Topic: Pianoteq 6 Bluethner and Grotrian comments

posting to ask please for anyone's thoughts about Grotrian and Bluethner in Pianoteq 6?

Last edited by chasmanian (11-09-2017 23:34)

Re: Pianoteq 6 Bluethner and Grotrian comments

Both the Grotrian and the Bluthner are magnificent, in my opinion. The Grotrian was my favorite of the Pianoteq 5 pianos, the most realistic and detailed, with the Steinway Model B nearly as good in my opinion. The Bluthner sounded very lush and rich, but a little muddy; in its updated form it is now very clear and distinct, without losing the rich sound created by the aliquot strings (extra strings for resonance). The Grotrian still sounds wonderful, although all of the pianos have been updated and all of them now sound great.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Both the Grotrian and the Bluthner are magnificent, in my opinion. The Grotrian was my favorite of the Pianoteq 5 pianos, the most realistic and detailed, with the Steinway Model B nearly as good in my opinion. The Bluthner sounded very lush and rich, but a little muddy; in its updated form it is now very clear and distinct, without losing the rich sound created by the aliquot strings (extra strings for resonance). The Grotrian still sounds wonderful, although all of the pianos have been updated and all of them now sound great.

thank you very much. would you please tell me, do you play mostly through headphones, monitors, or both?

chasmanian wrote:

thank you very much. would you please tell me, do you play mostly through headphones, monitors, or both?

I sometimes play using headphones (I have Sennheiser HD 600 headphones, very nice but they have just a little too much treble response), and at other times through some powered (self-amplified) studio reference monitors/speakers (I have a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors, known for their very flat response (no resonances) across almost the entire frequency range of most music). There are a number of good speakers and headphones on the market now, some reasonably priced but fairly high performance (just do a search for them and read reviews). I don't like to use speakers that are commonly used for listening to music, because they often have exaggerated bass and treble. I listen to my audio CD and digital music library with the same studio reference speakers (the Mackie HR824's) that I use when playing the piano (a Kawai VPC1 MIDI keyboard with Pianoteq).

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (12-09-2017 00:21)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
chasmanian wrote:

I sometimes play using headphones (I have Sennheiser HD 600 headphones, very nice but they have just a little too much treble response), and at other times through some powered (self-amplified) studio reference monitors/speakers (I have a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors, known for their very flat response (no resonances) across almost the entire frequency range of most music). There are a number of good speakers and headphones on the market now, some reasonably priced but fairly high performance (just do a search for them and read reviews). I don't like to use speakers that are commonly used for listening to music, because they often have exaggerated bass and treble. I listen to my audio CD and digital music library with the same studio reference speakers (the Mackie HR824's) that I use when playing the piano (a Kawai VPC1 MIDI keyboard with Pianoteq).

thank you so much for your awesome generous reply.
very much appreciate all of your posts.

just upgraded to Pianoteq 6.
and am loving it. alot.
played around a little with the Steinways and the K2.
really awesome!!!

yes, pianoteq 6 really brings lots of appreciated improvements.

Also felt that the Blüthner in v5 had a rather undefined low end which greatly improved. I hardly used K2 or D4 in v5, now K2 (with some presets) feels great and Model D is nice. Grotrian and Model B also improved.

In v6 I really have a collection of very playable pianos - with a ton of tweaking possibilities.

Well done.

steff3 wrote:

yes, pianoteq 6 really brings lots of appreciated improvements.

Also felt that the Blüthner in v5 had a rather undefined low end which greatly improved. I hardly used K2 or D4 in v5, now K2 (with some presets) feels great and Model D is nice. Grotrian and Model B also improved.

In v6 I really have a collection of very playable pianos - with a ton of tweaking possibilities.

Well done.

very good. any thoughts about YC5?

Blüthner and Grotrian still represent the best of Pianoteq in my experience, primarily because of their bittersweet mids.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

Fleer wrote:

Blüthner and Grotrian still represent the best of Pianoteq in my experience, primarily because of their bittersweet mids.

What do you mean by "bittersweet" mids. Could you elaborate?

Sorry, I'm new to pianoteq, cheers.

Law wrote:
Fleer wrote:

No prob. My take on Pianoteq was that the mid section used to be too bland, or thin, metallic even.
Blüthner and Grotrian have mids that are, at the same time, subdued as well as full. They move me.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

thank you for your comments Fleer.
I bought Grotrian, Bluethner and YC5.

Fleer wrote:
Law wrote:
Fleer wrote:

No prob. My take on Pianoteq was that the mid section used to be too bland, or thin, metallic even.
Blüthner and Grotrian have mids that are, at the same time, subdued as well as full. They move me.

Thanks for that. Will have a play around with these two in the demo. Seems like the Grotian is very loved!

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

The Bluthner sounded very lush and rich, but a little muddy; in its updated form it is now very clear and distinct, without losing the rich sound created by the aliquot strings (extra strings for resonance). The .

I agree 100%.
Pianoteq 5 sounded pretty good allready, but i liked it most for its playing "feel".
In pianoteq 6 the sound and clearity has improved from "good" to "great" imho!!
Many thanks, Pianoteq!!

Bluthner has always been my absolute favourite and I think it will remain so. But in v6 there are now so many beautiful, superbly playable pianos that it is difficult to choose between them!

I bought all the pianos in Pianoteq 6.  I really like them all and each is great in its own way. Some I like more than others depending on if I am using my monitors and sub or my headphones. All good! I'll be switch to different amps too to just hear different flavors.
Best part is that I play way more now. I may even consider myself an actual piano player soon!

Pianoteq 7, all the pianos , a  Casio:  Px-560M, PX 3000, (2) PX350's, Mac i27 and MacBook Pro, Focusrite, Scarlette 18/20 and a bunch of speakers and headphones

i think i prefer the Bluethner from PTQ5 over the PTQ6.
its imo rougher, more filtered, less bright, more mellow. prefer it so as it is also more distinguished then vs. other piano models.
tough, playing now mostly the K2 only due to its enhanced keyrange. ( i reprogramm some keys on my keyboard to get a enhanced pentatonic range / playing only in one key. :oops: )

Funky40 wrote:

i think i prefer the Bluethner from PTQ5 over the PTQ6.

To each his or her own opinions and preferences. I strongly prefer the Bluthner in Pianoteq 6 to that in Pianoteq 5. It seems to me that all of the pianos have gained in realism, clarity and detail in their updated versions in Pianoteq 6.

--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

It seems to me that all of the pianos have gained in realism, clarity and detail in their updated versions in Pianoteq 6.

I agree on the clarity and detail, also in regards to the Bluethner model PTQ5 vs. PTQ6.
but to me the Bluethner loses some mellowness cause of this which i totally like.
seems that in this case less is more for me then

I was wondering why there is no cinematic preset for the Grotrian. The Steinways have it, the Blüthner has it, but my personal favorite (Grotrian) does not. Maybe an idea for he next update? Thanks!

Last edited by Alex Cremers (24-09-2017 07:47)