Topic: Forcing CPU on laptop to max speed using Windows XP

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but apparently in laptops, Windows XP dynamically switches the CPU speed up and down, depending on the CPU loading.  Hence, Pianoteq would not run as fast as it could be running on my laptop, resulting in less performance than I should be getting.  I found a freeware program located at http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html which allows me to force my CPU speed to its maximum.  I use this now whenver I play Pianoteq and get better results than I was getting.  Just thought I would let people know my experience in case it helps someone else.

Re: Forcing CPU on laptop to max speed using Windows XP

Hallo,

you can also go to "System" from WinXP -  i´m from Germany, and don´t know the exaxt english Titles of the Buttons....in the Window of "System" you see a  lot of Icons fo r a lot of things...

There you search for  "EnergyOptions".
Under this point you can adjust the generall behavior of your PC or Laptop.

If you use your Laptop for making music or Games, and you need maximum speed - you can change  to the Profil  "Desktop" und this  Energy Options.

This tells your notebook, not to use the options of saving energy,  and also it stops the feature of the  aktual  Intel core 2 duo´s:  Speedstepping.

But change it back to the old value, if you go outside with your Laptop......otherwise your akkus become empty very fast.

I hope i could help you.

Greetings - rob

Re: Forcing CPU on laptop to max speed using Windows XP

Hello Rob.  I'm in America.  I guess I did not try that particular option (why I'm not sure now - I tried changing power options earlier and seemed to get no where), but it does seem to work as you say.  It is the "Power Option" under "Control Panel" on my system.  I think I still like the freeware program since it also can display the speed of the computer in real time in the icon tray, which helps me make sure my computer is set correctly.  Thanks for the information.