Topic: Recreate sound of "Nils Frahm - Some"

Hi.

Any tips on how to try and match the sound of piano in the piece "Some" with Nils Frahm?

Re: Recreate sound of "Nils Frahm - Some"

I listened to the opening half minute of the Nils Frahm video and have these general statements to make:

The "action noise" is turned up very high in this electronic piano.  Whenever he releases a note, you can certainly hear the "wooden clacking" noise of the sampled piano.

Next, one hears a very prominent (i.e., too much) "hissing" sound when the damper pedal is depressed. Then there is additional damping pedal noise when the pedal is released.  This reminds me of the old Garritan Steinway sample set.  Regardless of whose set it really is, the pedal hiss is greatly exaggerated in this video.

There seems to be a great deal of compression applied to the sound, especially in the lowest two octaves of the keyboard.  His first three chords are G minor, F major and the C major, followed by a soft lowest C note.  For as softly as he looks to be playing (and because the overtones are less than what comes a few moments later), the piano has a lot of bass and it sustains like crazy -- evidence of compression.  Evidence he is playing softly is that the crazy damper pedal hiss is clearly heard about 1/3rd of a second after he hits each of these three chords.

I did not try to emulate this sound in Pianoteq, but would suspect turning up the noise in the action and damper pedals.  Then EQ the sound with a shelf EQ curve to accentuate the bass, and turn up the compression.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks, interesting comments. I am a newbie with pianoteq and software pianos in general so the feedback is very helpful.

I also noticed the high action noise and sound of the damper felt (I presume) moving. Thought it was due to strategic placement of microphones, but of course it might be an electric piano as you say.

Anyway I think these "action" generated parts of the sound is a bit "too exaggerated" to my taste. I am more interested in the actual sound of the piano strings. Somehow it seems like even playing softly the bass is very prominent and sustains for a long time.

I will try your suggestions in pianoteq and see how it turns out.

BTW, you mention a video - do you have a link? I have only found video covers.

Another comment - I see Nils Frahm sells a book (http://www.nilsfrahm-sheets.com/zwei.html) and in the information it states that it contains information on how to set up your piano to make it a "una corda" piano.

INSTRUCTIONS TO BUILD YOUR OWN UNA CORDA PIANO
SHEETS ZWEI includes illustrated instructions to turn every piano into an Una Corda piano which Nils developed recently together the piano builder David Klavins. Based on the shown tricks the tone of a usual instrument can have the character of the Una Corda piano, which due to its construction has a particularly warm and pure sound. Winsome diagrams from Berlin-based artist Paul Paetzel decorate the directions.

Maybe that is a hint on how to replicate his sounds digitally as well?