Topic: Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata - Pianoteq 6 - Steinway D

(Original track deleted. Updated version posted below.)

I used the Pianoteq 6 Steinway D with the "classical" setting. Medium hall. No compression, +6db around 112 Hz and 8KHz.

I also lowered the hammer hardness at p and mf levels, as well as the key release and pedal sound. I found that at this level of quiet, the sound of the dampers coming and off the strings was too distracting at the default setting.

Recorded 9/22/2017

Last edited by PaulHenrySmith (10-10-2017 19:08)

Re: Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata - Pianoteq 6 - Steinway D

Beautiful sound from the Pianoteq 6 Steinway D with your settings, and great performance, whether it was your own or a MIDI file of someone else's performance. Thanks.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

PaulHenrySmith wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/fauxharmonic/bee...-sostenuto

I used the Pianoteq 6 Steinway D with the "classical" setting. Medium hall. No compression, +6db around 112 Hz and 8KHz.

I also lowered the hammer hardness at p and mf levels, as well as the key release and pedal sound. I found that at this level of quiet, the sound of the dampers coming and off the strings was too distracting at the default setting.

Recorded 9/22/2017

Hello Mr. Smith,

I congratulate you on your tempo, because Beethoven's manuscript writes the piece in "cut time"  (2/2 rather than 4/4 time), which means that the tempo chosen by most performers is ridiculously slow.  Your tempo more approximates the composer's real intention.

The original Beethoven manuscript is annotated the German equivalent of "without dampers", meaning that he wanted the entire piece to be played with the sustain pedal engage, (to release all of the dampers).  Most modern performers shun this practice, stating that Beethoven's piano is not the same as a modern concert grand piano.  However, Pianoteq's fourth pedal is perfect for playing Beethoven's Moonlight sonata, first movement, with this fourth pedal held down throughout the piece.  Try it, and see what you think.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks for the tip, Joe, about the 4th pedal. I remade my performance using it. Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/fauxharmonic/bee...-sostenuto