Topic: Greetings, impressions, and a request....

Hi,
    First (well, 2nd) post here. I had tried the orignal version of Pianoteq
on my Receptor quite a while ago, and my impression then was that it was very fun and gratifying to play, albeit lacking some in realism.
    After finally getting around to playing extensively with the newest demo version yesterday, I am very much impressed with how far the tone has come, and look forward to seeing additional progress in the upcoming version. My unsolicited opinion is that it still is a notch below the best sampled pianos in realism for individual notes and tone, but it is probably TWO notches above those for playability, and the overtones seem to bend together very nicely. The sympathetic resonance greatly enhances the playing experience.
     I am mostly interested in Pianoteq for live use, and I am also one who prefers to work with a fairly limited palette of sounds that I love than to use many different variations. All I really want from Pianoteq is
one excellent "character" upright, and one more stately grand piano type sound.
      I absolutely ADORE the user created fxp Blues_UprightBright on this site. A couple of minor tweaks to personalize it and it would suit me for a good long while on the upright front. (Thanks to the BazC, creator of this preset!!!!!)   
        My request is for a couple of suggestions for a grand piano type patch for rock/jazz - not artificially bright, but bright enough to play with a band. Something that would appeal to Nicky Hopkins circa Beggars Banquet, but also playable in a solo piano context.
Anyone have any favorite fxp's on this site they think I should try out?

Thanks all!!!!!!!!

Re: Greetings, impressions, and a request....

Beethree wrote:

All I really want from Pianoteq is

That's pretty much what I want too, welcome to Pianoteq! Glad you like my .fxp! It's not quite how I would like it, it's a little harsh in the higher registers and a little muddy in the lower ones but there's not much I can do about that. I don't know if you're aware but a new Pianoteq version due out in the next couple of months or so, it's a major rewrite so I'm sure they will have made it even more realistic. My guess is it will come with at least one new grand and I have my fingers crossed for at least one properly modelled upright!

BazC wrote:
Beethree wrote:

All I really want from Pianoteq is

That's pretty much what I want too, welcome to Pianoteq! Glad you like my .fxp! It's not quite how I would like it, it's a little harsh in the higher registers and a little muddy in the lower ones but there's not much I can do about that. I don't know if you're aware but a new Pianoteq version due out in the next couple of months or so, it's a major rewrite so I'm sure they will have made it even more realistic. My guess is it will come with at least one new grand and I have my fingers crossed for at least one properly modelled upright!

I am going to try it using an EQ other than the onboard, and see if that makes it even better.  It really puts me in mind of the piano sound on Otis Spann's Walking the Blues, which I have been really into of late. I quite like it.
So thanks again!!

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, I've tried EQing but so far I haven't figured out how to change the lower notes without having some effect on the higher ones and vice versa. I'm not vey knowledgeable about such things though

Thought you might like to know I've uploaded a new C3 version of my Blues_Upright.fxp it's a big improvement in my opinion with much more depth and realism and a more balanced tone.

Cheers!

Stretch Those Strings........But as mentioned above, it's a global edit.
Once you get the sound in the upper registers exactly the way you like it, the lower registers change as well. Zone editing would be very nice.
But if these guys do an Upright Model I would be ecstatic.
The free upgrade for old users was incredibly generous, but I don't expect that in the future, and would be more than happy to pay for any new Models.
I record when the jobs are available, but my income is mostly from live performance and I agree that many presets is good but right now I have a Grand, semi Upright, Rhodes and Wurlitzer all on 1 MIDI channel since these instruments will rarely be layered, unless of course someone requests " A Remark You Made " by Weather Report where Zawinul layered a Grand w/ a Rhodes/MXR 100 Phaser, this is an excellent totally self contained instrument where a simple preset change dan call up another model instead of the old changing of the MIDI Channel.
I now have more room for Giga Strings or Romplers, and 3 newly acquired MIDI Channels.............live players gotta love this instrument, I know I am not the only one.
Did I forget to say no dongle, and no need for 64bit now ????.......Yessiree..

Hardware Analog, DSP, PhysMod. VSTi Romplers....

Have you tried working with the new C3 Worn-out? It's not an upright, but it may be a good starting point for the grand that you want.

Teamsterjim and Jake Johnson thanks for the suggestions! Actually I'm very happy with my latest version based on the C3 grand, it will definately serve my purposes until Modarrt release a properly modelled upright. Please feel free to modify my fxp and post the results if you want to though!

Incidentally Modarrt are working on an upright, they actually released it for beta testing but weren't happy with it so it was withdrawn. Apparently they are still looking for a really good upright to base it on.

here's what Guillaume posted in an earlier thread.

"Hi all,
It is true that we have worked on an upright model but we were not satisfied with it during the beta tests, and still we are not satisfied with it. It is lacking character and would probably not fulfill your expectations. Indeed, we are still looking for a really nice sounding and original upright piano to model."