Topic: If you like Beethoven

Joris Holtackers has recorded a wonderful interpretation of Beethoven sonata 27 first movement with the Graf pianoforte add-on. You can listen to it on our listen page http://www.pianoteq.com/listen?select=historical or directly here:
http://www.pianoteq.com/audio/Beethoven...s-Graf.mp3

I don’t know if Beethoven played on this Graf, but it is known that he did play on another Graf pianoforte from the same period, see http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Cedes/TheCds...ments.html

This recording from Joris Holtackers uses an updated version of the Graf pianoforte add-on with 4 microphones (*). The Werkmeister III temperament makes it particularly delicious. We hope you will enjoy!

(*) The KIViR.ptq has been updated in the user area. The Graf add-on description field shows now 1.1 in the preset manager instead of 1.0.

Re: If you like Beethoven

Philippe, in Pianoteq 2.3 some add-on had not the original keyboard range, having some extra keys not present in the original instrument.

I think a slider for extra keys should be available, just to offer the extra keys, since some compositions require that of a instrument, and to allow the user to keep is wish the original range of the piano if wish so.

Last edited by Beto-Music (27-02-2009 18:53)

A switch would be more convenient than a slider. Like - Original range ON/OFF.

Hard work and guts!

guillaume wrote:

This recording from Joris Holtackers uses an updated version of the Graf pianoforte add-on with 4 microphones (*). The Werkmeister III temperament makes it particularly delicious. We hope you will enjoy!

(*) The KIViR.ptq has been updated in the user area. The Graf add-on description field shows now 1.1 in the preset manager instead of 1.0.

Fine playing and great sounding updated preset...
I think it's a good instrument for Schubert also. I have a Monteverdi Choir Schubert CD on which Malcolm Bilson plays accompaniment on a 1835 Conrad Graf.

It is a good idea to upgrade the historic instruments so we can profit from your experience in finding the best microphone positionning.

I've downloaded the Graf add-on twice now since this thread was posted removed the old Graf and installed the new but it still appears as

C,Graf 918260, version 1.0
This is an instrument imported from Pianoteq version 2

Do I have to delete a preference file or something or is the wrong file on the server?

You need to download the full KIViR.ptq from the user area, not the graf.ptq from the legacy section. Then, drop it your add-on folder (something like Application Data\Modartt\Pianoteq30\Addons folder).  Information field show C. Graf (1826), version 1.1

Gilles wrote:

It is a good idea to upgrade the historic instruments so we can profit from your experience in finding the best microphone positionning.

If you want to apply the Graf recording settings to another instrument, you can do following:
1. Load the new Graf instrument (the new KIViR.ptq must be in your Addons folder. Make sure it shows "C. Graf (1826), version 1.1" in the information field).
2. Click on the check button (to the right of the save button) and check both "All output settings" and "All reverb settings". Close the dialog box.
3. Make sure that the check button is checked (right click on it if necessary).
4. Change to the instrument of your choice.
By doing so, all output and mic settings and all reverb settings are kept unchanged. Try this for example with the Schoffstoss, sounds pretty nice. If you like it, save it as a new preset!

Thanks for the info Guillaume!

Thanks that did the trick!

Last edited by BazC (28-02-2009 11:50)

Thanks also Philippe.

I had already tried applying the graf recording settings by freezing all settings but I probably unchecked the check box by mistake, so I thought all the historic presets had to be modified by you to enable mic settings. My mistake...