Topic: PTQ6 Arm version on a Pi3

Has anyone got this working successfully on a Pi3 with a sound card? If so this would be amazing.

If yes then pls recommend a sound card. I'm wondering whether a standard £30 DAC hat would work or if there would be latency issues.

Re: PTQ6 Arm version on a Pi3

There is an in-depth tutorial on how to do it that you can download from Pianoteq. Here's the link:
Pianoteq_RaspberryPi3_v3.pdf
The link can be also found in
https://www.pianoteq.com/faq
under the question "How do I install Pianoteq on Raspberry Pi 3?"
The tutorial shows how to achieve higher internal sampling rates (48KHz or 44.1KHz). I am currently running Pianoteq 6 on my Raspberry Pi 3 at an internal sampling rate of 48KHz.
Have fun!

I've tested it for a while, it runs but only if you don't play many notes... it overloads the cpu easily.
Perfomance index of about 10 or something like that. A friend of mine has an ODROID (I don't remember the model), I will try pianoteq on it to see if it works...
Greetings

Last edited by marcos daniel (13-11-2017 18:22)
Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

Did you try overclocking the Raspberry Pi 3? There is a section on the tutorial that talks about overclocking the Raspberry Pi 3. Also, play around with the Polyphony number. I currently have mine at 48 and it sounds just fine.

Last edited by Edgar (13-11-2017 19:52)

Edgar, you have to work with a buffer setting of 2048 samples ?
I´d guess that could kill  some rasperry PI3 plans for some people for now.

That Rasperry PI3 tutorial is from you ?
Much Thanks then !

probably mention the best possible buffer size setting on page one or so.
could safe some people some time........

Edgar wrote:

Did you try overclocking the Raspberry Pi 3? There is a section on the tutorial that talks about overclocking the Raspberry Pi 3. Also, play around with the Polyphony number. I currently have mine at 48 and it sounds just fine.

No, I didn't, perhaps I will try this later, but I have just a small heatsink, what perfomance did you get?

Pianoteq Pro - Bechstein - Blüthner - Grotrian - K2 - Kremsegg 1 & 2 - Petrof - Steingraeber - Steinway B & D - YC5
Kawai CL35 & MP11

With a buffer size of 2048 samples I get 10.7ms delay which is not noticeable. The sampling rate and delay is dependent on the internal sampling rate, don't forget I'm running Pianoteq at 48KHz and a host sampling rate of 192KHz (this could be 96KHz and work just fine). I'm getting a performance of 17 with the RP3 overclocked to 1.4GHz. Don't take these settings the ultimate setup, play around with your settings. Change the host sampling rate to a smaller number or maybe change the internal sampling rate to 44.1KHz. Yes the tutorial was written by me, thank you Funky40.

Marcos Daniel, you can try overclocking the RP3 with just a heatsink. Monitor the temperature of the CPU so you can see how much heat the RP3 is generating due to the overclock and if the CPU temperature gets close to 82 'C (ie. 78'C, 79'C, 80'C, etc) then you will need a fan for the RP3 CPU. Overclock it following the instructions in the tutorial, open Pianoteq 6 with my settings on the tutorial (48KHz internal sampling rate, etc.), play something, and then type the following command in the terminal to check the CPU temperature:
/opt/vc/vcgencmd measure_temp

This will give you a good idea of what the temperature will be while you're using Pianoteq 6 and if you need a fan or just a heatsink. Also, try to fine tune the Pianoteq 6 setting to what your RP3 can do. Yours could be better than mine and achieve better results.