Topic: 'Best' external reverb for Pianoteq?

Hi,

I have heard a few reports of Pianoteq internal reverb being disabled and using an external reverb (e.g. Valhall Room or QL Spaces) - resulting in very impressive sound.

For those who have tried external reverbs with Pianoteq, I would like to hear their comments on which ones they liked/disliked  etc.

Thanks,
Osho

Re: 'Best' external reverb for Pianoteq?

personally I use either Exponential Audio's Nimbus/R2 or Fabfilter's ProR when playing Pianoteq - depending on the device. On the Surface before using ProR I took the reverb from my Steinberg ur242, but ProR gives you better controls to adjust the reverb and sounds better. In tracktion (or Waveform since this latest version) I made a rack to slightly suppress reverb while playing notes only allowing the full amount of reverb on silence (adjustable ducking - well this is with ProR - Nimbus/R2 have that option built in).

using external reverb also allows me to use other plugins to process the sound of pianoteq before reverb.

hope that helps
best

Last edited by steff3 (06-01-2018 10:22)

I use Samplicity (free) for live playing. Add a small additional ambience via Audacity (Apple AU Matrix reverb) after recording to listen in a different room.

I take no definitive stance as to what the "best" third-party reverb is for Pianoteq or any other virtual instrument, for that matter.  My opinions seem to vary over time between some of the more expensive convolution reverbs such as Altiverb 7 and Waves IR Full, and algorithmic reverbs such as Acon Digital Reverb and Lexicon or Quik-Quak Ray Space. (This list is not limited to only these five products just stated.)

Even within each reverb product, my opinion of what sounds best or most appropriate ... often changes over time.  For example, within Altiverb (very, very good, btw), some days I might prefer Pianoteq's sound with the impulse response of a sampled plate reverb; other days I might select a particular studio; on still other days, I might prefer the impulse response of a small club or a hall, and "almost" never a church or cathedral for a piano.  The one exception for using a wet cathedral sound was several years ago, when I recorded Debussy's "The Engulfed Cathedral."

I have also found it extremely useful to set up more than one auxiliary bus for more than one type of reverb, such that I can use DAW faders in Logic Pro X (pronounced 'ten', not the letter 'X') to capture the early reflections of one space and blend it with longer reverb tails of a different space.

Throughout all of this playing around, I can state confidently that I find NO SINGLE external reverb vendor, nor ANY SINGLE setup or modified preset within any given brand of external reverb -- to which I can define as "best".  Restated, I have never found a reverb that fools my ears (or will fool your ears) into believing I am in the real acoustic space of a piano in a definable room.  At best, every reverb -- regardless of price -- is an approximation of how much we are willing to suspend reality and believe we are hearing the real thing.

I can tell you that from listening to decades of well-recorded commercial piano recordings of all musical genres, some of the nicest sounding recordings of the past seem to have plate reverbs applied to them, even if the use of plate reverbs was not specified in a given album's liner notes.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (06-01-2018 23:21)

Reverb for Pianoteq has always been a fascination with me.  I want something easy and good.

Sometimes I think I have the right sound (Pianoteq + Reverb), then weeks later what I thought sounded
good sounds like rubbish.

I have ValhallaRoom and ValhallaVintageVerb.  Ok, that's great, but you also need the right preset.
I don't have the right preset, at least not yet.  And I would rather spend my time practicing than tweaking reverb.

So now I am using the native Pianoteq reverb ... and it's fine.  But the quest continues.

Hello Mr. Scorpio,

Of course, the quest continues.  Upon re-reading my post, I may have sounded too harsh in my assessment.  Besides, Pianoteq's own reverb is still good and can sound quite satisfactory.

Cheers,

Joe

Maybe try PSP PianoVerb2.
Or FabFilter Pro-R.
Also nice to use Waves Greg Wells PianoCentric.
And if you want to go full out, Zynaptiq Adaptiverb.
Sheer heaven.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

For Valhalla Room I highly recommend following the advice given by its creator in this article:

https://valhalladsp.com/2011/05/25/valh...ert-halls/

Why neither of these are included as presets is beyond me... to my ears they sound far more realistic than what's included. I use these as a baseline, tweaking slightly to taste. I'm quite happy with the results.

My first choice likely would have been PhoenixVerb, but I couldn't stomach their terms or iLok requirement.

For casual playing, using Pianoteq alone, Craig Richards pointed me to "Samplicity Bricasti M7 Impulse Response." I'm using the "IR reverb Gold Hall M-to-S.wav" file loaded directly into Pianoteq. You have to adjust its settings within Pianoteq a bit, but it can sound quite good, not quite as natural as Valhalla though. I like: Mix=-20, Envelope=0, Resampling=100%, Pre-delay=0.016 -- it's free, but I believe it can't be utilized for commercial purposes. http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i...responses/

Importing an IR file into Pianoteq's reverb is certainly worth trying. Here is a good resource: http://www.openairlib.net/ (most of these have Creative Commons licences, many are OK for commercial use, but check to make sure). Experiment with different reverbs and settings (crucially the wet/dry mix) until you find something you like.

If you want a reverb plugin which is very simple (and free) but high quality, try this: https://reverb.com/software/effects/aco...everb-solo - you have to sign up to reverb.com to download it, but they do have a load of other free plugins which may be of interest.

Last edited by dazric (07-01-2018 14:55)

NathanShirley wrote:

For Valhalla Room I highly recommend following the advice given by its creator in this article:

Why neither of these are included as presets is beyond me... to my ears they sound far more realistic than what's included. I use these as a baseline, tweaking slightly to taste. I'm quite happy with the results.

My first choice likely would have been PhoenixVerb, but I couldn't stomach their terms or iLok requirement.

For casual playing, using Pianoteq alone, Craig Richards pointed me to "Samplicity Bricasti M7 Impulse Response." I'm using the "IR reverb Gold Hall M-to-S.wav" file loaded directly into Pianoteq. You have to adjust its settings within Pianoteq a bit, but it can sound quite good, not quite as natural as Valhalla though. I like: Mix=-20, Envelope=0, Resampling=100%, Pre-delay=0.016 -- it's free, but I believe it can't be utilized for commercial purposes. http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i...responses/

This. I tried tons of different reverbs and in the end I always return to Valhalla room. As Nathan point here, use concert hall preset from tips and tricks (Boston and Vienna concert hall), import them in Valhalla (save in text editor and change to Valhalla preset extension) and for piano this is the among the best for my ears. This concert halls from Valhalla room will make any piano vst sounds much better (at least x2) then any piano alone with their reverb. If you want change some parameters to your needs.

Last edited by slobajudge (07-01-2018 17:04)

I like "knock.wav" for Player presets, where I am using just the Pianoteq reverb convolution, turning both the mix and the time down each by 10-16 (my mood seems to vary as to how much 'case ring' I want to hear.  This completely is essential at making my Pianoteq synthetic piano sound like the real piano that I play it upon.

(but I can't remember where I downloaded knock.wav from - I think it's in the files list somewhere)

- David

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

NathanShirley wrote:

I have Stage only - so can't load the Samplicity free IR responses. I will upgrade to Standard/Pro when the next 'good opportunity' arrives . I tried to load one of the Samplicity IR wav files using ReaVerb in Reaper DAW - but the delay was crazy - so stopped using that.

I am demoing Valhalla Room now. I am using the following right now - following the article mentioned above.

<ValhallaRoom pluginVersion="1.5.1" presetName="Default" mix="0.1940000057220459" predelay="0.061599999666213989" decay="0.019019018858671188" HighCut="0.32281878590583801" earlyLateMix="0.5" lateSize="0.60000002384185791" lateCross="0.5" lateModRate="0.090909093618392944" lateModDepth="0.5" RTBassMultiply="0.3333333432674408" RTXover="0.090909093618392944" RTHighMultiply="0.44444447755813599" RTHighXover="0.19395972788333893" earlySize="0.029029028490185738" earlyCross="0.10000000149011612" earlyModRate="0.090909093618392944" earlyModDepth="0" earlySend="1" diffusion="1" type="0.083333335816860199"/>

I really love the sound of this. I think this is significantly better than built-in reverb - which I am turning off now.

One thing I have noticed is that after practicing for couple of hours with 'Valhalla Room reverbed sound' induces a 'listener fatique' in me - is this expected/common? I am thinking to dial down the mix from 19.4 to <10 and only increase it for when recording etc.

Osho

Last edited by oshogg (07-01-2018 21:57)

I got 'listener fatigue' when my speakers were faced straight at me, even when I matched volumes to my real piano.  This went away when I faced them to the ceiling, which also improved, strangely enough, the stereo imaging for the virtual piano (as my real piano isn't as directional as with the two speakers playing straight to me; plus, as I shifted my body, the directionality from the speakers facing me was too precise), but it then lost too much treble.  I fixed this by adding two satellites facing me directly, but reducing their volume to very low.  That gave me my detail back, without the 'listener fatigue'.

- David

Yes, practicing with heavy reverb should generally be avoided -- you need clarity to judge your articulations. This makes sense when you think about it, as classical recordings are generally made from a healthy distance in a reverberant hall. However you as a musician have your head much closer to the instrument when you play, so the sound of playing the music is very different than what the audience hears (or the microphones). Once you're ready to record and listen you can dial the reverb back up to taste.

dklein: What you're describing is interesting too since it sounds like you are trying to recreate a bit of how a piano naturally radiates sound. Much of the stereo effect you hear from an actual piano has a lot to do with how the sound bounces around the room it's in before entering your right vs. left ear. It seems that Pianoteq (and certainly reverb software) is working to model this too... but it's got to be incredibly complex, piano modeling aside.

I agree, NathanShirley.  My dad used to joke that a piano is an 88-element speaker - it's far more, as most unisons are three strings, except for the single bass and the dual low midrange.  Even more complicated, each string's vibration causes the soundboard to resonate as well.

Complicated.  REALLY complicated!

- David

NathanShirley wrote:

Yes, practicing with heavy reverb should generally be avoided -- you need clarity to judge your articulations. This makes sense when you think about it, as classical recordings are generally made from a healthy distance in a reverberant hall.

+1 

of course, one has to as well accommodate one's articulations to the given instrument & acoustic space...
when playing Bach, say, on a modern piano in a very wet & open space, my articulations will be shaped entirely differently (though still retaining their relative motivic/metric placement) than were i playing the same on a harpsichord in a small dry room.  less extreme perhaps, though of the same principle, playing Chopin on the 19th century Pleyel (or Schubert on the Graf, etc) vs any of the modern pianos comes as a revelation precisely in the way in which the instrument's demands for shaping of the articulations informs the musical content itself (and vice versa ).

Matthieu 7:6

dklein wrote:

My dad used to joke that a piano is an 88-element speaker - it's far more, as most unisons are three strings, except for the single bass and the dual low midrange.  Even more complicated, each string's vibration causes the soundboard to resonate as well.

Complicated.  REALLY complicated!

amen!
i'm still thinking on building some sort of custom spruce soundboard-of-sorts in which to embed the up-pointing monitors to (perhaps? ideally?) aid in that "huge" area of sound radiation...

Matthieu 7:6