Topic: Velocity Curve

Do I have to create for every instrument another Velocity Curve? I did one for YC5 but I'm not sure if I need another one for D4, K2 or U4? When I switch to a preset of D4 for example, it just sounds strange because of the default VC.

thx,

Otis

U4, YC5, D4, K2, Pianoteq Standard 5.8.1, Win7 x64
Dell Latitude, Intel Core i5 2520M
CPU@2.50 GHz

Re: Velocity Curve

"Correction" velocity curves are for your keyboard, not for the instrument being simulated (for the most part).  But, since you are using your keyboard to play simulations of other instruments, you have to apply your curve to ALL of the instruments that you play.  This is easiest done by 'locking' the velocity curve parameter on the 'parameter lock' screen.

Where this won't work is for simulated instruments or presets that have a very different shape applied to the velocity curve for an artistic or creative reason.  For those you may want to make and save different velocity curves that have the characteristics of yours but add the creative effect (softer, harder, horizontal, sharp step, etc.).

- David

dklein wrote:

This is easiest done by 'locking' the velocity curve parameter on the 'parameter lock' screen.

I wasn't aware that I can do that. Where can I find the 'parameter lock' screen?

thx,

Otis

CPU@2.50 GHz

It's called Parameter Freeze.

"Check box" to the left of the Random button

or

Third selection of the "Window" menu

or

Ctrl-F

- David

o.k. found it. I checked on Detune, Note-on velocity, Sustain pedal response and Reverb. At last I pressed the "Set as default" button. Now, let's see what happens.

thx a lot,

Otis

CPU@2.50 GHz

Detune won't do the trick. The "condition" (Mint, used ...) of the piano is not included in the "Parameter freeze". Maybe it has to be adjusted by hand every time I switch to another piano.

Another thing is the Sustain Pedal. I have practically no sustain while pressing the sustain pedal. The sustain pedal is assigned to "Controller 64 - Any - Pedal 4 [Sustain Pedal] - range 0  1.00" Especially the YC5 should have sustain while the pedal is pressed. I really don't know what to do anymore.

thx,

Otis

CPU@2.50 GHz

Does the on-screen pedal go down when you use your pedal? If not, your keyboard isn't likely outputting pedal values.

If it is, but the effect is not pronounced enough, then you can adjust the sustain pedal curve, much as you can the velocity curve. This can be done manually, or via the same routine that walks you through setting up the velocity curve, guiding you with instructions.

- David

I did a reset on the Velocity curve and the sustain is excellent now. I just love it when the sound is fading out at the end of a song.

thx,

Otis

CPU@2.50 GHz

Tailor your sans-pedal sustain with the Impedance control under the Soundboard section of the Design panel (try raising it slightly), the primary tone/harmonic of the Spectrum profile (try raising it about 1.5 dB), and the Direction Sound Duration of the Tuning section (slide it a bit to the left, maybe to 90 or 85).  This will "richen" the relative tone sound of any piano's preset, making it more dramatic, and making notes 'hang' in the air a bit more.

- David

dklein wrote:

Tailor your sans-pedal sustain with the Impedance control under the Soundboard section of the Design panel (try raising it slightly), the primary tone/harmonic of the Spectrum profile (try raising it about 1.5 dB), and the Direction Sound Duration of the Tuning section (slide it a bit to the left, maybe to 90 or 85).  This will "richen" the relative tone sound of any piano's preset, making it more dramatic, and making notes 'hang' in the air a bit more.

That's one thing I love about Pianoteq: it allows one to tailor and customize so many parameters of the piano sound, which I'm guessing a sampled-piano library cannot accommodate to nearly as precise or extensive degree.

For many pianos including the K2 and Bluthner, I routinely lessen the impedence across the piano range (and sometimes use Note Edit to lower the impedance of the bass a little more and raise the treble a little) and sometimes shorten the direct sound duration so that piano pieces that have many fairly rapidly played notes and complex chords don't become a little too muddy and indistinct when even just briefly or frequently engaging but quickly releasing the sustain pedal. I also sometimes raise the mezzo hammer hardness a little and increase the hammer noise for a slightly more percussive and distinct sound.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (26-08-2017 15:25)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

good idea - that muddiness is an issue that I have had as well.

- David