Topic: V6: Changing the MIDI Archive Folder

I currently updated from 5 std. to 6 std. All instruments are soundig that great! Well done Pianoteq!

But I miss the option to change the default archive-folder from ...\AppData\Roaming\Modartt\Pianoteq\Archive.
Is there a way?

Re: V6: Changing the MIDI Archive Folder

Not as far as I know. All Pianoteq data is in Roaming folder (presets, settings, addons), so it should stay that way, as this is following Microsoft's programming guidelines to the tee.

Last edited by EvilDragon (09-09-2017 10:16)
Hard work and guts!

My only complaint about PT6 is that it seems to have a fixed folder for archive.  If you change the folder it does not remember that and the next time goes back to the original folder.   I much preferred the previous method in PT5.   Maybe this behavior could be made configurable, those who want to conform to MS standards can do that, others can use the previous behavior.

Do you mean that the folder that is selectable in 'options / General' is not recalled ? I just tried and it works fine here.

Or maybe you are clicking on the 'Browse' button of the MIDI Archiver settings window, assuming that it will change the folder used to save MIDI archives ? If that's the case, maybe we should rename that button, I don't know. It is not intended to change the folder, but just to allow the user to see the save MIDI files, and manage them (delete , move, rename etc)

julien wrote:

Do you mean that the folder that is selectable in 'options / General' is not recalled ? I just tried and it works fine here.

Yes Julien, it works fine for me too, but you can not move the Archive folder alone, you must move the three folders together.
I would like to leave the Presets and Addons where they are and move only the Archive folder to another HD.

Well, you can do that with symbolic links...

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

Well, you can do that with symbolic links...

I just do not want my .mid files to be stored on my SSD system drive.
Will symbolic links do that ?

Yes.

But you shouldn't worry about your SSD drive, it can last a decade easily. A bunch of MIDI files won't break it.

Last edited by EvilDragon (11-09-2017 14:04)
Hard work and guts!

This is a problem for me too. Whenever I've played something worth saving, my habit is to name it and save it to a unique Music/Pianoteq folder elsewhere on my computer (synced to the Cloud). I'm glad everything I play can now be archived automatically for up to a billion years (but would it kill you to bump that up to a trillion?), but life would be easier if I didn't have to navigate to that old folder every time I want to save an outstanding MIDI file. I even preferred that the name of the previously saved MIDI file was the default, rather than "2017..." because often the name of my new file would be a variation on the previous one. All that said, Pianoteq's background MIDI recording is, arguably, worth the price of the program. It's amazing that most other MIDI apps don't have this performance anxiety-sparing feature. The rest of the program is priceless.

Last edited by S_G_B (11-09-2017 20:07)