Topic: Wishlist for Pianoteq V3.x

I'm starting a new thread for suggestions for the new version of Pianoteq!

- Add an option to set automatically "Above Normal" or "High" priority for Pianoteq and all its related processes and threads (sound, asio, etc). This could solve some latency and sound issues when used together with other programs.

Re: Wishlist for Pianoteq V3.x

And render the system unstable at most cases? No, latency issues are purely up to ASIO drivers and sound card that is used...

Hard work and guts!

I do it often and the system does not become unstable; setting priority to just "above normal" isn't going to harm system stability anyway. Don't take literally the dialog box that pops out when you try to change this setting in the task manager. It can be a problem in some cases and programs at "high" and almost certainly at "realtime", but "above normal" is pretty much 100% safe. And besides, this would be only an option for "advanced users" and would be defaulted to "normal".

Other applications also have this option, like for example some video players, which can prevent occasional stutterings and frame dropouts.

The latency issues I'm talking about are sound cracklings like those which occur when audio buffer is set too low. I have noticed that when many programs are opened at the same time (and probably using some cpu cycles) the "crackling threshold" is lower (crackling occurs at higher asio buffer settings). Increasing a little Pianoteq cpu priority seems to mitigate this issue.

Before you ask me, no, I would prefer to not close each time all my open programs before using Pianoteq.

Last edited by s12a (20-02-2009 13:01)

Mic positioning is great!
You could still do some refinements to the "virtual room user interface"

For example if I want to place my microphone all the way against the wall far away from the piano it's a bit slow to scroll several windows all the time. It would be nice if the 2 big screens would automatically ZOOM out so that every mic in the room would fit in. That way I wouldn't need to navigate through 3 seperate windows.
What do you think...?

Also different room types would be interesting to see.
Or a room constructor (http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_RaySpace.html)

I hope Philippe have a good lawyer.

The last adjustable control, Sound Speed, it's a huge infringement of the laws of physics.      :-)

For a future version I would like to have a option really very crazy...  Like, "piano underwater", that would emulate how a piano would sound underwater.

Last edited by Beto-Music (20-02-2009 16:41)

I would like a bit of an explanation for the need to adjust the velocity of sound.

While I realize it does change with air temperature and humidity, from the pianists perspective (sitting two feet or so from the tuning pins) it isn't significant at all.

Other factors such as mic placement would be far more significant (as I discovered by putting the fifth mic under the piano).

Glenn

Velocity of sound is related to mic placement. The room is big. How much does it take for the sound to travel from soundboard to distant mics? Things change, albeit slightly.

Hard work and guts!

Wishlist:

Larger pop-up screens for the Tuning, Voicing, Design and EQ screens.

Trying to read and/or adjust the Spectrum Profile (in particular) is difficult with it being so small.

The pop-up concept of the microphone screen is a superb piece of programming - the mics can easily be moved about with the mouse.  Now with these other parameters having larger pop-ups, this would greatly enable adjustments.

And thanks for the fix - now I have all my pianos available (especially my C2 Chamber which suits some of my arrangements which often go right to the upper end of the keyboard).

Right now I'm listening to my own version of Georgia On My Mind -with the Erard Binaural (stretched to 2.90 metres) never sounded better.

Glenn

What about a few esthetic change, like a layout color and pattern to the historic piano add-ons, similar the electric pianos changes the visual when we called?

Would be nice. Maybe a pattern and color that remember old adorned wood.

Last edited by Beto-Music (21-02-2009 01:08)

s12a wrote:

I'm starting a new thread for suggestions for the new version of Pianoteq!

- Add an option to set automatically "Above Normal" or "High" priority for Pianoteq and all its related processes and threads (sound, asio, etc). This could solve some latency and sound issues when used together with other programs.

Not sure if you are aware, but it turns out in Windows there is a way to run programs automatically at other priority levels using a batch file.  Open up Notepad under accessories and type the following (or whatever the path is to your program):

start "WPM" /high "C:\Program Files\Pianoteq 3.0\Pianoteq30.exe"

Then save the file wherever you like with a name like Pianoteq3.bat.  Then, doubleclick on the file you just created, and Windows will run Pianoteq in a high priority mode, saving you the trouble of manually changing the priority.  Here is a random web site I found that says more or less what I just said: http://members.ziggo.nl/gigajosh/2006/0...rity.html.

You have to be careful doing this, as some programs load other programs that need to be in sync with each other or they will crash.  Pianoteq seems run O.K. on my computer when I do this.

What I really want back is my C2 Chamber from PT 2.3.

I've tried everything I can think of in PT 3.0 and simply cannot duplicate the clear melodic upper registers the old C2 Chamber in 2.3 had.

The C2 Chamber in 3.0 simply does not match 2.3 for upper register strength and purity.  Using a Binaural setting does help, but it's still not there.

I have recorded wave files of the same midi and they are quite different.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Glenn

Glenn NK wrote:

What I really want back is my C2 Chamber from PT 2.3.

I've tried everything I can think of in PT 3.0 and simply cannot duplicate the clear melodic upper registers the old C2 Chamber in 2.3 had.

The C2 Chamber in 3.0 simply does not match 2.3 for upper register strength and purity.  Using a Binaural setting does help, but it's still not there.

I have recorded wave files of the same midi and they are quite different.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Glenn

I've had this problem, too.  Here is what I did to get closer to version 2.3.  I think the issue is with the equalizer, velocity curve, and the limiter (maybe).  Anyway, I set the equalizer, velocity curve, reverb settings, and limiter settings to never change in the "freeze parameter" options.  Then, I turned off the limiter.  I don't think I understand the limiter at this point.  Next, I set the equalizer to -2.7 dB lower at the bass end and to 2.7 db at the treble end.  It is a straight line in between.  I did this because I feel the bass is too strong at the expense of treble and mid-tones.  The other thing I did is set the velocity curve to normal by right clicking in the velocity box (not on the curve).  I like having some reverb and am using auditorium - audience reverb.  Anyway, when I did this, it seemed like the melodic upper notes (or singing tone) came back, though I am still not sure I got back to where version 2.3 of Pianoteq is.  Yesterday, I was quite frustrated because I felt like I could not create a singing tone like I could in 2.3.  However, I am feeling a bit better using version 3.0 today, though I would like to improve it some more as I love the singing tone in version 2.3 a lot and want this in version 3.0.  I think the new C3 sounds sounded much better when I used these settings and starts to sing, where as yesterday, it seemed choppy.  The bass was so strong for me yesterday it sounded like a bass guitar and I could not hear the upper notes at all.  Please post if this helps and if you figure out anything else as I would be interested.

Hi all,
The essential difference between:
A = C2 chamber listened in Pianoteq 2.3
B = C2 chamber listened in Pianoteq 3 (through file V2.ptq)
is in the volume. In order to put B at the same loudness as the new C3 and M3 instruments, we had to reduce the volume of C2 chamber, which is now 3dB below the original version in Pianoteq 2.3. Thus B+3dB is almost the same as A. The very tiny difference that may still remain is due to the change of model, although we did the maximum to make old instruments compatible with the new model (but it was only 99.99% possible, not 100%!).