Topic: Suggested model - Barenboim Piano

Dear all,

How about a Barenboim Piano as a Pianoteq model???

Kindest Regards,

Chris

Re: Suggested model - Barenboim Piano

Not before a Bösendorfer

Hard work and guts!

; )

So this is a throwback to pianos whose strings all run parallel to one another throughout the entire keyboard range.  Most modern pianos of all brands (excepting perhaps the Baremboim) follow the flared, two-layer (where the bass strings' orientations are flared and overlap the piano's tenor strings) stringing pattern set by the original Steinway D back in the 1880's.

Tone quality and playability notwithstanding, the reason Baremboim seems to be so ecstatic about the piano ... probably has to do more with his surname being printed on the fallboard.  When it comes to self-promotion, perhaps P.T. Barnum was right:  "A sucker is born every minute."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/...ve-with-it

Personally, I believe there are many other pianos (mentioned countless times in the Pianoteq forum that they don't need to be mentioned here) that continue to deserve placement in front of the Baremboim piano.

Cheers,

Joe

EDIT:  There are only two examples of the Baremboim piano in existence -- DB's personal instrument and one owned by the designer.  This fact, combined with the notion that a custom Baremboim piano will cost at least three times the price of a new Steinway D, makes for some fine "navel contemplation" only. 

End EDIT

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (23-03-2017 02:19)

Uhhnn, I reammber about 2 or more years before, in this forum, about a attempt to bring back straight parallel strings, oposed to the idea of crossed strings, in order to make notes more clear/transparent and individual in tone. Was it the Barenboing piano years ago or also another person concept about straight strings in a modern piano?

Nice video about Barenboin with his instrument, playing and explaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GTU9uM9s70

I have a idea. Since pianoteq have some sort of "metaphysiscs hability", like it did making the deep bass note of a single string sound honky for a specific preset, I would like to propose the idea of altered the strings angle, inclination, crossed angle, with a progressive pedal, from parallel straight to crossed strings. This would allow to control the "individuality" of notes.

This would turn pianoteq into something beautiful and at the same time unic during the playing, not possible in the real piano world, but only in the modelled piano world.

Last edited by Beto-Music (23-03-2017 05:46)

At THAT sort of price I would EXPECT my OWN NAME to be on the fall board.

Heck, I resent having the manufacturer's name on my vehicle - it is pointless.
By the time a pedestrian can read "Dodge" it is too late to move out of the way

Beto - - did you REALLY mean Baren-boing ?

Last edited by aandrmusic (29-03-2017 21:44)

The piano in the video seems just the classical Steinway with crossed strings, is it? I think I also spotted the Fabbrini logo on the right side.

EvilDragon wrote:

Not before a Bösendorfer

+1

Last edited by Chopin87 (29-03-2017 23:45)
"And live to be the show and gaze o' the time."  (William Shakespeare)

Chopin87 wrote:

The piano in the video seems just the classical Steinway with crossed strings, is it? I think I also spotted the Fabbrini logo on the right side.

EvilDragon wrote:

Not before a Bösendorfer

+1

In some of them there is a Barenboim, in others as you say Fabbrini logo on S&S

A general question re overstrung vs straight strung.

Is it a MAJOR structural difference, i.e. can a manufacturer use MOST of the same parts with different positioning of pins, bridges, etc  ?
Could an overstrung be taken apart and rebuilt as straight strung ? or the other way around ?
Just curious.

aandrmusic wrote:

A general question re overstrung vs straight strung.

Is it a MAJOR structural difference, i.e. can a manufacturer use MOST of the same parts with different positioning of pins, bridges, etc  ?
Could an overstrung be taken apart and rebuilt as straight strung ? or the other way around ?
Just curious.

Depending on the rib scale (how many ribs and at what angle they are relative to the fallboard), a new bridge(s) might have to be made to
fall on a rib, which helps the sustain of the notes at the end of the bridge(s), not to mention a new plate. Hammer bore angles would have
to be redone in areas where the strings are at an angle, usually the middle, tenor, and bass sections. Hammer heights in the bass would
have to be changed to account for the new height of the bass section.