Topic: upgrade to Pro advice

hi,
   I am posting to ask please for advice?
I have Pianoteq 5. missed the free upgrade by 10 days. oh well. 
what I am wondering about is if anyone would please tell me if they have any thoughts about whether it would be worth it for me to upgrade from Standard to Pro?
the thing I really want to find out about is the 192 kHz.
my interface is an RME Babyface (the older one, not the Babyface Pro).
also, I use headphones 99% of the time.

this is from Pianoteq's website:

"PIANOTEQ PRO offers an internal sample rate of up to 192 kHz. Up to 48 kHz in PIANOTEQ Stage and Standard."

would anyone please tell me their thoughts?
thank you.

Last edited by chasmanian (09-09-2017 16:45)

Re: upgrade to Pro advice

I love the Pro version of Pianoteq. The 192 kHz sampling rate was initially one of the reasons I upgraded, but I have found (like others, apparently) that 48 kHz sounds almost imperceptibly different than 192 kHz, although the latter probably has more detail and is perhaps better for creating audio files for further editing (although others will know more about the advantages of higher sampling rate than I do).

But now after using Pianoteq Pro for a while, it is the extensive and extremely powerful Note Edit feature that I appreciate the most and use all the time. The Note Edit feature alone, in my opinion is more than worth the upgrade price, even if it were the only difference between Pianoteq "flavors" (between Standard and Pro).

--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

I personally would not move from std to pro solely on the 192 kHZ...

The only real reason which should motivate such a move is how important do you find the note by note tweaking.

Lucy wrote:

I personally would not move from std to pro solely on the 192 kHZ...

The only real reason which should motivate such a move is how important do you find the note by note tweaking.

Not only note-by-note, but range by range. For example, in some pianos (like the K2), I like to reduce the impedance of the soundboard somewhat using the Impedance slider, and then use the Note Editor to boost the impedance a little, gradually from about middle C, for the treble range, while reducing the impedance using a similar slope or sloped plateau in the opposite direction for the bass range. I also find the Note Editor extremely useful for addressing resonances and idiosyncracies in my audio chain (signal route, amplifiers, monitor speakers, headphones, etc.), for adding randomness to many of the parameters for a more natural human and acoustic piano sound, and for other reasons. I love the Note Edit feature.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (09-09-2017 17:45)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

thank you very much for your excellent replies Stephen and Lucy!!! 

Last edited by chasmanian (10-09-2017 03:56)

Hello, I share the same opinon as Lucy and Stephen. You will not have a real difference between 48000 and 192000 kHz. In comparaison, I saw for the great deal of people, the latency is a very important thing, and as the same, under 5 or even 10 ms, I never noticed a significant difference. It is also the same with the Midi dialect, standart or high resolution. I never listened a real difference.  It is always better to try to have the best latency, sample rate and Midi dialect. Other thing that I do not understand, the latency seems to decrease when the sample rate increase.

With Realtek HD audio, I read in the options/devices of the Pianoteq that when the audio sample increase, for the same audio buffer size, the latency decrease.

Example : for 512 samples, at 44.000 kHz, 11.6 ms, at 48.000, 10.7 ms; ... ; 96.000 , 5.3 ms ; ... ; 192.000 , 2.7 ms

If someone could explain why, it would be nice.

I will go to a auditorium to try my Pianoteq 6 with a high end DAC first at 192.000 kHz and after at 48.000 kHz using a stereophonic class A amplifier. I will only take my laptop and use some Midi files than I record at home with Pianoteq 6 to do the test. If someone is interesting, I will write my own feeling of this experience.

With Pianoteq 6, at 192.000 kHz, the CPU usage stays under 25 per cent when playing for example the prelude in C sharp minor Opus 3 number 2 composed by Mr Rachmaninov, it is half of what Pianoteq 5 used.

very good.
thank you Yangyang.
I am now only wondering about if the Note Editor in Pro makes it worth it for me to upgrade to Pro.
I'm really not sure.