Re: New features you want to Pianoteq (not instruments)

ddascher wrote:

It seems redundant that we need to set a touch/velocity curve for every different "piano" we utilize in Pianoteq ... It would be nice to, at least, allow us to have a "default" velocity curve and that would be the one used unless we specifically assigned a different one for a particular piano type in Pianoteq.

It is very easy to set a default velocity curve that will be in effect for all instrument presets (any preset you choose)--

* Create a velocity curve, then save it under a custom name (such as "My Velocity Curve"). Then, regardless of which instrument preset you are currently using, select your custom velocity curve from the drop-down menu in the title of the Velocity Curve pane.

* Click the "Freeze Parameters" button in the main window (the graphic of a box with a checkmark in it at upper right), then under "Velocity Curves," click (checkmark) the Note-On Velocity (and optionally the Note-Off Velocity), then click the "Set as Default" button at the bottom of that freeze-parameters window.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (04-09-2017 01:38)
--
Linux, Pianoteq Pro, Organteq

Stephen_Doonan wrote:
ddascher wrote:

It seems redundant that we need to set a touch/velocity curve for every different "piano" we utilize in Pianoteq ... It would be nice to, at least, allow us to have a "default" velocity curve and that would be the one used unless we specifically assigned a different one for a particular piano type in Pianoteq.

It is very easy to set a default velocity curve that will be in effect for all instrument presets (any preset you choose)--

* Create a velocity curve, then save it under a custom name (such as "My Velocity Curve"). Then, regardless of which instrument preset you are currently using, select your custom velocity curve from the drop-down menu in the title of the Velocity Curve pane.

* Click the "Freeze Parameters" button in the main window (the graphic of a box with a checkmark in it at upper right), then under "Velocity Curves," click (checkmark) the Note-On Velocity (and optionally the Note-Off Velocity), then click the "Set as Default" button at the bottom of that freeze-parameters window.

Ok .... I could do that.     That, of course, is known as a work-around.    It might be better to just be able to designate a specific velocity curve as THE DEFAULT.

Or .... I could do what I do now .... I just copy the curve from some other preset and paste into the one I am designing.

The issue that can arise with those types of work-arounds is that if I need a different velocity curve for my NEW DIGITAL PIANO .... I have to go back and change all of those previous curves.

If we had a default curve ..... we would have to have it so if you change IT .... it automatically affects any preset that it was a part of .... UNLESS you told the software not to do that ....

So, it gets a bit more complicated as you get into the details .... (it always does) .... but I do think it would be a nice feature.

I am a big proponent of this.  Until we are granted TWO velocity curves (one for 'keyboard correction', and the other for 'creativity', then there are workarounds.  Here's what I discovered:

With the help of a friend, I found a separate software solution: MIDI Velocity Curve Changer by Trombettworks ( www.trombettworks.com ).  This is an older freeware utility whose only purpose is to be a velocity curve modifier. I use my corrective velocity curve here, feed that into an external virtual MIDI cable such as LoopBe Internal MIDI, and then feed that as the source into Pianoteq.  There is another program that does the same thing that I have not tried,

http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/pro … sMIDIfier/

as well as a 'hardware solution', an external processor box that plugs in between the keyboard and the computer, the velocity converter made by MIDI Solutions:

http://midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm  (look for products – velocity converter)

The downside of using a software solution as I indicated above is that it eats up some processor cycles, adding to your latency. Originally I thought this would not work, but then I made some modifications to my computer, a Windows Surface Pro4, that ran much more efficiently afterwards, allowing me to then "sneak in" the external velocity converter without having bumped my Pianoteq perceivable latency past the threshold that my brain finds troublesome. The downside of using a hardware converter, such as the MIDI Solutions box above, is that it is more money, costing approximately $120. In the future, I may go the hardware solution, but currently the software solution is working just fine.

- David

ddascher wrote:

The issue that can arise with those types of work-arounds is that if I need a different velocity curve for my NEW DIGITAL PIANO .... I have to go back and change all of those previous curves.

No, you don't. You create a new velocity curve and save it as (for example) "NEW DIGITAL PIANO" and delete the older velocity curve for your previous digital piano (unless you want to use it occasionally).

Then, leaving the Note-On velocity curve checkmarked in the Freeze-Parameters window, you simply select your "NEW DIGITAL PIANO" velocity curve in the velocity-curve pane, and any preset you choose, even after you quit and restart Pianoteq, will use your "NEW DIGITAL PIANO" velocity curve (if you had previously pressed the "Save as Default" button in the Freeze-Parameters window after checkmarking the Note-On velocity curve). Your custom velocity curve will, in effect, be your default velocity curve, until you create-and-select a new one, or select one of the built-in velocity curves.

With a two-tiered velocity curve there may be substantial complications and considerations known to the programmers/developers that are unknown to us.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (04-09-2017 13:40)
--

You already decide whether or not you freeze velocities, via a single interaction!  Please, let's just keep some things as simple as possible until Pianoteq developers should decide for both a default curve and a preset curve on a drop down menu: for something, anything but an economical savings in manual er physical exertion at an interface, if you do your math!  But, let's see:

1.)  Per your manual you manually calibrate your keyboard or load a ready made keyboard velocity curve from the Pianoteq Keyboard velocity curves forum.

2.)  Name and save your keyboard velocity curve.

3.)  With it loaded, check to freeze velocity note-on importantly and note-off parameters optionally.

4.)  Click "Save as default," if needed.

5.)  Load a preset; when it loads it does with whatever curve you loaded right before you checked to freeze any velocity and clicked to save it as your default, necessarily.

Anytime you want to revert a preset back to its original velocity curve and other original parameters, you copy it to the A or B window just to keep any recent changes, press and hold your input device about two (2) seconds for your cursor to hover over the preset name.  Which afterwards will appear without the word "modified" showing in parentheses () alongside it.  With the recently changed preset having been copied to the other window, you may copy the original velocity curve from the preset reverted to its original state and apply that to the newly altered one  —fine!

Last edited by Amen Ptah Ra (10-12-2018 19:48)
Pianoteq 8 Studio Bundle, Pearl malletSTATION EM1, Roland (DRUM SOUND MODULE TD-30, HandSonic 10, AX-1), Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DIGITAL PIANO P-95, M-Audio STUDIOPHILE BX5, Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP.

Amen Ptah Ra wrote:

Please, let's just keep some things as simple as possible until Pianoteq developers should decide for both a default curve and a preset curve on a drop down menu ...

Good, sensible, rational points.

Last edited by Stephen_Doonan (04-09-2017 14:12)
--

MIDI overdub.

2 use cases:

1. You want to practise your left and right hand separately, or you want to play a piece for four or six hands.

2. Composition. Sometimes I come up with an idea when I am messing about at the piano and I want to layer something on top of it quickly so I can remember it for later. At this stage, I don't want to launch my DAW because it's too much of a distraction in too many ways. I just want to note my idea very quickly, using the sounds of just the one piano, so that I can get back asap to improvising and playing.

Pianoteq v8 wishlist:

1. General model improvements (better hammer attack, improved string model, improved soundboard model, improved sound radiation model.

2. Change the number of strings per note, up to six and down to 1.

3. Tunable longitudinal modes (mass, winding tension factors) for wound strings so you don't end up with dissonant low drones that plague long string lengths.

Last edited by lowendtheory (30-09-2022 17:49)

lowendtheory wrote:

Pianoteq v8 wishlist:

1. General model improvements (better hammer attack, improved string model, improved soundboard model, improved sound radiation model.

3. Tunable longitudinal modes (mass, winding tension factors) for wound strings so you don't end up with dissonant low drones that plague long string lengths.

+1 to those ideas.

It would be interesting to see if they could do that stuff without substantial CPU hit though.

Key Fumbler wrote:
lowendtheory wrote:

Pianoteq v8 wishlist:

+1 to those ideas.

It would be interesting to see if they could do that stuff without substantial CPU hit though.

The last one can be easily exposed in the Pro interface, and should be simple and intuitive* enough to edit, given that the Bluthner had an update which raised the pitch of some bass string longitudinal modes without changing the rest of the notes' tonality.

*Depends on total number of parameters affecting longitudinal mode tuning, volume, and character.

Key Fumbler wrote:
lowendtheory wrote:

Pianoteq v8 wishlist:

+1 to those ideas.

+1 from me as well, especially for point no.1.

dazric wrote:

+1 from me as well, especially for point no.1.

+1 for the +1 to "especially for point no.1"

Not really that bothered about the other two,  just want to see (the already excellent)  Pianoteq getting better and better!