Topic: Pianoteq V6 - opinion on the 'new' Yamaha YC5

In version 6 now, the YC5-piano sounds obviously better than in Pianoteq V5.

My question is:
Do anybody recommend buying the YC5 due to the update to Pianoteq6?

I do own Pianoteq 6 now (upgraded from V5) and I do not have any additional pianos besides D4 and K2. I regard me as an very beginner in playing piano, this purchase would be 'not nothing' concerning costs - in other words - is it worth the money?
I would prefer a more 'rough' and not very clean sound, so up from the beginning I like the thought playing on the UPRIGHT or the YC5. But due to the fact, that this two plugins are rather old, I am unsure wether this would be a good purchase or not.

So folks - what is your opinion?

Novice playing piano...

Re: Pianoteq V6 - opinion on the 'new' Yamaha YC5

Hello,

The new YC5 has been improved +++++ over the v5.
It's now a really great sounding piano, at the same level with the others. It is a joy to play, and I think to buy it myself.

Now, only you can decide whether you need it or not...

IMO, the standard Steinway D and K2 are enough to play all my life.

I added other piano models because I like that, I like to try, to test... ok, but they are not needed to play or to enjoy the piano.

Last edited by stamkorg (11-09-2017 19:28)

The YC5 really got better in V6. There are some trolls on Pianoworld who said the trebble it's still synthetic, but in a rock piano tune it's just this way. Maybe there could be new a preset for YC5, less rock and more classic, just to prove for all that it's not a deffect from pianoteq engine.

The U4 also sound very good now. I didn't made a comparisom but I can feel. I would like to suggest to add U4 for the comparison page.

Last edited by Beto-Music (11-09-2017 21:12)

Thanks for your opinion.

I bought the Yamaha (I guess YC5 should be a Yamaha...) though I did not plan to buy any other instrument in Pianoteq because the D4 seems to be more than enough concerning quality.

I do not play piano regularely, and as a beginner, Pianoteq 5 Stage, upgraded to Pianoteq 5 Standard (microphone setting are the only reason), upgraded now to version 6 and now having bought the YC5 is way more money I ever wanted to spend for a piano software.

But to make it short:

I think, the YC5 just 'fits' to me. I like the rough sound. And now, with verson 6, this rather old instrument in pianoteq no have this metal sound any longer.

Last edited by Analogus (11-09-2017 22:45)
Novice playing piano...

Beto: I think I am the troll you refer to. Please explain why you think expressing this opinion is being a "troll". (just for the record, it is some notes in the middle registers of a particular recording that Stephen provided )
I am simply expressing my opinion. I am not out to get Pianoteq. I assure you whenever a new version is released, I drop everything and try it.

Greg.

All of the pianos are updated in Pianoteq 6, and they all sound great. I used to ignore the Yamaha C5 model grand (the YC5), but it is now one of my favorites. Actually, all of the pianos are now my favorites for different reasons, and it's sometimes hard to choose between them.

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

I refered more about pianoworld, more specifically about people who compared to a 80's keyboard, the radical guys...  Not sure if you fit this type. Do you ?

skip wrote:

Beto: I think I am the troll you refer to. Please explain why you think expressing this opinion is being a "troll". (just for the record, it is some notes in the middle registers of a particular recording that Stephen provided )
I am simply expressing my opinion. I am not out to get Pianoteq. I assure you whenever a new version is released, I drop everything and try it.

Greg.

Beto: thanks - I'm glad you weren't necessarily referring to me. I don't think I'm radical, but maybe others do - maybe it's normal for radical people not to realise it themselves. ;^)

I hate the word "troll" - I think it's overused. It means that the person is saying bad things just for the fun of it, or to harm. Even when people exaggerate, I don't think of them as "trolls" - I just think they're trying to get their point across. I'd need a LOT of evidence before I truly accepted that someone was a genuine troll.

skip wrote:

I hate the word "troll" - I think it's overused. It means that the person is saying bad things just for the fun of it, or to harm. Even when people exaggerate, I don't think of them as "trolls" - I just think they're trying to get their point across. I'd need a LOT of evidence before I truly accepted that someone was a genuine troll.

Good point and an admirable attitude.

--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
skip wrote:

Good point and an admirable attitude.

+1

I agree that the YC5 has become almost an entirely new instrument, now.

The newly refined engine is the mother of dragons, and the dragons are wonderful. (No offense intended towards EvilDragon, who was I believe born before we had any inkling that there was a mother of dragons.)

Pianoteq V2 :

PunBB bbcode test

Pianoteq V6 :

PunBB bbcode test

Jake Johnson wrote:

I agree that the YC5 has become almost an entirely new instrument, now.

The newly refined engine is the mother of dragons, and the dragons are wonderful. (No offense intended towards EvilDragon, who was I believe born before we had any inkling that there was a mother of dragons.)

The YC5 is really great now and for me it's a new add-on for the price of the update (I haved bought YC5). I think we can improved the trebble with the equaliser.
My prefered piano for the moment.

oh wow... TOTALLY improved. was the most disappointing model (with add on cost) to date... lot of good things in Pianoteq but YC5 was never one of them...

and now...

oh yeah... really useful. bottom end needs to be rounder but yeah, this thing is finally usable!

Kudos to the Pianoteq team on this one, and double kudos 'cause I see less limiting, less delay compensation being "on" in the presets... everything breathes better and sounds more natural with these off!!!

skip wrote:

Very good points, and related to so much more than pianoteq or pianos.

That said, I own the pianoteq YC5 since quite some years and liked it, but now in Pianoteq 6 it truly sounds better than ever. But that is true for all pianos, I did not even have enough time to test them all now, but the Kremsegg instruments do sound so wonderful, one is really happy to play them. It is all personal taste, but most of us seem to agree that all instruments now sound even better. I own them nearly all, just not the much praised Grotrian and the Steinway Model B, and even now couldn't say which instruments I like most.  Like Beto-music said, the U4 is outstanding, too. What a wonderful work of the team and the beta-testers, really.

Concerning the dragons I like the little one said to be v2 far more , but not so with pianoteq .

Off topic for this thread, but the Kremsegg instruments, I love them all starting from the wonderful Bechstein, Streicher, Frenzel, Pleyel, Erard well ALL, really - are a must-have for me. These Klänge and sounds go far beyond fortepiano-for-music-of-that-period use. And they sound better now from what I heard up to now. Unbelievable.

Afer a couple of days playing with the YC5 I would say:

It's my favorite piano now.

General I would say pianoteq 6 is better. But the differences are not always hearable up from the first minute. What I recognized from the beginning is a better '3D-feeling', I feel more 'sitting in front of a piano'.

I have to hold myself back not to buy the UPRIGHT. For my part as noob the YC5 should be enough.

Novice playing piano...

Debate about V6 in KVRaudio :

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi...56165fadc5

Over here: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic...72#p950272 Stephen_Doonan asked me whether I had tried the new YC5. Yes, I have. For an example of a sound that I think is excellent, please refer to this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_97KkAFM7HI&t=601s which uses a Yamaha baby grand, model unknown. (I have asked - no reply yet). 

I think the YC5 falls a fair way short "out of the box", but maybe someone can come up with a preset that gets me closer.  I'll be up front and say I currently have a negative "doubting Thomas" attitude, so it probably needs someone with a better attitude than me to do the editing. ;^) Maybe I don't deserve any help and should just go and jump in the lake.

Seriously though - I would be genuinely appreciative of anyone's time.

Greg.

skip wrote:

Maybe I don't deserve any help and should just go and jump in the lake.

No, your preferences are your preferences, as valid as anyone else's. I think I'll take a good listen to the full YouTube video.

Edit-- Gosh, Greg, the audio in that YouTube video makes that Yamaha grand sound like a rinky-dink, tinny bar piano.

OK, How does this sound to your ears?

Pianoteq YC5 Yamaha grand, bright, edited
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...bright.mp3

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (16-09-2017 00:54)
--

Skip, Modartt need you and similars to point where still there is evidence of artificiality, even if 95% ou more of people dod not notice.

Well, there was a time, in earlier versions,when everyone pointed specially the middle range as problematic. In the last days I only heard you refer about the trebble as still synthetic.

Last edited by Beto-Music (15-09-2017 23:43)

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
skip wrote:

Maybe I don't deserve any help and should just go and jump in the lake.

No, your preferences are your preferences, as valid as anyone else's. I think I'll take a good listen to the full YouTube video.

Edit-- Gosh, Greg, the audio in that YouTube video makes that Yamaha grand sound like a rinky-dink, tinny bar piano.

OK, How does this sound to your ears?

Pianoteq YC5 Yamaha grand, bright, edited
http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...bright.mp3

wow!! to my ears, you sound delightful. super enjoyed. listened twice.

---
Uploaded an .fxp custom-preset file of the YC5 edited in Pianoteq Pro 6 (using the Note Edit feature) for brightness and evenness across the keyboard range.

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/file/7qw998y2

(MP3 demo file included with .fxp file in "FXP Corner" link in webpage header)

Be sure to use an appropriate velocity curve suited to the velocity response of your particular MIDI keyboard, or this .fxp custom preset is likely to sound much too bright even when played with a moderate touch or softly.

If you like the .fxp preset but feel it can be improved in some way after using it for a while, please let me know.

(Note: this is not the preset referred to in my previous post in this topic and used for its MP3 file, nor am I trying to imitate the sound of the recorded Yamaha grand in the YouTube video above.)

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (16-09-2017 13:53)
--

awesome.
thank you very much!!!!
how super generous of you.

Stephen: sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'm not wowed yet. There is a TON of high frequency stuff going on in the YT clip that I don't hear in yours.  Yours sounds pretty, but quite a long way from the clip.

I haven't tried your preset yet - just listening to your audio.

And I'm not having to use high end gear to hear the difference - phone over BT to car stereo.

Thanks for your time though.

Greg.

skip wrote:

Stephen: sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'm not wowed yet. There is a TON of high frequency stuff going on in the YT clip that I don't hear in yours.  Yours sounds pretty, but quite a long way from the clip.

@Greg--
Please feel free to be a wet blanket if you wish.

I'm not trying to imitate the YouTube clip; I'm not very impressed with its audio. I'm merely trying to create a YC5 preset that is fairly bright and even across the range, with some additional character (such as condition, unison width expansion and hammer noise, changes in soundboard impedance, direct sound duration, string length, etc.), a custom preset that I can be happy with myself.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (16-09-2017 03:36)
--

Oops - sorry Stephen - my mistake.

I am extremely impressed with the YT clip - if anyone else wants to have a crack.......

Greg

I'm hearing a high pitched upper harmonics when I play the YC5 with the pedal that I'd like to dial back a little bit. I have P6 Standard. Any suggestions?

Last edited by beakybird (17-09-2017 04:40)
Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

I'm hearing a high pitched upper harmonics when I play the YC5 with the pedal that I'd like to dial back a little bit. I have P6 Standard. Any suggestions?

Try adjusting the Equalizer (which affects each note individually before the combined output signal), the EQU3 parametric equalizer in the effects (which affects the stereo or multiple output), reducing the hammer hardness, especially for the mezzo (medium) and forte (loud) velocity ranges. You can also try lowering the Impedance (of the soundboard), adjusting the Direct Sound Duration (to a higher value perhaps). Just a few ideas.

It's beneficial to become familiar with Pianoteq's various adjustments, because only your ears, while you are listening to the sound, can determine which of them have the most effect, or any effect at all, on the particular aspect of the sound that you are focused upon. Sometimes those inconsistencies and idiosyncracies of sound are in the speakers, headphones or somewhere else in the audio-signal chain, however.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-09-2017 14:32)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

Try adjusting the Equalizer (which affects each note individually before the combined output signal), the EQU3 parametric equalizer in the effects (which affects the stereo or multiple output), reducing the hammer hardness, especially for the mezzo (medium) and forte (loud) velocity ranges. You can also try lowering the Impedance (of the soundboard), adjusting the Direct Sound Duration (to a higher value perhaps). Just a few ideas.

Thanks, Stephen. I like the YC5, and I think you did a great job on that FXP. I don't understand how you make that fast velocity curve play normal.

L

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

Thanks, Stephen. I like the YC5, and I think you did a great job on that FXP. I don't understand how you make that fast velocity curve play normal.

If the preset doesn't sound right or good to you with your MIDI keyboard and playing technique, be sure to change to a different velocity curve that is more appropriate for your keyboard and your fingers, or that FXP could sound awfully sharp and harsh. You could first Reset the velocity curve (using its own title menu), then choose one of the faster or slower keyboard velocity curves, until you find one that sounds good. My MIDI keyboard (a Kawai VPC1, tends to send "hot" MIDI velocities even with moderate finger force, so I had to create a fairly steep downward velocity curve for it.

Another thing you could do to take off the sharp edge (overly treble) of the FXP I made is to either reset the Equalizer (to make it have a flat response) or turn off the Equalizer (click its glowing green "LED" to turn it off).

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (17-09-2017 16:37)
--

Stephen, the velocity curve you chose seemed to balance whatever else you did so that the FXP responded to my keyboard the way other presets do that have normal velocity.

When I play the YC5, the upper harmonics sound similar to a glass harp. It's beautiful, but a little too strong for my taste. I just scaled back the sympathetic resonance and cut-off - both a tad. It made the instrument more to my liking.

I'm glad I splurged on the YC5.

ATH-M50x headphones.

beakybird wrote:

I'm glad I splurged on the YC5.

I bought the YC5 a while back, but usually ignored it in favor of the Grotrian Concert Royal and the Model B in Pianoteq 5. But I love the YC5 in Pianoteq 6.

--

Actually, scaling back the Duplex Scale slider also effects the volume of the upper harmonics. I dialed it back from 1.00 to 0.85, and the YC5 sounded just right.

L

ATH-M50x headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTCexQP3Q4