Topic: MKII hammer noise

Hi folks,

I am a newbie, so be gentle.  Just got pt6, including the e.p. pkg.

up till now, i just had a straight up roland fp-7f.  its acoustic piano is ok, but its EPs are less so.  so i am very enthusiastic about pianoteq.

one thing i am surprised by in the mkii. in many of the presents i can hear a lot of hammer noise, even if i reduce the key release noise to 0.   it is less present in the Jazzy and Bark.

i don't think i like it.  i find it distracting.  seems like the kind of thing you might want a rhodes to not do.

thoughts?

thanks,
steve200

Last edited by steve200 (20-12-2017 04:55)

Re: MKII hammer noise

Just wondering whether you have not found all the relevant settings yet.  If you're referring to the noise that is made the instant you play a note, adjust the Hammer Noise setting in the Voicing panel, AND the hammer setting in the tine noise section of the Design panel.
If you're referring to the noise that is made the instant you lift up, adjust the Key Release Noise setting  in the Action panel, and the damper setting in the tine noise section of the Design panel.

It is possible to create a very clean and pure sound.

Greg.

I agree with Skip in there are two sources for noise:  1) When the key is depressed; and 2) when the key is released.

If you are modifying only the key release parameter, and nothing seems to change, then the problem is more likely "hammer noise" at the outset of each note being pressed.

I am not pushing the PRO version, but in the PRO there are controls for hammer noise, hammer tine noise, and key release noise.

In the event you do not own the PRO version, try reducing the Hammer hardness (for example:  piano = 0.40 mezzoforte = .70 and forte = 1.00) and notice the effect that change has on the sound.  My example is not fine tuned, so you might be able to reduce hammer hardness less severely, and get the sound you desire.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (20-12-2017 15:15)

jcfelice88keys wrote:

I am not pushing the PRO version, but in the PRO there are controls for hammer noise, hammer tine noise, and key release noise.

These exist in Standard version as well, if I remember correctly. Just not in the per-note editor, but you can get to them by assigning MIDI controllers in Options->MIDI area.

Hard work and guts!

Rats, I forgot to mention... I have Pianoteq 6 Stage.

I don't think I have access to the controls you mention, right?

Steve200

Yeah, you don't... Should at least upgrade to Standard.

Last edited by EvilDragon (20-12-2017 16:26)
Hard work and guts!

Oops- forgot about the missing stuff in Stage - sorry.

Greg.

I am a bit baffled.  I have turned Key Release Noise to OFF, but...

Here is how you can reproduce the sound I am hearing.

On any of MKII Close Mic, Distant Mic or Jazzy:

Press middle C.  Hold for 4 seconds. You hear a nice sustained, slightly decreasing note.

Then release the key.  You'll hear what seems distinctly like key release noise.

Steve

Steve,
As I said before, you may also need to adjust the damper setting in the tine noise section of the Design panel.

Greg.