Topic: Pianoteq 3.0 distortion/undamped notes issues

I'm currently starting out on developing presets that emulate my Yamaha Disklavier, along with some other things such as a metal/tack piano, "Beatles" style upright, etc. Two issues have arisen so far.

The first one is that if I use the older models, such as C2 or even the M1, and I set output to "Sound Recording", I have to wait about 8-10 seconds for the sound to "settle" in without exhibiting distortion. The distortion is more of a break-up in the sound, not clipping. It's like I have faulty cables with loose jacks connected to a mixer, except of course there is no mixer because Pianoteq is a virtual instrument.

Also if I move the virtual mics around too quickly, the sound can break up.

The second issue is that I cannot move the range of the undamped notes in any of the models. I love the new C3 model, but the undamped range starts at C6. Yamaha pianos have an undamped range starting at F6 or G6, depending on the model. I believe Steinways start the undamped range somewhere in the same area. I don't know which pianos have the undamped notes beginning at C6 (the top two octaves).

The M3 model fares better, as its undamped range begins at G#6. But its lowest notes, A-0 to G1, do not have enough release on them. In this lowest area of the keyboard, my Yamaha definitely has longer note releases, as this is where the heaviest, biggest strings are, and it takes a little longer for them to stop ringing.

I'd like to submit my Pianoteq 3.0 "Yamaha" emulations, but for accurate realism I'd really like to be able to define the range where the undamped notes are.

My system is a PPC Mac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz, 4.5GB RAM, running OSX 10.4.11, with a MOTU 828 MK 2 audio interface.

Last edited by Dave Polich (26-02-2009 22:27)

Re: Pianoteq 3.0 distortion/undamped notes issues

Dave Polich wrote:

The second issue is that I cannot move the range of the undamped notes in any of the models. I love the new C3 model, but the undamped range starts at C6. Yamaha pianos have an undamped range starting at F6 or G6, depending on the model. I believe Steinways start the undamped range somewhere in the same area. I don't know which pianos have the undamped notes beginning at C6 (the top two octaves).RAM, running OSX 10.4.11, with a MOTU 828 MK 2 audio interface.

You can. Go to ACTION tab, and you have a parameter Last damper. Set it to MIDI note number you want to. I have to ask do the people read the manual at all? It's all in there, explained (page 33).

Last edited by EvilDragon (27-02-2009 02:41)
Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon, thanks so much! Yes, I really should read the manual.

My family is originally from Croatia too - Zlobin, to be exact. My grandfather came here to the U.S. in 1907.

Cool! Fellow Croatian onboard!

Hard work and guts!

Dave Polich wrote:

The first one is that if I use the older models, such as C2 or even the M1, and I set output to "Sound Recording", I have to wait about 8-10 seconds for the sound to "settle" in without exhibiting distortion. The distortion is more of a break-up in the sound, not clipping. It's like I have faulty cables with loose jacks connected to a mixer, except of course there is no mixer because Pianoteq is a virtual instrument.

I see you are using a dual G5 setup. Unfortunately pianoteq 3.0.0 has terrible performance on these machines. We will issue an update very soon that will improve that. You may also want to disable "multicore rendering" in the options / perf panel as it does not seem to do any good in the dual G5 setups (I'm trying to figure out why), it is likely that this is the source of the break-ups in the sound you are hearing.

I assume that settings like 'last damper' are general right?
For some sounds - definitely NOT piano , but more experimental - , I wouldn't want to use dampers at all... I can change the general settings obviously then but it would be very cool if certain settings could be saved as part of the preset...
Is that possible at all?

cheers
Hans

creart wrote:

I assume that settings like 'last damper' are general right?
For some sounds - definitely NOT piano , but more experimental - , I wouldn't want to use dampers at all... I can change the general settings obviously then but it would be very cool if certain settings could be saved as part of the preset...
Is that possible at all?

cheers
Hans

Last damper setting is per preset, as all settings in Effects section are.

Hard work and guts!

geez, of course... in the Actions tab.... doh - yes well... I had been looking in the general midi definitions - yes I can read them ok, but interpreting seems to be the problem when it comes to manuals....

you're not so Evil after all, Dragon

thanx
Hans

creart wrote:

you're not so Evil after all, Dragon

Haha, just look at my pic, I'm super-evil there!

Nah, always glad to help. I somehow feel obliged to do so since I was a part of the betatest team. And since julien and the crew cannot be online 24/7, I figured if I can help in their place, when they are not online, then I would try and do so.

Hard work and guts!

True - if that is you - you look like a heavy metal musician...
so what do you normally play???
I must confess I'm also more in progressive than in classical..
I also play guitar, bass and drums and love to play DreamTheater style

And it's cool that you help out allright!

cheers
Hans

Last edited by creart (27-02-2009 18:24)

Yeah I'm into metal, progressive, etc.

I normally play piano, but I picked up guitar about 7 years ago. Still learning a lot. Piano and keyboards remain being my main instrument, though.

DT became awfully bad on latest couple of records... check Pain Of Salvation, they kicked their ass with every album so far!

Hard work and guts!

julien wrote:
Dave Polich wrote:

I see you are using a dual G5 setup. Unfortunately pianoteq 3.0.0 has terrible performance on these machines. We will issue an update very soon that will improve that. You may also want to disable "multicore rendering" in the options / perf panel as it does not seem to do any good in the dual G5 setups (I'm trying to figure out why), it is likely that this is the source of the break-ups in the sound you are hearing.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad it wasn't my imagination or something wrong with my particular computer. Looking forward to the update.