Topic: Studiologic SL88 Grand Feedback?

Hey,

I am currently looking at picking up Studiologic's SL88 Grand keyboard. Anybody tried it or own it that can give me some feedback?

Re: Studiologic SL88 Grand Feedback?

Hi!

I've tried the Studiologic SL88 Grand thoroughly at a shop, bringing my own Laptop with Pianoteq (5 at the time) and a Roland DP-10 for half-pedalling. I only needed to connect the Linux Laptop and the SL88 with an USB cable and it just worked. I like it a lot and hoping to save enough money soon to replace my 20 year old Doepfer LMK3 which also has a FATAR hammer keyboard.

The only reason I have some second thoughts is that there are some minor reports of problems with build quality and QA, so I will buy it directly at a shop and test the product, and also rely on the a 3 year guarantee.

But you definetly should try different manufacturers, as it really seems to be a personal subjective thing.

Best
erik

Last edited by eriks (04-01-2018 13:08)

That is my issue too. I have seen reports of key issues. I saw a Piano Man Chuck review of it and he really liked it..... I am inbetween this and the Roland A88.

Roland  action is a bit lighter compared to the SL88 Grand. For me the feature that really made me pick the SL88 was the feeling of the ivory like keyoboard and the extensive editing features. Overall is impressive. I have adjusted the touch using the SL editor and I really cannot say I am unsatisfied with the product. Considering I also saved money because of a discount I can say it really is a bang for the buck. I would not suggest buying without trying any Studiologic product, not only for your personal likes but because their product still are hit or miss due to inefficient quality control.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Roland in the end. I do love the the thought of the Studiologic but too many reports of bad keys is not a good sign.
I tried the Roland RD2000 and really like the keys felt on it, very smooth. Plus I own Keyscape and they seem to love it on the videos, Roland don’t really seem to have quality control issues at all.

Picked up the Roland and I really do not like it. Really sluggish and just cannot seem to get to grips with it at all.

Not sure how you find the RD-2000 sluggish. It's exactly the opposite, compared to some Fatar actions (and you said yourself they're smooth in the previous post!)...

Unless... you're talking about A-88? Because A-88 doesn't have the same keybed as RD-2000...

Last edited by EvilDragon (06-01-2018 15:00)
Hard work and guts!

No, the RD2000 was incredible. I am talking about the A-88. It is really sluggish and quite shallow, cannot get the expression out of it that I want at all.

Gotcha. Yeah that's the older Ivory Feel G.

Same action as RD-2000 you can find in cheaper FP-90.

Hard work and guts!

The StudioLogic SL88 Grand is a reasonably priced MIDI keyboard controller, but it is not very well calibrated from the manufacturer (at least mine wasn’t), which means you may need to use the StudioLogic editor software (available for Windows or Mac, I couldn’t get it to work even under OS emulation in Linux) to make the touch/velocity response more even across the range of the keyboard.

I ended up selling my StudioLogic SL88 Grand and bought a Kawai VPC1 MIDI controller instead, which I am currently happy with.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (07-01-2018 01:20)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Hmm, you are not the first person I have heard with such comments on Studiologic's SL88 Grand and I do not want to take the risk on it either to be honest with you.

The Roland A-88 hurts my hands and I think that maybe due to it being a heavier keybed. It may just be a case of me just building up my hand muscles over time with it and get used to it for now.

I am considering to get one SL 88 Grand.

I would appreciate if any other recent users can share their feedback ?

Is anybody aware of any revision this keyboard may have had to address the issues reported ?

RobertS wrote:

Is anybody aware of any revision this keyboard may have had to address the issues reported ?

That was my other option too before choosing the D1 - the SL88 sounds a bit more like what you're after. Be aware though that it is shipped with one (sustain) pedal only. SL does sell a tripple pedal unit that will connect to the fourth 'multi' connector with one plug. However, only the right pedal on that unit is continuous, the other two are switches - so the soft 'una corda' pedal will be on/off, not gradual. See https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/slp3-d/.

RobertS wrote:

I commented on another thread that the Numa stage piano I'm using might be a good alternative to the SL88 and then found they have the same action. I haven't found any of the playability issues discussed here. I also have an older Kawai EP3 also with a Fatar keyboard. Other than the noisy black keys - and I just saw a video on how to fix that - it has been a productive instrument for me for some time. Another Kawai DP is in my life on a steady gig.

I can't compare to other brands but I'd buy one if I needed one.

Good luck.

Robert Steinberg
MidiOpera.com

Question for who live in countries that allow buyers to take money back from any buy (even not on-line).

-Have you ever been a abusive buyer?
For example, if unsure of what model to choose, and can't test the product in a store, you decide order 2 or three different models, from different stores, to test all and compare, and send back the ones you didn't like?

It may save time and save youfrom headaches, but it may be unfair with stores.

Last edited by Beto-Music (26-12-2020 15:37)

MidiOpera wrote:
RobertS wrote:

I commented on another thread that the Numa stage piano I'm using might be a good alternative to the SL88 and then found they have the same action. I haven't found any of the playability issues discussed here. I also have an older Kawai EP3 also with a Fatar keyboard. Other than the noisy black keys - and I just saw a video on how to fix that - it has been a productive instrument for me for some time. Another Kawai DP is in my life on a steady gig.

I can't compare to other brands but I'd buy one if I needed one.

Good luck.

It gets a little confusing with all the similarly named models with different specs, but actually the action in your Numa Stage is  the TP/100LR Premium Hammer Action, whereas the one in the SL88 Grand is the TP/40WOOD Graded Hammer Action. They are not identical - you are probably referring to the SL88 Studio (that one does have the same action as the Numa Stage).
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP100LR.html
http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40WOOD.htm

Last edited by thiesdewaard (27-12-2020 14:43)

thiesdewaard wrote:

It gets a little confusing with all the similarly named models with different specs, but actually the action in your Numa Stage is  the TP/100LR Premium Hammer Action, whereas the one in the SL88 Grand is the TP/40WOOD Graded Hammer Action. They are not identical - you are probably referring to the SL88 Studio (that one does have the same action as the Numa Stage).

Confused?? Me? About what Fatar keyboard is inside an SL?
I was presuming the only difference between the two is the wooden key. I will check further out of curiosity.
Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by MidiOpera (30-12-2020 15:46)
Robert Steinberg
MidiOpera.com

It's a lighter action and one that I would definitely consider if you plan on moving the piano to different stages. It is very similar to Roland PHA2.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

I have had the SL Grand for some days and am happy with it. The action, the quality of the sensors, the keys are so much better than the Roland A88 Mk2 (PHA-4) I had previously. I can play this keyboard for hours and I don't feel any fatigue. I also prefer it over my Yamaha ModX8, although the sensors of the Yamaha are very good too.

I would like to try the SL Grand against the Korg D1.

RobertS wrote:

I have had the SL Grand for some days and am happy with it. The action, the quality of the sensors, the keys are so much better than the Roland A88 Mk2 (PHA-4) I had previously. I can play this keyboard for hours and I don't feel any fatigue. I also prefer it over my Yamaha ModX8, although the sensors of the Yamaha are very good too.

I would like to try the SL Grand against the Korg D1.

Congratulations on the new keyboard!  The SL Grand was an early candidate for me as well, but I needed onboard speakers.  Hence the choice of the FP-90...

Pianoteq 7 | New York Steinway D, Hamburg Steinway D, Steinway B, Steingraeber E-272, Grotrian Concert Royale, Blüthner Model 1, K2 |
Roland FP-90 | Roland Rubix 22

MidiOpera wrote:
thiesdewaard wrote:

Confused?? Me? About what Fatar keyboard is inside an SL?
I was presuming the only difference between the two is the wooden key. I will check further out of curiosity.
Thanks for the clarification.

I own a Studiologic SL88 Grand (home) and a SL73 Studio (much lighter to carry for rehearsals/live playing). The only thing they have in common are the display, controllers and the casing. The SL88 Grand action and it's sensors are far and away superior over the SL73/88 Studio. It's NOT just a wooden layer on the keys or something like that. The Fater TP40 Wood in the SL88 Grand boasts a completely different action technology. Better sensors too.

Don't get me wrong. The SL73/88 Studio is pretty good for the money and I like it too. But the SL88 Grand is playing in a much higher league. Interestingly enough any sound you play with it not only feels better, it also sounds better. I have no idea why that is, but it's a matter of fact and not only a psychoacoustical delusion.

Last edited by thman (10-01-2021 21:19)

Has anyone compared the Studiologic SL88 Grand to the Kawai VPC 1?

I've tested the VPC and liked it very much - but the weight is a problem for me. I don't need it much at home - I play Pianoteq with the silent system of my Bechstein Concert 8. But I will be prepared for some gigs, where I don't have a real piano.
I have a Kawai ES 110 too, but I'm not very happy with it. Not for Pianoteq and more sophisticated playing.

I friend of mine, who is a professional jazz piano player even recommended the old Yamaha P120. But I suppose that it can't compete with these (?)

Regards
Martin

I have had the SL88 Grand for a couple of years, I am very happy with the feel of the keys, works well for me. Especially the ivory touch makes a huge difference, but also the wood weights makes it feel like 'the real thing' to me. On the heavy side when carrying around, but there is no gigging in the foreseeable future, so currently not an issue. I also have the SL88 Studio for the rehearsal room, it works ok but it will never be my main keyboard, just for backup and because I didn't want to spend the full amount on a keyboard I only use once a week.

Only issue I have had with the SL88 Grand was the display that faded, but I got it replaced covered by guarantee. The display worked fine on the SL88 Studio, it was apparently an issue with the earlier models.

Hardware: Studiologic SL 88s + SL Mixface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Lenovo Yoga I5 Windows 10 Pro
VST host: Cantabile
Other instruments: hammond (GSi VB3 II), saxophone (Selmer), harmonicas (Hohners)

Torsten B. Hagemann wrote:

I have had the SL88 Grand for a couple of years, I am very happy with the feel of the keys, works well for me. Especially the ivory touch makes a huge difference, but also the wood weights makes it feel like 'the real thing' to me. On the heavy side when carrying around, but there is no gigging in the foreseeable future, so currently not an issue. I also have the SL88 Studio for the rehearsal room, it works ok but it will never be my main keyboard, just for backup and because I didn't want to spend the full amount on a keyboard I only use once a week.

Only issue I have had with the SL88 Grand was the display that faded, but I got it replaced covered by guarantee. The display worked fine on the SL88 Studio, it was apparently an issue with the earlier models.

I have an entry-level Casio digital. It has "graded" hammer action. For my extremely limited skills it's fine.

I have considered possibly getting an  SL88 Studio.
However the information on that keyboard only States hammer action not graded hammer action. Does it feel like that one is graded to you or are the keys all the same weight top to bottom?
IOW have they just missed off the word graded in their sales literature?

So, I was very impressed for five days!

But now I have a problem... the B right from the middle C is clicking. Especially when I press the key on the right side, it gets very loud and I can feel the click too.
I suppose there isn't something I can do, apart from contacting the shop and ask for a replacement?

Regards,
Martin

MartinGr wrote:

But now I have a problem... the B right from the middle C is clicking. Especially when I press the key on the right side, it gets very loud and I can feel the click too.
I suppose there isn't something I can do, apart from contacting the shop and ask for a replacement?

Regards,
Martin

If it was me I would return the unit for a swap (if I was still impressed with it). If a 2nd unit also developed a problem then just get a refund.

MartinGr wrote:

Regards,
Martin

Are you talking about SL88Grand ?

Gaston wrote:
MartinGr wrote:

Regards,
Martin

Yes, the Grand.

MartinGr wrote:
Gaston wrote:
MartinGr wrote:

Regards,
Martin

Yes, the Grand.

OK. I was about to order it, that'll make me reconsider !

It would be nice if there were a kind of CP33 MKII...

Que Bastet soit avec vous et avec votre mistigri !

Gaston wrote:
MartinGr wrote:
Gaston wrote:

Yes, the Grand.

OK. I was about to order it, that'll make me reconsider !

I'm not giving up. I really liked it so far....
But I must admit that I'm a bit frightened. I didn't find any detailed information, how the keys work exactly and if there are things I could adjust (when warranty is over).

So... SL88 replaced yesterday to a new one. This time, all the keys are perfect!
I'm very happy.

Half pedaling with the Roland DP-10 wasn't working very well. And as the pedal was sticky, I had a good reason to return it.
The SLP3-D from StudioLogic works a lot better - I'd recommend it.

I'm thinking off retire my CME Uf 80, keybed starting getting sluggish and some keys more than others, and other problems. Thinking of maybe buying SL88 Grand, was first thinking of SL88 Studio or Hammer 88 but so many were complaining about the keybed. Because I want a realistic piano feel, even If I play a lot of synth stuff more than Piano sometimes, do I want heavier keys. But then I don't know how they compare to CME 80.

Does anyone know what to compare the keybed of CME UF80 to?

Last edited by Hellfog (14-04-2021 18:29)

Deyvidpetro wrote:

Picked up the Roland and I really do not like it. Really sluggish and just cannot seem to get to grips with it at all.

I tried a Roland RD2000 and a Nord Piano3 before pulling the trigger on my Kawai MP11SE. I found the RD2000's action to be disappointingly light and flimsy. And the RD2000 was my first choice. Personally, I think that the Roland FANTOM-8 has a more piano-like action. The Nord wasn't bad for an $800 digital piano. Unfortunately, it cost $3000+ at the time.

Last edited by psterrett (15-04-2021 18:52)
Kawai MP11SE / Pianoteq Pro Studio Bundle v7.5.2 (includes every Pianoteq instrument - 21 currently)

I've had the SL88 for about a month now and I think I made the right decision compared to the rest of the offerings in digital keyboards. It is a heavier touch but I got used to it quickly because it's closer to a piano feel. I've had two Kurzweils and the SL88 is similar but more solid feeling. And the dynamic range is a joy, first because of the sensors and because of  Pianoteq's modelling technology as opposed to tiered dynamics of samplers.The editing software is a tad quirky but maybe that was just me.

The only keyboards that had better action (that I actually tried out) were the Yamaha digital pianos, the kind with the nice cabinetry. But they, and the Kawai, don't have MIDI or mod wheels. I can see why people said the Roland was mushy. When the SL88 key hits the key bed you know it.