Topic: Notes on new Studiologic SL88 Grand - pretty impressed.

Hey guys,

I had some trouble finding in depth information on the SL88, and since you guys seem to be pretty serious about controllers around here, I thought I'd post a few things I'd been wondering about, now that I have one. This is the first week, and I'll try to update if as I find out more or anything changes;

• It feels great. I hadn't been able to try one before buying (no one in CA seems to stock them) and the closest I'd been able to get was going back and forth between an A-88 and VPC1 at one of the big box stores. I'm not all that impressed by the wood since it seems more like slabs on top of the normal TP40 action (thus all the mechanical parts are plastic and metal - and they don't line up with the keycaps in the rear) but the end result feels nice enough me to call it a noticeable tactile improvement over the TP100LR in the Acuna I'm replacing...which did at least make up in accuracy what it lacked in raw feel.

• Triple sensors are noticeable. I had my doubts here, but there are grace notes in Lizst and repetitions in Shostakovich pieces I (sorta) know that are markedly more reliable for me on this than anything i've owned prior

• The action is pretty quiet. Few people mention this...and  I think the Acuna was particularly bad (lots of thump, resonating loudly from the metal bottom) but this is MUCH better and at least on par with if not better than other boards I've had.

• There is indeed note-off / release velocity. Another hard bit of info to find.

• The 'Ivory Touch' keycaps are a lot better than I expected. It's not a molded-in texture like Roland's but a nice matte finished, dense-feeling plastic/composite with very subtle mottling. Much nicer under hand than shiny plastic; I hadn't payed it a second thought after reading product info but I'm admittedly rather glad to have it.

• The main damper jack does not seem capable of continuous input (at least not with the pedal I have) but any of the jacks can ben assigned to any controller output, so I was easily able to use one of the expression jacks. There are a 5 inputs in total, so it seems pretty flexible.

• The control sticks (pitch mod, etc) are very flexible in capability but seem likely to be problematic in use. They are small, with precious little travel and a pronounced dead spot in the center for the spring-loaded axes (nearly impossible to sweep through it without pause).  I haven't gotten into tuning or calibration yet so that may be fixable.

• It is surprisingly compact. Shallower front-to-back than my Acuna, and with less rise behind the keys (even with the sticks and control knob). The end caps are the thinnest i've seen on any 88

• I think I can confirm the temporal aftertouch separation (values will not register within some number of milliseconds following a key strike) which I'm sure will bother some, but I've never been able to use AT gracefully anyway.

• Importantly, I have no QC issues. Keys all seem uniform, quiet, and stable. No rattles, clunks, stickiness, slow or irregular spots. There's a fair bit of negative feedback floating around for this model and I'm pleased to say mine shows no signs of corroborating any of it. As far as I can tell, it's built like a tank.

So... I'm quite happy thus far. My plan is to use it for a few weeks at least to make sure the action is one I can live with for a while, then build it into studio desk 2.0 (the current one is due for serious upgrading), at which point I'll likely open it up (plans are ambitious) and will try to post some pics. I held off getting one of these for a while due to the mixed reviews, finally jumping in because I found a cheap one. I wish I hadn't waited; it slides easily into the top spot among the boards I've owned. Any questions let me know

Re: Notes on new Studiologic SL88 Grand - pretty impressed.

Thank you for sharing!

I was again trying the SL88 Grand the last week for some hours in the next shop, after doing so with the VPC1 and the Roland, and I'm still convinced that the SL88 will fit best (for my subjective taste). Great to hear that you are very much happy with the Studiologic and also don't see any QC issues.

The Fatar keyboards always had Note off-Velocity (at least my 25 year old Doepfer LMK3 has).

I'd like to point anyone interested in this keyboard to some interesting thoughts from Lachnit, especially related to the concept of the VPC1. AFAIK Lachnit uses the Fatar TP/40Wood, same as in the SL88 Grand, as a base for their keyboard, but of course modify the sensor technology (the measure the speed of the hammer as opposed to having three switches pressed by the key itself).

http://www.flkeys.at/FLKFaqEng.html

Last edited by eriks (18-02-2018 19:42)

I fully agree, have had the Grand for two years now, and I am still very happy with it. Being used to old accoustics I really appreciate the feeling of the keys (ivory fake, but works very well for me), and the action is great and works very well. I have tried Fazioli and top-end Steinways that 'helped me' more with regards to playing, but for the price the Grand is really outstanding.

A few notes from using it at home and for gigging:
- The pins and the knob can be damaged during transportation, I have made a foam overlay with holes for the pins and the knob, works well.
- The colors in the display has faded quite a bit. The black is fine, so it doesn't really matter.
- I bought the SLP3-D pedal board, but it does not work for me, I have switched back to the Roland DP-10. And whatever I have around for spare pedals for soft/sostenuto.

Regarding DefaultITs comments about the damper, yes, the first two jack are switches, the last two are continous. I have had a few issues with key sensibility, but as it is possible to adjust this on a key-by-key basis I have adjusted to my likings, and have no complaints now. The mechanics works fine.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
VST host: Cantabile
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

I only tried it in the store. Though i *wanted* to love it, I hate it, mostly because I do care about aftertouch and the SL88 grand appears only to be capable of on/off and nothing in between. There is also no way to adjust sensitivity.

There is also a SL88 studio, with TP100 keys (vs tp40W on the grand) and there is a SL73 studio on the way. I am curious to learn how those perform.

Studiologic is the same company as Fatar. It is only reasonable that they have access to their nices action for a nice price.

To get a better action, you need to spend a lot more. Personally, I would go for a Nord Stage action (any which one), but that seems excessive for only the keys. They also use Fatar keybeds, but they tune them and it somehow makes them even nicer and quieter. But you can get 3 kawais for that money...

buis wrote:

I only tried it in the store. Though i *wanted* to love it, I hate it, mostly because I do care about aftertouch and the SL88 grand appears only to be capable of on/off and nothing in between. There is also no way to adjust sensitivity. [...]

Personally, I would go for a Nord Stage action (any which one), but that seems excessive for only the keys. They also use Fatar keybeds, but they tune them and it somehow makes them even nicer and quieter. But you can get 3 kawais for that money...

I just pulled up a MIDI monitor to make sure, and can verify that aftertouch is indeed fully variable, and I had no trouble modulating between 0 and 127 with a pressure range I would describe as firm (0) to aggressive (127). It is monophonic, outputting a single value for the highest pressure on any combination of keys. [EDIT] It also seems to send the same value across splits using duplicate messages. For example, in a channel 1/2 split, key pressure from any part of the board is sent via concurrent evens on both channels 1 and 2. If there are any settings or adjustment for AT, I don't see them. 

I have again noticed the small delay in AT events following a key strike but am not familiar enough with AT to know if this is normal (I assume there must be some standard method of separating AT pressure from key strike force). Looking closer at this, it seems to be a generally laggy/smoothed response, as even releasing pressure seems to have slight delay compared to the other channels (pedal, control sticks). I had noticed something similar with the breath input jack on my Acuna; there was essentially only so fast the Acuna would register changes in value from the BC-3 I had plugged in. That made stuff like tonguing mostly impossible and I subsequently resorted to other breath controllers. Unlike the Acuna, this seems to be limited to just the AT channel in the SL, as the sticks and variable pedals all seem as immediate as I am able to discern. Comparing the curves produced by a control stick and AT when recorded into Logic, it does appear the AT is lower resolution. If I had to describe it, it gives the impression of a .1-.2 second latency. Only noticeable if you're really looking for it.

One of my previous boards was a Stage 88 and I can tell you firsthand that the action was a previous generation TP40 (sans wood). It did feel great, while a bit lighter than this SL88, which suits the electric sounds that board was so good at (it's a decent compromise between an acoustic and a Rhodes). But looking to a Nord simply for keybed improvement would be a large waste of money if you ask me. Anyway they're somewhat different beasts; the SL is a dedicated, tunable controller, the Nords are standalone performance machines...and some of the best, at that.

Last edited by DefaultIT (18-02-2018 23:12)

It looks like a very impressive keyboard. It has a lot of what the VPC-1 has but at a lower price point:

Graded action Wooden keys
Ivory feel
Triple sensor

Then it has features like aftertouch and control sticks. A piano purist might not need these things, but it's still less expensive than the VPC-1. But does it feel as piano-like?

I might have compared this to the Roland FP-90's PHA-50 action if the Studiologic came out 14 months ago.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

It seems that TP40WOOD is much better than TP100 according to what you said. Does either of them support CC#88 high resolution? With the SL88 Grand weighing 20.8 kg and Studio 11.5 kg, are the advantages of the former really worth the addition to the weight as well as the price?

Last edited by Gnusmas (19-02-2018 15:20)
Gnusmas

TP100 is overall not a really good action, TP40 (Wood or not) is much better. AFAIK Fatar's version doesn't support high-resolution velocities - you'd need special sensors for that, like the ones Lachnit uses (but sure, they cost a fortune).

Last edited by EvilDragon (19-02-2018 15:27)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

TP100 is overall not a really good action, TP40 (Wood or not) is much better. AFAIK Fatar's version doesn't support high-resolution velocities - you'd need special sensors for that, like the ones Lachnit uses (but sure, they cost a fortune).

I'm seeing some negative user reviews regarding keys that begin to click. I'd be weary of purchasing this board if I were in the market.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Probably isolated cases rather than a generic failure on whole batches of boards...

Hard work and guts!

The SL88 Grand is on my short list to replace my Roland RD-150. I used to use an RD-700 as well but sold it. The one thing that is a concern to me is that I've had miserable experiences with Fatar keybeds in the past. Granted this is from the late 90's early 2000 and with the 900 and 800 series of controllers as well as the fully weighted hammer action keybed in the Ensoniq synths. I was touring at the time and they literally fell apart. Hammer weight cases would crack and the lead weight would fall out. Felt would wear out prematurely etc. I got very good at tracking down craft shops and repairing the units.

So jump ahead to 2018. I still seem to read more than I think I should about QC complaints with the StudioLogic units although recent complaints seem few so maybe it was the early units and things have settled down.

I'm torn between the RD-2000 and the SL88 Grand. I gigged with both my RD-150 (some ancient Fatar action, but a good one) and RD-700 and aside from some dirty faders sending out random MIDI messages, which a little DeOxit fixed I haven't had a single problem with my Roland units. Hence my leaning toward Roland.

Still $900 vs $2500 is a big difference in price.
The local stores have the RD-2000 and it has a wonderful action but they don't have the SL88 so I would buy local, pick up and this way if I don't like it I can return it without worrying about shipping costs.

I whipped out the hand sanitize bottle (flu epidemic here in USA) and have been hitting the local shops and nothing else appeals to me.

BTW I did read somewhere that the SL88 Grand display is available from electronics parts houses is inexpensive and easily replaceable. Of course I can't find the thread.

//EDIT
I found the place for the displays:

https://www.buydisplay.com/default/

Thanks to DefaultlT for posting this.
Any other comments on the SL88 Grand?

Last edited by jazzkeys88 (19-02-2018 17:35)
SteveO

I tried to find and read every single comment and review about the SL88 Grand. My impression is that there are actually about 5 people actually who had some QC issues with the SL88, everyone else just refers to them because there aren't so much long-term reviews of the SL88 Grand (thank you Torsten B. Hagemann for your periodic updates!).

Lachnit describes in its FAQ how much work it is to adjust every single key individually. This might be missing (sometimes) from a stock SL88 Grand but can easily done by the user because the software of the SL88 and the editor are ready for this kind of maintenance. The SL88 Grand in my store also has two keys which should be adjusted, but nevertheless I very much enjoyed playing on it.

At home I'm currently playing my old Dopefer LMK3 with a Fatar TP10 keyboard from the early 90s (I didn't use it from about 1995 to 2015, so it's not that I used it for 35 years; sadly). It's still very fine to play.

By the way Doepfer strongly suggests to use the transport securing screws if you look into the old original manual.

I understand your concerns about old Fatar keyboards if you look into the interiour, but if you compare how the current keyboards are built, the  TP40/Wood used mainly metal structures and the hammer itself is quite bigger.

Fatar TP10 from the 90s, small hammers made from plastic:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305...mech01.jpg

Fatar TP40/Wood:
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/928070.jpg
http://www.cndzq.com/bbs/data/attachmen...ams4kv.jpg

Last edited by eriks (19-02-2018 23:04)

jazzkeys88 wrote:

I'm torn between the RD-2000 and the SL88 Grand.

FP-90 has the same action as RD-2000 at less the price. But you need the controllers that 2000 has, yeah?

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:
jazzkeys88 wrote:

I'm torn between the RD-2000 and the SL88 Grand.

FP-90 has the same action as RD-2000 at less the price. But you need the controllers that 2000 has, yeah?

Yep.. Don't like having built in speakers either.

SteveO

eriks wrote:

I tried to find and read every single comment and review about the SL88 Grand. My impression is that there are actually about 5 people actually who had some QC issues with the SL88, everyone else just refers to them because there aren't so much long-term reviews of the SL88 Grand (Torsten B. Hagemann for your periodic updates).

Lachnit describes in its FAQ how much work it is to adjust every single key individually. This might be missing (sometimes) from a stock SL88 Grand but can easily done by the user because the software of the SL88 and the editor are ready for this kind of maintenance. The SL88 Grand in my store also has two keys which should be adjusted, but nevertheless I very much enjoyed playing on it.

At home I'm currently playing my old Dopefer LMK3 with a Fatar TP10 keyboard from the early 90s (I didn't use it from about 1995 to 2015, so it's not that I used it for 35 years; sadly). It's still very fine to play.

By the way Doepfer strongly suggests to use the transport securing screws if you look into the old original manual.

I understand your concerns about old Fatar keyboards if you look into the interiour, but if you compare how the current keyboards are built, the  TP40/Wood used mainly metal structures and the hammer itself is quite bigger.

Fatar TP10 from the 90s, small hammers made from plastic:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305...mech01.jpg

Fatar TP40/Wood:
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/928070.jpg
http://www.cndzq.com/bbs/data/attachmen...ams4kv.jpg

Thank you so much eriks for the fine pics. So the TP-10 in your top pic is the one I know intimately  
See the plastic that encases the hammer weight?
The first problem is that this plastic is extremely brittle, almost like a bakelite type plastic. Which seems odd for something that is under a lot of stress. So the second problem is that while your pic clearly shows the plastic totally encasing the hammer weight, every keyboard I had from that era, had gaps in the plastic where evidently during manufacture it didn't flow totally around the lead hammer weight.

Put the two problems together and it's a train wreck weighting (pun intended) to happen.
The weakened plastic would crack and the weight would fall out.

The other problem was much less serious, but the felt under the keys would wear out and need to be replaced. Time to visit the craft shop for that one. I kind of get this one as a wearable part. The CP4 seems to have a similar problem.

I'm inclined to agree with you regarding the SL88 complaints on the net. This happens all the time and in the scheme of things it's usually a small handful of people who make a lot of noise and it gets picked up in the various groups and spirals out of control.
I agree with you as I too find so very little bad  that is both recent and cannot be traced back to another person.

Thank you again for posting. The newer Fatar actions certainly, at least from an engineering POV, seem much simpler in terms of mechanics and simpler mechanics means less to to fail.
Oddly, the RD-150 I own supposedly has a Fatar action and I've never had a problem with it nor have I had it opened up to see. It replaced an Ensoniq KS-32 I had which had the TP-10 or similar action you posted above. It was a nightmare.

Thanks again for your valuable input!

SteveO

@jazzkeys88
The SL is so much less expensive than the Roland that you might as well just buy it to try it out. If you don't like it, you can sell it on and buy the Roland and you're a few $100 out of pocket. But if you do like it, you saved yourself $1600.

3/2 = 5

SteveLy wrote:

@jazzkeys88
The SL is so much less expensive than the Roland that you might as well just buy it to try it out. If you don't like it, you can sell it on and buy the Roland and you're a few $100 out of pocket. But if you do like it, you saved yourself $1600.

We both think alike !

SteveO

Interestingly I've read some threads in the piano world forum, and people had almost the same quality control issue stories to tell about the Kawais (VPC1/MP11/MP7*) and the CP4. ;-)

I like both of them, too, but apart from that they are significantly more expensive, the advantage of the SL88 is also that's quite small. And I prefer the slightly heavier keys of the SL88 over the VPC1.

Well, I bought both a StudioLogic SL88 Grand and a Kawai VPC 1, and came to strongly prefer the VPC 1, which I’m still happy with after having sold the SL88 Grand. It may be just a matter of personal preferences and budget.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Well, I bought both a StudioLogic SL88 Grand and a Kawai VPC 1, and came to strongly prefer the VPC 1, which I’m still happy with after having sold the SL88 Grand. It may be just a matter of personal preferences and budget.

If I may ask, what were your impressions of the SL88 Grand?
So in particular was the velocity from key to key consistent via MIDI or were some keys louder than others given the same pressure applied?
Any build quality issues?
Did the display show any signs of fading or dimming?
Any clicking/knocking keys?

Stuff like that!

Appreciate any insight you can offer.

SteveO

jazzkeys88 wrote:

If I may ask, what were your impressions of the SL88 Grand?
So in particular was the velocity from key to key consistent via MIDI or were some keys louder than others given the same pressure applied?
Any build quality issues?
Did the display show any signs of fading or dimming?
Any clicking/knocking keys?

Well, these are just notes from my own personal experience with the StudioLogic (Fatar) SL88 Grand and the Kawai VPC 1. Although I strongly prefer the VPC 1, I generally like Fatar and their keyboards, and disliked Kawai’s early attempts at MIDI pianos/controllers and found them sluggish and frustrating (Kawai’s modern MIDI keyboards are greatly improved).

The SL88 (nicely) has triple sensors, but the velocity response varied too much from key to key, with some of them being a lot “hotter” (louder under similar finger pressure) than others. This issue can be addressed with the SL88 MIDI editor software, of which there is a version for Windows and Apple Mac (but not Linux, which I use). Kawai’s computer software is also available for only Windows/Mac and not Linux, but I found it entirely rudimentary and unnecessary.

The keyboard of the VPC1, with its long, solid wood keys, offset balance rail (between black and white keys), and general heft and inertia, feels much more like an acoustic piano than the keyboard of the SL88 Grand.

The metal case/covering of the SL88 is fairly thin and not rigid, and can deform somewhat over time with even a relatively minor weight of a laptop computer or computer keyboard and mouse placed on top of it, and juding from photos of the action I’m not sure exactly what causes the following, but part of the case seems to be very close to and contact part of the action under weight, causing a few keys to make a sound or even stick a little. This issue persisted (for me) even after the weight was removed from the case.

The keys of the SL88 Grand seem cheaper, lighter (the wood sides are only a thin veneer on a plastic key, included for appearance only), and more prone to wiggle or move than those of the VPC 1, although the VPC 1 does incorporate a standard (for acoustic pianos) pin and felt-covered hole technique to anchor the middle of the keys, which allows a little (predictable, solid) movement, which I found preferable. The matte surface of the SL88 keys feels good (helps prevent finger slippage), but is somewhat soft plastic that fairly quickly wears and becomes shiny and slicker with use.

I liked the onboard display of the SL88 and its very versatile MIDI configurability, and regarded that as an asset.

I think that the SL88 is a great bargain and a nice keyboard at that price. I think that the VPC 1 is more well-designed from the point of view of a person who prefers acoustic pianos, and more naturally or traditionally responsive to finger pressure and strokes. Both have their advantages I suppose.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (25-02-2018 14:31)
--

Thank you Stephen for the sensitive review!

Are you sure that the wood parts of the SL88 keys are only a veneer? If yes I would really feel cheated.
Here you can see an exploded view of the RD 2000 keyboard from Roland, as a comparison: https://digitalpianobestreview.com/tag/...vs-rd-800/
But since there might be two reasons for using real wood in a digital piano except for decoration, one is the particular stiffness of wooden keys, the other the distribution of weight in the keys, the design of the RD 2000 actually could make sense (and then also this kind of "veneer" in the SL88).

I have the Studiologic SL88 editor software running in Wine under Linux, seems to work except for some crashes here and there, but as I've not yet bought an SL88 I can't say how it will work with the actual hardware attached.

May I also point you again to the FAQ from Lachnit (Piano action versus keyboard action. Which one is better?), see: http://www.flkeys.at/FLKFaqEng.html
where they have some interesting points about a "piano-like" keyboard like the VPC1 versus a more "optimized" keyboard for a digital setup, and why the decided to go for the Fatar variant.

erik

@eriks

No, I’m not absolutely positive that the keys are not solid wood, rather than thin pieces glued to the sides of the plastic keys on the TP40 Wood action of the SL88 Grand. It’s just the impression I got from various photos, videos and descriptions of the keyboard action online. I didn’t open the case and remove the action from my own SL88 Grand to examine it closely.

I was never able to get the editor software to connect to the MIDI keyboard even under Wine, in Linux Mint (XFCE edition). It’s nice that you are able to do so.

Best wishes—

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (26-02-2018 16:42)
--

The wood seems to be a solid slab sandwiched between the plastic key mechanism (bottom) and the ivory feel stuff on the top and front. So not a veneer, but not exactly a functional part, and apparently limited to the white keys. Seems to be there just for mass, preventing a hollow plastic feel/sound, and appearance from the side. The decidedly limited role the wood plays in the action was the main reason I hadn't really rushed out to buy one of these, but in use here it plays nicely and feels reassuringly solid to me.

For whatever it's worth, I haven't felt the need to dive into key-specific editing yet. If there is velocity response variation, it's in the ballpark enough for me not to notice. This is an improvement over my old Stage 88's TP40, which had one notably "hot" C Sharp. I also haven't had any deformation issues with 2 other metal-cased Studiologic boards...I'll let you know if anything comes up with this one. My display looks good enough I thought it was OLED at first (and this is a lightly used board) but honestly it'll have to get pretty bad for me to take any notice; no plans to watch movies on it

If you were debating the piano-specific authenticity of an SL88 vs the longer-fulcrumed all-wood action of a VPC1 and the price and size wasn't an issue, I don't think anyone would steer you away from the Kawai. I needed something to drive Logic VIs and fit into a studio desk, so that wasn't really ideal for me.

Thank you Stephen for your detailed review. I was just thinking the other day how after playing professionally for 40+ years in all sorts of venues, many of them with horrid pianos (which always seemed to be freshly painted white lol !)  I/we, as pianists have finally reached the point where we are discussing the escapement design of a keybed. I find that extremely cool and something I couldn't have ever imagined back in the 70's when I was lugging a Rhodes and RMI piano around. We have come a long way....

Thank you eriks for the links to the RD2000 keybed design and also to DefaulT for your input as well.

I think I'm going to head to B&H in NYC and give the StudioLogic a try. They seem to be the only place that has one on display along with RD2000 and others. I live on Eastern Long Island so it's a 2 hour car ride for me but I'll take the wife's soccer mom special minivan just in case I buy. I have 3 Sam Ashes and I think 4 Guitar Centers close to me an none of them have the SL88 Grand on display. Even an old fart like me (57yo) can see the writing on the wall that brick and mortar music stores are going the way of the dinosaur. Very sad IMHO.

I'm leaning toward the RD2000 though mostly because Roland has been good to me over the years and I have had little to no problems with their gear, all kinds of gear, even when gigging and on the road. They also have a great support system where I can buy parts which is a plus. It's not rocket science fixing these things as long as parts are procurable.

Anybody else want to weigh in?

Last edited by jazzkeys88 (01-03-2018 02:41)
SteveO

Thanks for your post. How is the interface? I always love using Yamaha because of the way I can just plug into Mac and it just works, no installing driver sort of thing needed. How was it to connect SL88 with your computer? Thanks in advance for the info.

The SL88 seems to be MIDI-over-USB class compliant; I have the editor installed now, but if I remember correctly, it didn't install any drivers. Should pretty much "just work" on any Mac you plug it into.

That said, Logic doesn't seem happy if the board is unplugged or power cycled during a session. Whereas my previous controller would just come back up with a system message informing a new MIDI input had been added, the SL seems to stay offline until Logic is restarted. Not a big concern for me...especially since I'm currently running it on bus power rather than the wall plug.

I will also add that the SL Editor is a touch finicky; I had to guess at which connection setup would allow the app to connect to the keyboard successfully (SL Grand Port 2, in my case), and it does not like my Wacom tablet. It seems straightforward enough in use, the custom velocity curves are nice to handle in the keyboard rather than in each software instrument. I found that a curve somewhere between the "normal" and "hard" settings felt about right to me, with every key uniformly balanced downward 4% or so as I found a full 127 value a little too easy to reach (I believe this is often the case for midi controllers and software instruments. 127 should be the ABSOLUTE LOUDEST NOTE YOU'LL EVER HIT and thus should not be reached regularly).

I use also a SL88Grand since 1.5 years. Had a Kronos 73X bevore.
I comment as a "non trained" Piano player playing for hobby relaxing purposes only.
Though i play almost daily an hour or so Piano with Pianoteq. Beeing otherwise at home at experimental electronic music works.

sorry, be warned, my comments came out VERY long:
(people interested to test one in a shop: please read the first three sentences.)

_i went for the SL88Grand as it is quasi the same size/width as a Kronos 73. No chance to place the VPC1 herenwhich i liked to have.
_I was shocked in the first minutes when i played my new SL88Grand. It soundet crappy compared to my Kronos! still had my Kronos, just switched them on the table.
so be warned if you test a SL88Grand in the shop ! --->
_I HAD to do some kalibration with the inclouded software Editor tool to get the SL88Grand sound good.
( edit: wait, must have been another tool, not the editor. there must be also a calibration tool )
The calibration prozedure was a little bit strange IIRC as i endet up in a setting that looked slightly odd to me.
was the low-high weighting or something like this IIRC

_Since then am i VERY HAPPY with the Keybed. Feels for Piano much better than the Kronos did in regards to Velocity and in regards to not playing unwanted "dead notes" ( notes triggered to soft by the finger so that they don´t trigger a sound).
As Pianoteq is showing the played velocity Values it was easily recognisable how much better the velocity action of the SL88Grand is vs. my Kronos 73X ( i used to play Pianoteq also with the kronos. only Pinaoteq ! which was the reason to switch to 88 Keys and let the Kronos go)

_QC control Issues ? I have on mine !
my board has since first day a problem: it is quasi permanently sending out midi CC11.
so i had to deactivate the far left controller but it is sending out now nevertheless.
This IS a problem here, but just when i map midiCC controllers in ableton Live. Otherwise its not
So i have to switch of the SL88 every time i want to map some midi Ccontroler to midi CCs in Live.
Need to ship it back to Germany one day.
_But then, and thats another "issue": The Cartonage is not strong enough for the board to be shipped with a good feel of security ! .....my one was massively taped by DHL when it got here

_The software editor/programmer feels at some point also just cheap. love less donne job from some underpayed external guys me thinks.
But the given functionality of the editor is quite good for some things. absolutely a thumbs up in the endsum.

_special tipps fo experimental purposes:
what i do for example is:
i reprogramm the pitch of the lowest keys within my SL88 Editor by using 3 of the 4 parts of the multitimbral setup of the keybed.
the lowest key, A, and the second lowest A# are each set to a own prt/channel and reprogrammed in pitch.
A0 becomes E0, A#0 becomes G#. This way do i get a low third and a low fifth when playing in C#m key, which i mostoften do.
Together with some Tone reprogramming in Pianoteq Pro do i get fantastic sounding low notes out !
its awesome to have a somehow extended keyrange with this simple trick.
makes a difference for what i do with a Piano.

_As pianoteq does not offer onbaord pitch reprogramming in semitones per key and that scala file thing never worked out on my mac for me, was the SL88Grand by coinsidence the door to that trick.
right now would this "pitch reprogrammtrick" alone be a main thing for me when i had to decide on a new Board

_yes, i have 1-2 very slightly klinky keys, but its nothing compared with the Kronos. really
_the acoustic sound of the keybed, resonances, is louder than the Kronos was, and is in the Loudness range where i have to begin to be concerned *here in my Appartement* which has NO noise insulation vs. Neighbours. Me playing often at Night !
_installation, connection to a mac is plug and play. never had issues.
_i sometimes use USB and Din-midi at same time. all great. Love it
_the three joysticks became btw. a VERY useable feature for me since i have now also Ableton live ( beside the CC11 piss issue ).
i find their feel good enough and the concept a good compromise ( some springloaded, some not)
the positioning is perfect for me. i mapped them quite often to control some FX in live. now nomore since the CC11 piss has become stronger. thats the drawback. need to send it back some day ( but i use it daily )

can´t recommed the SL88Grand enough to those who want to have a "good" 88 keybed,
but are at same time into electronic music making.
_another thing, i can place my mac trackpad and keys plus mouse so fricking perfectly nice, just directly behind the keys,
this has had HUGE impact that i can love to work with a computer again.
not possible with any workstation or such. never had a better computer control ergonomie

Last edited by Funky40 (03-03-2018 04:50)

I recently purchased an SL88Grand and I have to say that I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I have used Korg SV1, Kurzweil PC2, Kurzweil Forte SE, & Fantom X8 (my personal favorite of all) in the past. When I started looking for a new stage controller for Pianoteq & Komplete 11 (via Reaper Live), I wasn't sure if I would find something affordable with the features. I needed part workstation, part stage piano, part software controller. The RD2000 came close as combination of controls, decent sounds, & keybed feel. The Roland DS88/FA08 were decent for the money but the keybed left a few things to be desired. Yamaha Montage & CP4 both a bit overpriced for what they are and the keybeds were too heavy (We have a yamaha C7 grand; it feels lighter). Didn't like either Kronos or Grandstage for my purposes.

Most of the controllers on the market only allow you to control 1 midi channel at a time. Love that I can do 4 simultaneously on the SL88. I wanted a few onboard controls.  The 3 onboard X/Y sticks are great. Still getting used to the velocity possibilities but the the keybed with pianoteq & alicia's keys on kontakt just feel right.  Live I can layer 4 sounds over 4 midi channels and control them with the multifunction button. Love that you can assign different pedals to each channel if you like.  The last month of using this setup has been great.  If anyone has a velocity curve setting for their SL88 Grand for pianoteq, I'd love to share it.

Last edited by revp01 (13-04-2018 04:31)

Thanks for the research and info! I am considering to buy the SL73 (when it comes out) as a second USB (master) keyboard. Using the Roland A800 Pro until now as such I keep missing the (piano)key action.... ;-) regards, @b

Thank you Funky40 and revp01. Very useful information indeed and thank you for taking the time to document your experiences. It's a tough decision for me. I'm going to find a local place that has a StudioLogic SL88 Grand on display and give it a try. I've already played several RD2000 and like the action as well as the layout. The question is, $2500 vs $900 or so USD.

SteveO

For n-th time I mention on various places - if you like RD-2000 action, the same one is also found in cheaper FP-90. You lose all the sliders and pretty lights, though.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

For n-th time I mention on various places - if you like RD-2000 action, the same one is also found in cheaper FP-90. You lose all the sliders and pretty lights, though.

It think the sliders and built in sounds in the RD2000 make it worth the difference in price between it and the FP-90. I can put them to use where the speakers are useless to me. So it comes down to if I'm gonna go double the price between the SL88 Grand and FP-90 I might as well just spring for the RD2000 and call it a night.

SteveO

Yes, you make a good point. If you need the controllers, it's obvious where to go (and by extension, RD-2000 is a better controller since it allows for more than 4 parts that SL-Grand has). If only action is of importance, then FP-90 makes sense financially (that's what I was getting at).

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Yes, you make a good point. If you need the controllers, it's obvious where to go (and by extension, RD-2000 is a better controller since it allows for more than 4 parts that SL-Grand has). If only action is of importance, then FP-90 makes sense financially (that's what I was getting at).

Understood. I appreciate your input on this one!

SteveO

If you'd like to see the TP40/Wood action in action (though here the version modified by Lachnit with the light sensors), have a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjGfjB4fyc

eriks wrote:

If you'd like to see the TP40/Wood action in action (though here the version modified by Lachnit with the light sensors), have a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjGfjB4fyc

Thank you! That was interesting indeed.

SteveO

Another option i'd like to suggest (and still cheaper than RD2000) from my current setup is to get an SL88GRAND and a NEKTAR P1 controller, if you use a DAW or MainStage live.

I run backing tracks & VSTis live in Reaper. The P1 has been great for transport control, layer controls, automatic parameter assignments have been amazing.  Between the X/Y sticks on the SL88 and the Faders/Buttons/Knobs on the P1, I think I have live control covered.

Last edited by revp01 (13-04-2018 04:39)

Studiologic SL88 has only wooden WHITE KEYS doesn't it?
The VPC1 has all wooden keys as far as I know (since I only own the VPC1 and love it).

Just in case if it's true and makes a difference to know....

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

@eriks

I was never able to get the editor software to connect to the MIDI keyboard even under Wine, in Linux Mint (XFCE edition). It’s nice that you are able to do so.

Best wishes—

On Linux Mint 19.2 (Cinnamon) I can get the Studiologic SL Editor to run (under Wine 4.0.2) and connect, and can change some of the settings (on an SL73 in my case), but not the key balance - because it tries to display an alert indicating that changing this setting is global.

Actually, any time an alert tries to pop up (e.g. "waiting for connection", or to confirm something), the SL Editor crashes. I suspect that all that is needed is to install the right user interface component(s). A related quirk is having to run the SL Editor three times before it will connect: by the third attempt Wine's midi driver is good to go and the SL Editor  does not have to "wait for a connection" and hence does not need to pop up the alert box.

Have you (or anyone reading :-) by any chance had any luck with the Studiologic SL Editor on Linux Mint (or other distro), specifically being able to see those alerts and change the KEY-BALANCE under SL TOUCH ?

Hi I am new here. Thanks for all your reviews. Great information. I am wondering if the SL88 will work for an aggressive Gospel-Rock style?
THank you

DefaultIT wrote:

Hey guys,

I had some trouble finding in depth information on the SL88, and since you guys seem to be pretty serious about controllers around here, I thought I'd post a few things I'd been wondering about, now that I have one. This is the first week, and I'll try to update if as I find out more or anything changes;

• It feels great. I hadn't been able to try one before buying (no one in CA seems to stock them) and the closest I'd been able to get was going back and forth between an A-88 and VPC1 at one of the big box stores. I'm not all that impressed by the wood since it seems more like slabs on top of the normal TP40 action (thus all the mechanical parts are plastic and metal - and they don't line up with the keycaps in the rear) but the end result feels nice enough me to call it a noticeable tactile improvement over the TP100LR in the Acuna I'm replacing...which did at least make up in accuracy what it lacked in raw feel.

• Triple sensors are noticeable. I had my doubts here, but there are grace notes in Lizst and repetitions in Shostakovich pieces I (sorta) know that are markedly more reliable for me on this than anything i've owned prior

• The action is pretty quiet. Few people mention this...and  I think the Acuna was particularly bad (lots of thump, resonating loudly from the metal bottom) but this is MUCH better and at least on par with if not better than other boards I've had.

• There is indeed note-off / release velocity. Another hard bit of info to find.

• The 'Ivory Touch' keycaps are a lot better than I expected. It's not a molded-in texture like Roland's but a nice matte finished, dense-feeling plastic/composite with very subtle mottling. Much nicer under hand than shiny plastic; I hadn't payed it a second thought after reading product info but I'm admittedly rather glad to have it.

• The main damper jack does not seem capable of continuous input (at least not with the pedal I have) but any of the jacks can ben assigned to any controller output, so I was easily able to use one of the expression jacks. There are a 5 inputs in total, so it seems pretty flexible.

• The control sticks (pitch mod, etc) are very flexible in capability but seem likely to be problematic in use. They are small, with precious little travel and a pronounced dead spot in the center for the spring-loaded axes (nearly impossible to sweep through it without pause).  I haven't gotten into tuning or calibration yet so that may be fixable.

• It is surprisingly compact. Shallower front-to-back than my Acuna, and with less rise behind the keys (even with the sticks and control knob). The end caps are the thinnest i've seen on any 88

• I think I can confirm the temporal aftertouch separation (values will not register within some number of milliseconds following a key strike) which I'm sure will bother some, but I've never been able to use AT gracefully anyway.

• Importantly, I have no QC issues. Keys all seem uniform, quiet, and stable. No rattles, clunks, stickiness, slow or irregular spots. There's a fair bit of negative feedback floating around for this model and I'm pleased to say mine shows no signs of corroborating any of it. As far as I can tell, it's built like a tank.

So... I'm quite happy thus far. My plan is to use it for a few weeks at least to make sure the action is one I can live with for a while, then build it into studio desk 2.0 (the current one is due for serious upgrading), at which point I'll likely open it up (plans are ambitious) and will try to post some pics. I held off getting one of these for a while due to the mixed reviews, finally jumping in because I found a cheap one. I wish I hadn't waited; it slides easily into the top spot among the boards I've owned. Any questions let me know

I've read posts on some forums where people were concerned the 3rd action sensor was not very functional, based on playing and midi data. Has anyone else noticed this, having trouble playing very fast or repeated notes where the 3rd sensor comes into play?

PaptainClanet wrote:

I've read posts on some forums where people were concerned the 3rd action sensor was not very functional, based on playing and midi data. Has anyone else noticed this, having trouble playing very fast or repeated notes where the 3rd sensor comes into play?

The key is reacting if I only lift it half way and press again.

eriks wrote:

The key is reacting if I only lift it half way and press again.

Thank you for confirming. This is how my Casio PX-130 behaves as well. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker as I'm no virtuoso pianist.

Could you, or anyone else that has it, measure the key travel when pressed all the way down? I've heard it is long compared to other controllers, but I'm curious by how much.

Eriks, did you buy the MK23?