Re: Piano V

I think is not the same perspective.

I hear the very weird harp-like resonances of the first models of Pianoteq.

"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Not the best representation of either piano, and not a great piece of music, IMO. I'm guessing piano 1 is Arturia and Piano 2 is Modartt. I slightly prefer piano 1.
I have done a lot of A/B comparison at home, and sound-wise, both softwares have equal appeal to me. Pianoteq is more stable, customizable, and has a superior interface. But IMO, what Arturia achieves with modeling is impressive.

Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

I don't know which one is which, to me the 2-d one sound a bit more interesting. Listened on average speakers only, no precise listening on a headphones.

Last edited by AKM (19-12-2017 17:41)

"Piano 1 is Arturia V2 on the American Init setting with mics switched to Studio, no effects. Piano 2 is the Pianoteq Steinway D on Studio Recording BA, no effects."

Odd comparison. The V Piano preset has two mics over the keyboard, with their amplitude raised, and two mics near the center of the piano set to lower volumes. The Pianoteq preset is one that has only two mics, both close mics set to the right of the piano. (It's actually a little hard to tell the position of these rear mics in the V Piano). I think this comparison was done on the basis of the similar names of the presets, instead of the actual mic settings.

I have played with a lot of the Arturia presets. They sound very organic. Someone had used the word "veiled," and I think that might be a valid criticism.

Last edited by beakybird (21-12-2017 06:07)
Pianoteq 6 Std, Bluthner, Model B, Grotian, YC5, Hohner, Kremsegg #1, Electric Pianos. Roland FP-90, Windows 10 quad core, Xenyx Q802USB, Yamaha HS8 monitors, Audio Technica
ATH-M50x headphones.

Arturia Piano V is no where near or aiming to be like Pianoteq. The presets in Piano V sound more like creative inspiration than authentic models. Have they gotten any official blessings from manufacturers to use official model names as with Modartt?

I like Both plugins and use for different purposes.  They don’t seem to compete directly. If anything, Arturia is just taking a broad shot at the plugin market with their V Collection to stay relevant across the board...a decent effort.

Anyway, no need to pay too much for the Arturia, as you get all 88 presets in Analog Lab 3.

Pianoteq 8 Pro Studio with Classical Guitar and Organteq 2

I've playing with V2 for some weeks now and must say I'm quite impressed despite all the negative comments about V1 and some eskepticals about V2..

To be honest, at some moments while playing it, I'm still trying to convince myself it doesn't sound better than PTQ does, but hey this thing is pretty awesome, bravo Arturia.

Said that, the software is pretty limited when it comes to customization, cannot place the mics, cannot choose type of mics etc.. PTQ is far ahead in this regard, ages ahead.

But what I really liked in V2 is that whatever piano you play, it will preseve the same configurations for mics, reverb and EQ as long as you're choosing the same patch (say classic american and classic german..). This is something I always ask myself when it comes to PTQ, why player perspective is different from a piano to another..? Lot of parameters like mic type and positions, reverbs, EQ, Effects etc vary which in my opinion shoudn´t..

Anyway, not to put down PTQ which I still enjoy a lot and among my favourites.

Regards.

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa XGT>FP90X>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro (all instruments) + Organteq 2
i7 4790K W10 64bits + Behringer UMC1820
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz

”Hi, I am sitting at the wonderful, amazing Bluethner Grand piano, a beautiful instrument. Let’s see what it can do today.” This is what I can say, when a friend is asking what I’m doing (playing with Ptq).
     After reading what ”davidizquierdo82” said, (thanks), I had to read this thread again and listen again to v piano examples. And I have been thinking about these interesting opinions/thoughts in this thread, PianoV vs. Ptq. So, I try to look at this discussion from a different point of view. - I have learned that some things don’t change, that is, we hear different. And people are used to hear pianos in a certain way, and we all, when playing, hear very differently. And personal preference have influence on how we make a decision, good or not so good pianosound.           
     I ask myself, what have shaped their (people at Arturia and Modartt) sense of piano characteristics? How many have grown up restoring pianos, tuning pianos, made concert tuning and worked with prestigious artists? In my opinion, things like these, together with mathematical skills, are very important when modelling pianosound.
     As I see it, Arturia is new in the modelling world, and they can of course develop their sound and get it better, they are, as they say,  ”a team of passionate people dedicated to musicians”, but it can take time.
     Modartt have made physically modelled pianos many years. Philippe was a pianotuner and concert technician already in the 70’s and Ptq was created 2006, and the Ptq adventure goes on. In my opinion, they know how to do it. There are good sampled sounds, Arturia sounds quite good at the moment - but the sound created by Ptq is unlike anything else. I like it, I’m a pianoteqenthusiast.
     And what have shaped my sense of piano characteristics? I got my understanding of how a pianosound should sound (subjective of course), listening to pianotuners every year, when they were tuning many pianos at my school and at home (one, a friend, have been in New York, where he was trained and worked as a concert technician for Steinway & Sons on Manhattan).
     So, with Ptq, I can experience like I am sitting at the wonderful, amazing Bluethner Grand piano, a beautiful instrument, my favorite Ptq, and say: Let’s see what it can do today. When playing, I can almost feel the enthusiasm Modartt have, when they modelling a piano. Hopefully they make a new piano soon. I suppose they always have something going on. Steinway, Bluethner, Grotrian…..what’s next? And, how will Arturia develop piano V? What mathematic model/physical model can they use? Can it come closer to Pianoteq? Only time will tell.
     Thank you all for sharing your opinion and ideas. It makes life more interesting.
     And thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts.
     Well, thats what I thik about it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Very inspiring and its always interesting to read from people who like and lives near pianos. After spending many hours with piano V, for me it`s not ready yet, I and like Pianoteq much more. It will be very interesting in the future.