list of presets with gradings to show light, medium or heavy CPU usage. Some of the Bluthner presets, for example, use 4 mics, and some of the Grotrian presets use 5.

I ran into performance issues with 6.1 on my i5, 2.2gig laptop as soon as I loaded Erard 1922 Recording (4 mics) and played a few chords with pedal, which was no trouble at all in 6.03 with my previous settings. So I’m having to tinker with the performance settings to get it to behave nicely. Also I need to rethink some of the presets, especially the amount and type of reverb (Erard 1922 seemed to me very boomy in the lower end; a drier reverb setting helped to reduce that effect). A bit of work is required to get some of the pianos sounding their best with my equipment, but I’m sure it will be worth it in the end.

The historical (pre-1900) pianos, for me, always seem to need a lot less tinkering than the modern ones, just set the velocity curve and maybe change the tuning or tweak the reverb, then I’m good to go. They were pretty good in v.5, now they’re just incredible! Once again I have to thank Modartt for making these superb instruments available and so satisfying to play.

dazric wrote:

One way to conserve resources, if you’re really pushed, would be to avoid or modify presets with more than 2 mics. Admittedly this may be a problem for Stage users, who do not have access to mic settings. Perhaps somebody could do a list of presets with gradings to show light, medium or heavy CPU usage. Some of the Bluthner presets, for example, use 4 mics, and some of the Grotrian presets use 5.

Ah, useful information! I tested it with my aforementioned "Bluethner Chamber Recording AB" by disabling two of the four microphones (the both omni-directional room-mics). Cracklefree then.

Thanks

Last edited by groovy (13-03-2018 21:54)

Odd, I've never had any issues with PT (ver 5 or 6) running on a Surface Pro 4 until the latest update. Now I got a bunch of crackles and CPU overload detection. Never saw that before ...

bSharpCyclist wrote:

Odd, I've never had any issues with PT (ver 5 or 6) running on a Surface Pro 4 until the latest update. Now I got a bunch of crackles and CPU overload detection. Never saw that before ...

Ditto, from my Surface Pro 3(i7).  With 6.1.1 I'm having a lot of problems with CPU overloads.

I'm mostly playing a variant of the Steinway B Home patch.

One culprit (for me anyway) is that Pianoteq 6.1.1 seems to have switched it's internal sampling rate to be identical to my USB interface's-to 192000.  I'm not sure if that is actually what happened but I switched the internal sample rate to 96000(what my Pianoteq 5 install was set to) and now it seems normal again.

Last edited by mwkohout (19-03-2018 15:46)

mwkohout wrote:
bSharpCyclist wrote:

Ditto, from my Surface Pro 3(i7).  With 6.1.1 I'm having a lot of problems with CPU overloads.

I'm mostly playing a variant of the Steinway B Home patch.

On culprit (for me anyway) is that Pianoteq 6.1.1 seems to have switched it's internal sampling rate to be identical to my USB interface's-to 192000.  I'm not sure if that is actually what happened but I switched the internal sample rate to 96000(what my Pianoteq 5 install was set to) and now it seems normal again.

I've always had my sampling rate set to 44.1, with 256 samples. Last night I was testing glissandos up and down the keyboard and it was consistently throwing CPU overload warnings. I toggled to 512 samples and then back to 256. Now it seems fine ;0

To clarify a previous post where I had issue with a convoluted sound with a few of the grand pianos when playing chords with pedal down, I don't know if it was ear fatigue or volume settings, but this isn't so much of a problem for me upon further examination. I am really, really enjoying the Steinway D and unique K2, and they both sound more authentic with 6.1.1, and I'm happy to say that I'm never getting crackles with my i5 Windows 10 setup.

As far as synth-like sounding instruments, this has been improved a lot over time. This displeasing sound appears from time to time when playing the Steinway B, but not so much. However, the YC5 would probably be my favorite instrument, but I still hear something slightly artificial in the decay. Out of the six modern grands, I think that the YC5 is most in need of improvement, and I would further opine that the Grotrian is the instrument closest to perfection.

ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

Out of the six modern grands, I think that the YC5 is most in need of improvement

+1. IMHO, YC5 is the worst model of all modern grands in Pianoteq (and so the only I didn't buy). Too synthetic. But I like Yamaha sound, it same as Kawai, pretty bright but not harsh. I miss a good Yamaha/Kawai model in Pianoteq.

U4 is slightly better, but also too synthetic. I still waiting for improvements.

Last edited by Ross (16-03-2018 23:15)
Combine velocity curves: http://output.jsbin.com/cukeme/9

I wouldn't say that Yamaha's sound is the same as Kawai's, though...

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I wouldn't say that Yamaha's sound is the same as Kawai's, though...

Agreed. I had the pleasure of being able to test Yamaha C1, C2, C3 against the Kawai RX1, RX2 and RX3 at the same dealer when shopping around. (Some years' ago obviously) I respect peoples' choices either way of course, but for me I quickly abandoned the Yamahas. Would have bought the RX3 but didn't have the space. Thoroughly enjoyed my RX2 until I downsized and went digital.

A Pianoteq Shigeru would be very welcome ..................

sandalholme wrote:

You can say THAT again!

Hard work and guts!

Just mouse-clicking the virtual sustain-pedal (while all notes are off) drives the Audio load / CPU usage from 1 % to 35 % on my system v6.1.1. - That's hungry, isn't it?

Arbitrary Steinway D Prelude (unmodified preset):

https://s14.postimg.org/gc1enp441/v6.1.1-just-sustain-pedal-audio-load.png

EvilDragon wrote:
sandalholme wrote:

You can say THAT again!

1+ for any Kawai model.

@beakybird@Ross
I dont think YC5 is bad at all. It remind me of a Yamaha I played every week many years ago. I like it. Sound is so clean, kind of elegance, stylish. I have listened so many times to the YC5 demo ”So long california”, it is excellent. To get opinions about Ptq are of course good for Modartt. And different opinions in this forum can help members too. I think i could buy YC5 using next coupon from the video contest this year. Well, thats what I think about it.

I like the YC5 for a "clean" - sounding piano.  Furthermore, YC5 in ver 6 is much better than that in version 5.

- David

I’ve also become fond of the YC5.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (18-03-2018 02:46)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq