Topic: Consumer research for organteq - Please participate.

I'm trying to elaborate a consumer research to help Modartt about organteq.
I formulated a series of question to get a profile of possible organteq consumers.

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional ) ?

2- Do you have or had in past a digital or eletric organ instrument ?

3- Do you already have some digital emulator software for organ ?

4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software, similar or simpler than theses examples bellow :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDMolHWQ6Jc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSyWpdsCwU

5- Do you plan to buy new MIDI devices to use with organteq ? 

6- Do you have a MIDI pedalboard ?

7- Are you very amateur about organs but interented about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ?

8- Are you interested in organteq to play organ or to render/compose music for organ or music which have organ as one of the instruments ?

9 - Would you like organteq to emulate any particular organ model ?

10- What feautures do you think that's most important for a organ emulator software or what features would you like to see on organteq ?

Last edited by Beto-Music (10-12-2017 14:07)

Re: Consumer research for organteq - Please participate.

Beto-Music wrote:

I'm trying to elaborate a consumer research to help Modartt about organteq.
I formulated a series of question to get a profile of possible organteq consumers.

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional ) ?  YES

2- Do you have or had in past a digital or electric organ instrument ?  YES

3- Do you already have some digital emulator software for organ ?  YES

4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software, similar or simpler than theses examples bellow :   YES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDMolHWQ6Jc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSyWpdsCwU

5- Do you plan to buy new MIDI devices to use with organteq ?  NO, because I already own and operate a ton of MIDI based hardware equipment

6- Do you have a MIDI pedalboard ?  YES

7- Are you very amateur about organs but interested about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ? YES

8- Are you interested in organteq to play organ or to render/compose music for organ or music which have organ as one of the instruments ? YES

9 - Would you like organteq to emulate any particular organ model ? (See Below)

10- What features do you think that's most important for a organ emulator software or what features would you like to see on organteq ?(See Below)

I have answered YES for Questions 1 through 8, inclusive.

Regarding Question #9, I would like Modartt to emulate at least one each of the following types of instruments:

A) A baroque tracker organ, such as the Arp Schnitger instrument in St. Michael Church of Zwolle Holland, except that the Diapason needs to be A440 instead of ~A490 (Schnitger routinely gouged his customers by making his organs sharp, never flat -- it seems Arp Schnitger was a crook who pocketed the savings by making his pipes 12% shorter than required);

B) A French romantic instrument such as the Cavaille-Coll in St. Sulpice;

C) An American classic instrument such as the Aeolian-Skinner of the Riverside Church in New York City, USA

D) A theatre organ such as the Hardman Wurlitzer in Virginia, USA

E) A firey-reeded Spanish organ, such as the Emperor's organ in Toledo, Spain;

F)  A British organ, such as in the Liverpool Cathedral.

Regarding Question #10, please refer to my response in the Organteq beta forum.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (08-12-2017 18:40)

Thanks Joe.

Question 8 was to choose one or another or both. I suposed people with no midi pedalboard would buy organ emulatosr to render music using MIDI tracks, and people with pedalboard and at least two keyboards would use for live play.

By the way, question 5 you responded NO.
;-)

Last edited by Beto-Music (08-12-2017 19:29)

Beto-Music wrote:

Thanks Joe.

Question 8 was to choose one or another or both. I suposed people with no midi pedalboard would buy organ emulatosr to render music using MIDI tracks, and people with pedalboard and at least two keyboards would use for live play.

By the way, question 5 you responded NO.
;-)

I answered too quickly without checking for the negative reply in question #5.  Regarding Question #8, my affirmative answer indicated I was into "all of the above".

Sorry for any confusion my replies may have caused.

Cheers,

Joe

Are you doing this on your own or for/with the support of Modartt?

I'm doing to help them get a idea about the public interested in modelled organs.
I hope they appreciate.

Please participate  :-)

tfort wrote:

Are you doing this on your own or for/with the support of Modartt?

Last edited by Beto-Music (09-12-2017 14:57)

1 Retired church organist - but a bit of a misnomer as although I played at various churches over the years, I was strictly a keyboard only player.
2 No
3 Yes, Hauptwerk, 1741 Maria Kerk Oosterwijtwerd, 1636 San Carlo Brescia are the 2 instruments I have.
4 Run organs via Kawai ES7 and Hauptwerk (free version)
5 No
6 No
7 Not actively searching at present, but Organteq is of great interest.
8 Yes, to play
9 Mainly interested in baroque instruments and, as I have only one 'manual' and no pedal board, relatively small instruments. (I am aware that multi-manual instruments can be played via a single midi controller)
10 Ease of changing registers, coupling manuals. (Follows from use of a single midi controller)

1) No
2) yes
3) yes – Native Instruments Kontakt with a couple of sampled organs, and a Yamaha Clavinova
4) no, but they are pretty impressive!
5) no, but I might end up with a pedal set before this is all done
6) no, see number five above
7) yes
8) more interested in playing than rendering MIDI files
9) for a couple years I have listened to the Wanamaker organ hour on WRTI out of Philadelphia every first Sunday of the month at 5 PM. Unfortunately, the last show a week ago was the last one, from what the announcer said. I have not been to hear that organ in person inside the Wanamaker/Macy's store in downtown Philadelphia, but I have heard that it is a monster, the largest pipe organ in the world, or at least in North America. Perhaps a little emulation for that?
10) I would like to see the program accept multiple keyboard inputs, for those who want to build a simulated console out of a stack of keyboards. Similarly, it would be nice for it to take piano keyboards and allow them to be subdivided into two or even three different registers, each for individual assignment, with variable breaks in the keyboard so that you can set up registers of different sizes on a standard 88 keyboard.

I am excited to see how things progress, as I am a neophyte at the organ, but one who has listened to various things by Virgil Fox that my parents used to love listening to on recordings, as well as Cameron Carpenter, who is quite skilled and yet over-the-top in his organ playing drama. Also, there is just something very special about the majesty of the Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 – organ finale.  It warms my heart on this bleak winter's day just to think of it.

– David

- David

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional ) ?n0

2- Do you have or had in past a digital or eletric organ instrument ? yes wurlitzer double keyboard

3- Do you already have some digital emulator software for organ ? no

4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software, similar or simpler than theses examples bellow : no

5- Do you plan to buy new MIDI devices to use with organteq ? no

6- Do you have a MIDI pedalboard ? Yes but it stopped working...sigh...(old Roland)

7- Are you very amateur about organs but interented about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ? yes

8- Are you interested in organteq to play organ or to render/compose music for organ or music which have organ as one of the instruments ? yes

9 - Would you like organteq to emulate any particular organ model ? none yet this one is great

10- What feautures do you think that's most important for a organ emulator software or what features would you like to see on organteq ? not sure what I want yet

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

dklein wrote:

5) no, but I might end up with a pedal set before this is all done

personally, i covet one of these ==> http://www.pedamidikit.org/ and can't wait till i have more household space to be able to reasonably fit one into my setup! 

Matthieu 7:6

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional ) ? Not real organ. I use my Clavinova + Hauptwerk and now Organteq.

2- Do you have or had in past a digital or eletric organ instrument ? No

3- Do you already have some digital emulator software for organ ? Yes, Hauptwerk free edition.

4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software, similar or simpler than theses examples bellow? No, I have a digital piano.

5- Do you plan to buy new MIDI devices to use with organteq ? Maybe a pedalboard.

6- Do you have a MIDI pedalboard ? Not yet.

7- Are you very amateur about organs but interented about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ? Yes, I was waiting for a modelling software like Organteq.

8- Are you interested in organteq to play organ or to render/compose music for organ or music which have organ as one of the instruments ? Yes

9 - Would you like organteq to emulate any particular organ model ? A simple positive and a good baroque organ.

10- What feautures do you think that's most important for a organ emulator software or what features would you like to see on organteq ? Easy to use, light, realistic sound.
Thanks.

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional ) NO

2- Do you have or had in past a digital or eletric organ instrument ? NO

3- Do you already have some digital emulator software for organ ? YES, Grand Orgue, but I rarely use it

4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software, similar or simpler than theses examples bellow : My DP, not an organ controller

5- Do you plan to buy new MIDI devices to use with organteq ? NO, unless Organteq makes me crazy

6- Do you have a MIDI pedalboard ? NO

7- Are you very amateur about organs but interented about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ? Probably NO

8- Are you interested in organteq to play organ or to render/compose music for organ or music which have organ as one of the instruments ? Not ecluded but it is not my priority now

9 - Would you like organteq to emulate any particular organ model ? NO

10- What feautures do you think that's most important for a organ emulator software or what features would you like to see on organteq ?

The problem with the organ when you are a pianist is that you can loose your velocity control. But it is a great instrument.

Last edited by stamkorg (07-03-2018 18:54)

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional )
No
2- Do you have or had in past a digital or electric organ instrument ?
An old Lowrey organ passed down from family when I was younger
No
4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software, similar or simpler than theses examples bellow
No
No-I've got lots of MIDI devices
Yes
7- Are you very amateur about organs but interested about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ?
Yes
8- Are you interested in organteq to play organ or to render/compose music for organ or music which have organ as one of the instruments ?
Yes
No
10- What features do you think that's most important for a organ emulator software or what features would you like to see on organteq ?
I don't know enough about organs to say but lots of people have fancy equipment for their Hauptwerk rigs.  I'd imagine serious people would want it to work with that.

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional ) ? Yes, amateur
2- Do you have or had in past a digital or eletric organ instrument ? Yes, but mostly used as 2-manual & full pedal midi console for Hauptwerk
3- Do you already have some digital emulator software for organ ? Yes, mainly Hauptwerk
4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software? Yes, see above
5- Do you plan to buy new MIDI devices to use with organteq ? No
6- Do you have a MIDI pedalboard ? Yes
7- Are you very amateur about organs but interented about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ? Already playing, just looking for a lifelike and less memory-hungry alternative tu Hauptwerk (might use both approaches in the future)
8- Are you interested in organteq to play organ or to render/compose music for organ or music which have organ as one of the instruments ? Mainly to play, only occasionally to render MIDI tracks
9 - Would you like organteq to emulate any particular organ model ? Anything from North-German to French, but as close to real organs as possible - possibly composing ‚my‘ organ from pipe sections
10- What feautures do you think that's most important for a organ emulator software or what features would you like to see on organteq ? Lifelike emulation including (editable) impurities, wind model, etc., and no restrictions regarding stop selection, combinations etc. - do what Hauptwerk does but better ;-)

Cheers -
Peter

I'll get back to it when Modartt approve this.

BTW question 8 is meaningless, if I have understood it correctly. Very few companies develop arranger software and it's ridiculous to plan it for piano or organ. Go buy Band In A Box instead.

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional ) ?
Amateur - was recently "volunteered" to play organ parts for a couple pieces (Bach Jesu and Arioso) with my community orchestra.

2- Do you have or had in past a digital or eletric organ instrument ?
No

No

4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software, similar or simpler than theses examples bellow :
Currently using with my piano controller.

Have another small midi keyboard, may add it on eventually.

No, may be fun some time.

7- Are you very amateur about organs but interented about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ?
For now, I installed Organteq specifically to work on these pieces. Was not even aware of it previously.

Currently, only using it for home rehearsal.

No.

It sounds nice, and works better than practicing organ parts with a piano patch. But also been a little frustrating as I need it to go a few steps lower, down to D. Or in that case, why not C? From memory (having only briefly used it twice so far) the church keyboard(s) where we play had at least another octave in the bass. So I don't know if Organteq's limitation in range is temporary, intended as a free demo?

1- Você toca órgão ou é organista (amador ou profissional)?

- Sim

2- Você tem ou teve no passado um instrumento de órgão digital ou elétrico?

- Sim

3- Você já tem algum software emulador digital para órgão?

- Sim. Uso o Organteq e o Supersonico 5, além de timbres de órgão em teclados como o Roland Juno-D

4- Você usa controladores MIDI para executar o software de órgãos, similar ou mais simples que os exemplos abaixo:

- Sim. Uso o Roland A-88

5- Você planeja comprar novos dispositivos MIDI para usar com o organteq?

- Talvez. Depende muito das tendências musicais para a música gospel bem como as necessidades de produção para estas músicas.

6- Você tem uma pedaleira MIDI?

- Por enquanto não.

7- Você é muito amador em relação a órgãos, mas se envolveu em aprender e procurar um bom software para imitar o órgão?

- O meu estilo de órgão é mais popular, mas não me considero profissional. Minha carteira da OMB me classifica como pianista, não como organista. Mas faço bons arranjos em órgão.

8- Você está interessado em organteq para tocar órgão ou para renderizar / compor música para órgão ou música que tenha órgão como um dos instrumentos?

- Sim, gostei do timbre.

9 - Você gostaria que o organteq emulasse qualquer modelo de órgão em particular?

- Sim. Principalmente o "Hammond"

10- Que feautures você acha que é mais importante para um software de emulador de órgão ou quais recursos você gostaria de ver no organteq?

- Órgão drawbar e rotary, caixa leslie

1- Do you play organ or are you a organist (amateur or professional ) ? YES
2- Do you have or had in past a digital or eletric organ instrument ? YES
3- Do you already have some digital emulator software for organ ? YES (Hauptwerk and GrandOrgue)
4- Do you use MIDI controllers to run the organ software, similar or simpler than theses examples bellow: YES
5- Do you plan to buy new MIDI devices to use with organteq ? NO
6- Do you have a MIDI pedalboard ? YES
7- Are you very amateur about organs but interented about learning, and searching for a good software to emulate organ ? YES
8- Are you interested in organteq to play organ or to render/compose music for organ or music which have organ as one of the instruments ? YES
9 - Would you like organteq to emulate any particular organ model ? NO

Sound customization (similar to pianoteq) and better level of presence and clarity compared to sound sampling. Moreover, a model of resynthesis starting from sampled dry sounds (typically Hauptwerk but not only) could be useful even if it is easier to say than to do!