Topic: Strange MIDI controller bug

I seem to be experiencing a strange bug in Pianoteq 3 (WinXP 32bit version).

I went through all the parameters, assigning them to continuous controller messages from a couple of knob boxes I was using with v2.3 (a Doepfer Pocket Controller and a Keyfax Phatboy).

All the assignments worked fine and the improved interface in version 3.0 was noticably better - EXCEPT...
...for some reason, Pianoteq v3 won't recognise continuous controller No.6!  It is very odd.

I know one of my knobs is transmitting cc6, because I can see it coming in using another MIDI diagnostic program (MIDIox) -
but cc6 doesn't appear in the Pianoteq window of incoming MIDI messages! And if I rightclick on a parameter in the GUI and tell Pianoteq to listen and assign it to the incoming MIDI message, it does nothing if I send cc6!

Is cc6 'reserved' or something?

Re: Strange MIDI controller bug

Yes cc6 is one of those "special" controller numbers. Pianoteq 3 is more midi compliant than pianoteq 2, so it knows about RPN and NRPN midi controllers -- these controllers reserve midi cc 6, 38, 98, 99, 100 and 101 for their messages

it is explained for example here http://www.philrees.co.uk/nrpnq.htm

Oh I see, that makes sense then!
I'm not going mad

I have also noticed though, that if I tell it to use my MIDI assignments as the new default, it doesn't - Pianoteq still starts up with "minimal" assignments the next time.

did you save them as a new "midimappings" preset ?

yes, I saved them using the dialog,
and then when they were currently in use, I chose "set as default" from the menu.

hum.. right. I should have checked that, sorry, this one is definitively a bug

The same bug/issue was mentioned in http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...3490#p3490

Hard work and guts!

teamsterjim wrote:

What I noticed is that the sus and harmonic pedals do not apply to the Electro-mechanical models...

Harmonic pedal works. Sustain also works. At least with my V3

Hard work and guts!

Jeez Guys, I apologise, I really should get more sleep.
All pedals do work on the Electro-Mechanical models.....excellent.

Last edited by teamsterjim (25-02-2009 15:13)
Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....