Topic: Half sustain pedal via mouseclick [Solved].. Two new Vibraphone fxp ;)

Following on from my topic about the v6 vibraphones (and the fact that it, as well as other instruments, does recognise half-pedalling), would it be possible, using mouseclick on the sustain pedal of the GUI, to obtain the "half-pedal" position, either by positioning the mouseclick, or maybe via a modifier key from the computer?

Last edited by vic_france (10-09-2017 01:32)
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.0.30.266| and others ;)

Re: Half sustain pedal via mouseclick [Solved].. Two new Vibraphone fxp ;)

Instead of clicking the sustain pedal, you can drag it to the position you want.

Pianoteq 6 makes it very easy to get the behavior you want using a simple on/off sustain pedal (rather than a continous 0-127 values pedal).

Before giving you a step-by-step process, which of the following do you prefer--

* Vibraphone with toggle-able states of either FULL sustain or HALF (partial) sustain?
--or--
* Vibraphone with toggle-able states of either NO sustain or HALF (partial) sustain?

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (09-09-2017 14:18)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

musichascolors wrote:

Instead of clicking the sustain pedal, you can drag it to the position you want.

Perfect! thank you. (I didn't realise it was already possible)

.. and just tried that on the Soft pedal too.. get some lovely results on the vibraphone with that

Last edited by vic_france (09-09-2017 14:38)
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.0.30.266| and others ;)

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

It's not necessary to use the mouse. It's easy in Pianoteq 6 to get the behavior you want from a simple on/off sustain pedal (rather than a continous 0-127 values pedal).

Hello Stephen,
Yes I know we can set the ranges for incoming MIDI data, but that is not what I am after here (I still want my sustain pedal to toggle between "off" and "full sustain".. I just wanted a (temporary) means to obtain the half-pedal position.. and now I know it is already possible via dragging with the mouse ). And in any case, it would only be for these specific presets, not globally. But thanks for replying.. it is indeed useful info to have available online .

Last edited by vic_france (09-09-2017 14:32)

vic_france wrote:

Hello Stephen,
Yes I know we can set the ranges for incoming MIDI data, but that is not what I am after here (I still want my sustain pedal to toggle between "off" and "full sustain".. I just wanted a (temporary) means to obtain the half-pedal position).

Then you could probably use a key on your MIDI keyboard that is unused by the Vibraphone to quickly set the sustain to an intermediate partial-sustain value, then press the key again to toggle it off to 0 again in order to use your On/Off sustain footswitch (pedal).

You could try this--

* Open Options --> MIDI
* Tap the lowest note on your MIDI keyboard (on an 88-key keyboard, that would be the lowest A, MIDI note 21)
* Click the "Insert" button at lower right
* Right-click on the left-most button of the inserted entry (which will probably be at the top of the MIDI-map list, and highlighted in gray), which is the MIDI event to trigger an action, and from the drop-down list, choose the "Note 21 On" event (or whichever-numbered note you tapped in step 2)
* Right-click on the third button from the left in your new MIDI-map entry (the action to trigger), and choose "Set Parameter" --> Pedals --> Pedal 4 (which is the sustain pedal)
* In the value range-entry fields at the right of your new MIDI-map entry, click and drag in the first (left) one to make the value "0" and in the right range-entry field, click and drag to somewhere between 0.33 and 0.45 (for example)
* Click the "G" (global) button at extreme left of the entry to change it to "P" (so that it will apply only when the preset you already have selected (one of the Vibraphone presets) is the chosen preset
* Click on the title of the MIDI-map and use the drop-down menu to save your new MIDI-map as a custom map for later use
* As a final step, if the preset you have chosen displays "(modified)" to the right of the preset name, save the preset as a custom personal preset using the save button (the middle button to the right of the preset name)

Now when you choose/load that MIDI map or use the MIDI map menu to set it as the default, then choose your custom preset, the lowest key on your keyboard (or whatever key you specified in steps 2 and 4 above) will toggle between setting the sustain pedal (pedal 4) to 0 (so that you can use the sustain footswitch to toggle between 0 and 127) and 0.33 (or 0.45, or whatever half- or partial-value for sustain you chose when you created the custom MIDI-map entry.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (09-09-2017 22:03)
--

Stephen_Doonan wrote:

* Click the "G" (global) button at extreme left of the entry to change it to "P" (so that it will apply only when the preset you already have selected (one of the Vibraphone presets) is the chosen preset

That's the game changer! Thank you!
Very good suggestion.. I shall definitely add that to those factory presets (and maybe use a few other spare keys for variable Soft pedal positions)
Thanks again .

As a sidenote..
We see post after post (justifiably) praising the continuing improvement in the sound of Pianoteq, but, IMHO, not enough is ever said about what an astounding piece of software this is .

(5 mins later ).. just used the lowest three notes on my 88-note keyboard for "Off", Half" and "Full" (rather than having to hold down the note in order to obtain the result).. it's brilliant! Can't thank you enough . (and just added more of the same for the Soft and Celeste pedals.. gorgeous! )

Last edited by vic_france (09-09-2017 15:38)

Glad to help. Very impressed with Pianoteq's new and improved features (this "G" (global) and "P" (Preset-specific) button/parameter in the MIDI mapping is new with Pianoteq 6, and very useful). And yes, the updated instruments and audio engine improvements get most of the attention, for good reason, but Pianoteq is also a marvel of efficiency, functionality and versatility.

--

I've just uploaded two more Vibraphone presets (one for V-B, the other for V-M)
They are based on their respective factory "Tremo" presets, but make use of the lowest 10 notes of an 88-note keyboard as the following keyswitches..

MIDI Note #21 (A-1) = Sustain pedal Up
MIDI Note #22 (A#-1) = Sustain pedal Half
MIDI Note #23 (B-1) = Sustain pedal Down
MIDI Note #24 (C0) = Soft pedal Up
MIDI Note #25 (C#0) = Soft pedal Half
MIDI Note #26 (D0) = Soft pedal Down
MIDI Note #27 (D#0) = Celeste pedal Up
MIDI Note #28 (E0) = Celeste pedal Half
MIDI Note #29 (F0) = Celeste pedal Down
MIDI Note #30 (F#0) = Tremo toggle On/Off