Topic: Congrats on the new version!

Modartt team, I just wanted to congratulate you (and all of us users too) on this great upgrade!
I'm on holiday at the moment - enjoying the snow and snowboarding in Southern Germany...
I was pleasantly surprised reading the announcement on the forum that the new version was up already. So I just HAD to download this now already... ofcourse I couldn't wait until I would be home..
At the moment I'm playing around with the microphone settings for the C3 solo piano and also reading an internet article on microphone placement for recording pianos. If everything's ok I should be able to get quite useable results pretty fast this way...
Once home, I will look up the DPA demo cd that I have - I know it also gives quite some ideas for mic placement.
So far, I really enjoy the package- and sound-improvements!
So - once again - congrats... good on ya guys!!!

cheers
Hans

Last edited by creart (20-02-2009 19:51)

Re: Congrats on the new version!

Yes, I too would like to thank Julien and Philippe... for forcing me to spend another $300 on this incredible piano!!! 

Over the past year I have been scaling EVERYTHING back in my studio including a migration over to a notebook PC (an extremely awesome notebook PC!).  When I first became aware of Pianoteq (v2) and how it totally abandoned the need for a huge fast dedicated hard drive, I felt that I had finally found the perfect solution for my new compact needs.  Unfortunately, the sound of the instrument was still a little 'digital' and sterile for me.

Well all of that has changed now!!  I think the main reason for this is the new C3 model and the mic placement feature.  No longer does it sound like the note is being produced and "heard" directly from a very hard soundboard.  I can back the "microphones" off a bit, place them exactly where I want them to be, and get that soft, warm, deep tone that I love from a Steinway D.  I'm absolutely amazed and inspired by this technology and this wonderful instrument you have created.

So, you've done it.  You've converted a hard-core sample library player and I hope you're happy.

You should be. 

Curt

I would like to request a favor for you forum member.

The ones among you, who have a good 5.1 sound system connected to the piano, and now are testing the mic position of V-3, could please post some photographs of the system installed?

Congradualtions indeed...
I think I'll be using this from now on.
I have been using Gigastudio and Kontakt under Bidule for my live rig and trying to avoid the whole 64bit debacle on that particular DAW, PTeq 3.0 uses very little IPS's or RAM it appears, so now I can unload my Grand, Rhodes and Wurly from Giga/GVI, and use VSL & SISS libraries simultaneously now.
Getting a decent Upright sound by stretching the strings is also useful for ensemble work.

I am waiting for my new XITE-1 1U DSP rack, which is basically 12 Scope Professional cards power and new specs. 5.1 Surround Reverbs @ 96k, etc.
I will post a demo after Musik Messe.

Really Nice Job Guys.....

Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....

I am deeply impressed by the new version. Not only does it seem as 'rock solid' as all previous versions (that's great for any .0 version), but the features and overall progress in sound make for an even bigger jump than 2.0 did (which was already a huge step).

The mic placement feature is indeed THE most important thing that was missing from v2, and it is getting ever closer to the real thing.

Side note: Thanks for keeping it free. I would gladly have paid a fee for it. Maybe you could be making more money...

I would like to join in: Congratulations! An amazing piano!

I love the feeling of increased "depth" of the piano representation, I have the feeling that C3 especially has a more complex timbre than C2 in v2, and a more "lush and full sound" as a forum member put it.

What really impressed me is the feeling of immersion one can now get when using headphones and a binaural setup in a player perspective. It's really great fun to play!

That said, the head size setting makes a huge difference and it is not easy to find the right value. I ended up doing it the following way:

I repeatedly played chromatic scales for each trial value of head size.

1. If the head size is severely wrong, the stereo location of the string being played is not clearly defined (try it, you'll hear what i mean).
2. After adjusting that, the fine tuning can be done by playing scales and listening to the timbre of each note: A slightly wrong head size leads to one or more isolated _discolored_ notes. The location of these funny keys changes with the head size setting. Fine-tune until you can find no discolored notes anymore.
3. enjoy!

Finally, a suggestion for the developers: giving the possibility to directly enter a numerical parameter for the head size would make this adjustment process easier.

keep up the good work!

I know we should put a "tips & tricks" section somewhere, probably in the help menu of the program. You can enter a numerical value for the head parameters by right-clicking (ctrl-clicking on mac) on the head itself (you have X, Y, Z positions), or its "radius" arrow, or its "angle" arrow. It is also true for most other controls (sliders, pedals, mics etc)

Alt-click resets the sliders to their default value.

pressing shift while dragging a slider slows its movement.

Ctrl-click (command-click on mac) toggles the "midi-learn" mode (it works also on most upper buttons such as "prev preset", the current preset, "next preset", "random" etc)

I think that's all for the mouse combos :)

Thanks for your dedication to this instrument. I bought early when the instrument was not quite "there" yet, to help fund and encourage development. My investment in Modartt and Pianoteq has clearly been a good one.