Topic: Headphones amp

Hi,

The sound coming from the headphones output of my focusrite soundcard lacks of punch on my headphones (AKG K702)

I think to put a heaphone amp to increase the power and to improve the sound quality.

Now, I have 2 options:

1° An HIFI type amp that is qualified as "audiophile", like this one:
https://www.amazon.fr/Micromega-Myzic-A...mega+myzic

2° A "Studio" amp, like this one:
https://www.thomann.de/fr/art_headamp_4_pro.htm

Technically (power, impedances....) which one do you think suits the best to be plugged on the outputs of a usb soundcard?

Thanks,
SK

Re: Headphones amp

Strange... what model of Focusrite interface are you using?

Which one, referring to a nominally $150 - $200 hi-fi type or studio type of headphone amp mentioned in the original post? Neither of them are likely satisfy you in the long run.

For almost all of the twelve+ years I have owned my AKG K702's, I plugged them directly into my Apogee Duet Audio interface.  I "thought" the sound was very satisfying, although a little lacking in extreme dynamics and in the lowest bass.  Interestingly, even when the Duet's volume control was set to its maximum value, I wish there was more gain available. I thought I heard everything through the AKG-Apogee Duet combination, but there was some musical information that I had been completely missing through these very revealing headphones. 

Four months ago, I acquired a used Anthem Statement D1 preamp/processor whose retail price was $5000 USD (and its most current model retails for $9500USD) to use with my main sound system.  One of the benefits of this preamp is that it contains a separately controlled- and powered headphone amplifier of very high build quality and circuitry.  Well, Sir, let me tell you:  now these AKG's sound as though they have been given a new lease on life!  The sound is punchier, much more dynamic, and if I choose to emphasize the bass using the D1, one can dial in too much bass in these 'phones.

I had missed the AKG's true potential because I did not use a headphone preamp of high enough build quality, componentry and current/amperage capability. 

So back to your original question, if we would choose between two headphone preamps, each very small and each retailing for less than $200USD, I think you would be missing the boat regarding the sound quality these AKG 702's have the potential of providing you.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S.  "More Expensive" is not necessarily better, but a piece of equipment of build quality and current handling capability costing 25X to 50X more -- "Will" make a difference.  Restated, if you are serious about exploiting the capability of your 702's, a $200 headphone amp is insufficient to satisfy you for any length of time.

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (10-01-2018 18:07)

Hmmm. I use my new AKG 702 either directly into my 2013 MacPro that has a pretty good signal, or into my Roland Duo-Capture Ex MIDI interface or, for listening to music, into a high quality Bryston integrated amp. I don't hear any significant difference between these three, and  since the impedance is rated at 62 ohms, it's not much more difficult to drive than my other pair, the 32 ohms Grado SR-80 I have been using for a long time. Granted, the very low bass is not very present in the AKG (as in the Grado) but I don't really miss it. I would not pay that much money as Joe did just to get more bass, I just have to do as he does and leave my Velodyne 15" powered subwoofer on if desired...

EDIT: Maybe Joe's older AKG are the 300 ohms ones? that would explain everything...

Last edited by Gilles (10-01-2018 18:06)

Gilles wrote:

<..>

EDIT: Maybe Joe's older AKG are the 300 ohms ones? that would explain everything...

Good point, Gilles.

Cheers,

Joe

Luc Henrion wrote:

Strange... what model of Focusrite interface are you using?

A Scarlett 6i6 1st gen.
The sound is +/- ok but I have to put the volume at 3-4 o'clock to have enough power and even at this level, the sound is not full, generous... With an old Roland headphone the sound was heavier at 12 o'clock, but lower in quality.

That is why I am ready to go for an amp at max 200 euros.

jcfelice88keys wrote:

"More Expensive" is not necessarily better, but a piece of equipment of build quality and current handling capability costing 25X to 50X more -- "Will" make a difference.  Restated, if you are serious about exploiting the capability of your 702's, a $200 headphone amp is insufficient to satisfy you for any length of time.

Thank you for the explanation. Sadly, as you can understand, that is totally out of my budget.

However, these small headphone amps have good reviews...

Last edited by stamkorg (10-01-2018 18:43)

I'd suggest you to contact Focusrite... They are usually responsive, maybe they have an answer.

If you are looking for a headphone amp to connect to your audio interface or computer for less than a fortune, the compact Schiit Magni is a reasonably-priced alternative that sounds good to my ears, anyway.

Schiit Magni headphone amplifier at Schiit.com
https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (10-01-2018 22:06)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

I've noticed that folks often tend to think that if they need to turn the volume knob a long way to get sufficient volume, something must be wrong. This isn't the case at all - headphones of different makes & models have WILDLY different sensitivities - there is no "standard" sensitivity. There is no reason whatsoever for not cranking up the headphone output all the way to 100%, if that's what you need to get enough volume. 

At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure the Pianoteq's volume is as high as you can go without clipping, too.

If you can get the volume high enough, but it still doesn't sound the way you want it, you could always try EQing to taste.

If you end up needing an amp, the one I'd try at the moment, for full sized headphones, would be the portable FiiO A5. (I haven't ever tried it, but that's the one I'd try out first)

I've contacted Focusrite in the past about the specs of the headphone output, and I remember thinking it would probably be loud enough for most full sized headphones.

Greg.

Last edited by skip (11-01-2018 03:29)

+1 to "100%" level. Power amps in a typical live setup are nearly always set to 100% also, it's up to the mixer faders to attenuate the level, same here for the headphones output control: it's just a way to put the level down, nothing wrong to let it at 100%.