Topic: Bb1 is making an usual sound

My Bb1 key is producing an unusual 'twangy' effect. No other key has this problem. I am hearing it when listening with either my headphones or my computer speakers. I switched between many instruments as well as turning off all modifications so I'm playing at stock settings but the problem still persists.

Here's how it sounds: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.php?file=Bb1.mp3
(Steinway D Prelude, no modifications, using custom velocity curve)

Could anyone help me out? Thanks

Re: Bb1 is making an usual sound

I can hear what you mean I think - it sounds brighter and more metallic than the neighbouring notes. (and I can reproduce it with my copy of Pianoteq too)  The sound itself doesn't sound unusual or bad in any way to me.  I do know that on real pianos, each note sounds a bit different to the other, but I don't know whether the extent to which this particular note stands out is "wrong". 

Greg.

Is it possible that your controller developed a problem and sends a significantly higher velocity o  that key?
Maybe check with other vsts too, or use a generated midi file in pianoteq with a scale played at the same velocity for every note and see if the problem persists.

mcoll: I can reproduce it just using the virtual keyboard in Pianoteq, so that rules out a problem with the physical keyboard. (assuming I'm hearing the same artifact - I'm confident I am)

Greg.

skip wrote:

mcoll: I can reproduce it just using the virtual keyboard in Pianoteq, so that rules out a problem with the physical keyboard. (assuming I'm hearing the same artifact - I'm confident I am)

Greg.

It was worth excluding that hypothesis

I tried a number of Model D presets and most have a twangy Bb1 (tested with built-in virtual keyboard).   I'd say this is a feature of the Model D.

Hello All,

Both notes B-Flat 1 and B Natural 1 have this overtone present when the note is struck with high note-on velocity.  The feature is clearly not there at note A1.  I confirm this sound is present on the rest of the Steinway D presets.

So, "What is it?"
I hear the sonic artifact as a high A-flat sounding as Ab5 when note Bb1 is struck hard.  The interval of a Seventh, sounding some four octaves higher than the fundamental tone, suggests this is an accentuation of the Seventh Harmonic. This is why piano designers usually design, or scale the strike point (at least in the lowest octaves) to hit the string at the node measuring approximately one-seventh of the way along the string -- so as to "avoid" the very sonic artifact that is being heard here.  Opinions vary from manufacturer to manufacturer regarding scaling the strike to hit as close to 1/7th in lower strings, but this is not always possible to execute in real life, either.

I tried downwardly adjusting the 7th harmonic in the first page, but to no avail.  This characteristic seems to be inherent in Modartt's emulation of the Steinway Model D piano.  As of this writing, I did not go into Pianoteq PRO's editing window to modify the strike point only of these two notes. 

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Joe

EDIT:
For sake of completeness in this argument, when one strikes the adjacent B1, the artifact also sounds a semitone higher (at A5).  Ironically, the artifact is contained in only these two notes:  When C2 is struck hard, its closest overtone is ALSO heard as note A5 instead of A#5.  Interesting. 
End Edit.

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (16-01-2018 21:33)

Glad my ears aren't broken since you guys hear it as well. Maybe I'll call Steinway HQ and say pianoteq is disgracing their name. Just kidding . Although I'll never be able to unhear this metallic ringing sound whenever I play a Bb1.

dagife wrote:

My Bb1 key is producing an unusual 'twangy' effect. No other key has this problem. I am hearing it when listening with either my headphones or my computer speakers. I switched between many instruments as well as turning off all modifications so I'm playing at stock settings but the problem still persists.

Welcome dagife to the Pianoteq user forum.

What you are hearing are overtones coming from the longitudinal modes of the strings. Longitudinal modes are vibrations propagating parallel to the strings (they are thus almost invisible). The fundamental of those vibrations ranges typically between 12 and 18 times the fundamental of the transverse vibrations (which build the main tone), and its frequency does not depend on the tension of the string (it won't change if you detune the string). It depends though on its length.

It is very common on real pianos for those longitudinal modes to be significantly irregular, both in pitch progression and in volume. When modelling a given piano, we do leave such irregularities between notes, although we usually attenuate them a little. How much irregular it should be is of course a matter of taste. In the Pianoteq PRO version, it is possible to adjust the overtones by editing the spectrum note per note (in that case, you need to find out which overtones are concerned, and lower those).

I too had noticed this unfortunately pronounced overtone in Stein D's Bb1.

The problem is even more pronounced on K2 C2

I would suggest that Pianoteq attenuate these by default in Stage and Standard, and let the Pro guys increase it if they want.  In a real piano, a tech would try to eliminate this.

Steve

Last edited by steve200 (19-01-2018 18:43)

steve200 wrote:

In a real piano, a tech would try to eliminate this [pronounced overtone].

Steve

Hello Steve,

As a piano tech, my only recourse would be to modify the shape and hardness of the offending hammer.  (But I almost know ahead of time this will not correct the problem.) Why?  That's because I can NOT modify the length of the given bass string in a real acoustic grand piano; I am not in a position to change strings (because a new one would have to be ordered, and its speaking length would still be the same -- and it would be musical suicide to guess an alternate string composition or mass that would be any better); I can NOT vary the strike point along a single string to any extent that would modify the overtone.

In the specific case of note Bb1, there is an outside possibility the is a two-string note, in which case I might try blocking off the most offending string of the two, and working with the other string to tame the offending overtone; but then the volume of the remaining string might be insufficient to carry the tone for two strings. 

Although I do not recommend what I am about to say:  One might try modifying the strike of the hammer such that it only hits the less-offending string (in a two-string note Bb1), and rely on sympathetic vibration to excite the offending note, without striking it with the hammer.

Hope this gives some insight.  In reality, if what is being heard occurs on a real grand piano, one must suppose that this is but one of the many compromises a piano designer must live with, when setting the scale of any piano design to meet a given price point.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S.  The one case that might be corrected would be if the offending bass string had a twist in it.  Then, I would have to replace the offending string with a new one of the same specification.  Please note, however, a twisted string might give a different sonic artifact than the offensive overtone you have noted.

Fascinating. 

But, as a technician, wouldn't you want to eliminate this if you could

If so, why subject virtual users to it, when it is easily corrected?  The Pianoteq approach is that you can adjust this if you pay very much money for the Pro version. 

But to me, I think a better approach would be for the less expensive products to sacrifice some of the realism in favor of sounding more beautiful.  Let the realism be added with Pro parameters.

I say this while still being a very appreciative and supportive Pianoteq user.  I am in awe of the product and the wizards that created it.

steve

Last edited by steve200 (19-01-2018 20:17)

steve200 wrote:

Fascinating. 

But, as a technician, wouldn't you want to eliminate this if you could

steve

To answer your direct question, as a technician ...  Yes, I would want to eliminate this artifact, if I could.

Cheers,

Joe

And as a lover of pop music, I would want all the notes to sound as *good* as that Bb1.

Greg

steve200 wrote:

I would suggest that Pianoteq attenuate these by default in Stage and Standard, and let the Pro guys increase it if they want.  In a real piano, a tech would try to eliminate this.

Steve

I agree. Indeed, Pianoteq is revered for its realistic piano modeling but not to sound patronizing but I don't think any piano VST provider would want to advertise being so realistic that a note or two will have a displeasing ring to it just like how real pianos could have. Don't get me wrong though, I am very much enjoying Pianoteq and I look forward to buying other instrument packs but my friendly criticism still stands.

Obviously I can only speak for myself but I'd argue that the majority of Pianoteq users would prefer to not have this piercing sound present in the Steinway instruments. Just like how I'd imagine most wouldn't want to hear it in a real instrument either. Here's hoping that Pianoteq developers can "fix" this sort-of problem without needing Pro.

Changing the length of a line in the "pro" version can shift the longitudinal mode?

I assume - maybe naively - that S&S auditioned the Pianoteq version of the D and thought it was close enough to the sound of a particular instrument that was used for the modelling, or what they know the sound of a typical D to be, to allow their name to be used by Modartt. I also believe that most pianists on this forum want to be able to say - to themselves and others -  "without buying a real SteinwayD, this is the nearest at present to what one sounds like." (I respect those who take advantage of the tweaks available to create instruments that cannot exist in hardware form)

Now S&S either provided/allowed a less than average instrument - to keep a software version safely below the sound of their instruments*, but quite close, or the average D does sound like this. I have played Ds in the past, but cannot hold in my memory that level of detail.  If the average D does have this characteristic ex factory, then there must be a way of prepping them for professional concert use. If pianists on the forum are troubled by it, and I assume they are not all first tier concert pianists, then 1st tier concert pianists would also be troubled by it and S&S technicians would fix it.

I personally hear the note in question to be slightly harsher than those nearby, but with similar characteristics and am quite happy to play an instrument that approaches the sound of a D but which may not have been expertly prepped to suit a tier 1 concert pianist. (If that is indeed the case) I can tweak the sound somewhat in any case and do what all pianists do apart from those touring the world's concert venues: adjust my touch for notes that don't quite mesh with their neighbours.

* I worked in the food industry: the quality of all manfacturer's products were kept slightly above the 'private label' versions they also produced for supermarket own label products.

I don't think this is an issue of satisfying S&S demand for realism with respect to a particular piano.

I say that because this problem is even more pronounced in Pianoteq's K2 piano, in note C2.  Have a listen.

My understanding is that K2 is a pure model, not based on any real piano.  There is no corresponding real piano that has that bad note.

I can't begin to speak for Philippe.  He has vast knowledge about this, and I have little.    But, my take on Philippe's response is that Pianoteq has a model they believe captures a piano.  The model makes notes with those pronounced overtones.  They consider that to be a "pure" and "correct" model, and so that is how it sounds, by default.

But in the end, as a consumer, this is simple:  these notes sound bad, and I don't think it is either fair or good marketing to expect me to upgrade from $150 Stage to $500 Pro to correct it.

I'll add that in blues piano, the root bass note, often Bb1 or C2, is prominently played, so these excess overtones are particularly noticeable in that context.

steve

Last edited by steve200 (22-01-2018 17:57)

We will make some adjustments to K2 and Steinway D in the forthcoming release.

If you allow me to make a comment: those twangy notes are not imposed by the physical model that we use, they are there just because the pianos that served as references had them, and sometimes even much more pronounced (If you listen for example to some Horowitz recordings, you will notice some enormous buzzy/twangy notes, not all notes though). When it is too pronounced (the meaning of that being of course a pure matter of taste), we attenuate them. The most difficult is to find the sweet spot that makes as much as possible everyone happy, which is what we try to achieve during the beta tests. Some people like twangy notes, some people want it more calm...

Philippe,

Thanks very much for your consideration of this issue.  I understand there are many constraints you are trying to satisfy!   Upcoming changes appreciated!

steve

A while back it was pointed out to me that the twanginess that cycles on and off during a long-held note is the audible manifestation of a vibrating string that might have started oscillating with an up-down motion, then precessing to a side-side motion, and then back again.  As one who's plucked a more than a few taut rubber bands in my childhood and seen this happen (and heard it), it makes sense to me a a potential cause for some of this sound 'artifact' (and I hear it on some notes on my real piano).  Philippe, does this hold in Pianoteq?

- David

dklein wrote:

A while back it was pointed out to me that the twanginess that cycles on and off during a long-held note is the audible manifestation of a vibrating string that might have started oscillating with an up-down motion, then precessing to a side-side motion, and then back again.  As one who's plucked a more than a few taut rubber bands in my childhood and seen this happen (and heard it), it makes sense to me a a potential cause for some of this sound 'artifact' (and I hear it on some notes on my real piano).  Philippe, does this hold in Pianoteq?

This can happen too, but it is not what was pointed here. Here the things you are hearing are the longitudinal modes, which can be very loud in some cases (see details in my first post). Controlling those modes for the piano manufacturer is a difficult task, particularly regarding the cupper wound strings. For example, their pitch from note to note can be quite irregular: although it goes usually increasing, it can happen that it decreases from one note the next one a semitone higher.

Philippe,

If you don't mind, I thought it best I mention that the problem I am highlighting is most significant at ff.  At that velocity, Steinway D Bb1 and K2 C2 are dominated by the overtone.  It is almost hard to hear the primary. 

best,
steve

steve200 wrote:

Philippe,

If you don't mind, I thought it best I mention that the problem I am highlighting is most significant at ff.  At that velocity, Steinway D Bb1 and K2 C2 are dominated by the overtone.  It is almost hard to hear the primary. 

best,
steve

You are right, this happens too on a real piano, those longitudinal modes get often relatively stronger in the ff-fff range.  Note that we will reduce them slightly but won't kill them, they do give character to the piano sound when playing fff: you do want that something happens when playing fff, not just getting louder.

As a side note, I recommend that you calibrate your keyboard in such a way that you really need to put a lot of energy to reach the ff-fff range, as on a real acoustic piano. On many digital keyboards, it is much too easy to reach the velocity 127, which corresponds to a huge smashing on an acoustic piano.

Great point, Phillipe!  Though I feel that this is easier said than done.

In my case I am using a real piano keyboard with a QRS MIDI strip attached.  I should be able to teach it that it's really hard to get to fff, but even on my real piano when the stop bar is left out, there's just only so loud it will play even if I really whack it.

I feel a "Spinal Tapp" moment coming on...:

"When you're really giving it your all, and you just want that 'extra push'...Where do you go?  127....That's why our amplifiers go to 127!"

Just kidding (sort-of!).

- David

I quite like the individual character of the notes. Definitely how real pianos behave and it adds to the realism of the Pianoteq model. Had a listen to just the higher harmonics in the Pro version of the note and ones near it, and it definitely has a lot more going on at ff up. But like I say, to me that's definitely the sort of thing I expect from and enjoy in a realistic piano.

dagife & steve200, I did a quick & dirty "fix" for you guys; changed the string length and strike point slightly, just for that Bb note, to tame the twang. (To do it "properly" by editing the harmonic profile would be a lot more tricky.) See what you think of the resulting preset, which you can download here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BZdj-...tS8aXNCtbA

This will work in Standard but not in Stage, which does not allow note-by-note edited presets.

steve200 wrote:

I would suggest that Pianoteq attenuate these by default in Stage and Standard, and let the Pro guys increase it if they want.

It's not that easy. It's hard enough to take it out. It's even harder to put it back in. Unless it was explicitly shown as a reshaped harmonic profile, which it wouldn't be if it was part of the basic instrument model.

Last edited by SteveLy (24-01-2018 17:18)
3/2 = 5

A little too "Realistic" ?

Maybe, but the detractors say pianoteq is too "synthetic".

I could argue it either way, i.e.
a) for removal of all the nasty artifacts of wooden pianos wherever possible.
The things that piano designers, builders and technicians would remove if only thy could.

b) Include the "warts and all" of pianos built in traditional ways from traditional materials.
The things that pianoteq detractors usually refer to as "character", incidental mechanical noises are already in.

Compromise is to make them switchable, control to attenuate them down to zero.
OK, so that is in Pro, but I feel it should be in Standard.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
steve200 wrote:

Philippe,

best,
steve

You are right, this happens too on a real piano, those longitudinal modes get often relatively stronger in the ff-fff range.  Note that we will reduce them slightly but won't kill them, they do give character to the piano sound when playing fff: you do want that something happens when playing fff, not just getting louder.

I would vote to leave them as is. For ff-fff notes in that register on a real piano I expect drama to happen. The effect will surely be different in low volume on computer speakers or headphone, but that should not be the standard.

On a more principled note, if you go for realism, go for realism, not for glossy and air-brushed. Or should we expect a new slider, going from ‘realistic’ to ‘dreamy’.